Why all the Dana hate?

Duke101

Whats everyone's beef with Dana? Please elaborate in your answers. I mean I admit hes been 2 sided about strikeforce ever since Zuffa took over that, and flaky about the whoe gsp vs silva thing. but other than that what is it? Maybe theres just a lot of hippy liberals on here that dont like his success with capitalism? at the end of the day, I dont think mma would have survived if it hadnt been for this guy. so whats your beef, stranger?

I don't like him because he doesn't care about his fighters' date=' it's all about money for him. He acts like a crybaby bedwetter when he doesn't get his way.[/quote']

Admittedly I'm a Dana fan but honestly curious when he has shown he does not care about fighters? Specifics? It's tough to run a huge business and balance caring for fighters and making money. For the most part he seems to thread it pretty damn well but no one is perfect.

Lets his own emotions interfere with business which often looks very childish.

I wish he used the F word in public less but never found him to be childish. Running a business you love is going to make you emotional at times. It's understandable. For the most part he seems like a serious person when the situation warrants it. Better than Coker who is the most PC CEO around and bores the hell out of people

Admittedly I'm a Dana fan but honestly curious when he has shown he does not care about fighters? Specifics? It's tough to run a huge business and balance caring for fighters and making money. For the most part he seems to thread it pretty damn well but no one is perfect.

I am on a cell phone so I can't type too much stuff, but I will hit on just one thing(although I could talk about numerous things).

Did you know Dana cut Jon Fitch before? He cut him because Fitch would not sign away rights to his name for a videogame. It was when UFC undisputed was being made. Dana wanted Jon to sign away his name for this video game for life. Jon didn't want to do it for life he wanted to work on like a 10 year contract. Specifically because he wanted to make sure his family would be taken care of if he were to die. He didn't want the UFC making money off his name for the length that the game would be made(which will be forever because they realease a new one every year like madden) without his family seeing some of that money. Makes sense to me. Well Dana cut Jon without even discussing a contract, Jon didn't even know he was cut. He had to find out through the Internet. Then Dana being the crybaby that he is goes off and says he's going to cut everyone that is from his gym also, which would be: Swick, Kos, and Cain(current champ). All because Jon wouldn't sign his rights away for life. Of course Jon gave in and agreed because he didn't want to lose his job or his friends to lose their job, so the cut only lasted 24 hours.

Personally I think that is some lame crap, and made me see Dana in a whole new light. The whole story is on MMAJunkie if you can find it. I have the link for it on my computer but like I said I'm on my phone.

People will have different views on this situation but I am looking at it as just another spoiled child not getting his way. He worries about money too much. If your willing to cut your top contender and his gym mates over that then you don't care about your fighters in my eyes.

One thing I hate about Dana is that he is another "money man" who has power over everyone, and uses that power to pretend he is some kind of bad a s s. The other thing I hate about him is that I think MMA, and every other sport, for that matter, should be about the athletes, but Dana has such a huge ego that he has fallen in love with the publicity, and uses his position to get in front of the camera every chance he gets. I don't want to hear his opinions on the fights and the fighters, I want to hear someone who really knows something! Did you hear Dana say " I'm a dream maker, but I can crush people too" ??? I would love to KTFO that punk!!!

One thing I hate about Dana is that he is another "money man" who has power over everyone' date=' and uses that power to pretend he is some kind of bad a s s. The other thing I hate about him is that I think MMA, and every other sport, for that matter, should be about the athletes, but Dana has such a huge ego that he has fallen in love with the publicity, and uses his position to get in front of the camera every chance he gets. I don't want to hear his opinions on the fights and the fighters, I want to hear someone who really knows something![/quote']

Dana obviously knows something man, Resurrecting a dead organization and turning it into the great Sports organization in the world and use MMA's hype to monopolize the UFC as its major juggernaut.

I don't like him because he doesn't care about his fighters' date=' it's all about money for him. He acts like a crybaby bedwetter when he doesn't get his way.[/quote']

He does care about his fighters! He might not pay all of them that much, but he does care about them. The guy revolutionized mma, and is also one of the nicest people I have met. He is very grounded and always has a lot of time for fans, which you have got to respect. I got nothing but love for Dana

He does care about his fighters! He might not pay all of them that much' date=' but he does care about them. The guy revolutionized mma, and is also one of the nicest people I have met. He is very grounded and always has a lot of time for fans, which you have got to respect. I got nothing but love for Dana[/quote']

this

He does care about his fighters! He might not pay all of them that much' date=' but he does care about them. The guy revolutionized mma, and is also one of the nicest people I have met. He is very grounded and always has a lot of time for fans, which you have got to respect. I got nothing but love for Dana[/quote']

He doesn't pay all of them that much? really? how much does he pay them? No really, besides disclosed pay, how much else do they get in non disclosed pay?

Who said anything about how much he pays his fighters?

