GSP and the double standard

dfwGSP

There has been a lot of hate on GSP, as all successful athletes will expirience. Many are saying however, that he is boring, despite how active he is, and I believe that not only is he not boring, but none of you believe so either.

The fact that all of you continously watch him is proof enough, but let's go a little further.

There was a comment on another thread about Diaz Daley being great and Shields-GSP being boring. Why is that?

Despite only going 1 round, they spent more time on the ground then GSP-Shields. It also wasn't a spectacular TKO as many claim. Daley gassed, pushed Diaz away, spun in a circle, and fell down. The fight was stopped after Diaz went to hit him. Diaz was given so much credit for being a warrior, when a guy like Brock wins in similiar fashion it's because "Shane beat himself".

GSP-Shields, two guys that are wrongfully labeled "LnP' fighters, actually stood and went punch for punch. The only way to call it boring is to exaggerate what actually happened. The only reason you call it boring is because of their names. Was Carwin-Dos Santos that much better? But no one complains about that fight.

Another example is GSP-Kos. GSP was criticized for not finishing Kos, and put on a jab clinic. He mixed in some hooks, but to no avail. This fight was called boring, but when Aldo did practically the same thing against Faber, he was called vicous, a true warrior, despite no attempt to finish. Both fights were similiar, the only difference is that GSP is hated and Aldo is not.

My last example, is BJ Penn. People consider him a great finisher, and call him exciting, but he's failed to finish in 3 of his last 4 fights, his only finish being a guy GSP has finished twice. Yet he is hailed as a warrior.

So cry all you want, you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make a lot of good points. The problem is you are asking people to be logical and that's a challenge for most people at the best of times. Then ask your average MMA **** fan to make sense and you really have an uphill battle.

Pretty good post though.

At least for me, it's the complete lack of even attempting to fulfill his potential. You bring up good points, but BJ for instance is considered a warrior cuz he'll fight anyone at any weight class, GSP won't. GSP vs. Shields standing is comparable to a BJJ black belt vs. a two stripe white belt. The black belt should be able to finish.

At least for me' date=' it's the complete lack of even attempting to fulfill his potential. You bring up good points, but BJ for instance is considered a warrior cuz he'll fight anyone at any weight class, GSP won't. GSP vs. Shields standing is comparable to a BJJ black belt vs. a two stripe white belt. The black belt [b']should[/b] be able to finish.

Yes, BJ is willing to move up in weight. But if he struggles to finish, doesn't he deserve the same criticism? It's only fair. And yes, maybe GSP should have finished Shields, but if Hendo's H-bomb couldn't what the hell in the WW division can?

Yes' date=' BJ is willing to move up in weight. But if he struggles to finish, doesn't he deserve the same criticism? It's only fair. And yes, maybe GSP should have finished Shields, but if Hendo's H-bomb couldn't what the hell in the WW division can?[/quote']

well apparently according to sports science GSP can punch with 2900 Ibs of force

There has been a lot of hate on GSP' date=' as all successful athletes will expirience. Many are saying however, that he is boring, despite how active he is, and I believe that not only is he not boring, but none of you believe so either.

The fact that all of you continously watch him is proof enough, but let's go a little further.

There was a comment on another thread about Diaz Daley being great and Shields-GSP being boring. Why is that?

Despite only going 1 round, they spent more time on the ground then GSP-Shields. It also wasn't a spectacular TKO as many claim. Daley gassed, pushed Diaz away, spun in a circle, and fell down. The fight was stopped after Diaz went to hit him. Diaz was given so much credit for being a warrior, when a guy like Brock wins in similiar fashion it's because "Shane beat himself".

GSP-Shields, two guys that are wrongfully labeled "LnP' fighters, actually stood and went punch for punch. The only way to call it boring is to exaggerate what actually happened. The only reason you call it boring is because of their names. Was Carwin-Dos Santos that much better? But no one complains about that fight.

