Would the UFC have more fans if there weren't so many wrestlers?

Bong_Water_Blues

Wrestling is without a doubt the most boring part of MMA, I mean if the guy knows how to GnP from the top it's good, but a guy taking another guy down and laying there....who the **** wants to see that?!

You can't finish a fight with wrestling (other than a slam, and how many times have we seen that?)

I think if the UFC cut back on college wrestlers entering and even cut a couple of current ones, MMA would be such a better sport and the UFC would have much more fans.

no, that's the beauty about mma. People come from different backgrounds and have their base of martial arts. it's just that stylistically, some fights are between a striker and a wrestler, and the wrestler usually wins by controlling the fight. MMA fighters need to learn wrestling or basic takedowns and takedown defense to be successful. Just like every fighter needs to learn Jui-Jitsui just bcuz every other fighter knows it now or at least trains in it. (except Chael Sonnen, which is a great example, since he gets submitted every fight). Instead of complaining about it, just learn it. Learn the advantages of it before discrediting it.

how about removing wrestling from the point scoring' date=' and just score points for submission attempts and significant strikes.[/quote']

This, but submission attempts shouldn't count for points, thats like counting missed strikes for points lol.

Scoring should be purley based on damage, no not cuts, significant strikes.

Dont hate the player hate the game...Refs should stand them up earlier, or the opponent should learn how to defend the Takedown...I hate when wrestlers stall on the ground but if its easy for them to get the win like that then why not..Its the judges and the refs fault.

This' date=' but submission attempts shouldn't count for points, thats like counting missed strikes for points lol.

Scoring should be purley based on damage, no not cuts, significant strikes.[/quote']

i was thinking more like, sub attempts are like significant strikes landed, not all of them will finish you, but they are attempts to finish. The closer the sub seems to be, the more points it would count towards.

i was thinking more like' date=' sub attempts are like significant strikes landed, not all of them will finish you, but they are attempts to finish. The closer the sub seems to be, the more points it would count towards.[/quote']

Good point, i never thought of it that way

The most exciting fighters are based off Striking(or Muay thai) and BJJ' date=' NOT wrestling

Anderson

Nick Diaz

Shogun

JDS

Nog

Bj Penn

etc.[/quote']

Yet wrestlers are the biggest draws in the UFC. Not to mention there wouldnt be any BJJ with out wrestling to get the fight to the ground. Takedowns = wresting aspect of MMA.

Cain V.

Jon Jones

Brock Lesnar

Chael Sonnen

GSP - Im not a fan , but he puts up #'s

Rashad Evans

Yet wrestlers are the biggest draws in the UFC. Not to mention there wouldnt be any BJJ with out wrestling to get the fight to the ground. Takedowns = wresting aspect of MMA.

Cain V.

Jon Jones

Brock Lesnar

Chael Sonnen

GSP - Im not a fan ' date=' but he puts up #'s

Randy Couture (retired)[/quote']

GSP can't be labeled as a wrestler, he hasnt wrestled in college or highschool. if he was to labled, it would be karate.

GSP can't be labeled as a wrestler' date=' he hasnt wrestled in college or highschool. if he was to labled, it would be karate.[/quote']

Yeah because he uses so many karate moves in his fights.......

GSP may have not wrestled before coming into MMA. But he trained with the Canadian wrestling team and frequently uses wrestling in his fights.

P.S. You cant take the rock out .....of paper scissors rock

i don't mind watching the ground game, especially when its really technical. For example, Anthony Pettis. He basically is just all around exciting. When he's on his back he is constantly looking for submissions. I like seeing ko's and tko's, but i equally enjoy seeing submissions. A good wrestler with good jj is dangerous. i just like the whole technicality of the ground game.

I agree with almost all of this.

What makes me think you are retarded is having Brandon Vera in your sig. He's clearly terrible at fighting/life.

haha well one of my favorite fighters.lol. but okay your opinion. i think we shall make a sig bet on the marshall/vera fight :cool:

you down, bro?

Everyone forgets Chuck Liddell was a wrestler and hes considered one of the most entertaining fighters of all time........:rolleyes:

Chris Lytle also started as a wrestler and he holds the record for the most UFC bonus awards' date=' 10.

Like i said nothing wrong with wrestlers in UFC as long as they don't fight like a f-ag..

[img']http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/docobv/gsplytleqna.jpg[/img]

Yeah because he uses so many karate moves in his fights.......

GSP may have not wrestled before coming into MMA. But he trained with the Canadian wrestling team and frequently uses wrestling in his fights.

P.S. You cant take the rock out .....of paper scissors rock

check this bro, you cant lable someone as a wrestler if that was not there first discipline. he started wrestling soooooo late in his career that it would be dumb to call him a wrestler based.

Wrestling is without a doubt the most boring part of MMA' date=' I mean if the guy knows how to GnP from the top it's good, but a guy taking another guy down and laying there....who the **** wants to see that?!

You can't finish a fight with wrestling (other than a slam, and how many times have we seen that?)

I think if the UFC cut back on college wrestlers entering and even cut a couple of current ones, MMA would be such a better sport and the UFC would have much more fans.[/quote']

Wrestling is a part of MMA and that will never change, but I do AGREE that you would have more fans if there wasn't so much wrestling. I find that when i watch UFC events/fights, with my friends, its when there's lay n pray, or wall and stall that's when they tune out, or get a drink/pee whatever...it bores people. I love the art/sport, but I dont think it appeals to everyone.

Archived