UFC 137 first PPV card in UK?

JonesyUK

Well, no, this is my point!

The ESPN shown cards are not listed as PPV. As i understand it, the UFC and ESPN UK deal runs until August 2012. But recently ESPN have stopped showing the Spike prelims and also turned down showing the Milwaukee Hardy v Lytle card, which seems stupid as Hardy is a massive UK draw.

Something smells like a falling out between UFC and ESPN UK, perhaps linked/coinciding with the deal in the US with FOX. It was also reported that Dana had some ****** things to say about ESPN because they never met him for negotiations for the deal that FOX won, saying that they blew him out on 3 or 4 occasions when a meeting was set.

Or, it may be that with the 137 card being so stacked that they are going to use it as a tester for the UK PPV market... i have also checked all the other countries like Germany, France and even Brazil, all are showing as PPV.

Just hope its a mistake... I am actually attending this event myself, but it would set a precedent which could be continued...

Well' date=' no, this is my point!

The ESPN shown cards are not listed as PPV. As i understand it, the UFC and ESPN UK deal runs until August 2012. But recently ESPN have stopped showing the Spike prelims and also turned down showing the Milwaukee Hardy v Lytle card, which seems stupid as Hardy is a massive UK draw.

Something smells like a falling out between UFC and ESPN UK, perhaps linked/coinciding with the deal in the US with FOX. It was also reported that Dana had some ****** things to say about ESPN because they never met him for negotiations for the deal that FOX won, saying that they blew him out on 3 or 4 occasions when a meeting was set.

Or, it may be that with the 137 card being so stacked that they are going to use it as a tester for the UK PPV market... i have also checked all the other countries like Germany, France and even Brazil, all are showing as PPV.

Just hope its a mistake... I am actually attending this event myself, but it would set a precedent which could be continued...[/quote']

The deal with ESPN didnt cover the Versus events, but I'm sure the other events were shown. If I have to buy each event seperately I won't pay for it

The deal with ESPN didnt cover the Versus events' date=' but I'm sure the other events were shown. If I have to buy each event seperately I won't pay for it[/quote']

Know this, but ESPN were offered first dibs on the Versus events, so why would they not want one featuring the most popular UK fighter!?

Also, if you remember when it all kicked off about ESPN not showing the Versus card, they had on their TV schedule the time slot blanked out. So this must have meant that they DID plan to show it, then pulled out at the last minute. So the question there is, why?

Is anyone here on Twitter who could tweet a message over Gareth A.Davies to see if he knows WTF is going on or can find out through his contacts?

Know this' date=' but ESPN were offered first dibs on the Versus events, so why would they not want one featuring the most popular UK fighter!?

Also, if you remember when it all kicked off about ESPN not showing the Versus card, they had on their TV schedule the time slot blanked out. So this must have meant that they DID plan to show it, then pulled out at the last minute. So the question there is, why?

Is anyone here on Twitter who could tweet a message over Gareth A.Davies to see if he knows WTF is going on or can find out through his contacts?[/quote']

something mustve went wrong for them to pull out last minute, maybe it was about %cuts of buys. Im not too bother as long as stuff is going to be available on mma core, because with work and stuff i never stay up to watch it live anyway

something mustve went wrong for them to pull out last minute' date=' maybe it was about %cuts of buys. Im not too bother as long as stuff is going to be available on mma core, because with wor and stuff i never stay up to watch it live anyway[/quote']

There is no % of buys as it was freeview...

Whats mma core? and this: because with wor and stuff i never stay up to watch it live anyway ???

There is no % of buys as it was freeview...

Whats mma core? and this: because with wor and stuff i never stay up to watch it live anyway ???

i meant to type work. I cant link you to the site because i might get banned but search it and you'll like what you find

We have to pay for just about all of the fight cards here in the US. Its about time people in other parts of the world have to pay to see it as well. It has been pay per view here since 1993, the very first event. Just have a few friends over chip in a few quid each and drink a bunch of beer. They will show them for free in pubs though

We have to pay for just about all of the fight cards here in the US. Its about time people in other parts of the world have to pay to see it as well. It has been pay per view here since 1993' date=' the very first event. Just have a few friends over chip in a few quid each and drink a bunch of beer. They will show them for free in pubs though[/quote']

its the same in Aus

Do you think that might have something to do with the fact you guys get to watch the PPV at a `normal ` hour ?? these things are screened 2am to 5 am over here ......pretty sure you US boys wouldnt pay PPV rates to watch at that time in the morning.....

Plus , the channel here that shows numbered events (ESPN UK) isnt free anyway!!

We have to pay for just about all of the fight cards here in the US. Its about time people in other parts of the world have to pay to see it as well. It has been pay per view here since 1993' date=' the very first event. Just have a few friends over chip in a few quid each and drink a bunch of beer. They will show them for free in pubs though[/quote']

The events here normally start at 2am, which is why I don't watch it live, and there's no pubs/clubs open then. If they try to charge people the same as they charge you guys, people will lose interest quickly. We pay for the ESPN package as an add on to our normal sports channels, and some months I struggle to afford the extra ?10.

How much do you pay in the US for a single card?

Looks like a false alarm, UFC have changed the schedule now so that it doesnt show PPV :D

Strikeforce is PPV over here, that is on a silly o'clock.

Boxing is PPV over here, if not a UK promoted fight, also at silly o'clock.

UFC WILL go PPV when they feel the time is right, which i imagine is not too far away.

