i hate to say this because im a big fan of his

Furiousmat

But lyoto machida's striking is extremely overrated in my opinion. I like his style and personnality in but people are getting the false impression that his striking is the next big thing.

Understand me. He s got very good striking, his bjj from his back is great and agressive, he s got tremendous tdd and good throws. He s a complete fighter. But strikingwise he lacks something alot of fighters lack in the ufc : head movement. He really isnt that good at dodging hits he doesnt get touched because he keeps running. When he goes all out he doesnt really have the best efficiency with his hands and loses his stance.

Machida is a great fighter and probably #2 or 3 at lhw but unforrunately for him his style will get him nowhere against a guy like jones. I could see him destroying anyone else in the division but his runnong backwards style and his obvious sensitivity to pain will get him looking very bad in that fight.

the reason he doesnt use head movement is because his head is almost always out of the way. This is why when Shogun bum rushed him he got him quite easily. Jones will not have the problem of having to get in range, but Machida knows this and will train for it

Yeah I dont see it working on Jones. He is very defensive (Lyoto) and only counter

punches early in the rounds. He is then very elusive (running away) later in the rounds that

his opponent (A) gets frustrated and becomes more aggressive playing right into Lyoto's

gameplan and gets tagged and (B) His opponent knows he is losing due to Lyoto getting

a few shots in early in the rounds and then running away, so he knows he is down on the

Judges scorecard so he makes mistakes. IMO Jones could actually use Lyoto's strategy

against him by landing some good clean shots early and then making Machida come to

him. But what do I know I had Jones beating Rampage by TKO (halfway through 3rd

round)

Lyoto moves in and out but rarely strikes from angles. He is precise but not overpowering.

The distance he needs to keep to have snap on his punches is in the kill zone for elbows and flying knees from a lanky fighter like Jones.

Machida is going to need a lot faster than he has been in the past. Rampage was able to catch him with his boxing......

Machida was exposed in the second Sho-Gun fight.

He keeps his hands down while moving/running backwards in a straight line.

Jones will KO Him.

Machida will strike then pull out. Jones will wait for the pull out and push forward while swinging. Machida will get caught and drop.

Jones, TKO R2.

Machida was exposed in the second Sho-Gun fight.

He keeps his hands down while moving/running backwards in a straight line.

Jones will KO Him.

Machida will strike then pull out. Jones will wait for the pull out and push forward while swinging. Machida will get caught and drop.

Jones' date=' TKO R2.[/quote']

this would be an hella epic finish, percise timing for the win.

But lyoto machida's striking is extremely overrated in my opinion. I like his style and personnality in but people are getting the false impression that his striking is the next big thing.

Understand me. He s got very good striking' date=' his bjj from his back is great and agressive, he s got tremendous tdd and good throws. He s a complete fighter. But strikingwise he lacks something alot of fighters lack in the ufc : head movement. He really isnt that good at dodging hits he doesnt get touched because he keeps running. When he goes all out he doesnt really have the best efficiency with his hands and loses his stance.

Machida is a great fighter and probably #2 or 3 at lhw but unforrunately for him his style will get him nowhere against a guy like jones. I could see him destroying anyone else in the division but his runnong backwards style and his obvious sensitivity to pain will get him looking very bad in that fight.[/quote']

I would love to sig bet you on this. I'll take Machida, you take Jones.

Understand me. He s got very good striking' date=' his bjj from his back is great and agressive, he s got tremendous tdd and good throws. He s a complete fighter. But strikingwise he lacks something alot of fighters lack in the ufc : head movement. He really isnt that good at dodging hits he doesnt get touched because he keeps running. When he goes all out he doesnt really have the best efficiency with his hands and loses his stance.

Machida is a great fighter and probably #2 or 3 at lhw but unforrunately for him his style will get him nowhere against a guy like jones. I could see him destroying anyone else in the division but his runnong backwards style and his obvious sensitivity to pain will get him looking very bad in that fight.[/quote']

You have a misconsepton of head movement...it is not just left and right....its ducking and leaning back awell....two thing lyoto is really good at

The rest of your post is sound

Lyoto moves in and out but rarely strikes from angles. He is precise but not overpowering.

The distance he needs to keep to have snap on his punches is in the kill zone for elbows and flying knees from a lanky fighter like Jones.

Machida is going to need a lot faster than he has been in the past. Rampage was able to catch him with his boxing......

His precision is very...precise lol

You have a misconsepton of head movement...it is not just left and right....its ducking and leaning back awell....two thing lyoto is really good at

The rest of your post is sound

Well my point is.. to beat jones you need to stay on the inside. Machida fights from the outside. And if you compare him to Silva or even rampage in his last fight, they both (especially silva) fight and dodge from the pocket, while lyoto pretty much just does everything in his power tostay out of it and runs backwards instead of standing his ground.

Archived