Where did Lyoto get all of his hype?

RobertoSON

I haven't seen Lyoto do anything impressive at all. Take for instance, Lyoto's last four fights:

I watched Lyoto cheat Rua out of their first match, then get KO'd in the first round during their rematch.

I watched Lyoto run from Rampage Jackson for two and a half rounds, then try to make up for it in the last minute of the third round.

I watched Lyoto throw a flying kick to a 48 year old man who was set to retire that night.

Why does everyone act like Lyoto is so amazing?

The majority of his victories in the UFC are against:

A) People you've never heard of (Sam Hoger, David Heath, Vernon White etc.).

B) Decision.

It seems like all of Lyoto's highlight reels are from nearly a decade ago, and not even in UFC sanctioned fights. It blows my mind that at the time all of this hype started all Lyoto had done in 90% of his fights was backpedal away from aggressive opponents and win off of the point system by taking cheap shots at them. Lyoto got his first finish ever (a lucky KO) and suddenly people were describing him as an untouchable and highly offensive opponent when in reality he had never been capable of inflicting damage to the majority of his "nobody" opponents due to his inability to risk clashing with a real fighter.

I feel like this fraud has been exposed and never will be the champion again because quite frankly he never should have been in the first place.

I haven't seen Lyoto do anything impressive at all. Take for instance' date=' Lyoto's last four fights:

I watched Lyoto cheat Rua out of their first match, then get KO'd in the first round during their rematch.

I watched Lyoto run from Rampage Jackson for two and a half rounds, then try to make up for it in the last minute of the third round.

I watched Lyoto throw a flying kick to a 48 year old man who was set to retire that night.

B) Decision.

It seems like all of Lyoto's highlight reels are from nearly a decade ago, and not even in UFC sanctioned fights. It blows my mind that at the time all of this hype started all Lyoto had done in 90% of his fights was backpedal away from aggressive opponents and win off of the point system by taking cheap shots at them. Lyoto got his first finish ever (a lucky KO) and suddenly people were describing him as an untouchable and highly offensive opponent when in reality he had never been capable of inflicting damage to the majority of his "nobody" opponents due to his inability to risk clashing with a real fighter.

I feel like this fraud has been exposed and never will be the champion again because quite frankly he never should have been in the first place.[/quote']

:eek:

This will not go well for you......

I haven't seen Lyoto do anything impressive at all. Take for instance' date=' Lyoto's last four fights:

B) Decision.

I feel like this fraud has been exposed and never will be the champion again because quite frankly he never should have been in the first place.[/quote']

My response to this is talk to his victims Franklin, Tiago Silva, Rashad Evans, Remi and Couture. They will tell you how bad "The Dragon" is not to mention his style is so fun to watch, nobody moves better than Lyoto and is able to amount the offense he can.

I agree with you..He's dangerous and with his style can beat anyone on any given night but i feel he can also lose too anyone on any given night.....Im hoping he faces Rashad again...Rashad would whoop that ***

lmaOOO i respect opinions but this is just straight Silly, did u see the Rashad KO face hahahaha epic fail, he shouldnt even show up to fights anymore, MOFO should be a luche libre now. Lyoto would dissect Suga again dawg. Lyoto is not a pushover by any standard at all.

I agree with you..He's dangerous and with his style can beat anyone on any given night but i feel he can also lose too anyone on any given night.....Im hoping he faces Rashad again...Rashad would whoop that ***

That worked out well for him the first time. The only thing that Rashad might do is lay n pray him for 3-5 rounds and to me that is not considered whooping that ***.

lmaOOO i respect opinions but this is just straight Silly' date=' did u see the Rashad KO face hahahaha epic fail, he shouldnt even show up to fights anymore, MOFO should be a luche libre now. Lyoto would dissect Suga again dawg. Lyoto is not a pushover by any standard at all.[/quote']

That fight was 2 years ago..Rashads a better fighter now and would use his wrestling more.

What was that knock out on Rashad? Lyoto's first out of his last ten fights? Nothing more than luck, and he only scored it because while Lyoto was okay with the crowd booing the Main Event, Rashad wasn't and began to leave himself open for cheap shots as he was willing to assume the risk Lyoto has never been able to assume in any of his fights. Funny how that same tactic backfired on him in his Rampage fight, huh?

That worked out well for him the first time. The only thing that Rashad might do is lay n pray him for 3-5 rounds and to me that is not considered whooping that ***.

