The TRUTH About GSP vs Diaz..

bigroom9

let's do some role playing. so, if i am the owner of the UFC, i see:

- my most marketable fighter (GSP) starting to lose some fans

- i have to keep GSP as champ because he's the best "face" for promoting mma as a "sport" and seems like a good role model for kids

what do i do? should i bring in Nick Diaz, who would represent THE BIGGEST threat to his title? and if Diaz wins, does this help my organization's goal of being a "mainstream sport"? is he a good role model for kids? does he look like a "mainstream sport" type of athlete? i'd say NO to all of these.

so i go OUT OF MY way to bring Diaz from Strikeforce because he threatens to take a boxing fight instead? why would i care if he takes a boxing fight and never returns? Nick Diaz DOES NOT fit the mold of what I, the owner of the UFC, am looking for to make the UFC like the NFL.

should i set this fight up for the fans? why do i give a rat's a$$ about the fans? i mean, as long as they're buying it, i don't care. i could do GSP vs Condit, GSP vs Rumble, GSP vs Marquart and they would ALL sell just as well. if i really cared about the fans, i'd have done the GSP vs Silva fight a long time ago.

now let's take a look at Nick Diaz prior to this fight being announced:

- complained about not making enough $$

- threatened to take a boxing fight

it's no secret that Nick Diaz was looking for a pay day (and rightfully so). problem is, he's not a marketable guy so he won't make as much as a GSP, even though he's WAY more exciting and, in my opinion, a better fighter.

don't be stupid guys. think about it. you think the UFC would go OUT OF THEIR WAY to bring in Nick Diaz and risk losing their marketing machine and have him replaced by the most UN-MARKETABLE guy in mma?

i just hope that Diaz pulls a gypsy move (like from Snatch), and bets on himself and screws the UFC over. that would be SWEET.

Nick Diaz has a history of being an unpredictable hothead who created headaches for the UFC. Nick Diaz has a history perfroming poorly against strong wrestlers. Nick Diaz also has an overhyped record of beating SF cans that provides the illusion that he's a legit contender to face GSP.

Bottom line...Nick Diaz was brought in to lose and he will.

heres somemo truth 4 yah....diaz was not a top 5 fighter be4 the gsp fight was set up and now hes a top 3 guy...yah get out of here ufc....i had fitch..shields..bj.. condit ahead of him and guess what all those guys are in the ufc...why give diaz the shot....n the ufc keeps selling the idea that gsp fights the best guys when number 2 through 5 dont get title shots...where fitchs shot....dont get me worng i want diaz to win but he didnt earn the shot

The truth about Diaz is that it's a fight "the fans"want and an easy way to make buckets of cash' date=' that's why it's happening.[/quote']

i dont wanna sound like im goin off on you cuz im not so....whats fans are these so called ppl...was you asked by joe silva if you wanted to see this fight cuz i know i was not asked....was any1 on this forum asked?...all i wanted was gsp vs. silva like i was promised a long time ago

People have some seriously cracked logic... Dana and Co. would have no qualms marketing Diaz, they arent targeting kids as a market, they are chasing customers able to pay their own way... they arent trying to sell kids parents on the sport because they know the kids are tracking down the events without permission. The Ultimate fighter, primetime shows etc. are all geared into sucking the kids into the game, soapie style selling to garnish the softer fans still knowing that exciting fights sell PPV's.

I doubt the UFC cares if all of its fighters arent PC, I would bet they are actively promoting fighters who arent. They arent selling badminton, this is the fight game, and it is foolish to think that the nemesis isnt as important if not more-so than the castrated white knights in the game. Check the flash reels... Thiago Silva motioning throat slicing, BJ licking blood off his gloves, Palhares flexing sitting on the cage, subs, KO's, the promotion of the game is heavily invested in the darker side of MMA... if you think they were that worried, why dont they have flash pump up promos of Lentz, Fitch and GSP man groping?

People have some seriously cracked logic... Dana and Co. would have no qualms marketing Diaz' date=' they arent targeting kids as a market, they are chasing customers able to pay their own way... they arent trying to sell kids parents on the sport because they know the kids are tracking down the events without permission. The Ultimate fighter, primetime shows etc. are all geared into sucking the kids into the game, soapie style selling to garnish the softer fans still knowing that exciting fights sell PPV's.

