Sign in to follow this  
dfwGSP

GSP and the double standard

There has been a lot of hate on GSP' date=' as all successful athletes will expirience. Many are saying however, that he is boring, despite how active he is, and I believe that not only is he not boring, but none of you believe so either.

The fact that all of you continously watch him is proof enough, but let's go a little further.

There was a comment on another thread about Diaz Daley being great and Shields-GSP being boring. Why is that?

Despite only going 1 round, they spent more time on the ground then GSP-Shields. It also wasn't a spectacular TKO as many claim. Daley gassed, pushed Diaz away, spun in a circle, and fell down. The fight was stopped after Diaz went to hit him. Diaz was given so much credit for being a warrior, when a guy like Brock wins in similiar fashion it's because "Shane beat himself".

GSP-Shields, two guys that are wrongfully labeled "LnP' fighters, actually stood and went punch for punch. The only way to call it boring is to exaggerate what actually happened. The only reason you call it boring is because of their names. Was Carwin-Dos Santos that much better? But no one complains about that fight.

Another example is GSP-Kos. GSP was criticized for not finishing Kos, and put on a jab clinic. He mixed in some hooks, but to no avail. This fight was called boring, but when Aldo did practically the same thing against Faber, he was called vicous, a true warrior, despite no attempt to finish. Both fights were similiar, the only difference is that GSP is hated and Aldo is not.

My last example, is BJ Penn. People consider him a great finisher, and call him exciting, but he's failed to finish in 3 of his last 4 fights, his only finish being a guy GSP has finished twice. Yet he is hailed as a warrior.

So cry all you want, you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.[/quote']

You gotta realize its not a double standard...

The reason why GSP is under the most scrutiny is because he is considered the best fighter in the world by a lot people and he has a lot to live up to that. It happens with all superstar sports players like that.

Now when you talk about him to Aldo... Aldo has 2 fights where there was a hard fought decision ...Gsp has been on a 4 fight decision spree where he fought conservatively and defensively (can't knock him for that, its what makes him so good)

In boxing there's people who don't like watching Mayweather because of how good his defense is and he picks his shots very carefully...The same goes for Gsp its just the style and where these people are ranked is why they get so much heat.

For me i enjoy watching Gsp fights but they're just not as memorable or exciting imo. I remember specifics when Diaz beat Daley but when GSP beat kosh all i remember is a blur of jabs.

i think diaz is going to be his biggest challenge to date, and for the first time since the penn fight, gsp will have his hands full. no doubt diaz has knockout power, wicked jiujitsu, and can pose a threat to any fighter. i wouldnt be surprised at all if this fight goes the distance but it will be interesting to see where this fight ends up

i know he's desperate for a finish as if he has something more to prove, but this won't be a walk in the park like some of his past opponents. im sure gsp oughtta try to control him on the ground and whatnot but he's going to have to be wary about trying to rush in for the kill because diaz has the ability to catch him anywhere in the fight.

its not like going up against dan hardy and having to worry about being submitted if he decides to take it to the ground, or having to worry about getting knocked out by jon fitch or jake shields if he decides to just stand up and trade, because diaz is dangerous anywhere in a fight and gsp is definately aware of this

i dont think he will stand and trade with diaz. thats not the smart way to go. he's going to have to train hard on his grappling and be wary of submission counters, the same way diaz is going to have to train extensively on his takedown defense.

i think at this point the most successful chance diaz has is if he can somehow find a way to take gsp down and keep him there. this would be a tough challenge, but otherwise its just going to end up wherever gsp feels comfortable. It wouldnt surprise me at all if this is another 5 round decision. it would surprise me if gsp decides to stand and exchange with diaz, or if nick can control the pace of the fight and dictate where it goes. that would speak volumes.

either way, leading up to the fight, and probably after im sure ill be hearing the same old same old. its just a shame some people cant respect the guy for the dominant fighter that he is, and would prefer to nitpick all the holes or imperfections in his game just to consider him a boring, unsafe cheater.

yeah may not be the most exciting fighter to watch, i can understand why, but he's still the champ and everybody has their hands full just trying to win a round against him, let alone take his title. he's not giving up the same opportunities to be defeated that other fighters do when they make mistakes, and the majority of a successful fight often results from fighting smart and defensively and picking your opportunities. The term 'the best offense is a good defense' speaks loudly. GSP doesnt always charge in and go for openings if they arent there to begin with. And anybody fighting this guy has to be on their guard at all times. Especially when they are fighting for a title. Maybe they dont give up the easy openings which can relate to why gsp can't always finish his fights?

sure the way he fights is not going to please some people, but at least when you look at the guy for his abilities and accomplishments, the least you could do is respect him.

