Diego Sanchez

BillBurgess

Diego has also been one of my favorites. I've been his fan since his win in the TUF.

But sadly, he has no hype trains, few threads, and only lukewarm praise on these boards. And that is bewildering, considering how many critcs GSP/Fitch have due to their fighting styles.

Diego has an exciting style, he's aggressive, has no quit in him, and has a mental tenacity that should go over big here. But it doesn't for some unexplained, inexplicable reason.

But I know he will never be a title holder. He is not big enough a WW to ever beat GSP, Fitch, Shields, Penn or Hughes. And except for Penn, they have too much size, strength and wrestling on him.

When he fights Hughes, I predict he will come out like boxing's Smokin' Joe Frazier from Philly. Guns blazing and smokin', like he did with Clay Guida.

His only chance is if he can somehow knock Matt down and stand over him and ground and pound him out. But I don't think he can. At some point, Hughes will get back up and at the first opportunity, shoot on him and hold him down.

Hughes, as well as GSP, Fitch and Shields are just too big and strong and have too good wrestling for Diego to push them off, once they are on top of him.

If Diego knocks Hughes down, he will not have the option of jumping on him, chest to chest, because if he does, Hughes will out-wrestle him and sweep him right away.

GSP, Fitch, Penn, Shields and Hughes have vastly superior ground skills than Diego, and hence he has no possible chance to ever win the Title at WW.

He could drop back to LW and beat Frankie Edgar. But even if he did that, he would lose the Title as soon as he fought Gray Maynard.

In fact, GSP, Fitch, Alves and Shields could all move to MW and find good success there.

But Penn and Nick Diaz would be too light to transition to MW and find success.

I think the Penn vs. Sanchez fight really messed up Sanchez bad mentally and physically. He just looks horrible as a welterweight. Officially, he lost only one out of his past three fights since returning to welterweight, but he should have lost the Kampmann fight. It was just poor judging (AGAIN). He's not going to be anywhere more then a gatekeeper. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he's never going to contend for the title (as you mentioned, as well).

Dirty sanchez did have a hype train after winning ultimate fighter, but that was quickly derailed by his losses, then he dropped to 155, and the hype train was fully loaded again...but once again, that train never went anywhere. neither will he. He will never hold a title, perhaps a step up from a gate keeper, but never gonna be "great". I dont think he is all there upstairs either if you know what i mean...lol

His style is exciting, if he's winning. He seems to have no clue what to do when things don't go his way like against Kos, Fitch, or Penn. I like watching him fight, even tho he's prolly the biggest tool in all of MMA.

Diego was leaner at 185lbs than he is at 170lbs now , he's gotten out of shape and lost a bit of muscle and strength.

I think he needs to reevaluate his career after he faces Hughes , I have Diego winning this fight.

I think he should drop down to 155 again , I have a hard time seeing most guys beating him , I think he'd get through Guillard , Guida , Maynard , Pettis and so on, Frankie and Melendez are tossups for me though.

He isn't touching the gold at 170lbs though , and he's become fat.

I probably sadly agree with most of the posts here. But I disagree that he is unhinged mentally. I just think he's open to whatever gives him a psychological edge.

I do feel the Penn loss unsettled him emotionally. I think he fought Penn all wrong. He kept trying to take him down even after it became apparent to all that that wasn't going to happen.

He should have fought BJ like Frankie Edgar did. Hit and run guerilla warfare. But his game-plan was fatally flawed. And the high kick to the head made him a bloody mess.

But all this really, really bothers me. I would hate to see him drop back down to LW, but I agree that is the only place where he has a chance at reaching the top.

I think he can beat Edgar, but his chances against great wrestler Maynard are no more than 50-50, for me. His biggest weakness is being on the bottom of a ground war. Grinders would have the best chances of beating him. And I find that troubling and disturbing.

He needs to work on his submission game, very badly. And improve his good wrestling.

I think he needs to reevaluate his career after he faces Hughes ' date=' I have Diego winning this fight.[/quote']

Thank you so very much for saying this. But I am afraid to hope that much. I have Hughes taking him down and grinding out a UD. Or possibly GNPing him out. If Diego finds a way to beat Hughes, that wild animal noise you would hear is me giving my Victory Scream. And the loud bang will be the sound of my champagne cork popping.

