Sign in to follow this  
button_man

when will gsp fight again?who's next?

a winner with the mike swick and dan hardy fight would be ok,but i think its better to match up both winners of kos vs a.johnson. the winner of the two fight gets a shot with gsp.

I think Rumble poses the biggest threat to G.S.P.

even if rumble won he wouldnt get the belt since he fights 6 pounds over weight.

I like rumble johnson...... I enjoy his style alot.

but there is no way he would beat GSP.

that being said I think he would be the most entertaining match up with GSP.

I hate koscheck..... but even I will admit that his style has been getting alot more entertaining...... I even found myself rooting for him against trigg.

they should have matched hardy with koscheck and swick with johnson..... as it is I dont think the hardy swick fight will be that great. and I think koscheck and rumble on the same card fighting 2 different opponents would make for 2 exiting fights.

It wouldn't be a good fight Anthony GSP would easily beable to get the take down where he'd end Rumble there...

true.

I would still rather pay to see that fight then washed up tito VS lovable loser forrest.

just found out about carwin/lesnar being bumped back. UFC106 now has nothing going for it.

I think Swick is most deserving for a title shot. If he gets through Hardy which I think he will, I hope he gets a shot at GSP, would be a great fight. Rumble doesnt deserve a shot as of yet, I dont think he's been truely tested at welterweight, he needs to beat at least 2 big names before being considered #1 contender. If he fights and gets wins over Koscheck and Alves then maybe, but thats a big IF. Matt Hughes is suppose to make a comeback I wonder who he will fight?

Rumble vs GSP (IMO)would be the most entertaining but I don't see anyone taking his belt for at least a couple of years. Long live the King of the Welterweight division.

Winner of Kos vs Rumble should fight winner of Hardy vs Swick for the title shot. How can anybody think that Hardy vs Swick will not be entertaining? Are you serious? I think it's going to be fantastic. That being said, I do think Carwin should fight at 106. It would make it a much better card. 107 will be a much better show. Finally, GSP can easily lose to somebody who has good take down defense and striking. They re-aired the first Penn vs GSP fight, and Penn beat him down. He lost the fight via split decision (the decisino was the correct) but GSP if looked at them after the fight, you'd have though BJ won. Everybody was SO surprised when Machida was handled, don't be surprised when GSP is handled as well.

Winner of Kos vs Rumble should fight winner of Hardy vs Swick for the title shot. How can anybody think that Hardy vs Swick will not be entertaining? Are you serious? I think it's going to be fantastic. That being said' date=' I do think Carwin should fight at 106. It would make it a much better card. 107 will be a much better show. Finally, GSP can easily lose to somebody who has good take down defense and striking. They re-aired the first Penn vs GSP fight, and Penn beat him down. He lost the fight via split decision (the decisino was the correct) but GSP if looked at them after the fight, you'd have though BJ won. Everybody was SO surprised when Machida was handled, don't be surprised when GSP is handled as well.[/quote']

I like the matches you suggested, as it would create the perfect contender, but if Swick and Koscheck won, they wouldn't fight each other, since they are teammates.

St. Georges should jump up to 185 for a fight, while the winner or hardy/swick and kos/rumble fight for a title shot. also if the fitch/alves fight happens, and fitch wins, he's 1 more win away from another shot, in my opinion.

St. Georges should jump up to 185 for a fight' date=' while the winner or hardy/swick and kos/rumble fight for a title shot. also if the fitch/alves fight happens, and fitch wins, he's 1 more win away from another shot, in my opinion.[/quote']

Just playin' here ... if Rush moves to 185 by the fall of 2010, we could ask for "Rush vs.Phenom", .. then Strikeforce goes belly-up & the winner gets Shields ... rock & roll anybody ? .. :rolleyes:

GSP first to hold two belts at the same time in UFC' date=' it's coming.[/quote']

i hope ur not suggesting he somehow cuts 15 points and get raped by BJ penn ( people have CUT weight and won belts in lower divisions, but BJ penn and Coutoure are the only 2 people who "ADD" weight and win a title ).

That being said, u think he can beat anderson silva? He himself knows he cant, he has REPEATDLY said its not a good time for him to add the weight, and he would have to change his entire workout regimn....... aka scared.

He would rather fight guys like Swick/Hardy both who realistically pose no threat to him.

-

Going to take someone with a wrestling background and good standup or as we have all seen... He will land 10 takedowns, and hit u from your gaurd.

Just playin' here ... if Rush moves to 185 by the fall of 2010' date=' we could ask for "Rush vs.Phenom", .. then Strikeforce goes belly-up & the winner gets Shields ... rock & roll anybody ? .. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I'd love to see GSP/Shields. there's no clear number 1 contender right now at 170. so he should fight at 185. then after total domination in that fight, all of the clowns can shut up about how GSP/Silva is a joke.

