Question about knee kicks

sir_rebral

Before you all think not the Jones debate again. I just wanna know are they serious enough of an injury to warrant disallowing them.

I know they are legal at the moment and some fighters use them.

What are the views on the forum on whether they should be used. I personally think they should be banned due to the fact I'd hate to see a fighter go down in agony from a knee kick. For me a head kick or face kick is different. you have your hands to protect you. The knee kick is pretty much undefendable while looking at a guys face.

Serious answers only pls

it should be illegal....not cool, just like back of the head strikes and spine strikes are not allowed....

If any of you watched football you know what il say here, willis mgahee, do we really want a chicken leg injury in mma to **** someones career? really?

PS: no a leg lock is not the same thing....

They sould definately should be illegal because they could potentially end a fighers career' date=' but the probably is, how is the ref supposed to tell if it is a knee kick or not?[/quote']

...when u throw a front kick to someones knee, thats a knee kick if u hit the side its not gonna break

...when u throw a front kick to someones knee' date=' thats a knee kick if u hit the side its not gonna break[/quote']

what about a spinning kick to the knee is that illegal?

what about a kick to the side of the knee is that illegal?

What about a knee to a knee is that illegal?

it should be illegal....not cool' date=' just like back of the head strikes and spine strikes are not allowed....

If any of you watched football you know what il say here, willis mgahee, do we really want a chicken leg injury in mma to **** someones career? really?

PS: [b']no a leg lock is not the same thing.[/b]...

I agree. same with arm bars. You have the opportunity to tap . Its up to you how long you want to endure it for

Injuries will happen in MMA that will make you squirm in your seat to see them' date=' regardless of what rules they put into place.

Case in point?

[img']http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/308075/c-hill.jpg[/img]

no one is saying " i dnt want injuries" ****...its a COMBAT SPORT...but it still doesnt mean you should blatently attempt to blow a joint on purpose that could be career ending...that shouldnt be allowed as back of the head shots and spine hits arent allowed...

And it should be a fighter's responsibility to train to have a way to defend his knees if someone attacks them with frontal kicks. It's a perfectly legal strike, and honestly a somewhat impractical one. Taking away too many attack options really starts to limit what we will see in MMA and I don't want that.

And it should be a fighter's responsibility to train to have a way to defend his knees if someone attacks them with frontal kicks. It's a perfectly legal strike' date=' and honestly a somewhat impractical one. Taking away too many attack options really starts to limit what we will see in MMA and I don't want that.[/quote']

again no one wants to take away the basis of MMA, different styles taken together and used together...but no one wants to see ppl hurt on purpose for hurtings sake...a front kick to the knee has one intention, POP THE KNEE BACK AND **** HIM UP. a leg kick, is to slow his movment, take away power... a punch to the temple/face is to KO him and stop the fight and knock him unconcious, a kneebar or an armbar is to get the fighter to tap(GIVE HIM A CHANCE), no aspect of MMA is to blatently hurt someone, or to end a career thats why they dnt allow back head strikes or spine strikes.....it shouldnt be legal, there is not actual way of saying it should be with a good explanation....

Its fine' date=' guys should be able to adjust to it. Jones just really manipulates/abuses his reach he is like the only fighter to be able to do this.[/quote']

Exactly. Few fighters have the speed and reach to ABUSE the legality of this attack. If someone finds a way to use his speed or his reach to keep someone at a distance so they can counterpunch or pick him apart, good for them. It is on a fighter to defend themselves and be aware of what attacks come their way and how to defend them.

The simple fact that these strikes are so rare is a perfect example of why they are so hard to use and not worth banning.

Injuries will happen in MMA that will make you squirm in your seat to see them' date=' regardless of what rules they put into place.

Case in point?

[img']http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/308075/c-hill.jpg[/img]

this is why martial artists train there bodies for years and decades. Corey "whats his name" had only been training for a few short years so he never built up the bone density to withstand this perfectly blocked leg kick. and yes they should stay legal!!!!!!!!

what about a spinning kick to the knee is that illegal?

what about a kick to the side of the knee is that illegal?

