Silva/GSP: Cleaned Out/Better Division?

CaptainSuperman

People often like to compare the divisions of two of the greatest MMA champions we have seen thus far in Anderson Silva at 185 and Georges St. Pierre at 170. And when a fighter has been champion as long as the likes of these two, statements get thrown around that they have cleaned out their division. I think the two topics sorta go hand in hand with each other, as who the king of a division faces defines the division.

During Silva's current reign as champion, he has faced and beaten 10 different fighters, 9 if you only want to include title defenses, as Lutter didn't make weight for their fight. Of those fights, he has only rematched Franklin as a challenger to the title, and Okami in Pride. It is now at this point in which people are claiming Silva to really have cleaned out the division, with the only match ups left for him at 185 are a new face in Brian Stann, and rematches with Belfort and Sonnen, and maybe Dan Henderson. All other match ups are at different divisions, or the possible Superfight with GSP.

During GSP's reign as champion, he has faced and beaten 6 different fighters, 7 if you include his win over Matt Serra as the Interim Champion. And of those fights, he has rematched Serra, Penn, and Koscheck. It should be noted he never faced Matt Hughes in any of their three bouts as a champion, only as a challenger. Up until the acquisition of Strikeforce, the only match ups left for GSP were rematches with Fitch, BJ, and Hughes. He was said to have cleaned out the division, after only 6 fights. But since then, he has faced Shields and is set to fight Diaz later this year. If he beats Diaz, he, much like Silva, will only have one guy to face, Carlos Condit. But Condit, much like Stann, may be more hype than reality. They both have to beat former challengers to even think about getting a title shot.

So what does this say about the divisions. Is it better to have cleaned out a division after 6/7 fights against guys you have already faced, or against 9/10 different challengers?

Well, GSP might have cleaned out his division, but some might argue that Condit is left, which is a reasonable argument.

Silva really has beat just about everybody, but I think he has to fight Sonnen again. Sonnen beat him pretty bad and got caught at the end. Just my opinion though.

Welterweight division is much better than middleweight division.

And GSP still has Penn/Condit + Fitch

Anderson has Sonnen/Stann + maybe Bisping

Did you read? Penn and Fitch are rematches' date=' surprise surprise, and Condit may be all hype.

Well, GSP might have cleaned out his division, but some might argue that Condit is left, which is a reasonable argument.

Silva really has beat just about everybody, but I think he has to fight Sonnen again. Sonnen beat him pretty bad and got caught at the end. Just my opinion though.

Sonnen had the performance of his career, and still couldn't win.

And yes, Condit is the only new face for GSP, as SF seems irrelevant at this point if he beats the champion of it's division. Really the only guy in SF for Silva to face is Jacare.

Did you read? Penn and Fitch are rematches' date=' surprise surprise, and Condit may be all hype.

And yes, Condit is the only new face for GSP, as SF seems irrelevant at this point if he beats the champion of it's division. Really the only guy in SF for Silva to face is Jacare.[/quote']

No

And yes, Condit is the only new face for GSP, as SF seems irrelevant at this point if he beats the champion of it's division. Really the only guy in SF for Silva to face is Jacare.[/quote']

Sonnen did what he normally does. He's a bad match up for Silva. I don't want to argue that he's in a week division, but I do think he benefits from a division with very few quality wrestlers.

Some might argue GSP had better opponents and perhaps he did but only slightly.

The way that Anderson cleaned his division is very impressive and much much harder to do.

I honestly think GSP isn't as good as people thinks he is.

He's like the most elite mediocre fighter you've ever seen but one hell of an athlete.

The way that Anderson cleaned his division is very impressive and much much harder to do.

He's like the most elite medocre fighter you've ever seen but one hell of an athlete.

He's the best athlete in MMA.

Maybe one of the best ones in the world.

He's like the most elite medocre fighter you've ever seen but one hell of an athlete.

GSP is a striker that is in a division filled with wrestlers.

Silva is the best striker, and he KO's guys. Isn't he supposed to?

GSP is a striker that out wrestles guys, I don't think there's ever been a fighter that has made that transition successfully besides himself.

Silva is the best striker' date=' and he KO's guys. Isn't he supposed to?

GSP is a striker that out wrestles guys, I don't think there's ever been a fighter that has made that transition successfully besides himself.[/quote']

Mustapha Al Turk.

He went from being the best HW grappler to be one of the greatest strikers in the sport.

He could've have beaten ones like Badr Hari or Semmy Schilt.

Still, not my opinion, just listing the facts.

Silva is the best striker' date=' and he KO's guys. Isn't he supposed to?

GSP is a striker that out wrestles guys, I don't think there's ever been a fighter that has made that transition successfully besides himself.[/quote']

He's not a striker, i don't care what his background is his is not a natural striker. He has excellent footwork though and his jab has gotten better. His kicks were always pretty good. The rest...meh

He found his calling and that is wrestling it comes very natuarally to him. He was good at wrestling when he first started in the UFC.

He's not a striker' date=' i don't care what his background is his is not a natural striker. He has excellent footwork though and his jab has gotten better. His kicks were always pretty good. The rest...meh

He found his calling and that is wrestling it comes very natuarally to him. He was good at wrestling when he first started in the UFC.[/quote']

Yes, but he started off as a striker. He was a newbie at wrestling, walked into the most wrestling dominated division in MMA, and cleaned it out. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Not to diminish what Silva has done, but he walked into a division that was being ruled by a striker, beat him and went on to rule it.

That's how I look at it.

Rumble on the Rock.

My bad

He's like the most elite mediocre fighter you've ever seen but one hell of an athlete.

The thing that gets me with GSP is that once you've beaten a fighter, you've shown us just that. Obviously anyone can beat anyone in this sport, but GSP is facing guys that he's already beaten. Yeah some of his competition IS better than Anderson's, but GSP could go on fighting BJ Penn for the rest of his career, beating him everytime, and it's still not saying as much as Silva's diverse pool of fighters.

Silva's only rematches now are Okami and Franklin, fighting them both just 2 times each. GSP has fought Bj, Koscheck, and Serra twice, and Hughes three times. And he was suppose to have by now faced Fitch a second time. 24 career fights for GSP against 19 different fighters. Silva has 35 career fights against 33 different fighters.

Archived