After watching the Countdown I actually think Okami has

ThePredictor

You were just UFC'd

Marketing team - Job well done.

I know the Countdown show is really supposed to sell the fight. But in all honesty.. if you were going into a fight with A Silva... what would you want your best attribute to be if you knew you were out classed in the striking?

Pressure/wrestling. <---- Okami's strengths.

I know the Countdown show is really supposed to sell the fight. But in all honesty.. if you were going into a fight with A Silva... what would you want your best attribute to be if you knew you were out classed in the striking?

Pressure/wrestling. <---- Okami's strengths.

I agree, stylistically Okami is a bad match-up for Anderson.

But I think Anderson will be too good, Okami is most likely going to just try and survive and win a D.

Don't think he can do it though, wouldn't be completely surprised if he did though.

I agree' date=' stylistically Okami is a bad match-up for Anderson.

But I think Anderson will be too good, Okami is most likely going to just try and survive and win a D.

Don't think he can do it though, wouldn't be completely surprised if he did though.[/quote']

for sure... thamks for the honest answer

Didn't his tests come back as abnormally high? So he had an unfair advantage whether he knew it or not..

he was like 1 point higher than normal. IDK don't take anyones word for it look for a qoute from the CSAC on what his levels were. I know Chael said he was 1 point above normal levels but he isn't the guy that performed the test.

Didn't his tests come back as abnormally high? So he had an unfair advantage whether he knew it or not..

They were a little higher... not much. Not enough for people to go on and on about it like he was taking Roids...

Seems to me like Chael would have been able to out wrestle Silva regardless.. you know?

You mean were Sonnen got his face busted and Silva's face looked untouched.

That actually has a lot more to do with fighter history. Silva's face was bruised, but it's not as visible due to the shade of his melanin. Sonnen's was cut and bloodied because he has fought in a lot more fights that allowed elbows and has been cut a LOT more than Anderson. That scar tissue tears and bleeds much easier.

Anderson never had that kind of problem. Pride and other Japanese organizations he worked his way up in did not allow elbows. When he came to the UFC he has rarely ever been put on his back where elbows are thrown the most. I wonder how many times Anderson has bled in a fight, come to think of it.

That actually has a lot more to do with fighter history. Silva's face was bruised' date=' but it's not as visible due to the shade of his melanin. Sonnen's was cut and bloodied because he has fought in a lot more fights that allowed elbows and has been cut a LOT more than Anderson. That scar tissue tears and bleeds much easier.

Anderson never had that kind of problem. Pride and other Japanese organizations he worked his way up in did not allow elbows. When he came to the UFC he has rarely ever been put on his back where elbows are thrown the most. I wonder how many times Anderson has bled in a fight, come to think of it.[/quote']

Very good point, reminds me of BJ Penn. Had to ask google http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/has-anderson-silva-ever-bled-fight-1291401/

a good chance of beating Silva.

With his pressure/wrestling' date=' he has a very good chance of TKOing Silva on the ground or grinding out a decision.

Training with Chael can't hurt since he clearly solved the Anderson puzzle.

Thoughts?[/quote']

LoL you crazy...

And I am no fan of Canderdson

While I like Andy and have enjoyed his matches, I think it would be a breath of fresh air to see Okami win the belt. Much in the same way I would love to see Diaz dethrone GSP

Dominant performances and title reigns are all well and good, but I like the chaos and uncertainty that comes with belts that periodically shifts to new hands. It means that the division is healthy and have real challengers worthy of wearing the strap

The Countdown shows always do their job in creating a feeling of equal opportunity for all fighters, UFC are great at promotion and marketing!

I too have found myself questioning my picks of Silva and Shaub as definate winners... but on reflection i think that the realisation is that Okami is a very good fighter and wont be a pushover. In saying that though, Silva has the ability to make great fighter look ordinary and as proved against Belfort, can finish a fight at anytime.

With regards to being unsure about Shaub now beating Big Nog, the countdown has made me believe not only more in Nog, but also that Schaub may be over-confident and make a big mistake that Nog will capitalize on.

Note that Nog also said he wanted to make a run to a title shot! That impressed me actually

Chael wasn't roiding. I think EVERYBODY knows that.

He had a disclosure issue for TRT. But let's not even get into this.

That's still cheating to take a PED. Whether it is in the rules or not is irrelevant. Taking PEDs especially in a combat sport is cheating.

With his pressure/wrestling' date=' he has a very good chance of TKOing Silva on the ground or grinding out a decision.

Thoughts?[/quote']

thats exactly what the countdown i ssupposed to do. remember when it looked like Jake Shields actually had a chance after watching the countdown and then GSP fought his worst fight since being champion and still dominated.

That actually has a lot more to do with fighter history. Silva's face was bruised' date=' but it's not as visible due to the shade of his melanin. Sonnen's was cut and bloodied because he has fought in a lot more fights that allowed elbows and has been cut a LOT more than Anderson. That scar tissue tears and bleeds much easier.

Anderson never had that kind of problem. Pride and other Japanese organizations he worked his way up in did not allow elbows. When he came to the UFC he has rarely ever been put on his back where elbows are thrown the most. I wonder how many times Anderson has bled in a fight, come to think of it.[/quote']

Oh my god, an educated member of this forum. How did you get on here?! ;)

Don't bother wasting your time explaining, blood = lose. :confused:

That's still cheating to take a PED. Whether it is in the rules or not is irrelevant. Taking PEDs especially in a combat sport is cheating.