What about a knee to a knee is that illegal?

side of the knee ya, spinning kick would still hit the side so ya, a knee to the knee wouldnt break it. its the front/side kicks that jones was throwing that can break ur knee for life

again no one wants to take away the basis of MMA' date=' different styles taken together and used together...but no one wants to see ppl hurt on purpose for hurtings sake...a front kick to the knee has one intention, POP THE KNEE BACK AND **** HIM UP. a leg kick, is to slow his movment, take away power... a punch to the temple/face is to KO him and stop the fight and knock him unconcious, a kneebar or an armbar is to get the fighter to tap(GIVE HIM A CHANCE), no aspect of MMA is to blatently hurt someone, or to end a career thats why they dnt allow back head strikes or spine strikes.....it shouldnt be legal, there is not actual way of saying it should be with a good explanation....[/quote']

Nuff said. I was about to write something like that. We need to realize the difference between a muay thai leg kick and a front kick directly in the knee. Great answer

why dnt we just allow palm to the nose hits' date=' **** it lets allow head spiking...this isnt barbarism its a sport....[/quote']

Punch someone in the mouth, kick someone in the side of the head, knee someone in the face, snap someone's arm with an arm lock, beat someone into unconsciousness, but let's keep it civilized!

Punch someone in the mouth' date=' kick someone in the side of the head, knee someone in the face, snap someone's arm with an arm lock, beat someone into unconsciousness, but let's keep it civilized![/quote']

pretty much...if you were trying to be sarcastic u failed at it...just like in football ur not allowed to tackle someone directly to there knees becouse its a career ending injury...

imager.php?id=1163120&t=o GIFSoup

I think it should be illegal. Nobody wants to see their favorite fighters career ended shortly because of a strike like that.

It is such an underused strike anyway that its not like it would change the sport significantly. Just do away with them.

pretty much...if you were trying to be sarcastic u failed at it...just like in football ur not allowed to tackle someone directly to there knees becouse its a career ending injury...

imager.php?id=1163120&t=o GIFSoup

You are wrong. It's legal to tackle someone at the knees, except quarterbacks. I was being sarcastic, but it should be legal to kick to the knees. It's nowhere near the most dangerous strikes in MMA. Also, McGahee came back, and is still in the NFL.

You are wrong. It's legal to tackle someone at the knees' date=' except quarterbacks. I was being sarcastic, but it should be legal to kick to the knees. It's nowhere near the most dangerous strikes in MMA. Also, McGahee came back, and is still in the NFL.[/quote']

im not stating its the most dangerous but its a strike that can end a career a complete knee blow out can end you,yes mgahee came back but after long rehab and he got LUCKY....taking away this strike wont screw mma up but it can help it in the long run from having ppl get seriously injured...

This is fighting sport guys...fighters know the dangers of walking into the ring or cage

I had a bad knee injury...its sucks and takes long to to back from but there is a way to protect yourself...i did the wrong thing and i got hurt...my fualt...no one elses

Learn to defend knee kick and u have nothing to worry bout

Ernesto hoost has won fights be4 when defending kicks to the knees....he would take to point of his knee and put it where the shin would make contact with the kick...this is a defence move that can break the guys shin

Look up

Ernesto hoost vs. Ray sefo to understand me better

Punch someone in the mouth' date=' kick someone in the side of the head, knee someone in the face, snap someone's arm with an arm lock, beat someone into unconsciousness, but let's keep it civilized![/quote']

Hmm.

I see your sarcastic point, but I raise you the fact that hundreds of punches are thrown each fight by both fighters, and no long term damage has be spotted.

But it only takes a single front knee kick to blow out someones knee. Knees aren't suppose to bend that way, at least with a punch or kick to the head, you can roll with it.

This is fighting sport guys...fighters know the dangers of walking into the ring or cage

I had a bad knee injury...its sucks and takes long to to back from but there is a way to protect yourself...i did the wrong thing and i got hurt...my fualt...no one elses

Learn to defend knee kick and u have nothing to worry bout

Ernesto hoost has won fights be4 when defending kicks to the knees....he would take to point of his knee and put it where the shin would make contact with the kick...this is a defence move that can break the guys shin

Look up

Ernesto hoost vs. Ray sefo to understand me better

But with this logic, all things, weapons, eye gouges, small joint manipulations, ect. should be legal, fighters just need to know how to defend, otherwise it's "their fault".

And I believe the topic is about the front knee kicks ala Anderson Silva (JBJ stealing), not a leg kick thrown to the knee.

