What striking combinations should I practice on the heavy bag?

Tiberius

So I'm gonna do a short workout on the heavy bag in about half an hour. Since part of what makes the internet the bomb is how interactive it is so tell me some striking combos you like and I will practice them. The Heavy bag is a large free standing one so all low and high striking techniques can be used etc.

main-thumb-for-free-standin.gif

My favorite strikes are:

1. Right straight,

2. Left hook,

3. Right/left high kick

4. Right Spinning heel kick,

5. Right Jumping back kick

Mixed together in any combination,

a particular favorite is 1,2,4 or 1,2,3 or 2,5,2

A 2,4 helps to disguise the spinning heel as your stance is ready to throw it after the hook but it's hard to do on a stationary target unless you throw the hook in front of the bag.

Edit: change the 123 to a left jab right straight right high kick.

So I'm gonna do a short workout on the heavy bag in about half an hour. Since part of what makes the internet the bomb is how interactive it is tell me some striking combos you like and I will practice them. The Heavy bag is a large free standing one so all low and high striking techniques can be used etc.

Right low kick, left straight.(Awkward but if you can get used to it, it can be a very untelegraphed move.)

right straight, left hook, to right middle kick.(El Guapo right there)

Right hook, left hook, right uppercut. (Risky but definately a clock cleaner.)

some of my preferred ones.

right straight, left hook, to right middle kick.(El Guapo right there)

I bought the El Guapo Big 7 DVD set of fighting from Sherdog about 10 years ago. I still refer to it sometimes. The biggest thing I learned from him is to put some thought into what you are trying to do with your strikes i.e. don't just throw a body shot throw a liver shot etc.

LMFAO at the guy telling you to do spinning heel kicks.

Your contribution is "Just do simple combinations, starting them off with your jab." and you are rubbishing another guy's post? Go clean toilets you trolling ***. I've seen your posts and you are just another worthless trolling ***.

Your contribution is "Just do simple combinations' date=' starting them off with your jab." and you are rubbishing another guy's post? Go clean toilets you trolling ***. I've seen your posts and you are just another worthless trolling ***.[/quote']

LOL, you mad big guy?

Wild overhead right -

Switch kick -

Turkish cresent kick

Fly kick

Mate I regularly throw wild overhands. I set them up first though. Usually like to throw them when I know my victim is going to rush in or try and time it when they throw the leg kick.

lol at the crescent kick. We used to throw inside and outside crescent kicks when we did Zen Do Kai and Muai Thai as teenagers.

Switch kicks for the win!

Some of my favorite combos are:

left jab, right straight, left hook to the body, right straight, left head kick.

left jab, right straight to the body, left hook, right head kick.

left hook to the body, left hook to the head, right knee.

Let me know if you want anymore I do Muay Thai and know many combo's.

are spinning heel kicks really that hard?? jumping back kicks and spinning heel kicks are awesome' date='[b'] I do them all the time[/b].

so when your walking down the street or aisle in a store, without any provocation ...

you might suddenly erupt into a frenzy of jumping back/ spinning heel kicks,

... at what age did this violent behavior make itself known ?

Some of my favorite combos are:

left jab' date=' right straight, left hook to the body, right straight, left head kick.

left jab, right straight to the body, left hook, right head kick.

left hook to the body, left hook to the head, right knee.

Let me know if you want anymore I do Muay Thai and know many combo's.[/quote']

that first one is just asking to get your clock cleaned.

so when your walking down the street or aisle in a store' date=' without any provocation ...

... at what age did this violent behavior make itself known ?[/quote']

I have had a couple fights in supermarkets (what us Aussies call grocery stores) and a fight in a library. True story (and I won them all convincingly lol).

so when your walking down the street or aisle in a store' date=' without any provocation ...

... at what age did this violent behavior make itself known ?[/quote']

yes yes exactly! :rolleyes:

and i yell and scream like a strange mix of bruce lee and a drowning cat!

Here's some simple basic combos to get you started.

H=Head, B=Body L=Leg

Punching

Jab-Cross-Lead Hook (HHH)

Jab-Cross-Lead Hook (HBH)

Jab-Cross-Lead Hook (HBB)

Cross-Jab-Cross (HHH)

Cross-Jab-Cross (BHH)

Cross-Jab-Cross (BHB)

Cross-Lead Hook-Cross (HHH)

Cross-Lead Hook-Cross (HBH)

Cross-Lead Hook-Cross (BHH)

Punch and Kick

Jab-Cross-Lead Roundhouse (HHL)

Jab-Cross-Rear Roundhouse (HHL)

Jab-Cross-Rear Roundhouse (HBH)

Cross-Jab-Rear Roundhouse (HHL)

Cross-Jab-Rear Roundhouse (BHL)

Cross-Jab-Rear Roundhouse (HHB)

Cross-Lead Hook-Rear Roundhouse (HHL)

Cross-Lead Hook-Rear Roundhouse (HHB)

Cross-Lead Hook-Rear Roundhouse (HBH)

If you just starting out do them stationary at first and do them lightly to get your form down and to get a feel for how they flow. Once you get decent at it add an advancing shuffle and or lunging drop step along with sidestepping & pivoting inside or outside.

It's important you imagine what stance the opponent is in.

This is just a general rule but always good to keep in mind. You can circle into power sometimes so you don't become predictable but it's best to do it from a good distance.

If....

Your in an orthadox stance and your opponent is in a orthadox stance you'll want to sidestep and or pivot to your right away from his right side where the power is.

If....

Your in an orthadox stance and your opponent is in a southpaw stance you'll want to sidestep and or pivot to your left away from his left side where the power is.

and so on......

Another tip is it's often good to lead with the rear hand against an opposite stancer because your jabs tend to nullify each other and it's much harder to defend against from an opposite stance.

You can also add fients and broken rhythem to your combinations.

What i mean by broken rhythem is you vary the speed and flow of your strikes.

This is hard to explain on the internet but it deals with beats, halfbeats and even quarter beats.

Lets say a quarter beat is as fast as you can possibly throw it while keeping your balance.

Example : BAM>BAM>BAM with no pause in between each strike.

Lets say a half beat is a slight pause in between a strike.

Example : It's BAM>Milisecond pause>BAM>BAM. This would be a half beat followed by a quarter beat.

Lets say a beat is a pause a little longer than a millisecond.

Example : BAM>BAM>Slightly longer pause>KABOOM:D This would be a quarter beat followed by a full beat.

Using broken rhythem throws off your opponents timing and makes you far less predictable. It's very good for regulating your movements inbetween your opponents movements so you can initiate attacks when they are least prepared.

If you can find the correct cadence you will be ready and your opponent will find it difficult to deal with especially if your fients look no different from the real attacks.

If you need me to try to explain it better just ask.

Cheers

Stomp

^^ winner, I've found that if I decide to change a strike into a feint half way through, then people still try to block or dodge and reset at full speed, then I will just finish the original strike and the slightly delayed strike will land. I can absolutely see how the pause in the middle of combos would work.

So I'm gonna do a short workout on the heavy bag in about half an hour. Since part of what makes the internet the bomb is how interactive it is so tell me some striking combos you like and I will practice them. The Heavy bag is a large free standing one so all low and high striking techniques can be used etc.

One question...

Where's the number 2? 5? 8?

One question...

Where's the number 2? 5? 8?

on the side that you cannot see...2 opposite from 3 5 opposite of 6 8 opposite of 9...

This.

Also, the one I have doesn't have numbers because I don't need them. It was for the audience of this thread's benefit.

Archived