I'd love to see GSP/Shields. there's no clear number 1 contender right now at 170. so he should fight at 185. then after total domination in that fight' date=' all of the clowns can shut up about how GSP/Silva is a joke.[/quote']

... many people consider "Spider vs.Machida" a joke too, so perhaps Anderson avoids that conflict by staying @ 185 after his possible match w/ Belfort . Unfortunately that fight remains unsigned, .. I'm not convinced Spider wants to take RT.185, he loves to eat & we know about his "walking-around" weight . :eek:

I hope they set up a fight with Johnson. He is clearly the future of the division - if he can make the weight!

I would give him as good a chance as anyone at beating GSP, but I think GSP would just take him down and beat on him.

The difference is that JOhnson could put GSPs lights out if he makes a mistake.

I hope they set up a fight with Johnson. He is clearly the future of the division - if he can make the weight!

I would give him as good a chance as anyone at beating GSP' date=' but I think GSP would just take him down and beat on him.

The difference is that [b']JOhnson could put GSPs lights out if he makes a mistake[/b].

Why do people keep saying this crap? No one has ever put GSP's lights out with a punch. The closest was Serra with a shot behind the ear which as I'm sure your aware, is illegal, and a bad missed call by the ref. Do you seriously believe in his mma career GSP has never been clocked? Get serious. No one is going to give GSP a good fight at ww.

Dana has already said that the winner of Swick/Hardy gets GSP.

Rumble is a good up and comer but remember how Pitbull was doninating Welters until he stepped in with GSP. He looked like a novice.

UFC will have a hard time selling GSP vs any close contenders except that people want to see GSP.

Silva is dominating with a different style as was Machida until Shogun beat him. Silva will go down eventually and GSPs takedowns and G&P is what I think could do it.

RIght.

Matt Serra can put GSPs lights out but Rumble Johnson can't?

Johnson catchs GSP coming in and its all over.

What are you, thick? No one has ever put GSP's lights out. You are living on the fact Serra hit GSP with an illegal punch which rocked him and should have been caught by the referee. By the rules, GSP should have been given time to recover. Your basing your arguement on something that has never happened before as no one has ever rocked GSP badly with a legal punch.

bj broke gsp' nose in the first fight, but didnt stun him at all. johnson wont be fighting long enough at ww to get a title shot. the weight cut that he makes is going to start taking its toll and he wont be able to do it very much longer. he can barely do it now, he has failed to make weight twice already.

Remember that BJ poked GSP in the eye first and that was not called either...also that was a long time aga, GSP has and is improving.

Alves caught Georges square in the Jaw with a right and didn't do anything.

index.cfm?fa=fighter.GalleryImgDetail&gid=0&aid=22294&pid=330&catid=0&return=fa%3Dfighter.detail%26amp%3Bpid%3D330%26amp%3Bgid%3D0%26amp%3Bcatid%3D0&searchstring=

Rumble has a way to go.

bj broke gsp' nose in the first fight' date=' but didnt stun him at all. johnson wont be fighting long enough at ww to get a title shot. the weight cut that he makes is going to start taking its toll and he wont be able to do it very much longer. he can barely do it now, he has failed to make weight twice already.[/quote']

Exactly.

11/7 ... Jake Shields takes on Mayhem Miller & you can bet Rush will be watching,

"GSP vs Shields" would garner much attention, the 10 year veteran Shields, makes his second attempt @ 185 vs Miller .

Swick was meant to get a shot if he went through kampmann, and INHO Hardy is better than Kampmann, so I say Swick gets the next shot, and we run a mini-tournament between now and the summer with the winners of johsnon - Koscheck and Condit - Daley facing off to get the next shot.

If the likes of Alves or Fitch go on a run, then they get the next shot after that...

That should be enough to be going on with...

true.

I would still rather pay to see that fight then washed up tito VS lovable loser forrest.

just found out about carwin/lesnar being bumped back. UFC106 now has nothing going for it.

Same here I was looking forward to Lesnar Vs Carwin and that fight made the Card for me... Now it's just Tito and Forrest and think of them the same the washed up fighter versus the sore lovable loser that I don't care if he wins or loses... The only good fight I wouldn't mind seeing in little Nog Vs Luiz Cane and the Kos Vs Rumble... I'm satisfied just looking up the results if I can't catch a video of those fights on You Tube...

Why do people keep saying this crap? No one has ever put GSP's lights out with a punch. The closest was Serra with a shot behind the ear which as I'm sure your aware' date=' is illegal, and a bad missed call by the ref. Do you seriously believe in his mma career GSP has never been clocked? Get serious. No one is going to give GSP a good fight at ww.[/quote']

its the back of the head that you cant hit not behind the ear... and the only reason for that is bcuz they dont want you to hit ther spinal cord and that the bone in the back of ur skul is very thin compared to the rest of ur skull.....SOOOO serras punch was legal

its the back of the head that you cant hit not behind the ear... and the only reason for that is bcuz they dont want you to hit ther spinal cord and that the bone in the back of ur skul is very thin compared to the rest of ur skull.....SOOOO serras punch was legal

true

GSP' date=' Serra and Hughs are all do to fight

been too long[/quote']

GSP has only been out of action a bit over 3 months and he suffered a groin injury vs Alves...you won't see GSP until Feb/March 2010. But yeah, Serra and Hughes fought in May, should be due up soon.

