edgar is now p4p no.2 gsp please move aside

I_am_p4p_1

yes dana white has said it. hes the president of the ufc so hes right. edgar is now p4p #2 . if gsp got hit with a uppercut like that, he wouldve either tapped instantly because he wants a "longer career" , or just turtled and gotten tkoed. edgar takes gsp's place. all of u that say edgar is boring cannot say that anymore. we only have one boring ufc champ, and its good old gsp

I bet GSP calls out Frankie to get another win over another lightweight in another one of those stupid champion vs champion fights that GSP always seems to be a part of in order to try and get that p4p ranking back.., Unfortunately for him he'd lose to Frankie.

Not to mention that GSP will continually duck anderson by refusing to move to 185 at least until Anderson makes a permanent move to 205... even though it won't make a difference. GSP would get smashed by Sonnen and Belfort.

I bet GSP calls out Frankie to get another win over another lightweight in another one of those stupid champion vs champion fights that GSP always seems to be a part of in order to try and get that p4p ranking back..' date=' Unfortunately for him he'd lose to Frankie.

Not to mention that GSP will continually duck anderson by refusing to move to 185 at least until Anderson makes a permanent move to 205... even though it won't make a difference. GSP would get smashed by Sonnen and Belfort.[/quote']

Agreed 100% man . gsp fan boys get ur head out of his *** his no.2 p4p status is gone ' I'll go so far as to say he's no.11 , he doesn't deserve a top 10 spot

yes dana white has said it. hes the president of the ufc so hes right. edgar is now p4p #2 . if gsp got hit with a uppercut like that' date=' he wouldve either tapped instantly because he wants a "longer career" , or just turtled and gotten tkoed. edgar takes gsp's place. all of u that say edgar is boring cannot say that anymore. we only have one boring ufc champ, and its good old gsp[/quote']

You actually thought GSP was p4p No.2 ?

Not even top 20 in reality/.

GSP getting passed by a guy who's 1-0-1 in the past15 months. With 2 rounds in those fights going 10-8 against him with multiple knock downs? Nah

I agree that GSPs grip on top 3 spot is slipping, and theres easily room for Jones, Cruz, Velasquez(post JDS) to pass him. But Edgar? The guys fought 2 guys in 2 years. I dont think he makes top 10.

GSP getting passed by a guy who's 1-0-1 in the past15 months. With 2 rounds in those fights going 10-8 against him with multiple knock downs? Nah

I agree that GSPs grip on top 3 spot is slipping' date=' and theres easily room for Jones, Cruz, Velasquez(post JDS) to pass him. But Edgar? The guys fought 2 guys in 2 years. I dont think he makes top 10.[/quote']

SHHH to much logic in post .. head hurts now >.<

yes dana white has said it. hes the president of the ufc so hes right. edgar is now p4p #2 . if gsp got hit with a uppercut like that' date=' he wouldve either tapped instantly because he wants a "longer career" , or just turtled and gotten tkoed. edgar takes gsp's place. all of u that say edgar is boring cannot say that anymore. we only have one boring ufc champ, and its good old gsp[/quote']

Ur dumb bro.

Frankie only had 3 knock out & 3 submission and after tonight knock out ur going all crazy lol ur new bro?

GSP Defended his title longer and has 8 knock out, 9 decision and 5 submission.

shut ur face noob!

I agree that GSPs grip on top 3 spot is slipping' date=' and theres easily room for Jones, Cruz, Velasquez(post JDS) to pass him. But Edgar? The guys fought 2 guys in 2 years. I dont think he makes top 10.[/quote']

This. I can't believe Dana White is so stupid to say this. Edgar beat a guy who now has twice given up after a monster first round. Maynard doesn't have heart and any other challengers will put on better fights and very likely would finish Edgar if they ever stun him like Maynard did.

Meanwhile GSP has been beating everyone put in front of him at WW. It hasn't even been close.

I won't bother to argue P4P who's 1 and who isn't, but to ever imply Edgar is a better fighter than GSP is pure nonsense.

Yes Dana, you pumping up Edgar is promoter ********.

I bet GSP calls out Frankie to get another win over another lightweight in another one of those stupid champion vs champion fights that GSP always seems to be a part of in order to try and get that p4p ranking back..' date=' Unfortunately for him he'd lose to Frankie.

Not to mention that GSP will continually duck anderson by refusing to move to 185 at least until Anderson makes a permanent move to 205... even though it won't make a difference. GSP would get smashed by Sonnen and Belfort.[/quote']

why does GSP as to go up to fight Anderson ?

