Shogun to Middleweight?

khazaljj

Truth is, there are so many dudes at LHW right now who can cut down to MW. Shogun, Evans, and Machida are all, frame-wise, smaller than Anderson.

On the other hand, you could make the case that dudes like Anderson, Sonnen, Belfort, and Okami could all just as easily move up to LHW.

I think Shogun could make the cut and not be drained to be honest. I don't think he cuts to get to 205 anyway' date=' does he?[/quote']

his walking weight i read is around 225 lbs(it could be wrong though), but silvas is around 230, i guess its possible in that aspect, but shoguns cardio isn't the greatest so i wouldn't expect him to drain himself further to make MW, hopefully anderson goes up to 205, cuz imo Anderson vs any top LHW > Anderson vs GSP

Truth is' date=' there are so many dudes at LHW right now who can cut down to MW. Shogun, Evans, and Machida are all, frame-wise, smaller than Anderson.

On the other hand, you could make the case that dudes like Anderson, Sonnen, Belfort, and Okami could all just as easily move up to LHW.[/quote']

Yes but the MW division is weak, Shogun could do well and probably get a title shot quicker than if he stayed at LHW IMO.

Anderson would get beaten in the LHW, makes WAY more sense to have Shogun vs Silva at MW.

his walking weight i read is around 225 lbs(it could be wrong though)' date=' but silvas is around 230, i guess its possible in that aspect, but shoguns cardio isn't the greatest so i wouldn't expect him to drain himself further to make MW, hopefully anderson goes up to 205, cuz imo Anderson vs any top LHW > Anderson vs GSP[/quote']

Really Anderson Silva and Jon Jones's walking around weights are the same?

Think about it' date=' he's not a big Light Heavyweight and he's not exactly ripped.

And also I think a fight between him and Anderson would be legendary!!

Discuss. Or not ;)[/quote']

He should make the drop in all fairness. He looked like a little boy in the Jones fight.

He drops to 205 and still has lot's of flab compared to most LHW. Plus he'd be a force at 185.

and the last and best reason............. he could fight Sexyama!!!! Now just imagine all that Sexy in one cage. Many heads would explode.

He should make the drop in all fairness. He looked like a little boy in the Jones fight.

He drops to 205 and still has lot's of flab compared to most LHW. Plus he'd be a force at 185.

and the last and best reason............. he could fight Sexyama!!!! Now just imagine all that Sexy in one cage. Many heads would explode.

Genius.gif

Even if he does' date=' Anderson would eat him alive... HOWEVER, Shogun might be number 2 in the division, because he would murder Belfort and Sonnen. Maia would (Stylistically) be the worst fight for him (other than Silva).[/quote']

I think Shogun vs. Belfort would be extremely competitive. They both have the same strengths and when they're at their best they're absolute beasts. At the same time, they both tend to have off-periods, as well.

As for Sonnen, he could give Shogun a lot of trouble. He's one of the best and most relentless wrestlers in MMA and I could easily see him wearing Shogun down on the ground. I love Mauricio, but the dude looks downright pathetic sometimes and has zero TDD. If he gasses on Chael like he did against Coleman and Griffin he would be outworked and smashed to a TKO or decision.

maybe what i read is false' date=' but if what i said is completely true, then yea lol :P

EDIT: once you said that i just realized that it does sound ridiculous[/quote']

From what I understand, Anderson tends to let himself go when he's not training. He could certainly baloon up to 230lbs, but he would never fight at 230. As soon as he starts working, he'll drop a ton of weight, then he'll cut a reasonable amount to make 185lbs. It's not like he'd finish up training camp and then cut 45lbs over the weekend or something, lol.