I doubt the UFC cares if all of its fighters arent PC, I would bet they are actively promoting fighters who arent. They arent selling badminton, this is the fight game, and it is foolish to think that the nemesis isnt as important if not more-so than the castrated white knights in the game. Check the flash reels... Thiago Silva motioning throat slicing, BJ licking blood off his gloves, Palhares flexing sitting on the cage, subs, KO's, the promotion of the game is heavily invested in the darker side of MMA... if you think they were that worried, why dont they have flash pump up promos of Lentz, Fitch and GSP man groping?[/quote']

you contradicted yourself on the marketing to kids thing.

of course they're targeting kids too. they want to be a "mainstream" sport.

People have some seriously cracked logic... Dana and Co. would have no qualms marketing Diaz' date=' they arent targeting kids as a market, they are chasing customers able to pay their own way... they arent trying to sell kids parents on the sport because they know the kids are tracking down the events without permission. The Ultimate fighter, primetime shows etc. are all geared into sucking the kids into the game, soapie style selling to garnish the softer fans still knowing that exciting fights sell PPV's.

I doubt the UFC cares if all of its fighters arent PC, I would bet they are actively promoting fighters who arent. They arent selling badminton, this is the fight game, and it is foolish to think that the nemesis isnt as important if not more-so than the castrated white knights in the game. Check the flash reels... Thiago Silva motioning throat slicing, BJ licking blood off his gloves, Palhares flexing sitting on the cage, subs, KO's, the promotion of the game is heavily invested in the darker side of MMA... if you think they were that worried, why dont they have flash pump up promos of Lentz, Fitch and GSP man groping?[/quote']

You have no understanding of the time and resources that go into building a brand. You're not intelligent enough for this debate son. In fact you're ridiculously out if your leauge.

Nick Diaz has a history of being an unpredictable hothead who created headaches for the UFC. Nick Diaz has a history perfroming poorly against strong wrestlers. Nick Diaz also has an overhyped record of beating SF cans that provides the illusion that he's a legit contender to face GSP.

what "headaches" did he create?

Diaz was brought in to lose, that part is right. but he's only going to lose because that's what they're going to be paying him to do.

heres somemo truth 4 yah....diaz was not a top 5 fighter be4 the gsp fight was set up and now hes a top 3 guy...yah get out of here ufc....i had fitch..shields..bj.. condit ahead of him and guess what all those guys are in the ufc...why give diaz the shot....n the ufc keeps selling the idea that gsp fights the best guys when number 2 through 5 dont get title shots...where fitchs shot....dont get me worng i want diaz to win but he didnt earn the shot

because it's easier to pay off Diaz cuz he can just go back to strikeforce after. this helps to cement the idea to the fans that the UFC IS the elite and strikeforce is their "minor" league.

because it's easier to pay off Diaz cuz he can just go back to strikeforce after. this helps to cement the idea to the fans that the UFC IS the elite and strikeforce is their "minor" league.

cant argue with ur post cuz ur right im sure thats the idea...i dont down talk sf as the minor league cuz some of those guys are elite but non of them should come in with a stright title shot...look at shields he had to fight kampman what makes diaz better then him?

you contradicted yourself on the marketing to kids thing.

of course they're targeting kids too. they want to be a "mainstream" sport.

Mainstream sport? They arent?

Sports like football, baseball, basketball etc... are leagues for lots of privately owned organisations to compete against one another on TV channels. UFC is a totally different beast, a stand alone entity taking advantage of a PPV market, if I could be bothered I would chase down the interview where Dana talks about it as such.

And contradict myself, I dont think so. They are selling a PPV, not a super edited reality show on cable, even free to air tv in Aus. PPV are purchased by fight fans, cable shows are to suck in the casual soapie fans in efforts to turn them, broaden horizons. You think if PC was the goal, that they would be punching Rampage howling into loads of promos year round, seeing as he said in an interview he wanted to motorboat, spat water when Dana made a comment with possible lewd connotations during the Bones presser? GSP's angelic promotional angle only exists in the huggers minds, possibly if the UFC has to dredge the bottom of angles to sell his fights (probably seeing as the excitement factor is a dud card to play).

it's an "opinion" that GSP is UFC's most marketable fighter?

it's an "opinion" that Nick Diaz isn't a very marketable fighter?

it's an "opinion" that Diaz has been complaining about not making good $$?

