How many martial arts styles are REALLY represented in MMA?

HoytBow1

Outside of a couple of shared moves as an amatuer viewer I pretty much can identify kickboxing, wrestling and jiu jitsu as the main forms mixed in with a little muay thai when I watch MMA bouts.

Really don't see aikido, judo, kung fu, karate, tae kwon do and the numerous variants as the type of style being predominately used in the UFC. It's either wrestlers trying to ground and pound, strikers trying to kickbox or jits experts trying to submit the opponet with a few knees thrown in here or there in all styles.

Please educate me.

There are plenty of thai boxing in mma...almost every leg kick you see is thai based

Judo is there...the top judo guys normaly dont use it much like karo and sexyama cuz they like to bang

Jones has shown some good judo

Sambo...is an off shot of judo but with alot of other style in it.....fedor used it really go back in the day and arlovski was good when he wanted to use it

but it can be a domanite style if more top level sambo guys came over

Karate...look at lyoto and that bout all u got

And cung le has the kung fu for yah (forvget how to spell his style)

But as the years go on and more ppl become freestylist it will be harder to notice the single styles

really dude? The arts that are used in an MMA fight have to do with 2 things, the matchup of the fight, and The Size of your body.

First Your not going to see Gray Maynard try all his energy on trying to submit a guy like BJ Penn, just would be stupid.

The more preferred style of MMA also focuses on the fighter himself ,his body figure that was given to him/her by God. Example; short legs with long arms, long legs short arms, flexbility etc.

You have to be strong in all areas and you use the strongest to your ability. Its like saying Jon Jones should box like Frankie Edgar. They just arent proportioned the same. Frankie can throw combos as they are quicker punches with a shorter wind up. As Jones as longer arms, Edgar could probably throw 4 punches to Jones's 2 punches

people may take 1-2 moves from those "random" disicplines and add them to an overall MMA gameplan or attak.

No one would come out in 100% Kung Fu' date=' but maybe they may use 1-2 Kung Fu moves if the opportunity came across.[/quote']

This....its become outdated to master one style then learn another

Major striking arts

Boxing, Kickboxing & MuayThai, Karate

Major grappling arts

Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Sambo

I think every fighter should have two core arts for both striking and grappling.

The most effective imo

Striking: Boxing/MuayThai

Grappling: Wrestling/BJJ

That's not to say they will not implement moves taken from other arts but those are the foundation i would say the majority of new fighters need to have to be effective.

Major striking arts

Boxing' date=' Kickboxing & MuayThai, Karate

Major grappling arts

Wrestling, Judo, BJJ, Sambo

I think every fighter should have two core arts for both striking and grappling.

The most effective imo

Striking: Boxing/MuayThai

Grappling: Wrestling/BJJ

That's not to say they will not implement moves taken from other arts but those are the foundation i would say the majority of new fighters need to have to be effective.[/quote']

I agree...i favor thai over boxing if your bjj game is on point....boxing has to many holes for me

Good bjj blends well with muay thai

Bad bjj but good wrestling blends well with boxing

Boxing, duh

Wrestling, duh

BJJ, duh

Muay Thai, duh

Judo, Karo Parisyan perfected Judo for MMA, as far as modern-ish MMA goes.

Greco-Roman, Jon Jones uses Greco throws, several guys use the lateral drop

Shotokan Karate, Machida made this popular prior and during his title run.

Kyokushin Karate, GSP use to use this alot, prior to the Serra lucky punch

Capoeira, Anderson Silva has used the foot work, don't know if he's actually attempt any strikes.

I'm pretty sure I've seen anderson silva use atleast 5 - 10 different types of stand up martial arts.

Muaythai obviously. Boxing obviously. I've seen him do the capoeira ginga movement vs Maia and a few others. He also has a background in capoiera.

He did some aikido hand movements against Okami which he no doubt picked up from Segal. He also uses the karate principle of full body evasive ( tai sabaki ) movement to evade a centerline attack and counter attack on a dominant angle which im sure Machida has shared with him.

I've also seen a little JKD ( Bruce Lee ) in some of his movements.

Muaythai obviously. Boxing obviously. I've seen him do the capoeira ginga movement vs Maia. He also has a background in capoiera.

He did some aikido hand movements against Okama which he no doubt picked up from Segal. He also uses the karate principle of full body evasive ( tai sabaki ) movement to evade a centerline attack and counter attack on a dominant angle which im sure Machida has shared with him.

I've also seen a little JKD ( Bruce Lee ) in some of his movements.

akido aswell

It depends I guess, I just think the traditional martial arts need to adjust a little more (than boxing/muay thai/wrestling/bjj) and work on tdd and i think we would see more traditional martial arts. Its more than possible tho that if they kept it in their world they prob could be successful. Machida is the best example.

Archived