From what I understand' date=' Anderson tends to let himself go when he's not training. He could certainly baloon up to 230lbs, but he would never fight at 230. As soon as he starts working, he'll drop a ton of weight, then he'll cut a reasonable amount to make 185lbs. It's not like he'd finish up training camp and then cut 45lbs over the weekend or something, lol.[/quote']

Anderson has claimed many times that he walks around 190-200lbs throughout his career people are exaggerating his size quite a lot. I understand he's a bit aged at 37 and probably walks around 210 or so but still he's not a big 210 as it is.

I think Shogun vs. Belfort would be extremely competitive. They both have the same strengths and when they're at their best they're absolute beasts. At the same time' date=' they both tend to have off-periods, as well.

As for Sonnen, he could give Shogun a lot of trouble. He's one of the best and most relentless wrestlers in MMA and I could easily see him wearing Shogun down on the ground. I love Mauricio, but the dude looks downright pathetic sometimes and has zero TDD. If he gasses on Chael like he did against Coleman and Griffin he would be outworked and smashed to a TKO or decision.[/quote']

Nahh... I think Shogun would beat Belfort down... Sonnen would get submitted, I'll just be honest, that's what I think. Sonnen would not even try to stand, and he'd get submitted at some point.

Truth is' date=' there are so many dudes at LHW right now who can cut down to MW. Shogun, Evans, and Machida are all, frame-wise, smaller than Anderson.

On the other hand, you could make the case that dudes like [b']GSP,[/b] Anderson, Sonnen, Belfort, and Okami could all just as easily move up to LHW.

I added one name in there.

Even if he does' date=' Anderson would eat him alive... HOWEVER, Shogun might be number 2 in the division, because he would murder Belfort and Sonnen. Maia would (Stylistically) be the worst fight for him (other than Silva).[/quote']

I think Maia is gonna make another convincing case for the title soon. He's looking improved.

I think Maia is gonna make another convincing case for the title soon. He's looking improved.

Absolutely... Personally, I'd love it if he fought GSP... Big dude, BJJ master, sick hands, better than Shields and Diaz in my opinion.

I like Rua more at LHW. Some of the competitive advantages he has at LHW would be given up at MW namely speed and agility.

He lost to Jones because Bones has both and is naturally heavier. For Rua to sweat that weight (in muscle) would hurt him at this point in his career.

He may be war-battered after his career, but he hasn't cut weight that much in his career. He doesn't cut much weight now. And considering he's 29 years old, I think the cut won't be too hard for him.

No cartiledge in his knees. That's too much to ask.

Hmm I thought that was Bas Rutten's condition. The condition that made him retire.

I think Shogun just had alot of surgeries on his knees, it wasn't that he had no cartilage I think.

Although I've done no research on this because I cba.

This thread has lots of win.

Shogun would have a harder time making it to MW but he could do it. He has that BJ training personality and same kind of body type. I think he could do very well for himself in the MW division but Silva would be sort of the same type of fighting style as Jones, elusive striker coming from unexpected angles.

To be honest I have been screaming for an Anderson/Shogun fight for sometime. Would be epic!

Who has Silva and GSP not fought? Silva has 2 wins at LHW and has literally cleaned out his division.

You guys are blinded by hate. These guys have fought the best their company has to offer for over 4yrs. Don't hate because tey don't win the way you want them to.

Shogun would not have his advantages at 185 and while he is young in age, he has a lot of mileage on his body. That's why he looked like a 40yr old man fighting JJ.

Think about it' date=' he's not a big Light Heavyweight and he's not exactly ripped.

I have been saying this for a little while now. But, all the Shogun fanboys get mad at me when I say that he is obsolete at LHW anymore. If he loses to Forrest I feel there is no reason for him to not move to MW. Hopefully he would accumulate a better record at MW than his 3-3 record at LHW...

Shogun vs Belfort

Shogun vs Leben

Shogun vs Sonnen

Shogun vs A. Silva

I would like to see some fights like that.

As if his Cardio isn't bad enough already. Now you want him to cut 20 more pounds.and if that isn't enough, you wanna see a gassed Shogun fight Silva... what do you have against Rua? :confused :

Archived