I think he should drop down to 155 again , I have a hard time seeing most guys beating him , I think he'd get through Guillard, Guida, Maynard, Pettis and so on. Frankie and Melendez are tossups for me though.

I would hate for him to go back to LW, but that is the only way he will sniff gold. He beat Guida already, and Maynard would be a real challenge for him due to his fantastic wrestling

No, Martin didn't own Diego. Martin did fight well and gave an excellent accounting of himself, and the fight was close.

It certainly could have gone to Martin. But to say that it was a decisive win for either fighter is an injustice to both. Both were warriors and neither one backed down, backed off or gave an inch.

And the judges, for once, didn't let the sight of blood over-influence their decision. When GSP fought BJ for the first time, BJ opened up a cut on him and Georges looked real bad.

But since when do we give the win to who looked the worse? Is that the way to judge? I don't think so.

Diego will never be WW champ because of GSP, Fitch, Penn, Hughes and Shields.

I think he can beat all the others, but I concede it would be wars with Condit, MacDonald, Kampmann, and probably some others.

I will never concede that Kos is a better fighter than Diego. Never. Not until I see it with my own eyes.

In their fight, was Diego at full strength? I have heard reports that he had staf infection. Does anyone have good information on that situation? I've wondered ever since.

But I know he will never be a title holder. He is not big enough a WW to ever beat GSP' date=' Fitch, Shields, Penn or Hughes. They have too much size, strength and wrestling on him.[/b']

He will not be champion in WW I agree..But not because of his size.. I don't get where you come off saying that. Penn is around the same size as Diego, he took Fitch down a few times and went to a draw with him..

I think the Penn vs. Sanchez fight really messed up Sanchez bad mentally and physically. He just looks horrible as a welterweight. Officially' date=' he lost only one out of his past three fights since returning to welterweight, but he should have lost the Kampmann fight. It was just poor judging (AGAIN). He's not going to be anywhere more then a gatekeeper. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he's never going to contend for the title (as you mentioned, as well).[/quote']

WIn ^^

I am hoping that he will be title bound one day, but I think he is in the wrong division for that. Diego showed serious heart in that Kampmann fight. I have rarely seen someone take a beating like that and still keep coming after the guy. Hes very well rounded, so I think we will see him be a top ten guy in the WW division. However, I don't think he will be a top five guy.

I am hoping that he will be title bound one day' date=' but I think he is in the wrong division for that. Diego showed serious heart in that Kampmann fight. I have rarely seen someone take a beating like that and still keep coming after the guy. Hes very well rounded, so I think we will see him be a top ten guy in the WW division. However, I don't think he will be a top five guy.[/quote']

I rank him Top 10 now.

1. GSP

2. Fitch

3. Penn

4. Shields

5. Hughes

6. Sanchez

7. Diaz

8. Condit

9. Koscheck

10. Kampmann

11. MacDonald

With respect to that beatdown that Diego took from BJ Penn.

That fight made it appear that BJ was just so much better than he. But I disagree with that. It is my humble belief that Diego could have won that fight if he had gone in with a completely different gameplan.

Many less-powerful men have beaten more-powerful ones with speed, technique and heart. That is how Frankie Edgar beat BJ. When I heard that result, and later watched it, I was shocked, and disappointed. BJ should have beaten Edgar.

Here are examples of other men who have used Edgar's gameplan to beat more powerful fighters. These are from Boxing. Dempsey/Tunney (twice, 1926/1927), Sugar Ray Leonard/Marvin Hagler (1987), Ali against Liston (twice, 1964/1965), Joe Frazier (twice, 1974/1975), and George Foreman (1974).

These are classic examples of a faster, more mobile man out-manuvering a dangerous puncher. It's called hit & run, stick and jab guerilla warfare. You circle, move to to side away from his power punch, go in and flurry and then slip out of range.

Normally, Greg Jackson coaches his fighters with smarter gameplans, but Diego went in with the wrong game-plan. Sanchez must have felt foolish when he saw Edgar successfully pull off the right game-plan! Speed can trump power if used with the right tactics.

Diego is more a fighter than Edgar ever will be, and has as much heart and tenacity. But his strategy/tactics against Penn made him look like a punk. But his heart never failed, only his game-plan.