But with this logic' date=' all things, weapons, eye gouges, small joint manipulations, ect. should be legal, fighters just need to know how to defend, otherwise it's "their fault".

And I believe the topic is about the front knee kicks ala Anderson Silva (JBJ stealing), not a leg kick thrown to the knee.[/quote']

EXACTLY!

:rolleyes:might as well make pinky bending legal! :rolleyes:

Hmm.

I see your sarcastic point' date=' but I raise you the fact that hundreds of punches are thrown each fight by both fighters, and no long term damage has be spotted.

But it only takes a single front knee kick to blow out someones knee. Knees aren't suppose to bend that way, at least with a punch or kick to the head, you can roll with it.[/quote']

A take down attempt can do just the same as any kick to the knee....ppl dont go into a fight trying to really hurt the person to where it effects you long term (well unless ur names marvelous melvin mandolf u do) but things happen...its up to the victim to defend themself

Refure to my post on page before this one

But with this logic' date=' all things, weapons, eye gouges, small joint manipulations, ect. should be legal, fighters just need to know how to defend, otherwise it's "their fault".

And I believe the topic is about the front knee kicks ala Anderson Silva (JBJ stealing), not a leg kick thrown to the knee.[/quote']

My bad i missed this post

Did i say all those were ok...no i didnt..now ur just grasping for straws

Ur right i said kicks to knees...for the kicks ur talking bout the same can be done but u will not damage the other persons foot...meet his force with urs and no damage will be dont to u or him

Hmm.

I see your sarcastic point' date=' but I raise you the fact that hundreds of punches are thrown each fight by both fighters, and no long term damage has be spotted.

But it only takes a single front knee kick to blow out someones knee. Knees aren't suppose to bend that way, at least with a punch or kick to the head, you can roll with it.[/quote']

Hundreds of punches are thrown each fight with no long term damage? You can't be serious. When MMA gets a history going, the brain damage is going to show up, just like boxing. MMA fighters don't take as many punches as boxers, but they don't have as much padding on their fists, and they have no padding at all on their elbows, knees, and feet. Just look at Wanderlai, he has definite signs of brain damage.

My bad i missed this post

Did i say all those were ok...no i didnt..now ur just grasping for straws

Ur right i said kicks to knees...for the kicks ur talking bout the same can be done but u will not damage the other persons foot...meet his force with urs and no damage will be dont to u or him

So who's to say whether or not what is and isn't okay?

Poking the eye doesn't always cause damage, it happens a lot, and unless your Rumble Johnson, you've survived just fine. Just defend yourself better :rolleyes:

This is sport.

Every strike needs to have a purpose. So what's the purpose of the knee kick? Obviously it's NOT to break the knee, but it could very well happen, and probably will if it becomes more popular in MMA. But back to the purpose, to keep range? That's what a leg kick and jab are for. There are better and safer alternatives to keeping range.

Yes, takedowns can result in the same thing, but that's generally only if something goes tremendously wrong. With that knee kick, your TRYING to force the knee to go in the wrong direction.

Hundreds of punches are thrown each fight with no long term damage? You can't be serious. When MMA gets a history going' date=' the brain damage is going to show up, just like boxing. MMA fighters don't take as many punches as boxers, but they don't have as much padding on their fists, and they have no padding at all on their elbows, knees, and feet. Just look at Wanderlai, he has definite signs of brain damage.[/quote']

Agreed but in wandys case he stated back at chute boxe ever sparring was full on like a real fight where he koed and was koed and with his style thats alot of blows he took outside the ring

Kicks to the knee should stay in...if its taken away its just another handicap on the strikers

It's really quite nasty what a kick like that could do if landed squarely in the knee with enough power behind it. Definitely ban-worthy.

So is a H-bomd to any fighter...u goin to tell hendo to stop...we all luagh at that pic

Hundreds of punches are thrown each fight with no long term damage? You can't be serious. When MMA gets a history going' date=' the brain damage is going to show up, just like boxing. MMA fighters don't take as many punches as boxers, but they don't have as much padding on their fists, and they have no padding at all on their elbows, knees, and feet. Just look at Wanderlai, he has definite signs of brain damage.[/quote']

Because he has been KO'd a few too many times. Plus he is one of many many many fighters to be punched in the face. Like I said, if you increase the frequency of the knee kicks, then you will probably see more knee injuries.