Another example is GSP-Kos. GSP was criticized for not finishing Kos, and put on a jab clinic. He mixed in some hooks, but to no avail. This fight was called boring, but when Aldo did practically the same thing against Faber, he was called vicous, a true warrior, despite no attempt to finish. Both fights were similiar, the only difference is that GSP is hated and Aldo is not.

My last example, is BJ Penn. People consider him a great finisher, and call him exciting, but he's failed to finish in 3 of his last 4 fights, his only finish being a guy GSP has finished twice. Yet he is hailed as a warrior.

So cry all you want, you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.[/quote']

I agree. His haters still call him a lay and pray fighter even though he's spent a grand total of 1 of his last 50 minutes in the octagon on the ground. BJ's only won one of his last 4 fights, yet hes the warrior. You can't say hes a warrior for fighting at ww when he's only 3-4-1 at that weight. GSP even has as many finishes as Penn in 1 less fight (not to mention 6 more wins and 5 less losses).

While I agree with most of your post I do think some of the fallout GSP gets is because he USED to win all the time in spectacular format.

Flying armbars, crazy superman punches and such. He got his huge fanbase by trying crazy stuff and usually landing them. Now he doesn't try that stuff, he plays it safe. Should he be hated on? Of course not, it mainly comes from the fans of fighters he's destroyed.

To be fair I used to be a big Carwin fan until after that JDS fight when he looked like he didn't wanna be there throwing half hearted punches. So those fights do effect people to, they are just the silent majority.

There has been a lot of hate on GSP' date=' as all successful athletes will expirience. Many are saying however, that he is boring, despite how active he is, and I believe that not only is he not boring, but none of you believe so either.

So cry all you want, you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.[/quote']

As usuall you have manipulated information to mislead people. Here are some corrections.

1. People by cards not a single fight. GSP cards are usually packed with other great fights, Like Aldo vs. Homminick.

2. BJ Penn has finished his last 6 fights. Of course he didn't finish the fights he lost. He hasn't won by decision since 2005.

3. People did complain about the Dos Santos vs. Carwin fight. You must have skipped visiting the forum during that time.

4. The reason people complain about GSP is because he has significant issues, not because of some unfair standard. When Anderson didn't finish either Leites of Maia, everybody was complaining. Why should GSP not be held to account by fans for not finishing his last 5 out of six fights?

People will look for anything to discredit a fighter they don't like and when the fighter is as successful as GSP they will start making stuff up and begin to believe their own lies. I would respect people a lot more if they just simply said, "Yeah I'm a hater and I hate GSP I hope he gets owned by Nick Diaz" instead of talking trash and bashing him. Let's not be objective and look at his true attributes so we can have an adult conversation, no instead let's make stuff up and when someone else makes a good point that totally discredits what we're saying we'll just pile it on even thicker and hate even more and eventually they'll go away. Isn't that usually how it goes?

While I agree with most of your post I do think some of the fallout GSP gets is because he USED to win all the time in spectacular format.

Flying armbars' date=' crazy superman punches and such. He got his huge fanbase by trying crazy stuff and usually landing them. Now he doesn't try that stuff, he plays it safe. Should he be hated on? Of course not, it mainly comes from the fans of fighters he's destroyed.

To be fair I used to be a big Carwin fan until after that JDS fight when he looked like he didn't wanna be there throwing half hearted punches. So those fights do effect people to, they are just the silent majority.[/quote']

You're right, he does deserve some criticism, an mate I'm not harsh enough about it. But I think his criticism has become ridiculous.

As usuall you have manipulated information to mislead people. Here are some corrections.

1. People by cards not a single fight. GSP cards are usually packed with other great fights' date=' Like Aldo vs. Homminick.

2. BJ Penn has finished his last 6 fights. Of course he didn't finish the fights he lost. He hasn't won by decision since 2005.