But if he is so good and they're all so 1 dimensional why can't he finish a fight.

well technically, 13 of his 22 wins have resulted from finishing the fight. So technically that's 59%

since his days of ufc relevance fighting mayhem miller, he has 7 decisions and 7 finishes.

not too bad, not too good. i would say that is beyond what alot of fighters accomplish unless they are powerhouse punchers that swing for the fences, or hardcore jiujitsu technicians who spend all fight trying to work for submissions

but yeah, he hasnt finished anybody in a while, though has came close on several instances, which is why i can understand the flak he gets over it. i don't think its because he's not trying to go for the kill. i just think people arent as willing to give up those opportunities. They are uncomfortable enough just having to fight gsp's kind of fight

i dont think he's going to step it up and start knocking people out left right and center. the defensive aspect of the sport has grown extensively in the last couple years. now everybody has a black belt, a strong wrestling base and some form of martial arts striking perfected. you have to have all of that just to make it into the sport. this is why one trick ponies like kimbo slice or tank abbott will never succeed these days. you need to have a variety of tools in your bag to work with simply because you are dealing with guys more adept than even 5 years ago. you have to know so much more, especially defensively just to even make it out of a fight without injury

it's alot harder to finish any fights these days because of the growing defensive awareness of the sport. You can be the toughest baddest man on the planet, yetreally the only easy way to finish a fights these days is to wait until your opponent makes a mistake, or if its a complete one sided mismatch from the start, or if you and your opponent decide to go balls to the wall and see who drops first. It's not like the good old rock em sock em robot days. the sport has evolved where the well rounded ones will be the most dominant, and the crowd pleasing knockout artists will end up with an early retirement, with a chin of chuck liddell, and an accent of rocky balboa. Some people take the chances, and some dont.

If GSP finished fights this wouldn't be an issue

That is all

This aint the Ultimate Decision Championship

? Its also not the Ultimate Finishing Championship ... There's nothing wrong with going to a decision. It's just as fans since he's considered top 1 or 2 in the world and we expect more out of him. Even though we'd like to see it it would be stupid for him to open up and take more chances when he's able to go in with a game plan and perfect it with taking little to no damage.

? Its also not the Ultimate Finishing Championship ... There's nothing wrong with going to a decision. It's just as fans since he's considered top 1 or 2 in the world and we expect more out of him. Even though we'd like to see it it would be stupid for him to open up and take more chances when he's able to go in with a game plan and perfect it with taking little to no damage.

It wouldn't be stupid of him, I disagree entirely on that statement. I do however agree that it's the challengers duty to go in there and try to bring the fight and TAKE THE BELT from the champion , which none have been able to do and I'm rather certain he's faced the best competition out of all the fighters in the UFC.

It wouldn't be stupid of him' date=' I disagree entirely on that statement. I do however agree that [b']it's the challengers duty to go in there and try to bring the fight and TAKE THE BELT from the champion[/b] , which none have been able to do and I'm rather certain he's faced the best competition out of all the fighters in the UFC.

Bingo!

Everyone can stop the GSP decision hate now. As I've said forever, it takes two to tango.

But if he is so good and they're all so 1 dimensional why can't he finish a fight.

1 dimensional doesn't mean easy to finish. Guys like Fitch and Shields are tough to beat, nonetheless finish. Though Hardy should have been finished.

You gotta realize its not a double standard...

The reason why GSP is under the most scrutiny is because he is considered the best fighter in the world by a lot people and he has a lot to live up to that. It happens with all superstar sports players like that.

