Randy was Overrated

georgelebrun

..towards the end of his career. He was the man years ago, but in the last few years, he has been very overrated; last three wins Vera - VERY controversial decision, Coleman (grandad) and Toney (though I was very happy to see Randy stop this fool)

I am a fan of Randy, but he beat some bums, then they put him against the elite - Lesnar (i am not a fan but he is very dangerous) and Machida.

Couture is an inspiration to us all, but answer me this, in the last few years, was he really UFC calibre?

..towards the end of his career. He was the man years ago' date=' but in the last few years, he has been very overrated; last three wins Vera - VERY controversial decision, Coleman (grandad) and Toney (though I was very happy to see Randy stop this fool)

I am a fan of Randy, but he beat some bums, then they put him against the elite - Lesnar (i am not a fan but he is very dangerous) and Machida.

Couture is an inspiration to us all, but answer me this, in the last few years, was he really UFC calibre?[/quote']

Very overrated, ever since Chuck ran him out of the LHW division!!

Couture is a lovable hard working grinder who spent a great deal of his career fighting the best in the sport. Is he overrated? Yes, without question. But he also pulled off some unexpected victories and respectable performances near the end of his career that deserve respect.

PS. The Vera decision win was absolute bulls***.

Couture is a lovable hard working grinder who spent a great deal of his career fighting the best in the sport. Is he overrated? Yes' date=' without question. But he also pulled off some unexpected victories and respectable performances near the end of his career that deserve respect.

PS. The Vera decision win was absolute bulls***.[/quote']

Well said.

..towards the end of his career. He was the man years ago' date=' but in the last few years, he has been very overrated; last three wins Vera - VERY controversial decision, Coleman (grandad) and Toney (though I was very happy to see Randy stop this fool)

Couture is an inspiration to us all, but answer me this, in the last few years, was he really UFC calibre?[/quote']

ufc-randy-couture-scorpion-king.jpg

randy-couture.jpg

It's hard to say the guy is overrated when no one else has done what he has.

I don't know of any other MMA fighers who can compete in the #1 oragnization in the world at the age of 47.

In fact, he is actually in a class all by himself.

The only other guy I can think of is "The Beast" at age 53, but he does not compete against top tier competition.

When I start seeing other 47 yr olds still in the UFC maybe I'll start to say Randy's accomplishments were overrated

Randy always fought the best of the best during all those years, he was actually winning the fight against Brock and didnt do that bad against Machida before he got Knock Out.

Randy his a legend in the sport and the day you will be able to be a MMA world champion you could say he was overated and not has good has people said. But from what I know, unless your name his Silva, Gsp,Aldo, Cain etc. please dont say Randy his a bum and have respect for the guy!

I think people are too fast to see the word "overrated" and take it to mean someone thinks the fighter mentioned is crap.

Think about it objectively.

Couture has been around the fight game for a long time, longer than most have been or will be. Which he deserves respect for. (I'll add in I wouldn't be surprised if Randy had been...supplementing...in a way which might not be perfectly fight legal. To be his age and have over 25 fights and be able to be in his condition without lingering injuries or weaknesses is odd, like it or not.)

The Coleman and Toney matches were freakshow matchups, for lack of better term. None of these three have really been thought of as immensely relevent since '07 when Couture beat Gonzaga.

Really consider the last few fights Couture had against top competition.

Lost to Lesnar

Lost to Big Nog

Controversial win over Vera

Loss to Lyoto.

Hard to say Couture wasn't overrated when his two undeniable wins were over another old MMA pioneer and an old boxer.

No, he was most definitely NOT over-rated.

No one else can fight at his age with credibility. He chose Tim Sylvia when everyone thought he was crazy. He held his own against Lesnar when everyone thought he'd be killed.

He didn't fight well against Nog or Vera. But so what? He proved he wasn't looking for easy fights when he asked for Lyoto Machida.

I think the thread starter is just plain -- WRONG.

But then again, what can you expect from a board that routinely trolls GSP? No much. In fact, nothing at all.

I have come to expect NOTHING from this board collectively. I respect a select few members and the rest are forgetable.

Chuck proved this before he ever retired... twice!

Poopie Pants was stupid enough to fight him with a severely injured back and Gonzaga just sucks...

Don't get me wrong I really like Randy but his 19-11 record with submission losses to cans like the older and even ****tier overeem do not impress me. Ricco beat his *** out of the division and Couture should have lost the first fight with Pedro Rizzo... he even knows that. He got away with another one against Vera who floored his *** and Randy had to wall n stall.

No' date=' he was most definitely NOT over-rated.

No one else can fight at his age with credibility. He chose Tim Sylvia when everyone thought he was crazy. He held his own against Lesnar when everyone thought he'd be killed.

[b']He didn't fight well against Nog or Vera[/b]. But so what? He proved he wasn't looking for easy fights when he asked for Lyoto Machida.

I think the thread starter is just plain -- WRONG.

But then again, what can you expect from a board that routinely trolls GSP? No much. In fact, nothing at all.

I have come to expect NOTHING from this board collectively. I respect a select few members and the rest are forgetable.

do you not see how you have just completely contradicted yourself?

and Lesnar knocked him down... and knocked him out

and by the way, GSP is one of my favourites

he is 47 years old and he was on a 3 fight win streak before he retired (of course after a loss) unlike a 3 straight KO losing streak

lol feeding Vera to Couture almost backfired so the UFC brass was like "Damn we need to bring Mark Coleman back" and then they cut a MAIN EVENT fighter after it's over???

Couture also defeated a boxer with no grappling skills in James Toney... gimme a ****ing break.

Liddell fought Evans (former lhw champion), Shogun (former lhw champion) and Franklin (former mw champion) in his last three fights... do you see the difference?

I agree, for the most part. I'm not sure if Dana would've ever cut him, or put him in a position to be cut.

I agree' date=' for the most part. I'm not sure if Dana would've ever cut him, or put him in a position to be cut.[/quote']

Dana could have thrown his boy Chuck one of the bones he fed to Couture... I nearly **** my britches when Dana thought he was going to feed a 28 year old savage named Shogun Rua to a nearly 40 year old Liddell. My two favorite light heavies... I was not happy.

It's hard to say the guy is overrated when no one else has done what he has.

I don't know of any other MMA fighers who can compete in the #1 oragnization in the world at the age of 47.

In fact' date=' he is actually in a class all by himself.

The only other guy I can think of is "The Beast" at age 53, but he does not compete against top tier competition.

When I start seeing other 47 yr olds still in the UFC maybe I'll start to say Randy's accomplishments were overrated[/quote']

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I agree with everything, good post :)

How hard is it to understand that no one will ever be 47 and still competing in the UFC? Fighters begin their careers as teenagers these days... by 47 they would be brain dead. Randy stepped in the cage for the first time at age 34. So he didn't start taking shots to the head until he was 34 years old... not to mention he only had 30 fights over a 14 year span.

Take Joe Stevenson for example. 29 years old, 50 fights into his career and he's done. It's over for him the mileage is catching up.

Age has nothing to do with it.

Archived