True i kind of took a bit too far with the *** whooping..I mean i think Rashad would win if they fought again.

What was that knock out on Rashad? Lyoto's first out of his last ten fights? Nothing more than luck' date=' and he only scored it because while Lyoto was okay with the crowd booing the Main Event, Rashad wasn't and began to leave himself open for cheap shots as he was willing to assume the risk Lyoto has never been able to assume in any of his fights. Funny how that same tactic backfired on him in his Rampage fight, huh?[/quote']

RAMPAGE is my fav fighter all time, he just did his gametape better than Suga then dawg. Rampage landed VICIOUS strikes in the clinch when he and lyoto locked up, he had a very well thought gameplan and fought well with it. Rashad had NOOOOO IDEA where and what The dragon was doing, and barely threw 3 strikes the entire fight (which mind you was 2 rounds) Rampage also has a FARRRR greater chin than suga

What was that knock out on Rashad? Lyoto's first out of his last ten fights? Nothing more than luck' date=' and he only scored it because while Lyoto was okay with the crowd booing the Main Event, Rashad wasn't and began to leave himself open for cheap shots as he was willing to assume the risk Lyoto has never been able to assume in any of his fights. Funny how that same tactic backfired on him in his Rampage fight, huh?[/quote']

Well that just didnt make any sense at all !

I've been a Lyoto fan for a while now and here are the reasons why I think there is "hype"...

1) I enjoy his technical, methodical, systematic approach to his fights. Some consider it "boring" at times, but he is truly a master at what he does and often represents (at least in my mind) how speed, skill and finesse can triumph over strength and power.

2) For a while, he was the only person to beat Rich Franklin, and when Franklin became a force, Lyoto's stock went up. Even when Anderson Silva made a fool of Franklin, he was still winning fights after that brutal beatdown.

3) Although many of Machida's fights have gone to decision, he has looked very impressive in all those fights, always finding a great balance of attack, defend, and counter. And in the fights Lyoto did win by crazy KO finish, two of those guys were undefeated fighters, and its not like they were lucky flash KO's either. Lyoto dominated both T Silva and Evans before he finished the job.

4) Randy Couture, given his age, was still winning fights at the time he lost to Lyoto. Many people were predicting Couture to grind out a decision win. Lyoto stuffed all his clinch and takedown attempts (something even Brock Lesnar, a 285 lbs behemoth at the time couldn't do) and was putting on a striking clinic against Couture before his stellar KO kick. If people are still using Couture's name to hype up Lesnar, Lyoto needs to get in on that, especially since they are closer to the same size.

5) If you felt Shogun won the first fight against Lyoto, you have to feel that Lyoto won against Rampage. Personally, I agreed with both decisions. People make it out like Lyoto got his *** kicked when, like the Rampage fight, the majority of damage was dealt in the final rounds. If these fights had been scored as a whole rather than by the 10 point must system, the outcomes would be different, but as far as I'm concerned, Lyoto beat Shogun the first time and Rampage beat Lyoto. Time to let it go.

So there's my $0.02...

Rashad has had only two fights since then

Yeah and in those two fights he looked like a different fighter...Maybe not a more exciting fighter but with the wrestling he has been recently showcasing he has a better chance of winning the rematch.

Lyoto has probably THE best takedown defense at LHW. Rashad would get knocked into next week the moment he got too close.

Again.

Rashad has probably the best wresting in the LHW division...Good offense beats good defense anyday.

Rashad has probably the best wresting in the LHW division...Good offense beats good defense anyday.

I think it's Machida's speed and sumo wrestling backgrounds that make it hard for him to be taken down... the key to getting the takedown against Machida isn't wrestling, but great boxing mixed with a bit of wrestling. Rampage was pretty much the only guy to really take Machida down and it wasn't wrestling that did it, it was Rampage's boxing and cutting Machida off and cornering him.

Rashad still wouldn't stand a chance against Lyoto... in fact, he would do worse since he would rely more on his wrestling rather than boxing to set up takedowns first.

I've been a Lyoto fan for a while now and here are the reasons why I think there is "hype"...

1) I enjoy his technical' date=' methodical, systematic approach to his fights. Some consider it "boring" at times, but he is truly a master at what he does and often represents (at least in my mind) how speed, skill and finesse can triumph over strength and power.