Now when you talk about him to Aldo... Aldo has 2 fights where there was a hard fought decision ...Gsp has been on a 4 fight decision spree where he fought conservatively and defensively (can't knock him for that' date=' its what makes him so good)

In boxing there's people who don't like watching Mayweather because of how good his defense is and he picks his shots very carefully...The same goes for Gsp its just the style and where these people are ranked is why they get so much heat.

For me i enjoy watching Gsp fights but they're just not as memorable or exciting imo. I remember specifics when Diaz beat Daley but when GSP beat kosh all i remember is a blur of jabs.[/quote']

I think there is a double standard in some cases. I think something some people don't consider is that GSP constantly fights tough wrestlers. If you constantly go for the finish against a guy like Fitch or Shields, you'll end up losing the decision.

There has been a lot of hate on GSP' date=' as all successful athletes will expirience. Many are saying however, that he is boring, despite how active he is, and I believe that not only is he not boring, but none of you believe so either.

The fact that all of you continously watch him is proof enough, but let's go a little further.[/quote']

No it?s not proof that we don?t think GSP is boring. I watched Gurgel vs Duarte for crying out loud. Doesn?t mean that I?m either a Gurgel fan or a Duarte fan. I watch GSP because he is on a card that is exciting to watch. UFC 129 was a great card with a lot of intriguing match ups. I thought the GSP vs Shields was the worst match-ups and it shows. The one fight that people complained about on that card was?. GSP vs Shields, and rightfully so. GSP IS boring to watch and for 4 fights we have been getting the proof for that.

GSP-Shields' date=' two guys that are wrongfully labeled "LnP' fighters, actually stood and went punch for punch. The only way to call it boring is to exaggerate what actually happened. The only reason you call it boring is because of their names. Was Carwin-Dos Santos that much better? But no one complains about that fight.[/quote']

Carwin-Dos Santos WAS a better fight because something actually happened there. Round one was awesome, round two was average, round three was boring. Can you name me one round that was exciting in the GSP-Shields fight and why?

Another example is GSP-Kos. GSP was criticized for not finishing Kos' date=' and put on a jab clinic. He mixed in some hooks, but to no avail. This fight was called boring, but when Aldo did practically the same thing against Faber, he was called vicous, a true warrior, despite no attempt to finish. Both fights were similiar, the only difference is that GSP is hated and Aldo is not.[/quote']

Wathing someone brutally low-kick another person to the point that guy can barely stand on two legs is way more exciting than watching one guy basically only throw jabs for 5 rounds. Also, while Aldo brutally low-kicked Faber?s leg into a pulp, that wasn?t the only thing that happened in the fight, there were combinations thrown other than the low-kicks and the fight at one point went to the ground and could have been stopped at any time. Other than GSP throwing jabs for 5 rounds, nothing else happened. Watching jab after jab landing on Koscheck was just outright boring especially when you consider the fact that GSP promised a stoppage and had to apologize AGAIN for not delivering on that promise.

My last example' date=' is BJ Penn. People consider him a great finisher, and call him exciting, but he's failed to finish in 3 of his last 4 fights, his only finish being a guy GSP has finished twice. Yet he is hailed as a warrior.[/quote']

Although I?m no fan of Penn and I think he is overvalued, This comparison falls flat on his face. You can?t fault Penn for not finishing fights he loses or draws. Penn is a lightweight and drew against Fitch, one of the biggest Welterweights in the UFC. Penn lost two fights against Edgar who is tough as nails. Yet the fights he won before that at lightweight were all finishes: Stevens (submission), Sherk (TKO), Florian (submission), Sanchez (Doctor?s stoppage). The fights that he won he finished in spectacular fashion.

So cry all you want' date=' you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.[/quote']

Who ever tried to fool you? We just call things as they are. GSP not finishing fights doesn?t matter that much. But the reason he doesn?t finish fights is solely on him to blame: He doesn?t go for the kill, he wants to fight safe. Hence the names Georges SAFE-Pierre, Georges AINT-Pierre, etc.

