Sign in to follow this  
JonesyUK

A 'serious' look at current HW top ten

I have been thinking about this since 134 with the Nog v Schaub fight and since a couple of pony threads have been made this week about who is where in the top ten, though i would put a top ten out there. I have done this with the thinking of where the UFC see these guys more so than being completely my own thoughts:

1.) Cain

2.) JDS

3.) Brock

4.) Carwin

5.) Mir

6.) Nelson

7.) Nog

8.) Kongo

9.) Mitrione

10.) Schaub

Travis Browne must be knocking on the top ten door right now, perhaps ranked 11th currently?

If/when Overeem is announced next week, you would assume he would go straight into the top 5, thus taking Schaub out of the top ten... Perhaps Schaub v Browne should be a fight that is considered should Browne win his next fight?

Hmm' date=' I'd take Schaub and Kongo off, and switch Nelson and Nogueira.[/quote']

I was really un-decisive about Nelson and Nog, but i feel sorry for Nelson fighting Mir when he clearly was still suffering with 'Canadian flu' !!!

If you were to take Schaub and Kongo out, who would you put in?

Kongo is the only guy to take Cain to a decision. He has taken out some good fighters in Cro-Cop, Hardonk and Al-Turk. He drew also fought to a draw against Travis Browne last year.

Schaub has been on a good run up to the Nog loss, he has finished in 7 of his 8 wins. I know there is a lot of hate out there for him at the moment, but there is no-one outside of my top ten you could seriously rank ahead of the guy IMO

I have been thinking about this since 134 with the Nog v Schaub fight and since a couple of pony threads have been made this week about who is where in the top ten' date=' though i would put a top ten out there. I have done this with the thinking of where the UFC see these guys more so than being completely my own thoughts:

1.) Cain

2.) JDS

3.) Brock

4.) Carwin

5.) Mir

6.) Nelson

7.) Nog

8.) Kongo

9.) Mitrione

10.) Schaub

Travis Browne must be knocking on the top ten door right now, perhaps ranked 11th currently?

If/when Overeem is announced next week, you would assume he would go straight into the top 5, thus taking Schaub out of the top ten... Perhaps Schaub v Browne should be a fight that is considered should Browne win his next fight?[/quote']

Why would you put Carwin over Mir? Hes on a two fight losing streak, while Mir is on a two fight winning streak. Nog should also be over Nelson. Nelson is on a two fight losing streak and Nog just came off an impressive victory.

Why would you put Carwin over Mir? Hes on a two fight losing streak' date=' while Mir is on a two fight winning streak. Nog should also be over Nelson. Nelson is on a two fight losing streak and Nog just came off an impressive victory.[/quote']

Umm, maybe because Carwin raped Mir?

UFC+111+St+Pierre+vs+Hardy+V9MsYqUK6VYl.jpg

1. Cain

2. JDS.

3. Lesnar

4. MIr.

5. Carwin

6.Mitrione.

7.Nog.

8.Kongo.

9.Nelson

10.Schaub

I have been thinking about this since 134 with the Nog v Schaub fight and since a couple of pony threads have been made this week about who is where in the top ten' date=' though i would put a top ten out there. I have done this with the thinking of where the UFC see these guys more so than being completely my own thoughts:

1.) Cain

2.) JDS

3.) Brock

4.) Carwin

5.) Mir

6.) Nelson

7.) Nog

8.) Kongo

9.) Mitrione

10.) Schaub

If/when Overeem is announced next week, you would assume he would go straight into the top 5, thus taking Schaub out of the top ten... Perhaps Schaub v Browne should be a fight that is considered should Browne win his next fight?[/quote']

Not bad, but wheres pat barry?

Is it just me, or does it seem for some reason that the average top 10 for heavyweights flucuates more than other weight classes?

So because Mir lost to Carwin he will never be ranked higher than him? Sounds like Mir hate to me.

really? did you see that fight?

that like sayin you hate brock because you think he should be ranked lower than cain just cause he lost to him.

wtf would you base a top 10 off of?

that like sayin you hate brock because you think he should be ranked lower than cain just cause he lost to him.

not-sure-if-serious-or-just-stupid-thumb.jpg

No. Mitrione could beat Struve. Mitrione vs Browne would be a good fight.

No way, Struve would take Meathead apart from a mile away, and finally remember not to leap into a damn punch.

No way' date=' Struve would take Meathead apart from a mile away, and finally remember not to leap into a damn punch.[/quote']

Not too sure about this one , if Mitrione outstrikes and beats Kongo I'll have to say he'd annihilate Struve. Mitrione for the record has....A LONGER REACH than Stefan Struve.

Not too sure about this one ' date=' if Mitrione outstrikes and beats Kongo I'll have to say he'd annihilate Struve. Mitrione for the record has....A LONGER REACH than Stefan Struve.[/quote']

What?!

That's just... not fair

What?!

That's just... not fair

Whoops apparently Stefans is 83inches and Mitriones is 82inches.