Yes, yes, and no.

Brock could be considered the most marketable fighter.

Diaz can be marketed.

That is fact.

Not to mention you said Diaz is the biggest threat to GSP's title. That's definitely an opinion.

You have no understanding of the time and resources that go into building a brand. You're not intelligent enough for this debate son. In fact you're ridiculously out if your leauge.

Mainstream sport? They arent?

Sports like football' date=' baseball, basketball etc... are leagues for lots of privately owned organisations to compete against one another on TV channels. UFC is a totally different beast, a stand alone entity taking advantage of a PPV market, if I could be bothered I would chase down the interview where Dana talks about it as such.

And contradict myself, I dont think so. They are selling a PPV, not a super edited reality show on cable, even free to air tv in Aus. PPV are purchased by fight fans, cable shows are to suck in the casual soapie fans in efforts to turn them, broaden horizons. You think if PC was the goal, that they would be punching Rampage howling into loads of promos year round, seeing as he said in an interview he wanted to motorboat, spat water when Dana made a comment with possible lewd connotations during the Bones presser? GSP's angelic promotional angle only exists in the huggers minds, possibly if the UFC has to dredge the bottom of angles to sell his fights (probably seeing as the excitement factor is a dud card to play).[/quote']

LMAO!! Who's ridiculously out of their league?

They brought diaz because while history makes it clear that he will get owned completely he has what it tales for the ufc to pretend hes legit. They brought him so that gsp can regain popularity by smashing a can that they will pretend is a real threat.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A ACCOUNT BET FOR GSP VS DIAZ

You say Diaz will get owned completely. That the UFC pretends he's legit. The UFC brought him in so that GSP can regain popularity by smashing a can. YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM ACCEPTING THIS BET UNLESS YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN ANY OF THAT STUFF YOU WROTE. YOU DON'T ACCEPT THEN YOU DON'T HAVE FAITH IN GSP AND YOU'RE SCARED, simple as that.

I think the GSP /Diaz fight came together for a few reasons. It isn't just that GSP is running out of opponents...Diaz is too. If would be hard to hype another title defense for him in SF. Diaz beat Daley and that was a legit challenge (Daley was going to challenge for the title if he beat Koscheck). Even though GSP is extremely marketable, I think Nick Diaz is too. Both him and his brother have been headlining cards for a long time and they have a large fan base. For people to say Nick isn't marketable doesn't really make sense because he is already the SF champ and a well known name AND he knows how to hype a fight (ie - easy to market). Its also hard to fault Diaz for fighting cans because he has been finishing his opponents unlike a lot of other people at WW (GSP, Fitch, Shields). One more thing, I was really upset when Dan Hardy got the title shot and other people didn't seem as concerned. Hardy was NOT ready for that fight and showed in his later fights how beatable he is. He did not face top 7 competition in order to get the title shot. Diaz is a much more formidable opponent than Hardy. So if you're going to complain...complain about Hardy getting a shot.

let's do some role playing. so' date=' if i am the owner of the UFC, i see:

- i have to keep GSP as champ because he's the best "face" for promoting mma as a "sport" and seems like a good role model for kids

what do i do? should i bring in Nick Diaz, who would represent THE BIGGEST threat to his title? and if Diaz wins, does this help my organization's goal of being a "mainstream sport"? is he a good role model for kids? does he look like a "mainstream sport" type of athlete? i'd say NO to all of these.

so i go OUT OF MY way to bring Diaz from Strikeforce because he threatens to take a boxing fight instead? why would i care if he takes a boxing fight and never returns? Nick Diaz DOES NOT fit the mold of what I, the owner of the UFC, am looking for to make the UFC like the NFL.

should i set this fight up for the fans? why do i give a rat's a$$ about the fans? i mean, as long as they're buying it, i don't care. i could do GSP vs Condit, GSP vs Rumble, GSP vs Marquart and they would ALL sell just as well. if i really cared about the fans, i'd have done the GSP vs Silva fight a long time ago.