And Penn, for his part, used all the wrong strategy against Edgar. Penn should have shot in and taken Frankie down and used his superior submission game on him. On his feet, he looked ineffective and slow. He looked old and tired. Maybe he gassed out.

Diego has also been one of my favorites. I've been his fan since his win in the TUF.

But sadly' date=' he has no hype trains, few threads, and only lukewarm praise on these boards. And that is bewildering, considering how many critcs GSP/Fitch have due to their fighting styles.

Diego has an exciting style, he's aggressive, has no quit in him, and has a mental tenacity that should go over big here. But it doesn't for some unexplained, inexplicable reason.

But I know he will never be a title holder. [u'] He is not big enough a WW to ever beat GSP, Fitch, Shields, Penn or Hughes. They have too much size, strength and wrestling on him.[/u]

When he fights Hughes, I predict he will come out like boxing's Smokin' Joe Frazier from Philly. Guns blazing and smokin', like he did with Clay Guida.

His only chance is if he can somehow knock Matt down and stand over him and ground and pound him out. But I don't think he can. At some point, Hughes will get back up and at the first opportunity, shoot on him and hold him down.

Hughes, as well as GSP, Fitch and Shields are just too big and strong and have too good wrestling for Diego to push them off, once they are on top of him.

If Diego knocks Hughes down, he will not have the option of jumping on him, chest to chest, because if he does, Hughes will out-wrestle him and sweep him right away.

GSP, Fitch, Penn, Shields and Hughes have vastly superior ground skills than Diego, and hence he has no possible chance to ever win the Title at WW.

He could drop back to LW and beat Frankie Edgar. But even if he did that, he would lose the Title as soon as he fought Gray Maynard.

In fact, GSP, Fitch, Alves and Shields could all move to MW and find good success there.

But Penn and Nick Diaz would be too light to transition to MW and find success.

Penn had none of the above- he was just on a different galaxy when it comes to fighting.

Hughes is gonna lose this fight. The guy hasn't done much in years and is way past his prime. I haven't seen Hughes do much with his so called "superior wrestling" in years. It will be a stand up battle and Sanchez wins with pure heart.

before the Penn fight Hughes was on a charge....

This will not be a stand up battle, Hughes to win on points.

Penn had none of the above- he was just on a different galaxy when it comes to fighting.

I respectfully disagree. Sanchez used the wrong game-plan with Penn. Edgar found the right one.

Why couldn't Sanchez steal a page from Edgar's game-book and use it successfully against BJ?

If Penn were to change his game-plan and had fought Edgar more intelligently, I think he could and would have won. But in order for BJ to fight him as I outlined above, he will have to arrive ready to go, with a full gas tank, and that requires him to train with a new, and different degree of motivation and commitment than we've seen from him in a while.

Yes, BJ is capable of beating both Edgar and Sanchez, even if they use the hit & run, stick and jab, but he will need to show everyone how much he still wants to be the best ever. Like he kept telling the world. And I just don't know if he has that much commitment in him.

before the Penn fight Hughes was on a charge....

This will not be a stand up battle' date=' Hughes to win on points.[/quote']

I agree Hughes was on a charge but I was only impressed with his Almeida win...the Renzo win shouldn't even count cause that guy is terrible. BJ did derail him with one punch to the chin. I guess I just feel like Sanchez has a pretty good wrestling base too. I mean he was known for wrestling and GNP back in the day. Hughes isn't going to be able to take him down and lay on top of him for points. I just see this one staying on the feet and Hughes getting stopped with strikes. I think Hughes' standup is pretty average.

I respectfully disagree. Sanchez used the wrong game-plan with Penn. Edgar found the right one.

Why couldn't Sanchez steal a page from Edgar's game-book and use it successfully against BJ?

If Penn were to change his game-plan and had fought Edgar more intelligently' date=' I think he could and would have won. But in order for BJ to fight him as I outlined above, he will have to arrive ready to go, with a full gas tank, and that requires him to train with a new, and different degree of motivation and commitment than we've seen from him a a while.

Yes, BJ is capable of beating both Edgar and Sanchez, even if they use the hit & run, stick and jab, but he will need to show everyone how much he stills wants to be the best ever. Like he kept telling the world. And I just don't know if he has that much commitment in him.[/quote']

You're right.... Although sanchez doesn't have the size (lack of it) or the speed to be as ellusive as frankie..... For Penn to beat frankie it would have to be boring and I don't think BJ has the commitment to fight like that- he just wants to fight.If/When Maynard beats Frankie BJ will be champ again.

