Does GSPs win over BJ count as a finish?

AWB622

and i dont think making a guy whos to tired to continue but you cant put a bruise on his face or even come close with a submission would ever count as a finish ' date=' because theres NO BONUS after, like sotn and kotn[/quote']

dont tell GSP fans that omg they will go crazy and cry about it

and i dont think making a guy whos to tired to continue but you cant put a bruise on his face or even come close with a submission would ever count as a finish ' date=' because theres NO BONUS after, like sotn and kotn[/quote']

That's exactly what I'm saying, BJ quitting is no finish, to me, a finish is the ref stopping the fight due to punched, a KO or submission, a corner stoppage is no finish.

yes. when a fighter quits on a stool it means that the winner didn't finish them physically' date=' but mentally, which is one of the hardest things to do at this level.

I'm one of the biggest BJ Penn fans but that's still what I think.[/quote']

yep GSP mustve mentally destroyed Penn when he greased for 3 rounds and and the ref just let it continue

Does it count as a finish? Yes

Do I consider it a finish? No

He didn't TKO/KO or submit him' date=' simple as that. I also don't consider cut stoppage a finish.[/quote']

Now this is hypothetical and i doubt this has happened yet, but what if the cut is so bad, I'm talking Joe Steveson vs BJ bad, and he says, screw this I'm done, do you consider that a finish?

Now this is hypothetical and i doubt this has happened yet' date=' but what if the cut is so bad, I'm talking Joe Steveson vs BJ bad, and he says, screw this I'm done, do you consider that a finish?[/quote']

No

I only consider a finish by TKO/KO or sub, everything else is just technical bs

Just my opinion though

yes. when a fighter quits on a stool it means that the winner didn't finish them physically' date=' but mentally, which is one of the hardest things to do at this level.

I'm one of the biggest BJ Penn fans but that's still what I think.[/quote']

^^^THIS!!! The enigma is clearly the smartest person on this thread. It absolutely is a finish. These people are just GSP haters. If you (op) would have eliminated the names from your poll they would have answered differently. If a man concedes you beat him up so bad that he can't continue to fight, you finished him!

wow this is just sad now!

i mean the struggle people go to to try and troll and also to have a go at the great 1,it was a finish because the fight did not continue brain trust! the tubby little fella quit on his stool so the fight was stopped by the ref that is called a TKO and that is a finish :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I'm saying' date=' BJ quitting is no finish, to me, a finish is the ref stopping the fight due to punched, a KO or submission, a corner stoppage is no finish.[/quote']

The corner stoppage you refer to is the same as a tap out. It's a finish. That said, the whole "BJ never quit it was his corner" thing is BS. In between rounds I'm sure BJ was asked if he wanted to continue. He didn't say yes so that's the same as quitting.

i mean the struggle people go to to try and troll and also to have a go at the great 1' date='it was a finish because the fight did not continue brain trust! the tubby little fella quit on his stool so the fight was stopped by the ref that is called a TKO and that is a finish :rolleyes:[/quote']

u wouldnt last 30 seconds with that "tubby little fella" u fool.. if seen him in real life u would probably start kissing his **** aswell lol

i mean the struggle people go to to try and troll and also to have a go at the great 1' date='it was a finish because the fight did not continue brain trust! the tubby little fella quit on his stool so the fight was stopped by the ref that is called a TKO and that is a finish :rolleyes:[/quote']

soo should GSP lost cause he greased and that means he cheated?

Having this debate with my friend' date=' I don't think BJ quitting on the stool counts as a finish but he does...you guys decide.[/quote']

Yes, it's a finish. It's no different then him tapping to strikes or exhaustion in the middle of a round.

If you beat your opponent so bad that he quits, whether in the round or inbetween it, you finished them.

The simple answer is that if BJ would have went out for the 5th round, the fight would have probably been stopped at some point by the ref because he had nothing left to defend with. That, or BJ would have got seriously injured. Who cares if it was a finish in the traditional sense, GSP won decisively and beat down the guy who talked all the ****. It's a satisfying win and he has moved on. Only the haters keep bringing up the grease excuse for BJ's loss.

The simple answer is that if BJ would have went out for the 5th round' date=' the fight would have probably been stopped at some point by the ref because he had nothing left to defend with. That, or BJ would have got seriously injured. Who cares if it was a finish in the traditional sense, GSP won decisively and beat down the guy who talked all the ****. It's a satisfying win and he has moved on. Only the haters keep bringing up the grease excuse for BJ's loss.[/quote']

Not really an excuse when there is proof of it... Not gonna say it changed the outcome of the fight, but if this happened to a non poster boy fighter. Serious actions would have taken place.

Having this debate with my friend' date=' I don't think BJ quitting on the stool counts as a finish but he does...you guys decide.[/quote']

Did the fight go the scheduled 5 rounds? No.

Thus the fight was "finished" before ending and going to a decision.