Cheers

No it?s not proof that we don?t think GSP is boring. I watched Gurgel vs Duarte for crying out loud. Doesn?t mean that I?m either a Gurgel fan or a Duarte fan. I watch GSP because he is on a card that is exciting to watch. UFC 129 was a great card with a lot of intriguing match ups. I thought the GSP vs Shields was the worst match-ups and it shows. The one fight that people complained about on that card was?. GSP vs Shields' date=' and rightfully so. GSP IS boring to watch and for 4 fights we have been getting the proof for that.[/Quote']

Okay, it either proves you don't find him boring or you're an idiot.Why watch something you hate to watch? Is that not stupid? Sorry if I'm calling names, but I don't know how to phrase it any different.

Carwin-Dos Santos WAS a better fight because something actually happened there. Round one was awesome, round two was average, round three was boring. Can you name me one round that was exciting in the GSP-Shields fight and why? [/Quote]

But what happened to make it so much more "exciting"? GSP rocked Shields twice, JDS only once. But whether it's a better fight or not comes down to opinion, and I cannot disprove or change yours.

Wathing someone brutally low-kick another person to the point that guy can barely stand on two legs is way more exciting than watching one guy basically only throw jabs for 5 rounds. Also, while Aldo brutally low-kicked Faber?s leg into a pulp, that wasn?t the only thing that happened in the fight, there were combinations thrown other than the low-kicks and the fight at one point went to the ground and could have been stopped at any time. Other than GSP throwing jabs for 5 rounds, nothing else happened. Watching jab after jab landing on Koscheck was just outright boring especially when you consider the fact that GSP promised a stoppage and had to apologize AGAIN for not delivering on that promise.

[/Quote]

There weere takedowns and other combinations being thrown in the Kos fight too. But for argument's sake you have to exagerrate, much like I mentioned. If Faber can't walk, why not finish him? At least Kos can say he had the threat of a takewdown.

Although I?m no fan of Penn and I think he is overvalued, This comparison falls flat on his face. You can?t fault Penn for not finishing fights he loses or draws. Penn is a lightweight and drew against Fitch, one of the biggest Welterweights in the UFC. Penn lost two fights against Edgar who is tough as nails. Yet the fights he won before that at lightweight were all finishes: Stevens (submission), Sherk (TKO), Florian (submission), Sanchez (Doctor?s stoppage). The fights that he won he finished in spectacular fashion. [/Quote]

Why can't you fault him? If he wantewd to beat Edgar, why not just finish him? I mean, after all, Edgar did go punch for punch with him. It is his fault, if he's such a good finisher, he should have finished. He wouldn't have tied or lost those decisions had they not gone to decision.

Who ever tried to fool you? We just call things as they are. GSP not finishing fights doesn?t matter that much. But the reason he doesn?t finish fights is solely on him to blame: He doesn?t go for the kill, he wants to fight safe. Hence the names Georges SAFE-Pierre, Georges AINT-Pierre, etc.

Cheers

Everyone is trying to fool me, that's what fools do, they fool. I don't care if he finishes or not. People will, and always have, hate on fighters with superior fighting styles. It's been happening since UFC 1.

Thanks man' date=' same to you. How have you been? Enjoy the Holidays?[/quote']

Yeah I'm ok mate.

Good new year & ok holidays.

Hope you had a good xmas & new year also.

If GSP actually admitted he didn't wanna finish fights and instead got to UD

This wouldn't be a problem to the fans that actually order the PPVs

But the fact that he hypes up the fight in a way saying "Don't Blink??" and ends up saying sorry for such a bad performance can getting really annoying especially for a fan who actually paid for the PPV

GSP just needs to be honest with the fans and himself

Only the "haters" recognize this because the so called GSP fans are just a bunch of yes man who would rather bring GSP down while the "haters" know he is better than that

He's boring' date=' get off his nuts.[/quote']

I'm confused. If you compliment a guy then your on his nuts, if you hate on a guy your on his nuts. Is there anyway to discuss a fighter without 'Riding-His-Nuts?'

If GSP actually admitted he didn't wanna finish fights and instead got to UD

This wouldn't be a problem to the fans that actually order the PPVs

But the fact that he hypes up the fight in a way saying "Don't Blink??" and ends up saying sorry for such a bad performance can getting really annoying especially for a fan who actually paid for the PPV

GSP just needs to be honest with the fans and himself

Only the "haters" recognize this because the so called GSP fans are just a bunch of yes man who would rather bring GSP down while the "haters" know he is better than that

Bro that's the problem. EVERYBODY keeps assuming GSP doesn't want to finish like there all a bunch of mind readers. GSP is obviously trying to stop guys and just because he hasn't doesn't mean he isn't trying.