3. People did complain about the Dos Santos vs. Carwin fight. You must have skipped visiting the forum during that time.

4. The reason people complain about GSP is because he has significant issues, not because of some unfair standard. When Anderson didn't finish either Leites of Maia, everybody was complaining. Why should GSP not be held to account by fans for not finishing his last 5 out of six fights?[/quote']

Okay, fair enough:

1) Totally agree, but the Main event fighters get paid more for a reason. It's not a coincidence that cards with GSP on it sell a lot.

2) If he's bot winning, that's on him. 3 of his last 4 fights have gone to a decision.

3) I was wron to generalize, you are correct. But if you want to compare the criticism for JDS compared to GSP, I'll take that argument

4) I've already showed that other fighters have had similar fights, but were praised, unlike GSP. That is a double standard, like it or not.

Thats because nobody can say anything negative about GSP without you disagreeing.

Well, if I don't have the same opinion, why should I agree? I'm not here to indulge everybody. I'm also very peaceful about it. I take criticism all the time simply because I'm a GSP fan. I usually disagree because the things I see people post are just absurd, which is why I made this thread.

Okay' date=' fair enough:

1) Totally agree, but the Main event fighters get paid more for a reason. It's not a coincidence that cards with GSP on it sell a lot.

2) If he's bot winning, that's on him. 3 of his last 4 fights have gone to a decision.

3) I was wron to generalize, you are correct. But if you want to compare the criticism for JDS compared to GSP, I'll take that argument

4) I've already showed that other fighters have had similar fights, but were praised, unlike GSP. That is a double standard, like it or not.[/quote']

You have yet to mention a boring fight where they didn't get hassled like GSP. Dos Santos got a lot of crap for tht Carwin fight, so your argument fails to impress. BJ Penn finishes fights. Obviously when he loses, he didn't finish. A similar argument can only be made if he was winning by decision like GSP because that is a similar situation.

lol, il be the first hater i guess....

1.GSP is an AMAZING athlete and a warrior, he fights in a cage(i dnt got the cojones for that shiz)...he is a threat to anyone and hes a great MMA fighter, he can do it all...the issue is the fact that he is now too timid, he lost his fire, his edge, that ferocity...hes scared of taking risks to mess up anything...so he is satisfied with being able to use the system to his advantage when he LnP...he safely jabs his way to a victory(when he could have easily finished)....and shows bad standup agains SHIELDS, who should have gotten ****ED UP!!!!

Its not that i hate GSP or have no respect its the fact that he has sooo much potential to do so much, becouse he can, like silva...A. Silva sometimes ****s around but he knows he can do it and he does it, he wrecks ppl becouse he can...soo much potential being wasted to just breeze by...its sad really...

2.BJ penn is a legend of the sport...PERIOD. he has had ups and downs and has had his motivation questioned more than once...he is ever evolving and a great talent...no denial, LOOK at ALL of his fights, he has only lost to UFC CHAMPIONS(Past and Present)...he has fought top competition in 4 different weightclasses and is IMO one of the best P4P becouse he has the change of weight to back it up...his record doesnt give him enough credit...bj has never said no to a fight and has taken on the best....yes gsp beat him 2 times both controversial...bj is a beast and no matter what has a shot against anyone...

(ps: about him going to decision, they were against freakin pointfighter man/ LnP king so yea...)

People will look for anything to discredit a fighter they don't like and when the fighter is as successful as GSP they will start making stuff up and begin to believe their own lies. I would respect people a lot more if they just simply said' date=' "Yeah I'm a hater and I hate GSP I hope he gets owned by Nick Diaz" instead of talking trash and bashing him. Let's not be objective and look at his true attributes so we can have an adult conversation, no instead let's make stuff up and when someone else makes a good point that totally discredits what we're saying we'll just pile it on even thicker and hate even more and eventually they'll go away. Isn't that usually how it goes?[/quote']

Well said. People get a bit childish if you say something negative about their favorite fighter. Grow up people. I don't get angry when people hate on Anderson. He's made me mad a few times too. I'm also a GSP fan, only he's made me mad a lot more. Can you guys honestly tell me you like GSP as much as you did pre-Serra? If you can, you're a better fan than me. But I'll keep watching, just in case he ever decides to showcase all the talent that seems to be going to waste.