Of course he has time for his fans, he has to promote his product to make money. Personally I could care less if he has time for fans, I don't have to respect that because I am not one of his fans

Dana obviously knows something man' date=' Resurrecting a dead organization and turning it into the great Sports organization in the world and use MMA's hype to monopolize the UFC as its major juggernaut.[/quote']

He hijacked a sport that had been banned in the US, brought back a watered down version that could get a license in the US, and filled it up with white fighters that white America would love to watch. You said the magic word: hype.

woah' date=' I am just playing devils advocate here, I personally think they get paid enough when it comes down to locker room bonuses and sponsors, just a lot of Dana haters site fighter pay as being low, and using that as a reason to hate on him[/quote']

Boxing is supposed to be a dying sport. but they make more!!!!

Dana is the Paul Castellano of MMA.

Everyone loved him, when Paul took over the Gambino family. Gangsters were happy they finally had a boss that was more of a businessman than a gangster. Or as Sammy Gravano put it, he was "the best thing since sliced bread." They felt he was the kind of boss that a modern Cosa Nostra needed to march into the new age and into the future.

Not too long after, all the other mob guys realized he was completely out of touch. He had no idea what it was to be a working gangster on the hustle. They grew to loathe him, and eventually whacked the guy.

Dana brought the UFC and MMA out of near collapse and made it what it is today. He is however, greedy, arrogant and a bully. He has let success go straight to his head just like so many Hollywood pinheads.

There's the John Fitch thing. Also, remember some time last year when he tried to force fighter sponsors to pay up to the UFC or else fighters couldn't display their logos inside the Octagon.

Remember the rift between he and Randy in 07-08. I remember watching an episode of Unleashed and Tyson Griffin had the Xtreme Couture logo on his shorts blurred out the entire fight. Completely ridiculous.

Yes, Dana is the best thing to happen to MMA. However, his greed and ego are now counterproductive and many fans feel he is holding back the sport. And when the ordinary fan on the street feels something, the stench is indeed that bad.

Dana is the Paul Castellano of MMA.

Everyone loved him' date=' when Pual took over the Gambino family. Gangsters were happy they finally had a boss that was more of a businessman than a gangster. Or as Sammy Gravano put it, he was "the best thing since sliced bread." They felt he was the kind of boss that a modern Cosa Nostra needed to march into the new age and into the future.

Not too long after, all the other mob guys realized he was completely out of touch. He had no idea what it was to be a working gangster on the hustle. They grew to loathe him, and eventually whacked the guy.

Dana brought the UFC and MMA out of near collapse and made it what it is today. He is however, greedy, arrogant and a bully. He has let success go straight to his head just like so many Hollywood pinheads.

There's the John Fitch thing. Also, remember some time last year when he tried to force fighter sponsors to pay up to the UFC or else fighters couldn't display their logos inside the Octagon.

Remember the rift between he and Randy in 07-08. I remember watching an episode of Unleashed and Tyson Griffin had the Xtreme Couture logo on his shorts blurred out the entire fight. Completely ridiculous.

Yes, Dana is the best thing to happen to MMA. However, his greed and ego are now counterproductive and many fans feel he is holding back the sport. And when the ordinary fan on the street feels something, the stench is indeed that bad.[/quote']

I like your post, except for the fact that you are comparing killers to legitimate businessmen!!!

I am on a cell phone so I can't type too much stuff' date=' but I will hit on just one thing(although I could talk about numerous things).

Did you know Dana cut Jon Fitch before? He cut him because Fitch would not sign away rights to his name for a videogame. It was when UFC undisputed was being made. Dana wanted Jon to sign away his name for this video game for life. Jon didn't want to do it for life he wanted to work on like a 10 year contract. Specifically because he wanted to make sure his family would be taken care of if he were to die. He didn't want the UFC making money off his name for the length that the game would be made(which will be forever because they realease a new one every year like madden) without his family seeing some of that money. Makes sense to me. Well Dana cut Jon without even discussing a contract, Jon didn't even know he was cut. He had to find out through the Internet. Then Dana being the crybaby that he is goes off and says he's going to cut everyone that is from his gym also, which would be: Swick, Kos, and Cain(current champ). All because Jon wouldn't sign his rights away for life. Of course Jon gave in and agreed because he didn't want to lose his job or his friends to lose their job, so the cut only lasted 24 hours.

Personally I think that is some lame crap, and made me see Dana in a whole new light. The whole story is on MMAJunkie if you can find it. I have the link for it on my computer but like I said I'm on my phone.

People will have different views on this situation but I am looking at it as just another spoiled child not getting his way. He worries about money too much. If your willing to cut your top contender and his gym mates over that then you don't care about your fighters in my eyes.[/quote']

Fair enough. Dana's stance w/ Fitch seems pretty harsh. My guess is as many instances of him being unreasonable could be surpassed by instances of him being decent/generous with fighters. I guess I think hate is a pretty strong word and can't see it being used as often as it's for Dana. I'll reserve that for those who harm kids/women.

As for money, sorry but thats what it is all about. A reality of life that is not going to change.

Lets be honest, we would not be having this conversation if not for Dana/Zuffa

I like your post' date=' except for the fact that you are comparing killers to legitimate businessmen!!![/quote']

I was comparing the situation, only. Don't anybody go and make any inferences now.