Look at Koschecks eye, Hardy in an armbar and Kimura and shields getting dropped by a headkick. Sorry guys, but your just wrong in that area...it ain't that simple.

One flaw in your theory. You assume everyone is a GSP hater and assumes that everyone considered the other fights with other fighters you listed as epic contest. All the ones you listed were boring to me to. I just call it as I see it. But lets think about this logically. GSP makes no attempts to really finish a fighter. And he is a big name. Therefore he gets more bs because of his track record. He has a record of not trying to finish. While other guys finish or try to

Bro that's the problem. EVERYBODY keeps assuming GSP doesn't want to finish like there all a bunch of mind readers. GSP is obviously trying to stop guys and just because he hasn't doesn't mean he isn't trying.

Look at Koschecks eye' date=' Hardy in an armbar and Kimura and shields getting dropped by a headkick. Sorry guys, but your just wrong in that area...it ain't that simple.[/quote']

Did you even watch the Shields fight after the headkick knocked Shields down how GSP just stand there for 3 whole seconds and then decides to let Shields back up

That gave it away big time

Don't even mention that horrible performance that is GSP vs Hardy

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GSP had the armbar wrong and should have just snapped Hardy's arm with the Kimura

Yes' date=' BJ is willing to move up in weight. But if he struggles to finish, doesn't he deserve the same criticism? It's only fair. And yes, maybe GSP should have finished Shields, but if Hendo's H-bomb couldn't what the hell in the WW division can?[/quote']

Jake Ellenberger's knee.

One flaw in your theory. You assume everyone is a GSP hater and assumes that everyone considered the other fights with other fighters you listed as epic contest. All the ones you listed were boring to me to. I just call it as I see it. But lets think about this logically. GSP makes no attempts to really finish a fighter. And he is a big name. Therefore he gets more bs because of his track record. He has a record of not trying to finish. While other guys finish or try to

-Hardy in an Armbar and Kimura looked like he tried to finish TWICE to me...

-Koscheck getting he eye pounded on look like GSP was going for a doctor stoppage...

-Shields getting launched by a punch and dropped with a head kick ALL looked like attempts at a finish to me...

I guess it's what people WANT to look at I guess.

Did you even watch the Shields fight after the headkick knocked Shields down how GSP just stand there for 3 whole seconds and then decides to let Shields back up

GSP had the armbar wrong and should have just snapped Hardy's arm with the Kimura

It was not 3 seconds. It was like 1 and a half seconds.

And for a moment, he started to pounce. And then he probably got a vision of Fedor doing hte same thing, then getting tapped. He was owning on the feet that round, so why not make sure it stays there.

Does GSP have a true killer instinct? Nah. But for not having one, he does damned good.

I wasn't saying that anyone had to be entertained as I was but that's a personal preference. But Hardy getting his Arms adjusted and Shields getting dropped = GSP was trying to stop them...Plus Shirlds dove on GSP's leg to survive.

-Koscheck getting he eye pounded on look like GSP was going for a doctor stoppage...

-Shields getting launched by a punch and dropped with a head kick ALL looked like attempts at a finish to me...

If GSP is trying to finish fights by a doctor stoppage as you suggested, then you have all the more just proved my point. GSP should have submitted Hardy no questions. Did you watch Rumble Vs Hardy? Rumble owned Hardy and LNP. Hardy has NO ground game. So imo, GSP should have easily finished both those submissions. As for the Shields punch if I recall correctly, wasn't Shields off balance going for a leg strike of some sort?

You really don't believe that

If GSP is trying to finish fights by a doctor stoppage as you suggested' date=' then you have all the more just proved my point. [b']GSP should have submitted Hardy no questions.[/b] Did you watch Rumble Vs Hardy? Rumble owned Hardy and LNP. Hardy has NO ground game. So imo, GSP should have easily finished both those submissions. As for the Shields punch if I recall correctly, wasn't Shields off balance going for a leg strike of some sort?

