Sign in to follow this  
JamieMMA23

Frank Mir at Lightheavyweight?

I have a hard time imagining him being able to do that... I hope this doesn't become a trend where all the heavyweights who aren't hulking brutes get chased out of the division.

If he could do it though more power to him.

He'd have to rape his body to manage that, over the last couple of months Mir tried to gain enough mass to fight brock at 265, dropping 60 pounds to fight at 205 is unrealistic and definitely not healthy

... he was tko'd in 1:09 by lhw Vera' date=' > Mir is a b-team hw w/ 5 tko-losses[/quote']

That was then and this is now......if Mir fought Vera now.....Mir would retire Vera!

That was then and this is now......if Mir fought Vera now.....Mir would retire Vera!

true that, besides that Vera already potentially got retired by Bones his elbow of destruction.

I think Mir is too busy making too many changes and just needs to take a step back and relax. If you never take time to get comfortable at a weight you'll never be........well.........comfortable. Why he would go from 265 down to 205 is a flat out mystery to me. I still think if he had a better game plan against Carwin he would've done atleast alot better and possibly pulled it off. Can he really be that scared of today's bigger heavyweights?

I don't see Mir having the speed to compete with todays LHW division.

The loss of power with the drop would also hurt his chances.

Mir would get mollywhopped at LHW. Give him another fight at HWT against Cain since he has nothing going on with Brock/Carwin and Junior/Nelson and let him get stompes again and then he can just stay home.

I think making the cut to 205 would be pretty tough, but if he did manage it I think his BJJ would improve as he would have more speed and flexibility. His boxing is already pretty good but he'd add some speed there too. Just not sure if he could comfortably make that weight though.

Cain Velasquez is around 240 and I don't think he'd have trouble with the big guys who have to cut to make 265. Furthermore, he has the added benefit of not having to dehydrate himself before the fight.

I guess you just need to learn to work with what you have. I don't think Frank Mir would be anymore successful at 205, although who knows? He did say he was going to watch what he ate and just see where his weight fell. If it was low enough to make a safe cut to 205, he would do it. He was a rather unnatural 265, as he had to purposefully bulk up to make that weight. His body wouldn't naturally carry that mass, by his own admission. However, I wonder why he didn't give himself a chance to stay at that weight longer in order to get used to it.

Mir at 205? I can't see him making the cut and if he did he'd be drained. He needs to accept that his lot in life as a fighter is gatekeeper in the HW division. Of course Mir has never been much good at accepting reality.

Cain Velasquez is around 240 and I don't think he'd have trouble with the big guys who have to cut to make 265. Furthermore' date=' he has the added benefit of not having to dehydrate himself before the fight.

I guess you just need to learn to work with what you have. I don't think Frank Mir would be anymore successful at 205, although who knows? He did say he was going to watch what he ate and just see where his weight fell. If it was low enough to make a safe cut to 205, he would do it. He was a rather unnatural 265, as he had to purposefully bulk up to make that weight. His body wouldn't naturally carry that mass, by his own admission. However, I wonder why he didn't give himself a chance to stay at that weight longer in order to get used to it.[/quote']

The Cain part is pretty much a guess, who know he may have a huge issue with them.

Not saying he will.

Mir build up to 265, people like Brock and Carwin are cutting to 265 they are used to being at that weight and training at it. Mir would need a solid year or more fighting lesser fighters at that weight, to develope what comes natural to them and still not be as used to using that weight as they are. Mir will not start over in mma or just fight gatekeepers for that long, with the knowledge he will not get a shot.

Currently he needs a fight before facing Cain or JDS, which are really the only 2 left in the UFC for him to test.

Mir simply needs a new camp, bad gamepplan in Brock/Mir 2 and awful gameplan vs Carwin.

He can take the gatekeppers, but he needs better gameplans for the top.

Just wondering what you guys think of Frank Mir's possible drop to 205 pounds?

I think it would be a great move for him and surely he would make a good run at the title' date=' however after putting on so much weight/muscle in the last year or so the drop in weight may prove difficult.

http://www.fightline.com/fl/news/2010/0607/528924/frank-mir/index.shtml[/quote']

I dont think it would be a good idea just yet. He bulked up a lot and looked great in his fight prior to Carwin. He didn't really get a chance to show what he's got in the Carwin fight, because he got obliterated with like 10 uppercuts. He's still got too much to prove. I think he'll be stickng around at HW

... he was tko'd in 1:09 by lhw Vera' date=' > Mir is a b-team hw w/ 5 tko-losses[/quote']

now veras one of the worst at a lighter weight nd mirs at top, mir would embarrass vera in a rematch and everyone knows it

if anyone should drop a weightclass it should be mirko

I think that cut would be ridiculously hard for a young athlete. At Mirs age even if he could make it I think he would be too drained to fight anyone.

Vera cutting wieght was a good idea, Mir is much bigger older then him though and I dont think he could manage it.

The guy needs to just stay with a weight, focus on his ground game again and try to go back to being an aggressive BJJ guy who takes people down and submits them rather then waiting to use it off his back and hoping he can get the space and separation to sub from the bottom.