Back to the thread, based on merit if Swick gets by Hardy I think he deserves the next shot. If Hardy wins? Its good for his career, but by no means would he deserve or be ready for a shot at GSP. I think the winner of Kos and Rumble will be one more win away from a title shot.

The other guy who by rights should be damn close is Fitch....you know he wants that rematch, and he appears to have made some improvements in his game....although likely to still be overmatched versus GSP.

What are you' date=' thick? No one has ever put GSP's lights out. You are living on the fact Serra hit GSP with an illegal punch which rocked him and should have been caught by the referee. By the rules, GSP should have been given time to recover. Your basing your arguement on something that has never happened before as no one has ever rocked GSP badly with a legal punch.[/quote']

Naw. I'm a big fan of GSP, but he got caught vs Serra by a legal punch. Did he get his lights put out? Hardly, he was rocked and Serra was smart and kept the heat on...ref had to stop it. But yes, GSP was never out.

And just becasue nobody has ever Ko'd him doesn't mean nobody can.....sooner or later everyone gets beat....I just don't see that happening for a while with GSP unless he moves up, and even then......

Naw. I'm a big fan of GSP' date=' but he got caught vs Serra by a legal punch. Did he get his lights put out? Hardly, he was rocked and Serra was smart and kept the heat on...ref had to stop it. But yes, GSP was never out.

And just becasue nobody has ever Ko'd him doesn't mean nobody can.....sooner or later everyone gets beat....I just don't see that happening for a while with GSP unless he moves up, and even then......[/quote']

Actually since the GSP/Serra fight took place in 2007 it preceded the ABC's 2008 rule change which included the "headphone" rule. Any strike behind the ear past where a headphone would rest is deemed an illegal strike. Now it is the "Mohawk" rule. Any area running down the center of the skull from the crown to the spine with a one inch variance on either side. It was changed by the urging of Big John McCarthy saying any fighter can avoid damage while on the ground by simply turning their head and avoiding the gnp therefore nullifying the mechanics of the sport.

I want to see someone handle Anderson. I think Marquardt is the most likely.

I would say out of the 3 main MW contenders (hendo, vetor, nate) Belfort stands the best chance against the spider bc he is the only one who can match silvas hand speed, then i would give hendo the next best chance bc he is the only fighter in the ufc to beat silva in a round, lastly i give nate the least chance bc he was knocked out in the first round by silva and isnt the same caliber of fighter of a belfort or hendo...i think nate should fight rich to prove himself worthy bc the maia fight was impressive but maia is still a little ***** and isnt enough of a challenge, however hendo beat rich then bisping and belfort dominated rich deeming them more worthy

No matter who fights GSP next, if he wins, it was to be expected, if he loses, this forum will blow up in a away never before seen with people crying..GSP causes too much controversy. Regardless...go Hardy and Rumble

I think rumble vs paul daley would be a great one too

I like this match-up also, but the "walking around weight" stats are freaky along w/ a significant height & reach difference .. :eek: maybe kos/daley & rumble/rush .

Actually since the GSP/Serra fight took place in 2007 it preceded the ABC's 2008 rule change which included the "headphone" rule. Any strike behind the ear past where a headphone would rest is deemed an illegal strike. Now it is the "Mohawk" rule. Any area running down the center of the skull from the crown to the spine with a one inch variance on either side. It was changed by the urging of Big John McCarthy saying any fighter can avoid damage while on the ground by simply turning their head and avoiding the gnp therefore nullifying the mechanics of the sport.

Have the fight on tape, will have to rewatch it. Until this thread I personally had never heard anyone claim Serra's punch was illegal. Heat of battle, that sort of thing....would be different if it were repeated like the kicks to the groin. A head shot is often tough for a ref to see exactly where it lands...they don't have the luxury of instant replay, or the same angles the cameras have. Either way, hardly my point....that was the closest GSP has ever been to lights out, but he wasn't.

11/7 ... Jake Shields takes on Mayhem Miller & you can bet Rush will be watching' date='

"GSP vs Shields" would garner much attention, the 10 year veteran Shields, makes his second attempt @ 185 vs Miller .[/quote']

I agree " Shields is the only real threat to GSP at welterweight": Jake Rossen The UFC should grab Shields and make the WW division interesting again. On his current 12 fight win streak Shields has wins over four top ten and four top 20-30 opponents. Compare Swick and Hardy who have two top 20-30 wins each and no top 10 wins, in careers not just last 12.

In the mean time GSP could move up to the competition, there is some risk,he could lose to the bigger fighters. Shields could look great beating up Top 20-30 WW's, but he is taking a chance for more compelling fights against top MW's Lawler, Miller, Santiago, Jacare, Linland and maybe Hendo. GSP should do the same, except for Shields there is no one for him to face at WW. (maybe Fitch rematch?)