Except for the fact that it isn't. It was .1 over the 'standard'. Whos standard exactly?! If you listened to the trials it was an absolute mess from the comissions side.

Plus there's the fact that most will take them and you will never even know.

While I like Andy and have enjoyed his matches' date=' I think it would be a breath of fresh air to see Okami win the belt. Much in the same way I would love to see Diaz dethrone GSP

Dominant performances and title reigns are all well and good, but I like the chaos and uncertainty that comes with belts that periodically shifts to new hands. It means that the division is healthy and have real challengers worthy of wearing the strap[/quote']

Ditto. The main reason I want Silva to lose the belt is not really about hating him, I think he's a great fighter, but it's just so bloody boring now. It's like anything in life, you can have lucky streaks where your opponents are skilled but in different areas and they just match up well for you. Silva dominated some of the best at HIS game, and in turn a lot of the others were simply too scared to use THEIR game to take him out. Look at Belfort for example. If he wasn't so terrifed from all the UFC scare mongering/hype/promotion he would have treat him like any other opponent and aggressively taken him out.

Like Sonnen said, he saw Vitors face on the stage banging on about how much he respected him and looked like he was staring death in the face. He lost before he even started...the mental game of MMA ey ;)

Thoughts?[/quote']

what anderson puzzle? is it when u finish putting the puzzle together u end up with silva's nuts on ur face?

what anderson puzzle? is it when u finish putting the puzzle together u end up with silva's nuts on ur face?

HAHAAAAAAA!

Sonnen was getting toyed with and he knows it. Silva won that fight when he wanted to win it, last minute of the last round, just for the suspense, and to give all the Spider haters some hope, then crush it mercilessly with a triangle choke/armbar combination.

He could have choked him out and broke his arm at the same time. Sonnen knows he's outclassed, he just keeps running his mouth to keep himself relevant.

Silva's first line of takedown defense is striking and then a modest sprawl. Sonnen kept him guessing as to whether the takedown or punch was coming ... actually it looked like Silva had no expectation of a punch at first and was taken by surprise. I'm sure he must have a plan to deal with this now. So it probably won't be as easy for Okami to follow the Sonnen plan. But can Silva handle continual pressure if Okami brings it? Maybe he KOs Okami in round one with a Seagal-type move, but maybe Okami grinds him down for five rounds.

all that pressure on the countdown show was against lucio linhares, evan tanner, etc. basically guys that are not on anderson silva's level in any way

i agree that okami has a good skillset for silva with wrestling/JJ, but i don't think it will be enough to beat anderson

all that pressure on the countdown show was against lucio linhares' date=' evan tanner, etc. basically guys that are not on anderson silva's level in any way

i agree that okami has a good skillset for silva with wrestling/JJ, but i don't think it will be enough to beat anderson[/quote']

Haha, yep. I had never even heard of the lucio dude until last night honestly. Okami beat a bunch of top 15-20 ish fighters in the UFC and lost to the two top guys he faced. He is being fed to the wolves in Brazil.

Oh, we still on for a sig bet?

No. I was talking about he 300 punches landed in one fight.

If Sonnen escaped the triangle and it went to a decision; nobody would second guess a DOMINANT victory for Sonnen... get it?

Anderson Silva will beat Okami so decisively, it will strike fear into the Japanese nation enough to laugh at Godzilla. But the good news, at least they can brag about their women's soccer team. And their little league team... possibly.

And I'm not being biased (that much). Okami is a great talent, and I think he has what it takes to beat anybody that's not named Anderson Silva. "Okami is the only man to hold a victory over Anderson Silva in the past 6 years." Yeah, let's hype up Ol' Thunder by telling everybody that Anderson Silva beat Anderson Silva.

:rolleyes:

No. I was talking about he 300 punches landed in one fight.

If Sonnen escaped the triangle and it went to a decision; nobody would second guess a DOMINANT victory for Sonnen... get it?

But it wasn't. At the end of the day, your boy tapped.

Besides, it's not like Sonnen "solved" the Anderson puzzle. Hendo did that years ago. Most educated people knew after that first round that a strong, determined wrestler could pose problems for Silva. Only reason it didn't work for Hendo is because he decided to try and strike with Silva. Big mistake.

Silva has both a huge skill advantage and mental advantage going into this fight. Okami even mentioned that Silva's pressure the first time they fought was incredible. Add the fact that Okami IS gonna be scared of Silva beating him with one hit and Okami is screwed. Period. Anyone thinking Okami is gonna have more luck than Sonnen, I pity you.

Haha' date=' yep. I had never even heard of the lucio dude until last night honestly. Okami beat a bunch of top 15-20 ish fighters in the UFC and lost to the two top guys he faced. He is being fed to the wolves in Brazil.

Oh, we still on for a sig bet?[/quote']

yea man :D

Countdown is not meant to show how lopsided a victory will be; It is meant to create interest in the upcoming fight.

Okami's got just a good of a shot as Leben (stopped), Franklin (stopped x2), Lutter (stopped), Marquardt (stopped), Henderson (stopped), Irvin (stopped), Cote (stopped), Leites, Griffin (stopped), Maia, Sonnen (stopped), and Belfort (stopped).

But what does he do better than any of the aforementioned that would lead you to believe that advantage will equal a victory?

Archived