Did anderson ever go up in weight class to fight a champion ? not just cans.

why does GSP as to go up to fight Anderson ?

Did anderson ever go up in weight class to fight a champion ? not just cans.

Why is cans so overused on this forum? He beat a former UFC LightHeavyweight champion, so Anderson went up in weight and fought a former champion. No one is going to bother reading what you write when you start calling former UFC champions cans.

MMA

Pound for pound rankings

1.) Anderson Silva

2.) Georges St Pierre

3.) Jose Aldo

4.) Jon Jones

5.) Frank Edgar

LOL @ Jon Jones in your top 5.

1. Anderson

2. Jose

3. Frankie

4. BJ

5. George

6. Cain

7. Cruz

8. Jones

For all the haters, the reason I still have BJ in the top 5 is because

A. He has only lost to one man in the last few years who coincidentally is argued to be no.2 p4p

B. He's fighting in a weight division above his own

C. He's earned himself a no.1 contender fight in that division

If all it takes to be an exciting fighter is 1 good performance then gsp's done that much more often than edgar.

Also the competition at lw is crap.

Agreed

Great post

Some logic in a post... I like it. As a gsp fan its hard to admit but gsp is close to loosing his top 3 spot he has had for so long. To many other champs winning by finish and dominance. I think if gsp just wants to stay top 3 either he needs a finish in his condit fight or he needs to hope sonnen beats silva. I think those two scenarios put him in top 3 for 2012

Agreed 100% man . gsp fan boys get ur head out of his *** his no.2 p4p status is gone ' I'll go so far as to say he's no.11 ' date=' he doesn't deserve a top 10 spot[/quote']

lmao edgar beats penn twice by decision.. has a draw with maynard, then finishes maynard on their 3rd fight and hes now ranked p4p #2, hahahahahahahahaha what a joke.. i wouldnt put edar even in the top p4p, i dont see anything spectacular about that guy.

lmao edgar beats penn twice by decision.. has a draw with maynard' date=' then finishes maynard on their 3rd fight and hes now ranked p4p #2, hahahahahahahahaha what a joke.. i wouldnt put edar even in the top p4p, i dont see anything spectacular about that guy.[/quote']

You mi\ust have missed the fine details in the post fight press conference. One of the reasons is that Frankie is much smaller than all of the opponents he faces, which is in steep contrast to GSP coming in at 195 lbs on fight night and being much larger than his opponents. This is why he is being ranked higher than GSP combined with GSP's subpar performances.

as a GSP fan I'd have to agree... while GSP has a much longer resume of destruction and has been more dominant, when you consider the weight factor of it all, it makes sense that Edgar should be above GSP... GSP has been said to weigh anywhere from 185-195 lbs before the weight cut, whereas Edgar weighs 155 lbs with no cut at all... for GSP, he's a WW that could easily step up to MW, whereas Edgar is a LW that could easily step down to FW... so when you factor that massive gap in size, I do believe Edgar is P4P better than GSP when it comes down to the hypothetical question of who would win at the same size...

You mi\ust have missed the fine details in the post fight press conference. One of the reasons is that Frankie is much smaller than all of the opponents he faces' date=' which is in steep contrast to GSP coming in at 195 lbs on fight night and being much larger than his opponents. This is why he is being ranked higher than [b']GSP combined with GSP's subpar performances.[/b]

the bolded made me laugh... has a single bad outing against Shields because he went blind in one eye, still wins regardless, and because of that has "subpar performances"... despite his lack of finishing, the dominance he can show in his fights are far from "subpar"... as far as I'm concerned GSP has been performing better than Aldo has recently, even with the Shields fight...

the bolded made me laugh... has a single bad outing against Shields because he went blind in one eye' date=' still wins regardless, and because of that has "subpar performances"... despite his lack of finishing, the dominance he can show in his fights are far from "subpar"... as far as I'm concerned GSP has been performing better than Aldo has recently, even with the Shields fight...[/quote']

The Koscheck and Dan Hardy fight sucked too.

The Koscheck and Dan Hardy fight sucked too.

they were one sided beatdowns... far from subpar... and you have to credit Hardy for the fight not being finished, GSP did everything right trying to finish aside from breaking the guys arm...

Aldo's win over Florian is more a subpar performance... even then we've seen worse...

they were one sided beatdowns... far from subpar... and you have to credit Hardy for the fight not being finished' date=' GSP did everything right trying to finish aside from breaking the guys arm...

