Sonnen's take on GSP's fighting style

dfwGSP

IMO it isn't going to a decision which is the problem, it is the fact that he doesn't leave his comfort zone, that is his gameplan, to actively seek the stoppage. He fights conservatively IMO.

Lots of other champions find a way to reserve energy, aswell as look for the finish.

IMO it isn't going to a decision which is the problem' date=' it is the fact that he doesn't leave his comfort zone, that is his gameplan, to actively seek the stoppage. He fights conservatively IMO.

Lots of other champions find a way to reserve energy, aswell as look for the finish.[/quote']

How do you know he's not looking for the finish? Every fighter on the planet wants to finish opponents.

How do you know he's not looking for the finish? Every fighter on the planet wants to finish opponents.

How do you know he is looking for one? That can be asked both ways.

I'll use the Sheilds fight as an example of GSP not straying from the gameplan/not taking any more risks to finish.

Against Sheilds, the gameplan was pretty obvious. Rinse and repeat, jab for distance, overhand right when available as Hendo nearly knocked Sheilds'head off with it and with kicks to keep distance and Jake thinking.

After 3 rounds of his gameplan, he wasn't very close to finishing at all, but he carried on doing the exact same thing, until midway through the 4th he lands a great headkick which drops Sheilds. But he doesn't react like he wanted to finish him, he stalled for a few seconds not wanting to go near his guard, which gave Sheilds time to recover. Most fighters would of jumped on an injured fighter, but GSP just looked at him.

His style is very effective, obviously, but i just don't find him that exciting as after the first round, the next 4 are basically the same.

After 3 rounds of his gameplan' date=' he wasn't very close to finishing at all, but he carried on doing the exact same thing, until midway through the 4th he lands a great headkick which drops Sheilds. But he doesn't react like he wanted to finish him, he stalled for a few seconds not wanting to go near his guard, which gave Sheilds time to recover. Most fighters would of jumped on an injured fighter, but GSP just looked at him.

[/quote']

Terrible example. Knowing Shield's strength is grappling would you be so quick to just hop on top of him? I don't think so.

Terrible example. Knowing Shield's strength is grappling would you be so quick to just hop on top of him? I don't think so.

His bottom game isn't nearly as dangerous as his top game though but to be fair I don't think Shields was too hurt by it and i don't think it was really a missed oppourtunity.

It could have been a Fedor moment if he got too carless.

I think he would have done better in that fight if he would have taken Shields down more.

What he absolutely didn't want to happen is Shields taking him down.

LOL' date=' it is an example of GSP not trying to capitalise on an opportunity to finish. It is a perfect example. It shows that he isn't willing to take a risk for the stoppage.

Sheilds isn't known for his guard, he is a top control fighter who isn't a great finisher. GSP gave Sheilds way too much respect or took exactly what the UFC hype machine said to be real. Sheilds doesn't have the kind of grappling that puts you in constant danger, especially from his back.

I don't, but I never said he was. I used a generalization that every fighter wants to finish opponents, we can safely (get it?) assume its true.

I get it :D. GSP obviously wants to finish, but he doesn't go out of his way. He outclasses his opponents but doesn't seem to be able to capitalise and put them away

saying his fights are boring because he fights for 25 minutes is a ******** excuse. anderson silva finishes his opponents on a regular basis, and hes been fighting championship fights since 2006.

its not gsps athleticism thats in question here, its his will to finish.

How do you know he is looking for one? That can be asked both ways.

I'll use the Sheilds fight as an example of GSP not straying from the gameplan/not taking any more risks to finish.

Against Sheilds' date=' the gameplan was pretty obvious. Rinse and repeat, jab for distance, overhand right when available as Hendo nearly knocked Sheilds'head off with it and with kicks to keep distance and Jake thinking.

After 3 rounds of his gameplan, he wasn't very close to finishing at all, but he carried on doing the exact same thing, until midway through the 4th he lands a great headkick which drops Sheilds. But he doesn't react like he wanted to finish him, he stalled for a few seconds not wanting to go near his guard, which gave Sheilds time to recover. Most fighters would of jumped on an injured fighter, but GSP just looked at him.

His style is very effective, obviously, but i just don't find him that exciting as after the first round, the next 4 are basically the same.[/quote']

You happen to see the Fedor vs Werdum fight? That might have something to do with why he didn't want to jump in Shields guard.

how surprising.

Sonnen gassed and lost a 25 min fight so now 25 min is too long! of course it's too long! Chael Sonnen can't deal with it! come on people!

Somehow when GSP doesn't get injured he can push the pace non-stop without slowing down for the whole 25 minuts and it looks just fine for him. Actually except in his fight against Shields, in which he got obviously bothered by an eye injury, he seemed to me like he would've wished for the fight to last even longer in most of his title defenses..

Except GSP, which is the problem with him. He's comfortable being a point fighter and getting just enough for the victory when he can do so much more.

This is BJ Penn's weakness also. See his fights at welterweight. He knows he has to go 100% in order to overcome the size disadvantage, and when he does this he only lasts for two rounds.

His 100% is enough to beat hughes twice, as well as make GSP and Fitch struggle, (two of the strongest wrestlers at WW) however these guys know Penn will gas, so they fight conservatively at say 90% the whole fight.

This way we can see Penn at 100% is equal to GSP or Fitch @ 90%, and after Penn starts to fade, that 90% is too much for Penn to deal with.

You happen to see the Fedor vs Werdum fight? That might have something to do with why he didn't want to jump in Shields guard.

Except the difference was that Werdum was a world BJJ champion.

@OP & @ Sonnen

Then how come Anderson Silva can finish fights..?

He brings up a point no one's brought up yet. Many of you won't agree' date=' but it's worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VML0vBKqU4g[/quote']

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The UFC is desperately trying to explain and rationalize why fans should not hate GSP.

Funniest part of this "news report" (other than the fact that Zuffa owns the channel) is the part where the "news reporter" immediately states "I have to agree with Sonnen" as soon as the clip ends.

Wow, even the marketing attempts to promote GSP are transparent, boring, and pathetic - just like GSP.

I think Chael is wrong again.

There are several divisions in which there are champions that are capable of finishing their opponents.

Cain Velasquez was able to finish, Brock was able to finish, Jones was able to finish, Shogun was able to finish, GSP isn't able to finish, but Matt Hughes and Matt Serra were, B.J. was able to finish, but Edgar wasn't...

The list goes on, there simply are some fighters that are grind-fighters, that grind fights rather than commit. Committing requires the fighter to take a risk, and GSP is not a gambling man. He sets up a strategy and follows it to the end. And his track record in winning fights and rounds stand for themselves.

But unfortunately THAT will be his "legazee", the safe sportsman in a fighting game. He used to be able to finish, but then something happened... after his Serra-fight he became afraid of losing rather than loving winning.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The UFC is desperately trying to explain and rationalize why fans should not hate GSP.

Funniest part of this "news report" (other than the fact that Zuffa owns the channel) is the part where the "news reporter" immediately states "I have to agree with Sonnen" as soon as the clip ends.

Wow' date=' even the marketing attempts to promote GSP are transparent, boring, and pathetic - just like GSP.[/quote']

^This^

IMO it isn't going to a decision which is the problem' date=' it is the fact that he doesn't leave his comfort zone, that is his gameplan, to actively seek the stoppage. He fights conservatively IMO.

Lots of other champions find a way to reserve energy, aswell as look for the finish.[/quote']

I'm with this dude. GSP fears going all gun *** to finish his opponent due to the fear of losing and tarnishing his legacy.

Archived