I swear I've seen Struves reach listed at 81 and Mitriones at 83 , I wish they'd have accurate and consistent measurements , unless fighters are constantly growing and shrinking slightly inches here and there :rolleyes:

So because Mir lost to Carwin he will never be ranked higher than him? Sounds like Mir hate to me.

carwin only lost to guys who are ranked higher then him, mir beat only guys ranked lower then him, not including brock 4 years ago, so it seems natural that mir be ranked lower then carwin until proven otherwise.

Cain is undefeated and Brock is coming off a loss. I don't see how your example is similar to a fighter coming off a two fight lossing streak being ranked higher than a fighter coming off a two fight winning streak.

carwin only lost to guys who are ranked higher then him' date=' mir beat only guys ranked lower then him, not including brock 4 years ago, so it seems natural that mir be ranked lower then carwin until proven otherwise.[/quote']

Good point. However, I don't think losing two times in a row makes you 4th in line for the title.

Why would you put Carwin over Mir? Hes on a two fight losing streak' date=' while Mir is on a two fight winning streak. Nog should also be over Nelson. Nelson is on a two fight losing streak and Nog just came off an impressive victory.[/quote']

Carwin lost to the guys ranked 2 and 3 in the division, and beat Mir convincingly in a first round knockout! Mir does not deserve to be in the top four until he beats Carwin.

People may hate of Carwin at the moment, but fact of the matter is, none of the fighter ranked 5th and above deserve to get into the top 4 until they beat him. He is sort of like the gatekeeper for the timebeing. If you cant beat Carwin, then you stand NO CHANCE against JDS or Cain. Fact :D

Because carwin walked through Mir.... Also Mirs wins were against mugs & Carwins losses were to Brock & JDS.

my list;

Cain

JDS

Brock

Carwin

Mir

Nog

Nelson

Meathead

Not bad' date=' but wheres pat barry?

Is it just me, or does it seem for some reason that the average top 10 for heavyweights flucuates more than other weight classes?[/quote']

With Barry losing to Cro-Cop and then to Kongo, he would rank 12th i would reckon.

I am a big fan of Barry though and hope he comes back strong from the loss. I also do not like the hate he got for that loss to Cro-Cop, dude broke his arm and ankle in that fight! Were it not for that, he would have finished Cro-Cop

Carwin lost to the guys ranked 2 and 3 in the division' date=' and beat Mir convincingly in a first round knockout! Mir does not deserve to be in the top four until he beats Carwin.

People may hate of Carwin at the moment, but fact of the matter is, none of the fighter ranked 5th and above deserve to get into the top 4 until they beat him. He is sort of like the gatekeeper for the timebeing. If you cant beat Carwin, then you stand NO CHANCE against JDS or Cain. Fact :D[/quote']

Not a fact, but I agree Carwin is far from done. I just don't know to many contender rankings where a fighter can lose two in a row and still be ranked in the top 5.

carwin only lost to guys who are ranked higher then him' date=' mir beat only guys ranked lower then him, not including brock 4 years ago, so it seems natural that mir be ranked lower then carwin until proven otherwise.[/quote']

this ;)

Because carwin walked through Mir.... Also Mirs wins were against mugs & Carwins losses were to Brock & JDS.

my list;

Cain

JDS

Brock

Carwin

Mir

Nog

Nelson

Meathead

Good point.

Not a fact' date=' but I agree Carwin is far from done. I just don't know to many contender rankings where a fighter can lose two in a row and still be ranked in the top 5.[/quote']

Because this is fighters rankings. Mir lost convincingly to Carwin, plus Carwin went through the HW division with a big run of first round destructions. For Mir to be 'ranked' higher than Carwin now, dude has got to face Carwin again and beat him. You cant be ranked higher than a guy you lost so convincingly to unless you they went on a losing streak to fighters that were ranked lower. Carwin has only lost to top 3 guys.

I really think that anyone in the top ten that wants to get into title contention at the moment needs to beat Carwin first. Think about how Carwin beat everyone he had faced before Brock/JDS, then think about how JDS beat Carwin. If a fighter leap-frogged Carwin and went straight up against JDS or Cain, it could be quite a one-sided beatdown... On the other-hand, get tested against Carwin and win, then you are deserving of a shot against Cain/JDS.

This is how i see it anyway...

Because this is fighters rankings. Mir lost convincingly to Carwin' date=' plus Carwin went through the HW division with a big run of first round destructions. For Mir to be 'ranked' higher than Carwin now, dude has got to face Carwin again and beat him. You cant be ranked higher than a guy you lost so convincingly to unless you they went on a losing streak to fighters that were ranked lower. Carwin has only lost to top 3 guys.

I really think that anyone in the top ten that wants to get into title contention at the moment needs to beat Carwin first. Think about how Carwin beat everyone he had faced before Brock/JDS, then think about how JDS beat Carwin. If a fighter leap-frogged Carwin and went straight up against JDS or Cain, it could be quite a one-sided beatdown... On the other-hand, get tested against Carwin and win, then you are deserving of a shot against Cain/JDS.