I feel like my point was proven as no one can say Hardy getting put in an armbar and Kimura WASN'T considered GSP trying to submit (finish) his opponent. Koschecks broken orbital bone too. I guess Hardy and Koscheck are really to blame. Why didn't they just quit in the middle of there title shots for the sake of there being a finish in a GSP fight lol...

GSP is TRYING to finish guys, that's what SHOULD matter.

I feel like my point was proven as no one can say Hardy getting put in an armbar and Kimura WASN'T considered GSP trying to submit (finish) his opponent. Koschecks broken orbital bone too. I guess Hardy and Koscheck are really to blame. Why didn't they just quit in the middle of there title shots for the sake of there being a finish in a GSP fight lol...

GSP is TRYING to finish guys' date=' that's what SHOULD matter.[/quote']

GSP isn't trying to finish fighters though. He plays it safe and does his usual and if he gets an advantages position, or rocks someone he might go out of his usual robot-ness for a 3 second span, then go back to robo gsp. He is scared of losing the title due to a fluke. I guess The Serra is forever in his head. haha

GSP is TRYING to finish guys' date=' that's what SHOULD matter.[/quote']

This is true. GSP has said many times that he is trying to finish the fights he's involved in, he just doesn't. The real question is why. Its a good debate topic when people aren't getting all stupid.

Yes' date=' BJ is willing to move up in weight. But if he struggles to finish, doesn't he deserve the same criticism? It's only fair. And yes, maybe GSP should have finished Shields, but if Hendo's H-bomb couldn't what the hell in the WW division can?[/quote']

Ellenberger !

GSP is not boring but letting Shields up and up when he could have done some vicious ground and pound (with Greg Jackson's elbow) was just not wise and he got a busted up eye because of being too safe. I have no problem with admitting this.

If he fought Silva he wouldn't have no option of hesitating to be safe, at least that is what I think. And again, no hate to GSP, he is a phenomenal fighter and athlete!

Yeah I'm ok mate.

Good new year & ok holidays.

Hope you had a good xmas & new year also.

Yeah man' date=' same to you. How's life "down undah" been?

Oh snap, dfw is back

Oh how I have missed our conversations, Happy holidays

Same to you bro, and I owe you a huge apology. I still don't like the Diaz bros, but I never respected their skill and I was wrong.....period. They can fight, whether I like it or not. Anyway, I hope lives been treating you well

I'm confused. If you compliment a guy then your on his nuts' date=' if you hate on a guy your on his nuts. Is there anyway to discuss a fighter without 'Riding-His-Nuts?'[/quote']

Good question, but you need to get off my nuts about it.

GSP-Shields' date=' two guys that are wrongfully labeled "LnP' fighters[/b'], actually stood and went punch for punch.

So cry all you want, you're not fooling me. I'll know when you guys truly find him boring, because that's when you'll stop talking about him.

wrongfully labeled? Do you even watch UFC events?

punch for punch isnt that impressive when neither fighter can bust a grape in a fruit fight(got 99 problems and an arrow took care of one :D)

And we'll stop saying GSP is boring when GSP is no longer headlining events. How do i know? Have we talked about Jake Shields since that fight?

Yeah man' date=' same to you. How's life "down undah" been?

Same to you bro, and I owe you a huge apology. I still don't like the Diaz bros, but I never respected their skill and I was wrong.....period. They can fight, whether I like it or not. Anyway, I hope lives been treating you well[/quote']

No apology is necessary. We all have people we like and people we don't like, it's what makes for good (and sometimes stupid LoL) debates. Life is good and I hope the same for you. Glad to see you posting again

No apology is necessary. We all have people we like and people we don't like' date=' it's what makes for good (and sometimes stupid LoL) debates. Life is good and I hope the same for you. Glad to see you posting again[/quote']

That's true man, and thanks. It's good to see there are still mature posters on the forum.

Great post!

I am a huge GSP fan, but I also am dissapointed at certain times in his fights when he doesn't go in for the kill...but it is understandable why he doesn't...he's always in control and is never reckless.

