Was Jesus a liberal?

Kevbo_Jones

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we've got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it."

~ Stephen Colbert

Never has this been stated more concisely.

I think the real question is' date=' did he even exist?

And if he even existed, was he a conman, or a nut?[/quote']

To the first question, yes he did. There are multiple evidences to suggest that he did.

If he was or not the son of God is left to faith, as is anything in religion.

I think the real question is' date=' did he even exist?

And if he even existed, was he a conman, or a nut?[/quote'] That's mildly stupid.... As said above it's fact he existed and had a massive impact on history and humanity. Was he the son of God? That is your belief, based on your religion or lack there of.

And if you are going to try and intellectually join a sure to be discussion based on historical facts, then you could at least have the decency to not offend one's beliefs with your ignorant comment.

Oh I have no doubt about his impact upon history and humanity. But to blindly believe he was some divine entity based on a book (written by people) and word of mouth without real proof is what is ignorant' date=' not my statements.[/quote'] I was referring to you labeling him either a 'conman' or a 'nut', not your disbelief of his divinity.

And whether to believe or not is one's choice.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor' date=' either we've got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it."

~ Stephen Colbert

Never has this been stated more concisely.[/quote']

If many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality, Brooks, a registered independent, is, as a reviewer of his book said, a social scientist who has been mugged by data. They include these findings:

-- Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

Liberals love to give money away, just not their own money.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor' date=' either we've got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it."

~ Stephen Colbert

Never has this been stated more concisely.[/quote']

The poor get plenty of help. You will never see pictures of children who are just skin and bones and half dead in America. There of millions of "poor" Americans who don't work and still have shelter and food. I consider myself to be liberal, but it's a lie to say America doesn't help the poor.

i see this thread going somewhere

jesus was a skinny little asian girl prove me wrong with facts :D

Well we know Jesus' persona from drawings of him presumably passed down through time. And you can't prove he was a asian girl, contradiction much?

I reckon Muhammad was a crazy terrorist who lead his kind to kill innocent people. Prove me wrong with facts;) And I got loads to prove I'm right.

Well we know Jesus' persona from drawings of him presumably passed down through time. And you can't prove he was a asian girl' date=' contradiction much?

I reckon Muhammad was a crazy terrorist who lead his kind to kill innocent people. Prove me wrong with facts;) And I got loads to prove I'm right.[/quote']

im athiest

how can you prove the first jesus drawing wasnt a caricature of a skinny asian girl

You've bragged about how much you've studied the Bible. Why don't you tell us.

Or are you just trying to smear our Savior' date=' and your fellow countrymen?[/quote']

If you do in fact believe in that stuff, here is my reasoning.

Peacemaking, not War Making: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9] Resist

not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. [Matthew 5:39] I say unto you, Love your

enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute

you; [Matthew 5:44]

The Death Penalty: Thou shalt not kill [Matthew 5:21]

Crime and Punishment: If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her. [John 8:7] Do not judge, lest

you too be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to

you. [Matthew 7:1 & 2.]

Justice: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. [Matthew 5:6] Blessed are the

merciful: for they shall obtain mercy [Matthew 5:7] But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your

trespasses. [Matthew 6:15]

Corporate Greed and the Religion of Wealth: In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and other

sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle;

he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.] Watch out! Be on your guard against

all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.] Truly, I say unto you, it will

be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. [Matthew 19:23] You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

Paying Taxes & Separation of Church & State: Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the

things that are God's. [Matthew 22:21]

Community: Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39] So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.

[Matthew 7:12.] If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.

[Matthew 19:21]

Equality & Social Programs: But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed,

because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. [Luke 14:13 &14.]

Public Prayer & Displays of Faith: And when thou pray, thou shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in

the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou pray, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret…

[Matthew 6:6 & 7]

Strict Enforcement of Religious Laws: If any of you has a son or a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take

hold of it and lift it out? [Matthew 12:11] The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. [Mark 2:27.]

Individuality & Personal Spiritual Experience: Ye are the light of the world. [Matthew 5:14]

This is all for conversation of course. This is more smearing the very large group claiming to be "neocon chrisitans" or "conservative christians."

If you do in fact believe in that stuff' date=' here is my reasoning.

Peacemaking, not War Making: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9'] Resist

not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. [Matthew 5:39] I say unto you, Love your

enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute

Crime and Punishment: If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her. [John 8:7] Do not judge, lest

you too be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to

Justice: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. [Matthew 5:6] Blessed are the

merciful: for they shall obtain mercy [Matthew 5:7] But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your

Corporate Greed and the Religion of Wealth: In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle, sheep and doves and other

sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle;

he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.] Watch out! Be on your guard against

all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.] Truly, I say unto you, it will

be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. [Matthew 19:23] You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

Paying Taxes & Separation of Church & State: Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the

Community: Love your neighbor as yourself. .[Matthew 22:39] So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.

[Matthew 7:12.] If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.

Equality & Social Programs: But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed,

because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just. [Luke 14:13 &14.]

Public Prayer & Displays of Faith: And when thou pray, thou shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in

the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou pray, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret?

Strict Enforcement of Religious Laws: If any of you has a son or a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take

hold of it and lift it out? [Matthew 12:11] The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. [Mark 2:27.]

Individuality & Personal Spiritual Experience: Ye are the light of the world. [Matthew 5:14]

This is all for conversation of course. This is more smearing the very large group claiming to be "neocon chrisitans" or "conservative christians."

Religion and Politics don't mix

Jesus agreed apparently.

Peacemaking, not War Making: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9']

Your reasoning? You copy and pasted this garbage, like most brainless, ignorant, lefty morons do on the web.

Your reasoning? You copy and pasted this garbage' date=' like most brainless, ignorant, lefty morons do on the web.[/quote']

I suppose your such a special little snow flake that every idea that comes into your head is original and has never been conceived by man. Get over yourself. It's for conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Peacemaking, not War Making: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. [Matthew 5:9'] Resist

he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.]

You contextualize this as though Jesus was against regular commerce. The backstory was that the priests were running a scam by rejecting the perfectly good animals that the out-of-towners had brought to sacrifice, and selling them their own that were significantly marked up.

Watch out! Be on your guard against

[Matthew 7:12.]

If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.

This was a spoken to a specific individual whose love of materialism was hindering him. It was not a general commandment.

But thou, when thou pray, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret…

None of what you cited here is Jesus sanctioning government entitlement programs. This is also the same Jesus that said: "Sell your coat, and buy a sword." [Luke 22:36]

And it is well documented that "Christian Conservatives" are the most generous Americans when it comes to charitable giving.

So what's your point?

dear "super-american" kevbo, whatever jesus said was at a much different time, when the world didnt have 6 billion people and when people lived in villages that for the most part sustained themselves. even the "cities" were not big so caring for the poor was simpler. now with 6 billion people u just cant help the poor cuz everyone is fighting to help themselves because the world is not made to hold this any people

Archived