Carwin returns early 2012 - who to fight?

JonesyUK

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24947/ufcs-shane-carwin-eyes-2012-return-promises-to-bring-the-animal-back-to-the-fight.mma

Good interview and i for one am glad to see him back. I think he took a lot of unfair criticism for the Brock and JDS losses.

The Brock loss - He went in for the kill in the same way JDS went in against him. Brock took advantage in a way that JDS did not. That fight could easily have been stopped.

JDS loss - The fight was always going to be about who could land the first signicant combination, that happened to be JDS. For Carwin to last the 3 rounds though and not get KO'd, he deserves a lot of respect for that.

Fickle fans also forget that prior to Brock, he was 12 fights unbeaten with NO fighter getting past the 1st round with him!

Question now is, who should he face, as this fight will be crucial to his survival in the UFC, at the very least he is worthy of being a gatekeeper to anyone getting the next title shot IMO

All the options there make for interesting fights i would say except for the loser of CAIN/JDS and Brock 2.

My vote goes to winner of Schaub/Big Nog, purely because with Schaub as the favourite in that one i think he needs to go against a striker of Carwins power before he even considers going after Cain or JDS.

Mir is talking about being worthy of a title shot or at least one fight away, again he needs to beat a striker of Carwins calibre to prove he can last more than one round against Cain/JDS. He lost the first fight so badly, i dont think he should leapfrog Carwin.

Fight against Overeem would be a good introduction for the Reem and give us a glimpse of whether he is ready for the big time.

Versus the winner of Kongo/Mitrione would be barn-stormer too and you wouldnt expect the fight to go past round one

Carwin didn't throw a single real punch that entire fight. He deserves to be in the prelims if at all. Working up your cardio doesn't mean doing nothing for 3 rounds. I rather he gas the 2nd round of every fight throwing bombs in the first.

He shadow boxed worse then frankie edgar that fight and that's saying alot.

You dont go from being a 12-0 1st round wrecking machine to all of a sudden being a non-contender in the division and unable to box!!!

He lost to Brock when he was ranked no1 as the champ, then JDS ranked no2 at the time... How on earth does that make him prelim material??? All fighters have their off fights and like i said, in the fight with JDS it was always going to be the first one to land a decent combo was going to take the fight. JDS beat him to the punch and probably by half-a-second. After that of course it seemed like he was shadow boxing because the guy could hardly see with his eyes blown up like they were! JDS would have been the same had he taken the punishment he had just dished out...

I cannot think of anyone in the division outside of Cain/JDS/Brock that i would comfortably bet money on beating Carwin. He is still the No4 in the division. FACT

If Carwin had a shred of cardio I think he'd destroy Brock.

He DID destroy Lesnar. Just gassed out and got submitted.

Won't fight Schaub. I think they're from same camp. In Colorado with Trevor Witman. Though in the countdown Schaub wasn't there and he was in like 10 different places.

Carwin vs Mitrione/Kongo would be great.

I can also see Carwin vs Nelson. A fight that was originally supposed to happen at UFC 125.

BTW.....500th POST!....what an accomplishment.

You dont go from being a 12-0 1st round wrecking machine to all of a sudden being a non-contender in the division and unable to box!!!

He lost to Brock when he was ranked no1 as the champ' date=' then JDS ranked no2 at the time... How on earth does that make him prelim material??? All fighters have their off fights and like i said, in the fight with JDS it was always going to be the first one to land a decent combo was going to take the fight. JDS beat him to the punch and probably by half-a-second. After that of course it seemed like he was shadow boxing because the guy could hardly see with his eyes blown up like they were! JDS would have been the same had he taken the punishment he had just dished out...

I cannot think of anyone in the division outside of Cain/JDS/Brock that i would comfortably bet money on beating Carwin. He is still the No4 in the division. FACT[/quote']

F that, the first exchange will determine the winner? Really? Carwin lost because he has nothing on JDS, not because he didn't land a combo first.

F that' date=' the first exchange will determine the winner? Really? Carwin lost because he has nothing on JDS, not because he didn't land a combo first.[/quote']

Not the first 'exchange', the first cleanly landed combination of punches.

Carwin knocked out 12 guys in the first round, then nearly did the same to Brock. The guy is dangerous and i dont care if you are JDS or even Cain, if he catches you with a combo of flush punches you are going down and probably out.

Carwin only 'had nothing on JDS' because he got caught and his nose broken and eyes swollen up. The guy had to breathe through his mouth and fight half blind. I dont care who you are, you are not going to be able to fight well in that condition. He STILL lasted the 3 rounds though and didnt get knocked out...

JDS had the speed advantage over Carwin, as i think he does with the majority of HW's when it comes to striking. Carwin is the harder hitter though, fact.

Fight could have gone either way is what i am basically saying and you can no-way say based solely on that fight that Carwin is a can.

Amazing how quick people on this forum are to jump off bandwagons :rolleyes:

I suppose if Anderson loses to Okami there will be an army of people on here saying "see, i knew i was overrated" !!!

I get the feeling UFC will, if possible, pair Carwin up against Nelson if he beats Cro-Cop. Mainly because they were ranked 4th and 5th in the division prior to Nelson losing to Mir and Carwin losing to JDS.

With Nelson losing to Mir though, surely Carwin remains 4th in the division and Mir moves up to 5th and does not leapfrog Carwin as Carwin did beat him pretty convincingly last year...

Archived