Agreed but in wandys case he stated back at chute boxe ever sparring was full on like a real fight where he koed and was koed and with his style thats alot of blows he took outside the ring

Kicks to the knee should stay in...if its taken away its just another handicap on the strikers

So is a H-bomd to any fighter...u goin to tell hendo to stop...we all luagh at that pic

ur not even making sense with your posts anymore....

Shields was fine from a full on H-Bomb.

It will only take one completely hyper-extended knee from an actual kick with power behind it to get it banned.

Plus' date=' go ask most of the fighters Hendo has KO'd how they are, probably just fine.

[img']http://promma.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/anderson_silva_knee-stomp-leites.jpg[/img]

"By this logic, all things, weapons, eye gouges, etc." is a completely false, and stupid, statement. How can you jump from knee kicks to weapons? I guess you ran out of legitimate arguments.

So who's to say whether or not what is and isn't okay?

Poking the eye doesn't always cause damage' date=' it happens a lot, and unless your Rumble Johnson, you've survived just fine. Just defend yourself better :rolleyes:

This is sport.

Every strike needs to have a purpose. So what's the purpose of the knee kick? Obviously it's NOT to break the knee, but it could very well happen, and probably will if it becomes more popular in MMA. But back to the purpose, to keep range? That's what a leg kick and jab are for. There are better and safer alternatives to keeping range.

Yes, takedowns can result in the same thing, but that's generally only if something goes tremendously wrong. With that knee kick, your TRYING to force the knee to go in the wrong direction.[/quote']

guess u never heard of the pat smith takedown (could be pat simpson takedown dont remeber) but its a takedown where you shot low and with ur arms u keep the guys target foot in place on the mat(or make sure he does not step over you) you then drive ur shoulder into thats target foot knee cuasing it to hyper extend...this is a common take down and i think its the one randy used on james toney not sure

I have used this takedown and its nasty...also had it done to me..its is legal to use

Also the kick to the knee is ment to keep rande and damage the knee hoping fluid to go to the knee over time

Some dont use it for this perpose some do

guess u never heard of the pat smith takedown (could be pat simpson takedown dont remeber) but its a takedown where you shot low and with ur arms u keep the guys target foot in place on the mat(or make sure he does not step over you) you then drive ur shoulder into thats target foot knee cuasing it to hyper extend...this is a common take down and i think its the one randy used on james toney not sure

I have used this takedown and its nasty...also had it done to me..its is legal to use

Also the kick to the knee is ment to keep rande and damage the knee hoping fluid to go to the knee over time

Some dont use it for this perpose some do

no...people dnt do it cuz its dirty....

"By this logic' date=' all things, weapons, eye gouges, etc." is a completely false, and stupid, statement. How can you jump from knee kicks to weapons? I guess you ran out of legitimate arguments.[/quote']

How is it false and stupid?

All he was saying is learn to defend against said strike, and I guess in some way, anyone could agree. If you can defend against it, shouldn't it be legal?

"By this logic' date=' all things, weapons, eye gouges, etc." is a completely false, and stupid, statement. How can you jump from knee kicks to weapons? I guess you ran out of legitimate arguments.[/quote']

Adleast im not the only one seing this

Yes the should be an remain legal.

Fighters must adapt or succumb. If we start banning things because a guy might get injured' date=' where does it stop?

In the words of Jason Statham in "Snatch"; "This ain't a tickling contest Tommy. These blokes are out to hurt each other."[/quote']

To many it is

there pretty much is no argument....kicks to the knee should be banned becouse the SOLE PURPOSE is to make the knee hyperextend' date=' which is a career ending injury...should be banned...

before you *****es start attacking NO! a ****ing leg lock is not the same...[/quote']

A knee bar can case the same damage and it was invented to do so....the point of bjj was to injury a fighter so he would stop...not to make him tap (im not saying hold it after the tap)

Ppl fear palhares ground game cuz he uses it to hurt you which is how it was ment to be used...he will hurt you if u dont tap

Yes the should be an remain legal.

Fighters must adapt or succumb. If we start banning things because a guy might get injured' date=' where does it stop?

In the words of Jason Statham in "Snatch"; "This ain't a tickling contest Tommy. These blokes are out to hurt each other."[/quote']

But this is sport, not a dirty boxing business about promoters getting rich. That's why we have a ref, points, and judges

Archived