Well said. People get a bit childish if you say something negative about their favorite fighter. Grow up people. I don't get angry when people hate on Anderson. He's made me mad a few times too. I'm also a GSP fan' date=' only he's made me mad a lot more. Can you guys honestly tell me you like GSP as much as you did pre-Serra? If you can, you're a better fan than me. But I'll keep watching, just in case he ever decides to showcase all the talent that seems to be going to waste.[/quote']

+1 I was a fan until GSP broke that contract by putting up subpar performances.

Well' date=' if I don't have the same opinion, why should I agree? I'm not here to indulge everybody. I'm also very peaceful about it. I take criticism all the time simply because I'm a GSP fan. I usually disagree because the things I see people post are just absurd, which is why I made this thread.[/quote']

I understand, but the people on this forum are going to say things insulting about him. They also have said things that are unfair to hall of famers as well. People can be unreasonable when talking about GSP, but they do have points. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them. I only address performances. If GSP returned as the fighter of old, I would have nothing bad to say.

Wow. I have never seen such a good post in my life. I am a GSP fan but i am also very fair. Credit to you, this is a 10/10 thread and i will bump whenever people continue to talk smack about GSP.

Lol, No I really believe he can be pretty boring. From his second fight with Penn up until he fought Koscheck I have been bored stiff watching him fight. At least with Koscheck and Shields he kept the fight on the feet. I watch him fight because I buy every single PPV, no matter who is head lining it.

It's not like GSP fans are exempt from the double standards either...

+1 I also think its interresting how they change their standards to suit the current situation. Like GSP fans making the assertion that finishes aren't important.Why? Because GSP doesn't do it anymore. GSP is the most dominat fighter ever. What about the Shields fight? Oh, his eye was hurt.

lol' date=' il be the first hater i guess....

1.GSP is an AMAZING athlete and a warrior, he fights in a cage(i dnt got the cojones for that shiz)...he is a threat to anyone and hes a great MMA fighter, he can do it all...the issue is the fact that he is now too timid, he lost his fire, his edge, that ferocity...hes scared of taking risks to mess up anything...so he is satisfied with being able to use the system to his advantage when he LnP...he safely jabs his way to a victory(when he could have easily finished)....and shows bad standup agains SHIELDS, who should have gotten ****ED UP!!!!

Its not that i hate GSP or have no respect its the fact that he has sooo much potential to do so much, becouse he can, like silva...A. Silva sometimes ****s around but he knows he can do it and he does it, he wrecks ppl becouse he can...soo much potential being wasted to just breeze by...its sad really...

2.BJ penn is a legend of the sport...PERIOD. he has had ups and downs and has had his motivation questioned more than once...he is ever evolving and a great talent...no denial, LOOK at ALL of his fights, he has only lost to UFC CHAMPIONS(Past and Present)...he has fought top competition in 4 different weightclasses and is IMO one of the best P4P becouse he has the change of weight to back it up...his record doesnt give him enough credit...bj has never said no to a fight and has taken on the best....yes gsp beat him 2 times both controversial...bj is a beast and no matter what has a shot against anyone...

(ps: about him going to decision, they were against freakin pointfighter man/ LnP king so yea...)[/quote']

That's cool, and I understand. First let me say this: though I dislike Penn a lot, he is a legend and, imo, the greatest LW ever. But people act like he's this badass fighter and GSP has nothing on him. Maybe Penn is a badass, but GSP isn't nearly as scared as people think he is.

I respect your opinion, the only disagreement I have is that GSP does not LnP. He is very active on the ground and is one of the best at passing guard.

I couldn't take this thread seriously the exact line it tried to claim GSP/Shields was just as exciting as Diaz/Daley.

I don't see how anyone could be so deluded as to believe that.

