The "Does Lyoto Deserve It?" Debate.

JP24

There's two ways to look at it.

1. If you look at it from one side, Lyoto has pretty much lost 3 out of his last 4 fights, if you're one of those who are pro "Shogun got robbed", as am I... If you're not, he still has only a .500 average in his last 4 fights, and that's not too hot.

2. Looking at it from the other side, Couture is Couture, hard to beat, harder to stop... With a flying kick... Machida made Couture, who's looked good even in old age, look worse than any other fighter has made him look..

3. Some people contest the fact that Machida lost to Rampage at all... In my honest opinion, Rampage did win, but by merely a hair. A rematch can go either way again, and the first fight was told by the shock on Jackson's face. He didn't think he did enough to win, and he knew he got dominated in the last round.

This is a debate about whether or not Lyoto deserves it.

I think yes. To be honest, Machida is better than Rampage, he just had a bad night, and I fully believe that, and also, his style fits Jones' perfectly. Every area Jones has had the biggest success in, Machida has the best ability to nullify him in as well.

Should be an excellent fight, whether he deserves this fight or not.

EDIT: I realized I did more than 2. lol

Same as Machida will beat Bones! :D Lol.

Exactly! :D

I think he does deserve it... Other than losing to Shogun quite decisively, he's done very well in his other fights, even in losing to Rampage... Rampage lost to Rashad as well. Also, it's so obvious that this is a perfect stylistic matchup for Jones, and that alone makes Machida deserving. He's got the tools, and Dana knows this.

stylistically it'll be a fun fight to watch. but edge goes to jones as he's seen the shogun blueprint on how to defeat machida.

Hes not capable of following that blueprint, because his power isnt there his elbows does have ko power but its harder to land.

In most divisions a guy with a recent run like Machida should never get a title shot. However with Rashad still injured, Shogun fighting Henderson and only winning one fight since Jones dismantled him and Rampage having just lost it begins to make more sense.

Although everyone has always said Light-Heavyweight is a stacked division, I believe it is only stacked at the top, but lacks the depth of divisions like Welterweight and Lightweight. With Jones as champion you have Machida Rampage Shogun and Evans as a clear top 5 and everyone else not close to a title shot. The only challengers I see emerging in the near future are Davis and Gustafsson to challenge anyone in that top 5.

With Shogun, Evans and Rampage unable to fight and the lack of depth in the division it becomes clear the only top guy left is Machida. Although he is not on his most impressive run lately he is a former champion who went 16 fights undefeated previously.

I thought he beat Rampage, but it was very close and besides a flurry in round 3 he was not impressive. Someone else mentioned Shogun's resume was not that impressive before facing Machida, but styles make fights and he did do very well against him twice. It is hard to tell how to beat Jones right now, but Machida presents a very interesting challenge. He has great counter striking and great take down defense. I think his biggest problem will be getting into range (some problem as everyone else).

Whether he deserves it or not the fight makes sense and should be good.

Hes not capable of following that blueprint' date=' because his power isnt there his elbows does have ko power but its harder to land.[/quote']

I'm gonna second this opinion...

Jones is a great, elusive striker, but he doesn't have the power to do the Shogun plan. Machida may take a beating, but he'll sure as hell give one while he's at it.

The thing about this fight is, it's not so much that Lyoto deserves it so much as Toronto deserves it. You can't come back to Toronto with Mir vs Nog 2 as your headliner when the city gave you 60,000 attendance 7 months prior, it's a slap in the face.

in regards to Rashad being passed over, it's a matter of "is Rashad a champion?" if Jones wins and he fights Jones, he needs to beat Jones to show he's worthy of holding that belt. if Machida wins, Rashad needs to show that he learned from the first fight with The Dragon and is an evolving fighter worthy of holding that belt.

Lyoto doesn't necessarily deserve a title shot after his last few fights but god damn am i excited to see this match-up! more so than Jones vs Rashad

No. And that's the right answer.

How can you possible deserve a shot going 1-2 beating a 47yr old Couture? And the fact he refused a fight due to there not being enough money for it in him.

No' date=' NO and [b']NO[/b]

WAR Jones!

11ers gonna 11.

In all honesty (and machida is my fav fighter) no. He should need to get one or two more wins for a title shot. But as has been said Dana needed a main event, he delivered. Both are top guys, great, recognizable names. Also Shoguns booked, Jones just beat Page and Davis and Rashad are injured. But at the same time this is a great fight. Shogun didnt deserve his title shot but that doesnt mean its not possible to take advantage. The timing just happened to be right for Machida. Im pumped for this fight. The top of the LHW div is just busy.

And to the people who talk of his record, he has only really lost to shogun, his fight with rampage was extremely close not to mention that he was really hesitant/cautios after his 1st ko loss (understandable), if they fight again machida will attack and beat page. Also why all the disrespect towards coutre, he earned his name, hes the one that wanted to fight machida and that finish is one of the greatest in ufc history. He was 47 but was still able to fight. Granted its not the best situation but couture is one of the greats and how many times has he ever been beaten like that.

There's two ways to look at it.

1. If you look at it from one side' date=' Lyoto has pretty much lost 3 out of his last 4 fights, if you're one of those who are pro "Shogun got robbed", as am I... If you're not, he still has only a .500 average in his last 4 fights, and that's not too hot.

2. Looking at it from the other side, Couture is Couture, hard to beat, harder to stop... With a flying kick... Machida made Couture, who's looked good even in old age, look worse than any other fighter has made him look..

3. Some people contest the fact that Machida lost to Rampage at all... In my honest opinion, Rampage did win, but by merely a hair. A rematch can go either way again, and the first fight was told by the shock on Jackson's face. He didn't think he did enough to win, and he knew he got dominated in the last round.

This is a debate about whether or not Lyoto deserves it.

I think yes. To be honest, Machida is better than Rampage, he just had a bad night, and I fully believe that, and also, his style fits Jones' perfectly. Every area Jones has had the biggest success in, Machida has the best ability to nullify him in as well.

Should be an excellent fight, whether he deserves this fight or not.

[b']EDIT:[/b] I realized I did more than 2. lol

No, he doesn't deserve it. I will say that as a Machida fanatic. I thought he needed 2 more fights to get the shot. But, with EVERYBODY locked up and no fight for Machida, why not? Fans want it and it is a great style matchup.

But, I'm not complaining. I'm looking forward to Machida getting his belt back ;).

Archived