UFC/MMA Rule Changes

BarbaricBob

There has been a lot of talk about how the rules should be changed so that there are no time limits, no judges, etc. I don't agree with this at all. I think rather then getting rid of judges, they should focus on training/educating them in all aspects of MMA. Also, to anyone who wants to get rid of rules and make it barbaric are nuts. Go youtube some Felony Fights or something. These mixed martial artists have families, and their safety would not be of concern if fighters were allowed to knee/soccer kick a downed opponent. If the rules went back to UFC 1, the UFC and MMA altogether would go down the drain and I would only be able to watch it at 3 a.m. after Jerry Springer re-runs. I do however disagree with a few rules. The knee to a downed opponent: just putting a hand down to prevent knees is ridiculous. I think they should allow knees unless the fighter is on his back/ knee/ or getting up. But if he is standing/ shooting in and puts a hand down, I think knees should be legal. Let me know your ideas, whether you agree or not, etc.

There has been a lot of talk about how the rules should be changed so that there are no time limits' date=' no judges, etc. I don't agree with this at all. I think rather then getting rid of judges, they should focus on training/educating them in all aspects of MMA. Also, to anyone who wants to get rid of rules and make it barbaric are nuts. Go youtube some Felony Fights or something. These mixed martial artists have families, and their safety would not be of concern if fighters were allowed to knee/soccer kick a downed opponent. If the rules went back to UFC 1, the UFC and MMA altogether would go down the drain and I would only be able to watch it at 3 a.m. after Jerry Springer re-runs. I do however disagree with a few rules. The knee to a downed opponent: just putting a hand down to prevent knees is ridiculous. I think they should allow knees unless the fighter is on his back/ knee/ or getting up. But if he is standing/ shooting in and puts a hand down, I think knees should be legal. Let me know your ideas, whether you agree or not, etc.[/quote']

You are wrong in one sense- Kneeing or kicking someone in the head does the same damage whether they are standing or on the ground.

You are wrong in one sense- Kneeing or kicking someone in the head does the same damage whether they are standing or on the ground.

Where in my post did I say anything about the damage being worse? When you are on your back and someone is on top of you (let's say north-south) and they go to knee you in the head, not much you can do to prevent it. Also, if you are standing and someone throws a head kick, you can move or block with your hands. If you are on the ground and someone goes to kick you in the head, even if you get your hands up, they will probably get broken. Also if you are against the cage getting kicked/kneed you can't move. It's about a means of defense more then damage.

Half points scoring and extra round in case of draw would be enough

I agree with an extra round if it's a draw. If they could ask both fighters if they wanted to continue, and they both agreed it'd be great. But the reason that won't work is because Athletic Commissions won't allow a fighter to compete in more then 5 rounds in any one night. That's why you don't see tournaments take place in one night anymore. But a 6th round to Maynard/ Edgar would've ended the discussion and also saved us the disappointment of the 3rd fight being cancelled.

Where in my post did I say anything about the damage being worse? When you are on your back and someone is on top of you (let's say north-south) and they go to knee you in the head' date=' not much you can do to prevent it. Also, if you are standing and someone throws a head kick, you can move or block with your hands. If you are on the ground and someone goes to kick you in the head, even if you get your hands up, they will probably get broken. Also if you are against the cage getting kicked/kneed you can't move. It's about a means of defense more then damage.[/quote']

OK, makes sense to me, but I still think they should be legal. What you described never happened in Pride or the original UFC. They were only banned because of public perception that it was brutal to hit a downed opponent.

OK' date=' makes sense to me, but I still think they should be legal. What you described never happened in Pride or the original UFC. They were only banned because of public perception that it was brutal to hit a downed opponent.[/quote']

We can agree to disagree, but I think all the strikes (standing and GnP) give fighters enough options to do damage w/o seriously injuring each other. (And yes I realize people still get injured, I'm not dumb). There is an amateur MMA organization here in Texas that doesn't allow elbows (standing or on the ground), knees (standing or on the ground), or any sort of strikes to the head of a downed opponent, only the body. So no real GnP at all. Kinda defeats the purpose of having wrestling unless you have serious Jits too.

Archived