The answer is a very obvious YES it was a finish.

not even a finish . A KO or a submission or a ACTUAL TKO where the ref has to pull you off from making a guy unconscious.

Ex) Matt Serra vs gsp 1 ' date=' THATS a finish not[/quote']

Fighters can quit during a fight too, it's still a finish regardless if they quit on the stool or tap while leaning on the cage.

There's no "Bleeding bonus" either but a fight can be stopped and finished from a cut!

If someone quits before the end of the fight' date=' he's FINISHED. It's that friggen simple. It's the exact same thing as a tap out.[/quote']

^Yes.

Without GSP, Bj could have sat in the octagon for 25 minutes

With GSP, he couldn't last.

Therefore, GSP caused BJ to quit thus finishing the fight.

^Yes.

Without GSP' date=' Bj could have sat in the octagon for 25 minutes

With GSP, he couldn't last.

Therefore, GSP caused BJ to quit thus finishing the fight.[/quote']

there you have it. I don't even understand the debate. Same thing than tapping.. the guy couln't fight no more because of what his opponent did to him.. therefore GSP finished bj

If the fight did not go 5 rounds then it is a finish. If you want to start talking about whether GSP broke rules thats another topic, but it is listed as a TKO and thats what it is. May not have been a referee stoppage in the middle of the round, but if the doctor says the fighter is done before the next round starts then it is a stoppage. I am not one who believes BJ quit himself, his brother told the doctor to end it if I remember correctly. However if they doctor and referee decide the fights over, then it is over and it is a finish for the winner.

I like how people interpret things when they don't like a fighter. BJ Penns loss was due to his brother calling for a stop to the bout. Also keep in mind that there was numerous punches to the back of the head prior to the end of that round and its subsequent stoppage.

There has been a lot of specualtion as to whether BJ Penn quit, the doctor stopped the fight, the towel was thrown in, or the ref stopped the fight but according to Yahoo?s Kevin Iole, BJ Penn?s brother Jay Dee Penn asked the doctor and Herb Dean to stop the fight at UFC 94.

After the fourth round Herb Dean and the doctor where talking about whether to stop the fight when Jay Dee Penn stepped in asked them to stop the fight. This would give Georges St. Pierre the TKO victory. Or until all hell broke loose the next day when vaseline-gate started. All of this is now being sorted out by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

http://www.aroundtheoctagon.com/?p=757

Penn submitted between rounds... that more ***** than tapping to strikes. Who quits during their break? If the doctor stopped it for whatever reason between rounds it would be a tko, so BJ quitting in my book constitutes as a verbal stoppage.

They should have made BJ tap on the mat to symbolize his tears of defeat.

FINISH.

Penn submitted between rounds... that more ***** than tapping to strikes. Who quits during their break? If the doctor stopped it for whatever reason between rounds it would be a tko' date=' so BJ quitting in my book constitutes as a verbal stoppage.

They should have made BJ tap on the mat to symbolize his tears of defeat.

FINISH.[/quote']

His brother stopped the fight. How is that the same as BJ giving up?

I like how people interpret things when they don't like a fighter. BJ Penns loss was due to his brother calling for a stop to the bout. Also keep in mind that there was numerous punches to the back of the head prior to the end of that round and its subsequent stoppage.

There has been a lot of specualtion as to whether BJ Penn quit' date=' the doctor stopped the fight, the towel was thrown in, or the ref stopped the fight but according to Yahoo?s Kevin Iole, BJ Penn?s brother Jay Dee Penn asked the doctor and Herb Dean to stop the fight at UFC 94.

After the fourth round Herb Dean and the doctor where talking about whether to stop the fight when Jay Dee Penn stepped in asked them to stop the fight. This would give Georges St. Pierre the TKO victory. Or until all hell broke loose the next day when vaseline-gate started. All of this is now being sorted out by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.[/b']

Did he finish the fight dawg?

U mad?

There has been a lot of specualtion as to whether BJ Penn quit' date=' the doctor stopped the fight, the towel was thrown in, or the ref stopped the fight but according to Yahoo?s Kevin Iole, BJ Penn?s brother Jay Dee Penn asked the doctor and Herb Dean to stop the fight at UFC 94.

After the fourth round Herb Dean and the doctor where talking about whether to stop the fight when Jay Dee Penn stepped in asked them to stop the fight. This would give Georges St. Pierre the TKO victory. Or until all hell broke loose the next day when vaseline-gate started. All of this is now being sorted out by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.[/b']

its not like BJ tried to stop his brother.. its not like BJ got mad at his brother.. its not like BJ blamed it on his brother.. BJ was done, he had enough, simple as that.

its not like BJ tried to stop his brother.. its not like BJ got mad at his brother.. its not like BJ blamed it on his brother.. BJ was done' date=' he had enough, simple as that.[/quote']

You can try to rationalize it how you like. The fact is his brother stopped the fight. That is quite different than quitting. If you feel that it is exactly the same, then why mischaracterize it by saying he quit.

Archived