Well. Forget about that line then. you CANT say anymore than 5% of that post is wrong. YOU CANT. I agree about Daley/Diaz being more exciting. Obviously. But the rest of his post is 100% ON POINT. and he just put all the flamers of GSP in the dirt!

[b']Despite only going 1 round, they spent more time on the ground then GSP-Shields. It also wasn't a spectacular TKO as many claim. Daley gassed, pushed Diaz away, spun in a circle, and fell down. The fight was stopped after Diaz went to hit him. Diaz was given so much credit for being a warrior, when a guy like Brock wins in similiar fashion it's because "Shane beat himself".

What's the problem with going to the ground lol? Fighting on the ground isn't boring. Diaz vs Daley was a war. There was constant action with both trying to finish the other figher and the fact that Diaz finished Daley, an extremely good striker for the first time with strikes is a big deal. Diaz fought Daley where he is at his best and beat him there. It was an extremely exciting, back and forth fight.

The GSP/Sheilds fight was a rinse and repeat, jab overhand right combination with some added kicks. GSP stuck to a gameplan and carried it through well. Sheilds is a very poor striker and still had success striking, outlanding GSP due to GSP being wary of the takedown. Even after GSP knocks Sheilds down, he didn't jump on to finish, he let Sheilds back up without attacking. It wasn't as bad as people make out, but it wasn't a very exciting fight.

Koscheck and Faber were both injured in their fights, Josh's eye and Faber's leg. GSP just caried on the same gameplan of jabbing, jabs do not finish fights on their own, but GSP didn't take a risk to throw many other strikes. Aldo did try to finish their fight, when he had Faber in the crucifix, he landed a hell of a lot of unanswered punches, about the same as how Hughes finished Penn, but the fight was allowed to continue. Also also threw a lot of combinations, when Faber covered up, Aldo threw 4 or 5 hard hooks to try and hurt him, not just jabs.

So cry all you want, you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.

It isn't finishing which is the problem, it is that it doesn't look or feel like he is trying to. Aldo vs Hominick went to a decision on the same card as GSP vs Sheilds, but that won fight of the night due to the fact that they both went in to win. Aldo was gassed, then he drops Hominick and pounces, throwing a lot of punches trying to finish, GSP drops Sheilds, but is too cautious to try and capitalise.

Decisions do not bother me in the least, quite a lot of my favourate fights have went to a decision, it is that GSP rarely takes risks and relies on his gameplan too much, he doesn't seem to try anything different, so whe you have saw one round of his fight, you basically know what is going to happen in the other 4.

Well. Forget about that line then. you CANT say anymore than 5% of that post is wrong. YOU CANT. I agree about Daley/Diaz being more exciting. Obviously. But the rest of his post is 100% ON POINT. and he just put all the flamers of GSP in the dirt!

You want a dissection of that ********? Fine.

+1 I also think its interresting how they change their standards to suit the current situation. Like GSP fans making the assertion that finishes aren't important.Why? Because GSP doesn't do it anymore. GSP is the most dominat fighter ever. What about the Shields fight? Oh' date=' his eye was hurt.[/quote']

Finishing isn't important. It may be fun to watch, but that's about it. Here what's important: as long as you are complaining about HOW he wins, he's doing something right.

Wow. I have never seen such a good post in my life. I am a GSP fan but i am also very fair. Credit to you' date=' this is a 10/10 thread and i will bump whenever people continue to talk smack about GSP.[/quote']

Yeah. I guess the standard in a thread is someone that shares the same glorious vision of GSP. He was incorrect in his assertion that Junior did not get crap for his fight. He misled people with the Penn comment. Penn hasn't won by decision since 2005. The Koscheck fight was him jabbing Koscheck for five rounds. Tim Sylvia had the fans turn against him for the same thing. Yeah, this thread is full of incitefull information. Keep your standards low.

