Diaz "conditioning"

grappleDMK

I must say something from all of the misinformation being spread about The Diaz brothers' "gas-tank". From hearing Joe Rogan ramble on, to hearing Matt Hughes agree and hearing most people say something about the triathlons that these two compete in. The brothers have the wrong type of conditioning for fighting. MMA like boxing and wrestling is largely an explosive-anaerobic sport. Being able to go at a lower level for one hour is nowhere near as important as being able to go at a higher level for 30 seconds to one minute.

Later

I must say something from all of the misinformation being spread about The Diaz brothers' "gas-tank". From hearing Joe Rogan ramble on' date=' to hearing Matt Hughes agree and hearing most people say something about the triathlons that these two compete in. The brothers have the wrong type of conditioning for fighting. MMA like boxing and wrestling is largely an explosive-anaerobic sport. Being able to go at a lower level for one hour is nowhere near as important as being able to go at a higher level for 30 seconds to one minute.

Later[/quote']

Here's the thing though. He doesn't fight like that. He fights sort of like a triathlete on crack.

Pepper, pepper pepper, BOOM rips a body shot, pepper, pepper, pepper...you get desperate and swing wildy BOOM big counter.

He mostly fights at a sustained mid to high pace but he's only sprinting at the right times.

Please this ain't football. He needs to go sustained for 25 mnutes in the championship fights he was in. This one fight with BJ he needs to go only for 15 but he trains for a solid 25 and the pressure he puts on is daunting.

Think it was NE vs SD where at one point the SD offence hadn't been on for 38 minutes real time, so you're very much right in that sense. Football is much more explosive, but only for 10 seconds at the most. MMA you need to be able to sustain the explosion for 5 mins

Think it was NE vs SD where at one point the SD offence hadn't been on for 38 minutes real time' date=' so you're very much right in that sense. Football is much more explosive, but only for 10 seconds at the most. MMA you need to be able to sustain the explosion for 5 mins[/quote']

That's true but it's still spurts here and there. Nobody on the planet can sprint for 5 mins straight without periods of lower intensity. Anything over a minute full throttle and you will build up too much lactic acid to process and when the adrenaline wears off you will crash.

Here's the thing though. He doesn't fight like that. He fights sort of like a triathlete on crack.

Pepper' date=' pepper pepper, BOOM rips a body shot, pepper, pepper, pepper...you get desperate and swing wildy BOOM big counter.

He mostly fights at a sustained mid to high pace but he's only sprinting at the right times.[/quote']

Well Said.

Diaz is a master of basically making you look silly while his cardio makes up for his strength. As Brock Lesnar on the other hand relies on his strength over cardio

maybe but when you do run triathlons you have an obvious advantage in the cardio department when it comes to well anything.

I used to agree with this line of thinking, however it has been proven in multiple studies that of all types of fitness, cardiovascular endurance or "cardio" has the least "carry-over" potential of any type of fitness. Basically, if you're an amazing distance athlete...you're just that, an amazing distance athlete it really doesn't help you in any other type of fitness

This thread is kinda dumb' date=' his fights speak for themselves, he doesnt get tired and he finishes fights[/quote']

Sorry you find my thread dumb, didn't have to read it. However, in MOST not all of the Diaz brothers' fights I see a fighter that just hangs around until the other guy wears himself out. Then I hear Joe Rogan babble on about Nick or Nate's ridiculous cardio. If I'm not mistaken Rory McDonald was breathing way heavier than Nick after their fight. Not a Diaz hater at all, just don't like mis-information.

Archived