This is how i see it anyway...[/quote']

I concede to your point. Who do you think Carwin should face next?

quite weak division

We need BigFoot' date=' Werdum, Barnett, Overeem, Kharitonov, Cormier, Del Rosario to make this interesting[/quote']

It is not necessarily weak because of the quality of fighters, it is a lack of depth and therefore competition.

The step up to Carwin/Brock/JDS/Cain is too great for the current crop of fighters sitting ranked 5-15.

UFC does seem to be a recruitment drive this year though for the HW division, although i havent been too impressed with anyone of them as yet, but like you say the addition of the Strikeforce top guys would blow the division up and also create the ability for the fighters fight more than twice a year like they have had to in recent years.

That is the other issue with the HW division, only 2 fights a year on average for a fighter. That is too long, these guys need at least 3 a year to progress up the ladder

There doesn't seem to be anone who stands as as the enxt oppo for Mir or Carwin.

So maybe give them a rematch as Mir made excuses about gameplan etc after the first fight... Ps. after Carwins last two fights Mir will be more confident as last time they faught carwin was like 11-0 with all 1st round stoppages.

There doesn't seem to be anone who stands as as the enxt oppo for Mir or Carwin.

So maybe give them a rematch as Mir made excuses about gameplan etc after the first fight... Ps. after Carwins last two fights Mir will be more confident as last time they faught carwin was like 11-0 with all 1st round stoppages.

True. That fight has potential. However, it could end early like last time if Mir decides to trade with him.

I think it is going to depend on who Brock faces next to be honest, but it makes sense that he would face one of the guys ranked 5th, 6th, or 7th. So he was originally going to face Nelson earlier this year, so Nelson immediately springs to mind if he beats Cro-Cop, otherwise it has to be Mir or Big Nog.

At the end of the day Mir is really talking himself up at the moment and talking title shot. I say he needs to show his progress since the Carwin loss by stepping back in the Octagon with him and beating him.

Mir is way overrated. And Carwin isn't getting any younger' date=' and we don't know how Brock is doing so it could be disaster after Cain/JDS.

Zuffa were really smart to acquire Strikeforce, it will make things progress. Hopefully[/quote']

I don't agree with that. Mir has the record for the most wins in the UFC heavyweight division and he used to hold the title. His biggest issue is consistancy.

True. That fight has potential. However' date=' it could end early like last time if Mir decides to trade with him.[/quote']

If Mir tries to bang with him again then he's stupid....

I personally think that Mir is overrated, he doesn't ereally have any big wins other than Nog..... I mean beating a very green Brock after he'd been destoyed you & you'd been saved by the ref is nothing to shout about.

I think that with carwins age & obvious lack of cardio he'll start losing alot now.

I'm glad the UFC now has strikeforce as fighters like Brock,Carwin, Nog, Mir will all be gone soon.We need bigfoot,Reem,Kar, even Werdum.

I think it is going to depend on who Brock faces next to be honest' date=' but it makes sense that he would face [b']one of the guys ranked 5th, 6th, or 7th.[/b] So he was originally going to face Nelson earlier this year, so Nelson immediately springs to mind if he beats Cro-Cop, otherwise it has to be Mir or Big Nog.

At the end of the day Mir is really talking himself up at the moment and talking title shot. I say he needs to show his progress since the Carwin loss by stepping back in the Octagon with him and beating him.

Yeah, Brock needs at least one impressive win to get him in line for a title shot. A rubber match with Mir might be just what we need to ascertain the next top contender.

I don't agree with that. Mir has the record for the most wins in the UFC heavyweight division and he used to hold the title. His biggest issue is consistancy.

Mir held the title but never beat the Champ to gain it & never defended it....

Also when he had it his main comp was Arlowski & Sylvia.

If Mir tries to bang with him again then he's stupid....

I personally think that Mir is overrated' date=' he doesn't ereally have any big wins other than Nog..... I mean beating a very green Brock after he'd been destoyed you & you'd been saved by the ref is nothing to shout about.

I think that with carwins age & obvious lack of cardio he'll start losing alot now.

I'm glad the UFC now has strikeforce as fighters like Brock,Carwin, Nog, Mir will all be gone soon.We need bigfoot,Reem,Kar, even Werdum.[/quote']

Overrated? He's beaten Roy Nelson, Mirko Filipovic, Cheick Kongo, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Brock Lesnar. Most of these men are considered top contenders. I do agree that Mir is not the future of the division. The UFC needs to get what heavyweights they can from Strike Force and try to scout for more talent.

Mir held the title but never beat the Champ to gain it & never defended it....

Also when he had it his main comp was Arlowski & Sylvia.

The record for most successful title defences in the UFC heavyweight division is 2, so Mir not having a title defence is not that bad.