I agree Hughes was on a charge but I was only impressed with his Almeida win...the Renzo win shouldn't even count cause that guy is terrible. BJ did derail him with one punch to the chin. I guess I just feel like Sanchez has a pretty good wrestling base too. I mean he was known for wrestling and GNP back in the day. Hughes isn't going to be able to take him down and lay on top of him for points. I just see this one staying on the feet and Hughes getting stopped with strikes. I think Hughes' standup is pretty average.

don't forget that when Sanchez was known for his wrestling and GnP he lost to two wrestlers that don't have the pedigree of Hughes.....

It will be an interesting fight.

I think Hughes is going to beat Diego. He has too much size, strength and wrestling. He will shoot in on him, take him down, and will be too big and strong to push off.

If Matt decides to try to stand and bang with Diego, I think he will come up short on the striking end of it. Matt's striking has never been one of his best tools. If Diego starts to get the better of the striking game, I strongly feel that Matt will reach automatically for his 'security blanket' of shooting for the takedown.

Diego is a good wrestler, but Matt is a better one. There are degrees of excellence in each component of MMA, and wrestling is Matt's strongest area.

If Matt goes in for the takedown, Diego should try to fight him as Frankie Edgar fought BJ Penn. He should avoid the clinches which will lead to the ground. He should circle, stick and jab, bob and weave, hit and run. Stay out of reach and use his legkicks to back Hughes off. Force him out of range with both low and high kicks. Make his kicks like long-range artillery fire.

Yes, Diego can beat Hughes but in order for him to pull it off, he will have to execute a perfect game-plan and have the emotional composure in the heat of battle to stick to the game-plan.

The natural instinct when someone punches you in the face is to punch back, but Sanchez will have to find the discipline to stay out of range of the clinch and takedown attempt. If he can do that, he has a chance. My gut tells me he won't be able to do it. Sadly.

I rank him Top 10 now.

1. GSP

2. Fitch

3. Penn

4. Shields

5. Hughes

6. Sanchez

7. Diaz

8. Condit

9. Koscheck

10. Kampmann

11. MacDonald

Looks like a good list. I would rank Diaz higher due to his winning streak and being the former Strike Force champion. I also think Condit is a top five fighter.

With respect to that beatdown that Diego took from BJ Penn.

That fight made it appear that BJ was just so much better than he. But I disagree with that. It is my humble belief that Diego could have won that fight if he had gone in with a completely different gameplan.

Many less-powerful men have beaten more-powerful ones with speed' date=' technique and heart. That is how Frankie Edgar beat BJ. When I heard that result, and later watched it, I was shocked, and disappointed. BJ should have beaten Edgar.

Here are examples of other men who have used Edgar's gameplan to beat more powerful fighters. These are from Boxing. Dempsey/Tunney (twice, 1926/1927), Sugar Ray Leonard/Marvin Hagler (1987), Ali against Liston (twice, 1964/1965), Joe Frazier (twice, 1974/1975), and George Foreman (1974).

These are classic examples of a faster, more mobile man out-manuvering a dangerous puncher. [b']It's called hit & run, stick and jab guerilla warfare[/b]. You circle, move to to side away from his power punch, go in and flurry and then slip out of range.

Normally, Greg Jackson coaches his fighters with smarter gameplans, but Diego went in with the wrong game-plan. Sanchez must have felt foolish when he saw Edgar successfully pull off the right game-plan! Speed can trump power if used with the right tactics.

Diego is more a fighter than Edgar ever will be, and has as much heart and tenacity. But his strategy/tactics against Penn made him look like a punk. But his heart never failed, only his game-plan.

And Penn, for his part, used all the wrong strategy against Edgar. Penn should have shot in and taken Frankie down and used his superior submission game on him. On his feet, he looked ineffective and slow. He looked old and tired. Maybe he gassed out.

Actually it's called "Dancing With The Stars"

Looks like a good list. I would rank Diaz higher due to his winning streak and being the former Strike Force champion. I also think Condit is a top five fighter.

I must respectfully disagree.

If Nick had stayed in the UFC, he would have had a record similar to Diego. He would have had some losses. If Sanchez had went to Strikeforce, he, instead of Diaz would have looked like a superstar with the win streak. Fighting inferior class of competition will do that.