it's no secret that Nick Diaz was looking for a pay day (and rightfully so). problem is, he's not a marketable guy so he won't make as much as a GSP, even though he's WAY more exciting and, in my opinion, a better fighter.

don't be stupid guys. think about it. you think the UFC would go OUT OF THEIR WAY to bring in Nick Diaz and risk losing their marketing machine and have him replaced by the most UN-MARKETABLE guy in mma?

i just hope that Diaz pulls a gypsy move (like from Snatch), and bets on himself and screws the UFC over. that would be SWEET.[/quote']

I really think your over analyzing this. GSP has cleaned out the UFC's Welterweight division. So they just brought in Jake Shields a SF champ and now here comes Nick Diaz another Strikeforce champion.

All the other UFC WW contenders are scheduled for fights and GSP is too much of a wimp to go up to 185 to fight Anderson. So the Diaz fight is the most logical move, and next if Condit can beat Penn and he will be legitmized as #1 contender for Safe Pierre.

They are just trying to keep contenders for GSP at 170 since hes beaten almost everyone and he is too safe to move up to 185.

Cool. Well Fitch's last fight was a draw.. And GSP already dominated him. BJ's been beat twice by GSP, plus BJ and Condit are fighting each other. And Shields just got beat.. So Diaz is a superfight basically, not much else at the moment. Make sense now?

Personally I think you're overthinking it.

All the UFC has to do is put on fights that fans want to see and they'll be popular. The fans want to see GSP fight Diaz more than anyone else in the division. I think thats all there is to it.

just a bit hey? :cool:

This.

/thread.

I think the GSP /Diaz fight came together for a few reasons. It isn't just that GSP is running out of opponents...Diaz is too. If would be hard to hype another title defense for him in SF. Diaz beat Daley and that was a legit challenge (Daley was going to challenge for the title if he beat Koscheck). Even though GSP is extremely marketable, I think Nick Diaz is too. Both him and his brother have been headlining cards for a long time and they have a large fan base. For people to say Nick isn't marketable doesn't really make sense because he is already the SF champ and a well known name AND he knows how to hype a fight (ie - easy to market). Its also hard to fault Diaz for fighting cans because he has been finishing his opponents unlike a lot of other people at WW (GSP, Fitch, Shields). One more thing, I was really upset when Dan Hardy got the title shot and other people didn't seem as concerned. Hardy was NOT ready for that fight and showed in his later fights how beatable he is. He did not face top 7 competition in order to get the title shot. Diaz is a much more formidable opponent than Hardy. So if you're going to complain...complain about Hardy getting a shot.

let's do some role playing. so' date=' if i am the owner of the UFC, i see:

i just hope that Diaz pulls a gypsy move (like from Snatch), and bets on himself and screws the UFC over. that would be SWEET.[/quote']

He wouldn't make it boxing-what a joke!!!

How bout this scenario:

Diaz wins the fight. They immediately schedule a rematch within the next 6 months all the while the hype machine in full tilt. GSP wins the 2nd fight...the rubber match scheduled in the next 6-8 months.....the hype for the trilogy would be ridiculous. All the while the cash register keep ringing.

How bout this scenario:

Diaz wins the fight. They immediately schedule a rematch within the next 6 months all the while the hype machine in full tilt. GSP wins the 2nd fight...the rubber match scheduled in the next 6-8 months.....the hype for the trilogy would be ridiculous. All the while the cash register keep ringing.

so they pay Diaz in the rematch? don't know about that.

i don't think the UFC wants a SF champion to come in and win a belt. it discredits the UFC as dana white has called SF fighters "bush league" for some time now. that doesn't change just because they bought them out.

That pretty much sums it up.