That's cool' date=' and I understand. First let me say this: though I dislike Penn a lot, he is a legend and, imo, the greatest LW ever. But people act like he's this badass fighter and GSP has nothing on him. Maybe Penn is a badass, but GSP isn't nearly as scared as people think he is.

I respect your opinion, the only disagreement I have is that GSP does not LnP. He is very active on the ground and is one of the best at passing guard.[/quote']

1. Penn is a beast in most peoples eyes becouse he fights and always looks for the finish, he cares more about finishing than winning, and i guess that could be a downfall...

2.i guess...but u have to agree that fitch is bad! i even saw a pic where he looked like he was sleeping on paulo thiago...

Finishing isn't important. It may be fun to watch' date=' but that's about it. Here what's important: as long as you are complaining about HOW he wins, he's doing something right.[/quote']

Finishing IS important. The fans are all about the sport/any sport. And if they don't buy for GSP because hes not finishing, than it will ruin the sport.

So it does matter. But i 100% agree with this thread about GSP haters and that they expect so much from him when really, they are making themselves look like fools saying things like BJ PENN a warrior ect ect...

Im just saying, you cant say finishing isn't important. It is.

Just FOR EXAMPLE: reason why Fitch sin't getting Penn = boring

Reason Fitch sin't getting his DESERVED title shot = fans don't like him = Dana and Joe Silva aint gonna make it happen.

Its because he doenst try to finish. Your missing that. He makes no attempts to truly finish fighters. In Dos Santos Vs Carwin, Dos Santos tried to finish him. Aldo usually KOs people. What has GSP done since getting the title back from Serra? I believe GSP plays the jab game because he doesnt want to commit. Why? Because his chin is weak sauce. He knows his game plan is to dance around and be elusive and control all aspects of the game. He is a master of implementing that game plan. He doesn't go into fights to try and finish, just outlast his opponents. Which is why he has many haters. A la Fitch

Finishing IS important. The fans are all about the sport/any sport. And if they don't buy for GSP because hes not finishing' date=' than it will ruin the sport.

So it does matter. But i 100% agree with this thread about GSP haters and that they expect so much from him when really, they are making themselves look like fools saying things like BJ PENN a warrior ect ect...

Reason Fitch sin't getting his DESERVED title shot = fans don't like him = Dana and Joe Silva aint gonna make it happen.[/quote']

I don't believe finishing is important. I'll use BJ Penn as an example. He's had 5 fights against proclaimed "point fighters", or guys that can't finish. He's 0-4-1. The most efficient fighting style should be used, regardless of the fans.

I don't believe finishing is important. I'll use BJ Penn as an example. He's had 5 fights against proclaimed "point fighters"' date=' or guys that can't finish. He's 0-4-1. The most efficient fighting style should be used, regardless of the fans.[/quote']

Then how do you explain Fitch not getting a title shot?

I don't believe finishing is important. I'll use BJ Penn as an example. He's had 5 fights against proclaimed "point fighters"' date=' or guys that can't finish. He's 0-4-1. The most efficient fighting style should be used, regardless of the fans.[/quote']

ok. i see now. But both our points are good.

So all in all. Its really personal opinion. I dont care if a fight is finished. I just want to see the talent of the fighter and see how much he has improved/what hes working on and how everything unfolds.

But yea. I agree with you.

Finishing IS important. The fans are all about the sport/any sport. And if they don't buy for GSP because hes not finishing' date=' than it will ruin the sport.

So it does matter. But i 100% agree with this thread about GSP haters and that [b']they expect so much from him when really, they are making themselves look like fools saying things like BJ PENN a warrior ect ect...[/b]

Reason Fitch sin't getting his DESERVED title shot = fans don't like him = Dana and Joe Silva aint gonna make it happen.

Why do people expect so much from him though?

He's a world champion, who in the past, showed tremendous talent. That, and he has a lot lot lot of ****s touting him as the best. So yeah, you guys overhype him at times.

And people make themselves look like fools for calling BJ a warrior? :rolleyes: Oh the irony.

Archived