It just seemed eerily similar how they loved Paul at first and then couldn't wait for him to leave.

Yeah' date=' but don't compare an undercard to a main event. Compare an undercard to an undercard and a main event to a main event[/quote']

You should compare the gross income (live and pay per view) to the amount paid in total purses. The UFC is a monthly pay per view. Anywhere from half a million to 1 million buys for each pay per view. At $50. each, that's 25 to 50 million dollars a month, Wrestlers,Jui Jitsu fighters, Kick boxers, etc. weren't making anything before, so they are happy with $15,000 or more for a fight, but they are being ripped off!

And what's this horse manure about locker room bonuses.

I starting to feel that was something that was brought up at some point for one particular fight, and now we're made to believe that every guy on the undercard making a measly 10k is given some huge bonus afterward.

Why not just pay the guy a fair amount up front.

And what's this horse manure about locker room bonuses.

I starting to feel that was something that was brought up at some point for one particular fight' date=' and now we're made to believe that every guy on the undercard making a measly 10k is given some huge bonus afterward.

Why not just pay the guy a fair amount up front.[/quote']

every guy on the undercard does get an undisclosed bonus... can you say that about boxing?

also the UFC does not collect all the money from PPV sales. In fact it collects less than 50%. Seeing as they are also their own production company, perhaps you should factor the costs into that total as well... oh and operating costs. oh and insurance costs. oh and marketing costs... you get the point.

yeah but this is the catch - they get paid little' date=' fight their asses of and stay humble or they get paid a lot get picky about their opponents, and fight safe as they are no longer fighting for bonus checks[/quote']

I just feel that this abitrary 10k starting pay is way too low. UFC has been using it for a while now and should be brought up to maybe 25k.

You have to pay your gym, your boxing guy, your wrestling guy, your BJJ guy, your nutritionist, strength and conditioning guy. If you decide to bring them in from the outside, it all costs money. You also have to pay your own bills to live and eat.

There's also no guarantee you're going to score a significant sponsor if you're an undercar fighter trying to make a name for yourself in the sport.

10k to show up and possibly walk away with a medical suspension is not a fair deal.

every guy on the undercard does get an undisclosed bonus... can you say that about boxing?

also the UFC does not collect all the money from PPV sales. In fact it collects less than 50%. Seeing as they are also their own production company' date=' perhaps you should factor the costs into that total as well... oh and operating costs. oh and insurance costs. oh and marketing costs... you get the point.[/quote']

Good points, but I think there is something wrong with "secret" bonuses. Also, if their costs amount to half of the gross ( this includes purses) the UFC still makes $300 million or more per year!!!

I just feel that this abitrary 10k starting pay is way too low. UFC has been using it for a while now and should be brought up to maybe 25k.

You have to pay your gym' date=' your boxing guy, your wrestling guy, your BJJ guy, your nutritionist, strength and conditioning guy. If you decide to bring them in from the outside, it all costs money. You also have to pay your own bills to live and eat.

There's also no guarantee you're going to score a significant sponsor if you're an undercar fighter trying to make a name for yourself in the sport.

10k to show up and possibly walk away with a medical suspension is not a fair deal.[/quote']

Any guy on the roster who is showing a disclosed of income of 10 and 10 WILL IN FACT be making a hell of a lot more than that by the end of the night. You guys have to get it through your head that what is disclosed to the commissions is all they make, it simply IS NOT TRUE.

it seems like dana white tries to take credit for everything. TUF was what really made the UFC what it is today. TUF wasn't his idea and dana white was against it from the get go. then he comes in making it look like it was his idea.

plus, he's annoying as hell.

Good points' date=' but I think there is something wrong with "secret" bonuses. Also, if their costs amount to half of the gross ( this includes purses) the UFC still makes $300 million or more per year!!![/quote']

I think costs are a lot higher than half gross. Seriously, think about it. I dare anyone to put together a list of potential operating costs vs revenues.

I have said it dozens of times.

I mean some way to fact check it. It would be nice to know that there aren't any fighters walking away all busted up, medical suspended and nothing to show for it but 10k.

If the UFC is in fact giving out bonuses to all fighters, then that goes a long way.

What me letting you know this isn't enough?

McCorkle himself posted on the UG about the **** load of money that the UFC gave him that wasn't disclosed. He himself said it is the norm for all fighters.

Well, you being a mod does add some weight to it. Thanks.

It would be nice for the UFC to clear this up somehow, cause the discussion always comes up when the athletic comissions disclose pay after an event.

Well' date=' you being a mod does add some weight to it. Thanks.

It would be nice for the UFC to clear this up somehow, cause the discussion always comes up when the athletic comissions disclose pay after an event.[/quote']

the UFC is not going to clear it up in any way. The salaries of fighter is the private information of the fighters only. Would you like your pay stubs posted here for all us to see? Please remember that the UFC is a private company that employs private contractors (fighters) and is not regulated to disclose pay (except that is agreed to by a state athletic commission)

Archived