I think the GSP /Diaz fight came together for a few reasons. It isn't just that GSP is running out of opponents...Diaz is too. If would be hard to hype another title defense for him in SF. Diaz beat Daley and that was a legit challenge (Daley was going to challenge for the title if he beat Koscheck). Even though GSP is extremely marketable' date=' I think Nick Diaz is too. Both him and his brother have been headlining cards for a long time and they have a large fan base. For people to say Nick isn't marketable doesn't really make sense because he is already the SF champ and a well known name AND he knows how to hype a fight (ie - easy to market). Its also hard to fault Diaz for fighting cans because he has been finishing his opponents unlike a lot of other people at WW (GSP, Fitch, Shields). One more thing, I was really upset when Dan Hardy got the title shot and other people didn't seem as concerned. Hardy was NOT ready for that fight and showed in his later fights how beatable he is. He did not face top 7 competition in order to get the title shot. Diaz is a much more formidable opponent than Hardy. So if you're going to complain...complain about Hardy getting a shot.[/quote']

Agreed 100%!

Of course they would pay Diaz. At a min all fighters get an amount to show and amount to win not including bonus money for (fight if the night, sub of the night , ko of the night). At the higher levels and if their contract has it included, they would also get a piece of the PPV.

Diaz won't defeat Georges, so the "UFC marketing Diaz if he defeats GSP" debate is inadequate.

In fact, Georges will lay on Diaz for twenty five minutes, defending submissions.

He'll then snort two lines of coke off a hooker's rear (because he's upset he wasn't able to finish Diaz) and practice his Olympic-style training fifteen minutes later while drinking a case of Red Bull.

yawning%20man%20copy.jpg

Diaz won't defeat Georges' date=' so the "UFC marketing Diaz if he defeats GSP" debate is inadequate.

In fact, Georges will lay on Diaz for twenty five minutes, defending submissions.

He'll then snort two lines of coke off a hooker's rear (because he's upset he wasn't able to finish Diaz) and practice his Olympic-style training fifteen minutes later while drinking a case of Red Bull.[/quote']

Diaz has more submission wins than wins by KO. how can you say "Diazz won't defeat Georges"? how the f do you know? he's TRULY the toughest fighter that GSP has (and probably ever will) face.

now, as the UFC, why the hell would you bring in a pot smokin, bird flipping, fighter who complains a lot and doesn't do well in the media?

the REASON is because the UFC NEEDS GSP to finish his next fight against someone who others have seen KNOCK OTHER FIGHTERS OUT.

i'm fairly certain that they paid Shields to keep it standing. don't believe me? go watch the fight again and take a look at those pathetic attempts from Jake to get the fight on the ground.

now it's Nick's turned to get PAID.

(not hating on Diaz or Shields, i'd probably do the same considering how crappy fighters get paid)

I think Diaz stands a good chance of beating GSP. I don't see GSP being able to lay on top of him for 25 minutes stalling. That is what he does now days, he couldn't even finish off a boiled egg. He and Shields should be brothers...because all they want to do is lay on top of each other and play pancake.

Originally Posted by ThePredictor View Post

Agreed 100%!

Thanks

Originally Posted by ThePredictor View Post

I think the GSP /Diaz fight came together for a few reasons. It isn't just that GSP is running out of opponents...Diaz is too. If would be hard to hype another title defense for him in SF. Diaz beat Daley and that was a legit challenge (Daley was going to challenge for the title if he beat Koscheck). Even though GSP is extremely marketable' date=' I think Nick Diaz is too. Both him and his brother have been headlining cards for a long time and they have a large fan base. For people to say Nick isn't marketable doesn't really make sense because he is already the SF champ and a well known name AND he knows how to hype a fight (ie - easy to market). Its also hard to fault Diaz for fighting cans because he has been finishing his opponents unlike a lot of other people at WW (GSP, Fitch, Shields). One more thing, I was really upset when Dan Hardy got the title shot and other people didn't seem as concerned. Hardy was NOT ready for that fight and showed in his later fights how beatable he is. He did not face top 7 competition in order to get the title shot. Diaz is a much more formidable opponent than Hardy. So if you're going to complain...complain about Hardy getting a shot.

Thanks[/quote']

nick is markettable but not in the way the UFC wants to promote itself. The sport is still growing and still has barriers to cross and GSP definitely has the professionnal approach they need to get taken seriously. Diaz doesn't have that he's a bum and if you were the president of a company that tries to gain credibility you wouldn't want him as your champion. Diaz is the champ of a smaller promotion that Zuffa just acquired their main weapon is what goes on in the UFC.

Archived