I find GSP extremely fun to watch, even if only from an athletic perspective. I've coached and played football in the past and I have a bit of a wrestling background. When I watch GSP and see the focus he has and his ability to keep the fight wherever he wants it is fascinating. When you have coached athletes, even in other sports outside of MMA you tend to focus on small details, foot placement, how they move their hips, positioning etc. Watching GSP's athletecism is amazing...

I know most people love to see a great brawl, me included, but I hope that people can also see when a truly great and absolutely dominant champion performs the way he does, they appreciate it.

btw, this lay n pray crap that people accuse GSP of is ridiculous...has anyone noticed how easily GSP passes guard and is constantly changing and improving his position?

He may not have finished his last few fights, but he put on a clinic in each one. BJ Penn - exciting fighter, Alves - exciting fighter, Dan Hardy - exciting fighter...many people on here comment on how boring those fights were...is that because GSP is boring, or were people just frustrated that GSP dominated them so badly that they had almost no answer for anything he did...I believe the latter, it takes 2 guys to make an exciting fight and if you aren't good enough to hang with the champ, don't blame the champ.

Great post!

I am a huge GSP fan' date=' but I also am dissapointed at certain times in his fights when he doesn't go in for the kill...but it is understandable why he doesn't...he's always in control and is never reckless.

I find GSP extremely fun to watch, even if only from an athletic perspective. I've coached and played football in the past and I have a bit of a wrestling background. When I watch GSP and see the focus he has and his ability to keep the fight wherever he wants it is fascinating. When you have coached athletes, even in other sports outside of MMA you tend to focus on small details, foot placement, how they move their hips, positioning etc. Watching GSP's athletecism is amazing...

I know most people love to see a great brawl, me included, but I hope that people can also see when a truly great and absolutely dominant champion performs the way he does, they appreciate it.

btw, this lay n pray crap that people accuse GSP of is ridiculous...has anyone noticed how easily GSP passes guard and is constantly changing and improving his position?

He may not have finished his last few fights, but he put on a clinic in each one. BJ Penn - exciting fighter, Alves - exciting fighter, Dan Hardy - exciting fighter...many people on here comment on how boring those fights were...is that because GSP is boring, or were people just frustrated that GSP dominated them so badly that they had almost no answer for anything he did...I believe the latter, it takes 2 guys to make an exciting fight and if you aren't good enough to hang with the champ, don't blame the champ.[/quote']

Many people find lopsided fights boring, especially when the "dominating" fighter can't finish after 25 minutes.

Many people find lopsided fights boring' date=' especially when the "dominating" fighter can't finish after 25 minutes.[/quote']

It's like watching a football team march down the field and into the endzone each and every drive, but failing to score a TD, and instead going for a field goal. They can hold their own defensively, walk all over them when it comes to gaining yards, but can't score 6? It's fun (sometimes) to watch them gain their yardage, but frustrating when they can't score.

And with this guy being a coach, you think that would be one of the things that would bug him

It's like watching a football team march down the field and into the endzone each and every drive' date=' but failing to score a TD, and instead going for a field goal. They can hold their own defensively, walk all over them when it comes to gaining yards, but can't score 6? It's fun (sometimes) to watch them gain their yardage, but frustrating when they can't score.

And with this guy being a coach, you think that would be one of the things that would bug him[/quote']

Well said. Plus blow outs are simply not interesting. If I see a football game and its 54-0, I don't even feel compelled to watch the rest of the game. However, in MMA you have a carrot that is constantly dangling there. A fighter that is dominating a fight can finish the guy in the fifth, which encourages you to watch the fight to the very end. And when it doesn't happen, you feel screwed for wasting that much time watching a blow out. Its one of the best and worst things about MMA.

GSP contender have to try to take is belt ' date=' bring a fight to GSP .

They all only try to survire like kos , shield , hardry etc .....[/quote']

True, but GSP is suppose to go after them to. The title of champion doesn't mean that now you are able to sit back and let them come after you.

True' date=' but GSP is suppose to go after them to. The title of champion doesn't mean that now you are able to sit back and let them come after you.[/quote']

GSP is realy active in is last couple fight he just didnt finish .

GSP is realy active in is last couple fight he just didnt finish .

don't lie to your self bobilator his last 2 fights where boring as eff

btw i hope you die in a car fire ;)