2) For a while, he was the only person to beat Rich Franklin, and when Franklin became a force, Lyoto's stock went up. Even when Anderson Silva made a fool of Franklin, he was still winning fights after that brutal beatdown.

3) Although many of Machida's fights have gone to decision, he has looked very impressive in all those fights, always finding a great balance of attack, defend, and counter. And in the fights Lyoto did win by crazy KO finish, two of those guys were undefeated fighters, and its not like they were lucky flash KO's either. Lyoto dominated both T Silva and Evans before he finished the job.

4) Randy Couture, given his age, was still winning fights at the time he lost to Lyoto. Many people were predicting Couture to grind out a decision win. Lyoto stuffed all his clinch and takedown attempts (something even Brock Lesnar, a 285 lbs behemoth at the time couldn't do) and was putting on a striking clinic against Couture before his stellar KO kick. If people are still using Couture's name to hype up Lesnar, Lyoto needs to get in on that, especially since they are closer to the same size.

5) If you felt Shogun won the first fight against Lyoto, you have to feel that Lyoto won against Rampage. Personally, I agreed with both decisions. People make it out like Lyoto got his *** kicked when, like the Rampage fight, the majority of damage was dealt in the final rounds. If these fights had been scored as a whole rather than by the 10 point must system, the outcomes would be different, but as far as I'm concerned, Lyoto beat Shogun the first time and Rampage beat Lyoto. Time to let it go.

So there's my $0.02...[/quote']

My man you have earned yourself the title *THIS GUY*

We are forgetting his performances against guys like Penn, Tito, Remi. Remi was suppose to explode all over Lyotos face but because of Lyoto, Remi just looked like a mad black guy in the cage and lyoto kept himself collected and countered with perfection. Honestly ive never seen the man lose his cool, he made a mistake in his 2nd fight with Shogun, but Shogun is a bad dude too. Lyoto was able to masterfully keep Coutures hands off him, HELL Couture couldnt even touch him. Yet like he said Couture took it took guys like Nog and Lesnar, who are much bigger than Lyoto. Dude your thread is fail sorry but even haters of Lyoto will defend him here.

Everyone he's fought minus Shogun he has thoroughly outclassed and outmaneuvered... He's practically untouchable, the best wrestlers can't get him down let alone keep him down, and he has extreme skill on the feet. He's the only guy to ever knock out Thiago Silva, beat BJ Penn and Rich Franklin when he was just a noob, and probably beat Couture with more ease than anyone in UFC history.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, nooby OP.

Everyone he's fought minus Shogun he has thoroughly outclassed and outmaneuvered... He's practically untouchable' date=' the best wrestlers can't get him down let alone keep him down, and he has extreme skill on the feet. He's the only guy to ever knock out Thiago Silva, beat BJ Penn and Rich Franklin when he was just a noob, and probably beat Couture with more ease than anyone in UFC history.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, nooby OP.[/quote']

this = win

Lyoto we got yo back dawg!!!

:D

im a shogun fan' date=' but dude lyoto is bad as$....he ****ED UP thiago, rashad and KOd randy...hes a beast dude, hes a great fighter...he has the skills to beat anyone, i think he has the counter punchin style to **** up jones...[/quote']

Yeah, same here. People forgot I'm a Shogun fan, he's over Lyoto in my book, but that does not stop me from knowing Lyoto's a beast.

Yeah and in those two fights he looked like a different fighter...Maybe not a more exciting fighter but with the wrestling he has been recently showcasing he has a better chance of winning the rematch.

Rashad thought that his stand up game was way better than it was after beating Liddell and Forrest. Machida showed him that he was wrong so Rashad went back to the basics of mixing up his wrestling and striking which is a good idea. I'm still not sure if Rashad could keep Lyoto down or take him down consistently.

Rashad has probably the best wresting in the LHW division...

I do agree with this though

I watched Lyoto cheat Rua out of their first match, then get KO'd in the first round during their rematch. [b']in a fight that was an epic war[/b]

I watched Lyoto run from Rampage Jackson for two and a half rounds, then try to make up for it in the last minute of the third round. lol very biased here lyoto showed who the better fighter was in that last round

I watched Lyoto throw a flying kick to a 48 year old man who was set to retire that night. crane kicking a legend of the sport who is always dangerous

A) People you've never heard of (Sam Hoger, David Heath, Vernon White lol you havent heard of vernon white etc.).