Important thing is that we dont forget that getting UFC for free over here is not a given. They have done this to help promote the sport and grow the fanbase. This is a GOOD thing that they do for us here and when it does go PPV anyone that *****es about it and says they are not going to pay for it, well, your not really a fan. You simply cannot attack UFC for making you pay for something that everyone else does.

This will ultimately lead to BETTER CARDS for UK events, as they will recieve PPV income to pay the bigger names with.

We pay for boxing over here, and i would pay for a UFC event over a boxing 'event' any day!

The events here normally start at 2am' date=' which is why I don't watch it live, and there's no pubs/clubs open then. If they try to charge people the same as they charge you guys, people will lose interest quickly. We pay for the ESPN package as an add on to our normal sports channels, and some months I struggle to afford the extra ?10.

How much do you pay in the US for a single card?[/quote']

The US pay $50, which is roughly ?31. I would imagine they would charge ?25.00 in the UK in-line with Strikeforce and boxing rates.

?25.00 is a fair price to pay IMO.

For pubs and clubs, the sensible thing for UFC to do is replay at 6 or 7pm on the Sunday night. I have no problem staying away from MMA for the day so that i dont ruin the event come replay time. They would need to support the pubs and clubs with marketing like they do for the US, so fans know where they can go

The US pay $50' date=' which is roughly ?31. I would imagine they would charge ?25.00 in the UK in-line with Strikeforce and boxing rates.

For pubs and clubs, the sensible thing for UFC to do is replay at 6 or 7pm on the Sunday night. I have no problem staying away from MMA for the day so that i dont ruin the event come replay time. They would need to support the pubs and clubs with marketing like they do for the US, so fans know where they can go[/quote']

Lol , you think the fairweather MMA fans in the UK will pay ?25 for a delayed broadcast?

Until the big boys on the roster fight on our Cards at 9pm , we wont see PPV`s here , and then if the big boys DO fight on a UK card , lets see how many amercians pay PPV for it.....theres a reason our cards are on Spike over the pond

You cnat compare Boxing to MMA , not for a good few years yet...

The US pay $50' date=' which is roughly ?31. I would imagine they would charge ?25.00 in the UK in-line with Strikeforce and boxing rates.

For pubs and clubs, the sensible thing for UFC to do is replay at 6 or 7pm on the Sunday night. I have no problem staying away from MMA for the day so that i dont ruin the event come replay time. They would need to support the pubs and clubs with marketing like they do for the US, so fans know where they can go[/quote']

It's not that 25 is an unfair price, its more that I might not be able to afford it sometimes, and theres not many places that would be willing to show it other than in Newcastle city centre, as the general interest doesn't seem to be that high. Pubs tried it for the last UK card and it was not well attended, they turned it off and put golf highlights on, thats how bad it was

It would depend on the card. If its stacked then they can go the PPV route.

Agreed , but the sport will have to grow (quality wise) quite a lot before that happens...

The UFC isnt stupid , they get more exposure = sponsors = money in the UK ,(which doesnt have a PPV culture) through cable or satelitte providers , currently , than they could hope to get airing a PPV at 9pm that the US arent fussed about...

Lol ' date=' you think the fairweather MMA fans in the UK will pay ?25 for a delayed broadcast?

Until the big boys on the roster fight on our Cards at 9pm , we wont see PPV`s here , and then if the big boys DO fight on a UK card , lets see how many amercians pay PPV for it.....theres a reason our cards are on Spike over the pond

You cnat compare Boxing to MMA , not for a good few years yet...[/quote']

:rolleyes:

We have paid PPV for boxing at silly o'clock in the UK for years, this is nothing new.

Cannot compare boxing to MMA huh? Ok, lets compare the biggest boxing event of the year to the biggest UFC event of the year:

Pacquiao vs Mosley

1.3m PPV buys

$8.8m gate

16,412 attendence

UFC 129: GSP vs SHIELDS

0.9m PPV buys

$12m gate

55,724 attendence

Now i already know that someone is probably going to say that using the stadium event in Canada is a bad example, but we havent had any 'big' cards really apart from 129 this year. 136 and 137 will set the bar, especially with 137 being in Vegas. Buy rates this year have average 0.4-0.5m, gates ?2m, attendances 13-14k.

So you see MMA is closer to boxing then many actually think and whilst boxing figures are on the decline, MMA are on the rise. Times are a changing :cool:

We have paid PPV for boxing at silly o'clock in the UK for years' date=' this is nothing new.

Cannot compare boxing to MMA huh? Ok, lets compare the biggest boxing event of the year to the biggest UFC event of the year:

[b']Pacquiao vs Mosley[/b]

1.3m PPV buys

$8.8m gate

16,412 attendence

UFC 129: GSP vs SHIELDS

0.9m PPV buys

$12m gate

55,724 attendence

Now i already know that someone is probably going to say that using the stadium event in Canada is a bad example, but we havent had any 'big' cards really apart from 129 this year. 136 and 137 will set the bar, especially with 137 being in Vegas. Buy rates this year have average 0.4-0.5m, gates ?2m, attendances 13-14k.

So you see MMA is closer to boxing then many actually think and whilst boxing figures are on the decline, MMA are on the rise. Times are a changing :cool:

Agree with all that , but i think you chose to ignore what i actually meant , which is , as a country (the UK) boxing is MILES AND MILES ahead of MMA

And even fairly big Boxing events in the UK dont walys make it to PPV

Are you confusing the discussion ? because i thought we were discussing the UK issue regards UFC/MMA , PPV`s etc....not stadium shows and US events on the other side of the world....

Archived