Condit a top 5? He soon will be if he can find a way to get past BJ. That one should be such an intriguing war. I just hope that BJ can find another gear in his motivation to train. If BJ arrives with a full gas tank and finds smart, he will be extremely hard to get past.

Can't wait for that one! Always good chatting!

I must respectfully disagree.

If Nick had stayed in the UFC' date=' he would have had a record similar to Diego. He would have had some losses. If Sanchez had went to Strikeforce, he, instead of Diaz would have looked like a superstar with the win streak. Fighting inferior class of competition will do that.

Condit a top 5? He soon will be if he can find a way to get past BJ. That one should be such an intriguing war. I just hope that BJ can find another gear in his motivation to train. If BJ arrives with a full gas tank and finds smart, he will be extremely hard to get past.

Can't wait for that one! Always good chatting![/quote']

That fight is going to be awesome. I am actually looking forward to that fight more than the GSP vs. Diaz fight.

Ha ha ha! Great one' date=' there. Love some humor to lubricate this thread.

But you have to admit. It often works. Speed and footwork will often succeed where brute power fails.[/quote']

Oh it works great in the eyes of the judges, I still can't stand it though

That fight is going to be awesome. I am actually looking forward to that fight more than the GSP vs. Diaz fight.

Ha ha! You Got that right! I will savor both fights and hope they go the distance.

Choosing between them would be like choosing between Filet Mignon/Prime Rib and and a lobster/shrimp/scallop/crab feast.

I want both!

Other fights I would savor. Diaz/Condit, Sanchez/Condit, Sanchez/Diaz rematch, MacDonald/Hathaway.

Any of them would make my mouth slobber and drool. I am addicted to MMA. Completely compulsive addict. Woe is me.

Ha ha! You Got that right! I will savor both fights and hope they go the distance.

Choosing between them would be like choosing between Filet Mignon/Prime Rib and and a lobster/shrimp/scallop/crab feast.

I want both!

Other fights I would savor. Diaz/Condit' date=' Sanchez/Condit, Sanchez/Diaz rematch, MacDonald/Hathaway.

Any of them would make my mouth slobber and drool. I am addicted to MMA. Completely compulsive addict. Woe is me.[/quote']

Those are some great matchups. I would especially love to see Diaz vs. Sanchez 2. That would be a war.

Those are some great matchups. I would especially love to see Diaz vs. Sanchez 2. That would be a war.

The Diaz/Sanchez 1 was when I first discovered Nick Diaz. Before the fight, he was complaining that Diego Sanchez really hadn't earned the right to fight as good a fighter as he was.

He was saying he had fought the better fighers and that Diego was undeserving of jumping to the head of the line.

That fight was just mad. The scrambles never stopped, as both Young Turks fought tooth and nail to the bitter end. It easily could have gone either way. Neither backed off an inch.

The rematch would promise to be another war. Neither fighter knows what it means to back off or give an inch. They both keep coming. Rematch would be epic. Instant classic. As would Condit/Diaz.

I think he looked horrible at LW. His stamina was completely hindered, as he was depleting his body too much (This guy isn't all that short, atleast not for a LW). When he got off of UF he looked amazing, and no one could stop his takedowns. Heck he took Koscheck down on the show, and his stand up, while not classy, was adequate. Diego has heart in the ring, but he just doesn't seem to commit to training like he use to. There's a night and day difference between the Diego of old, and the new one. I think he's had too many trips to the bar.

This is an old pic of him in his hayday.

Sanchez is a true WW. He showed his biggest talent at WW for sure. Penn was more talented at WW as well. But I am comfortable saying that I would vote for Sanchez at a WW matchup with Penn. Sanchez wasn't himself at 155' date=' neither was Penn but I would love to see them bang at WW.[/quote']

I feel that Diego might well have a chance to beat BJ, but only if he rigidly adhered to a perfect game-plan.

If he fought BJ like Frankie Edgar did, he would have a shot. Hit and run, stick and jab, bob and weave guerilla warfare. But if he tried to stand and bang, I fear the result would be similar to last time they scrapped.

Frankie Edgar showed the world how to beat BJ, just as Chael Sonnen taught the world how to beat Anderson Silva. But in order to do it, you need to be as talented as they.

Archived