B) Decision. ktfo rich franklin hasha evans and thiago silva

It seems like all of Lyoto's highlight reels are from nearly a decade ago, and not even in UFC sanctioned fights. It blows my mind that at the time all of this hype started all Lyoto had done in 90% of his fights was backpedal away from aggressive opponents and win off of the point system by taking cheap shots at them. Lyoto got his first finish ever (a lucky KOl ol a lucky ko cmon son) and suddenly people were describing him as an untouchable and highly offensive opponent when in reality he had never been capable of inflicting damage to the majority of his "nobody" opponents due to his inability to risk clashing with a real fighter.

I feel like this fraud has been exposed and never will be the champion again because quite frankly he never should have been in the first place.

you fail son

B) Decision.

dumbazz

/thread

What was that knock out on Rashad? Lyoto's first out of his last ten fights? Nothing more than luck' date=' [b']and he only scored it because while Lyoto was okay with the crowd booing the Main Event[/b], Rashad wasn't and began to leave himself open for cheap shots as he was willing to assume the risk Lyoto has never been able to assume in any of his fights. Funny how that same tactic backfired on him in his Rampage fight, huh?

Are you serious? Haven't seen such a retarded excuse in a while.

in fact' date=' he would do worse since he would rely more on his wrestling rather than boxing to set up takedowns first.[/quote']

Just because he wouldn't stand and bang with him doesn't mean he will dive in for a takedown every 2 seconds.

When Rashad is wrestling, he's always setting up takedowns with boxing or faking.

He has beaten:

Randy Couture

Rashad Evans

Thiago Silva

Tito Ortiz

Rameau Sokoudjou

Kazuhiro Nakamura

BJ Penn

Rich Franklin

Stephan Bonnar

He has decisively finished:

Randy Couture

Rashad Evans

Thiago Silva

Rameau Sokoudju

Rich Franklin

Stephan Bonnar

Former UFC Champ. Last 4 wins had 3 Knockout of the Nights (Against the best at LHW)

In closing:

2j2et87.jpg

1) I enjoy his technical' date=' methodical, systematic approach to his fights. Some consider it "boring" at times, but he is truly a master at what he does and often represents (at least in my mind) how speed, skill and finesse can triumph over strength and power.

So there's my $0.02...[/quote']

Well said. Of course Machida built up some hype. He went undefeated to win the LHW title in the UFC and did it while being the least hit fighter to do so. He has great takedown defense and some of the best counter striking that we have ever seen. Even now he has only been solidly defeated once in his UFC career by Shogun via KO. He lost to Rampage fair and square but he did do more damage overall in the fight. Only Shogun has really been able to match up with him stylistically. In my opinion the hype is certainly justified. He wasn't able to defend his title for long but neither has anyone else in the LHW division.

Hmm Can't tell if OP is trollin or being serious

If trollin-gj

If serious-Well OP has clearly NEVER done martial arts himself, everyone may not like his fights or style but to not appreciate or respect him is just being stupid and hateful. His footwork, counterpunching, momvement, accuracy, percision, tdd, takedowns, timing, technique are wonderful to watch and prob some of the best in the UFC. Has fought great competition and pretty much always came out on top, OP acts as if every single fight should be a top contender or something. When was the last time lyoto looked in trouble or even uncomfortable in all of his 18ish fights(except for shogun, who when he is on is a BAD mofo). Reached the lhw (a STACKED division) title using traditional martial arts(karate). Has unique style and always forces oppoenets to adjust, chess match has begun w/out either fighter stepping in an octogon. One of the most interstin and imo enjoyable fighters to watch. OP=FAIL

My response to this is talk to his victims Franklin' date=' Tiago Silva, Rashad Evans, Remi and Couture. They will tell you how bad "The Dragon" is not to mention his style is so fun to watch, nobody moves better than Lyoto and is able to amount the offense he can.[/quote']

also beat bj and he was undefeated until shogun. dumb thread go watch machidas fights before he was world famous

Loyoto is very good. I think a lot of dudes find it easy to run there mouth about a guy who they hardly understand. He comes from a different style that may not be view as attractive. A lot of guys he has fought say they can't understand how he moves so quickly and illusively.

Its easy for anybody to say he hasn't fought anyone and leave out guys he's destroyed. Lol and if rashad and him meet again I predict a second ko or submission with in the 1st 2 rounds.

Rashads lucky he's in the position he has, cuz after loyoto put him out.....he has not been the same fight. Barely made it oout of his last 3.

Archived