Who is the greateest WW of all time?

waikru

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play all of their fights in one sitting (which will take a long time) and close your eyes. Just listen to the crowds.

I'll tell you that I don't really care for either of the guys, but Matt was one confident and exciting fighter. His mental ability to overcome some deficits and completely wow the crowd was amazing.

Play all of their fights in one sitting (which will take a long time) and close your eyes. Just listen to the crowds.

I'll tell you that I don't really care for either of the guys' date=' but Matt was one confident and exciting fighter. His mental ability to overcome some deficits and completely wow the crowd was amazing.[/quote']

The second Frank Trigg fight comes to mind when you were talking about deficits. That fight was fantastic.

Why?

Why? I will give you the answer: more title defenses, more finishes.

PS - Watch Hughes/Trigg 2. Hughes is a true champ and didn't even get mad at Trigg despite all the bad blood and illegal strikes.

Disclaimer: GSP is younger and still the reigning champ. He has the chance to bypass Hughes as far as title defenses. But if he doesn't vastly change his style, he will never finish fights like Hughes did.

Why? I will give you the answer: more title defenses' date=' more finishes.

PS - Watch Hughes/Trigg 2. Hughes is a true champ and didn't even get mad at Trigg despite all the bad blood and illegal strikes.

Disclaimer: GSP is younger and still the reigning champ. He has the chance to bypass Hughes as far as title defenses. But if he doesn't vastly change his style, he will never finish fights like Hughes did.[/quote']

Good point.

The second Frank Trigg fight comes to mind when you were talking about deficits. That fight was fantastic.

That fight was like something out of a movie. I mean, it was 99% towards a Trigg victory, and out of nowhere Matt pulls off an amazing slam and choke. That is why Matt is the best WW in my book. GSP would have tapped to Trigg's strikes.

Watch a hughes title defense then watch a GSP title defense and tell me which one you liked better.

I have to agree entertainment value is important. Muhammed Ali was never the most dominarting champion, but his fights were fantastic.

That fight was like something out of a movie. I mean' date=' it was 99% towards a Trigg victory, and out of nowhere Matt pulls off an amazing slam and choke. That is why Matt is the best WW in my book. GSP would have tapped to Trigg's strikes.[/quote']

The second Penn fight was pretty good as well. Penn had the triangle and then the bell rang. Hughes comes back the next round and TKO's Penn.

So your position is that the fighter that wins the most against the other is the greatest of all time?

Well how do you determine who is the best of all time? By winning...And these two fought 3 times..So if GSP beat Hughes 2 out of 3 times how in the world can Hughes be considered "better"

The second Penn fight was pretty good as well. Penn had the triangle and then the bell rang. Hughes comes back the next round and TKO's Penn.

And Penn is not someone who just gets tko'd. Again, the comebacks and utter wars Matt has been through will never be surpassed by a safe, albeit smart, fighter like GSP.

Well how do you determine who is the best of all time? By winning...And these two fought 3 times..So if GSP beat Hughes 2 out of 3 times how in the world can Hughes be considered "better"

If Matt Serra was to beat GSP again, would that make Matt Serra the greatest of all time?

What would it take for GSP to take the greatest ww of all time title?

I think many fans feel that he needs to simply 'try' to be more exciting. fighting with a gameplan or fighting smart is ok, but when doing it to the Degree that GSP has been in his last 3, it makes possible great fights or finishes just not happen. Too much of anything can be a bad thing, and GSP has shown that with his safety first fighting approach.

Yeah it honestly should...That would never happen but if it did yeah why not..He d be beating arguably the best P4P fighter in the world..I mean if you beat the best you should be considered the best.

I guess Hughes still wins this then sense he beat both GSP and Serra without ever losing to Serra once.

Yeah it honestly should...That would never happen but if it did yeah why not..He d be beating arguably the best P4P fighter in the world..I mean if you beat the best you should be considered the best.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. There is always a guy out there that can beat you. The question is if that guy can beat others to get himself in a situation where it happens for the title. Just because Serra beat GSP doesn't mean that Serra would be good enough to beat others in the ww weight class.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. There is always a guy out there that can beat you. The question is if that guy can beat others to get himself in a situation where it happens for the title. Just because Serra beat GSP doesn't mean that Serra would be good enough to beat others in the ww weight class.

Yeah i understand that but in order for Serra to even face GSP again he would need too string wins against top competition, so if he could do that and beat GSP he would deserve a mention.

GSP has given up 3 rounds since 2007 while cleaning an entire division.

Anyone not intelligent enough to recognize him as the greatest welterweight in UFC history isn't worth debating.

Hughes has had more title defenses/finishes. End of conversation, Hughes is the greatest WW of all time at this point.

GSP has given up 3 rounds since 2007 while cleaning out an entire division.

Anyone not intelligent enough to recognize him as the greatest welterweight in UFC history isn't worth debating.

So simply being dominant is enough to be the greatest. What about the ability to come back when you are near defeat? The whole Rock? series was based on this quality. Does that have no value? GSP has never successfully comeback from the brink of defeat.

Hughes has had more title defenses/finishes. End of conversation' date=' Hughes is the greatest WW of all time at this point.[/quote']

GSP is surpassing Hughes' title defense record against superior competition. Finishes, while important to many, are not as important then more wins against a higher calibre of opponents.

GSP is surpassing Hughes' title defense record against superior competition. Finishes' date=' while important to many, are not as important then more wins against a higher calibre of opponents.[/quote']

How do you make the determination that he faced better competiton? I don't see a lot of overly impressive WW's currently.

So simply being dominant is enough to be the greatest. What about the ability to come back when you are near defeat? The whole Rock? series was based on this quality. Does that have no value? GSP has never successfully comeback from the brink of defeat.

So what you're saying is that In order to be considered great a fighter has to be getting his *** handed to him and before coming from behind and winning. That is moronic...I'm actually embarrassed for you for posting something so utterly dumb :)

I agree' date=' but when he lost he was past his prime.[/quote']

Not really he lost too GSP when he was 32 and 33...Its not even like Hughes is old now..Like the other guy said its also competition...When Hughes was champ the contenders were all one dimensional cans..Carlos Newton? Get Out ..Joe Riggs? Almost losing to Frank Trigg..GSP would never find himself in a bad spot against Frank Trigg period.

So what you're saying is that In order to be considered great a fighter has to be getting his *** handed to him and before coming from behind and winning. That is moronic...I'm actually embarrassed for you for posting something so utterly dumb :)

No, what I am saying is that a fighter than can come back from being nearly defeated speaks volumes on his determination. GSP hasn't done that yet.

Not really he lost too GSP when he was 32 and 33...Its not even like Hughes is old now..Like the other guy said its also competition...When Hughes was champ the contenders were all one dimensional cans..Carlos Newton? Get Out ..Joe Riggs? Almost losing to Frank Trigg..GSP would never find himself in a bad spot against Frank Trigg period.

32 and 33 is past a fighters prime. Just remember Hughes put GSP away easier than those cans in their first encounter, so maybe they aren't cans.

Archived