Aldo's win over Florian is more a subpar performance... even then we've seen worse...[/quote']

Actually he didn't apply the arm properly. If that isn't good enough to descibe it as a subpar performance, I don't know what is. GSP commented on it at the post fight conference after the fight. GSP said that after the fight he practiced that position with his jujitsu coach to cprrect what he did wrong.

Actually he didn't apply the arm properly. If that isn't good enough to descibe it as a subpar performance' date=' I don't know what is. GSP commented on it at the post fight conference after the fight. GSP said that after the fight he practiced that position with his jujitsu coach to cprrect what he did wrong.[/quote']

when I saw that kimura, I thought Hardy's arm was going to break... even if the armbar and kimura weren't perfect, most people would have tapped but Hardy fought it off like a boss... and the beauty of mma is that most things aren't perfect because there are so many other factors to consider... hardly a subpar performance... are all failed submissions grounds for calling performance subpar now? come on...

1. Anderson

2. Jose

3. Frankie

4. BJ

5. George

6. Cain

7. Cruz

8. Jones

For all the haters' date=' the reason I still have BJ in the top 5 is because

A. He has only lost to one man in the last few years who coincidentally is argued to be no.2 p4p

C. He's earned himself a no.1 contender fight in that division[/quote']

You have Cain over Jones? Cain doesn't have any title defenses.

I think Dana White was being a prisoner of the moment, Silva is number one and GSP is still number two and I think it will stay that way until one of them loses.

Edgar is without question in the top six P4P, Silva and GSP are one and two and after that it gets very hard to rank from three to six with Aldo, Cruz, Edgar, and Jones.

In time Jon Jones could one day be the best P4P but IMO he still needs more big wins to get into the top 5 but I think he will get those wins soon.

My Top 10 Pound-For-Pound:

1.) Anderson Silva

2.) Georges St.-Pierre

3.) Jose Aldo Jr.

4.) Dominick Cruz

5.) Frankie Edgar

6.) Jon Jones

7.) Cain Velasquez

8.) Jon Fitch

9.) Rashad Evans

Tied-10.) Gray Maynard

Tied-10.) Gilbert Melendez

The fact that Edgar is always the smaller fighter is point. It is Pound for Pound ranking we are talking about. Silva is a big MW he could fight at HW at his walking around weight, Jones could make HW easy, GSP could make MW easy , Aldo could make WW np , Edgar has to put weight on for LW.

He is beating guys much bigger then him and has been doing it his whole career so he has to get some credit for that.

I think Pound for Pound is a little misleading. Skill wise maybe Edgar isnt #2 behind Silva when you look at it that way but until Silva stops cutting weight and starts fight guys bigger then him and winning then its hard to compare.

My P4P list based on Skill

1 - Silva

2 - GSP

3 - Jones

4 - Cain

5 - Aldo

My P4P List based on just straight up fighting spirit / heart / badassery

1- Edgar

2- Penn

3 -Cain

1- AS

2- GSP

3- Jones

4- Aldo

5- Cruz

6- Frankie

7- Cain

8- JDS

9- Rashad

10- Shogun

again...here comes my logic....

Since his utter humiliating destruction at the hands of Machida, which might have been the most lop sided title fight in UFC history (cue up sanchez penn #1), Evans has rattled of 3 unimpressive wins.

2 wins, where he fought hurt, and out of shape guys, and the only damage in either fight was against Evans. He sneaks out 2 wins over top 15 guys. Impressive, but top 10 fighter in the world impressive?

But over 2 years since that Machida fight, 2 YEARS! he beat up an old man, and snuck out with 2 wins. With inactivity, and unimpressive wins, over unimpressive competition, how can this guy be top 10?

The Griffin fight, the highlight of Evans career, only 5 fights ago. WAS ALMOST 3 YEARS AGO! At this rate, Evans only has about 3 fights left in his career.

talk about coasting on past accomplishments. Hes a great fighter, dont get me wrong, and could easily be a top 10 in skill. But to make this list, you have to be fighting the best, beating the best on a consistent basis. Tito Ortiz is not the best.

Evans may be the only fighter ever whos ranking goes up with not fighting.

when I saw that kimura' date=' I thought Hardy's arm was going to break... even if the armbar and kimura weren't perfect, most people would have tapped but Hardy fought it off like a boss... and the beauty of mma is that most things aren't perfect because there are so many other factors to consider... hardly a subpar performance... are all failed submissions grounds for calling performance subpar now? come on...[/quote']

Improperly performed techniques in the octagon is subpar. Am I suppose to say that was a flawless performance?

I think Edgar should be very high because he is so small for his weight class and is beating people bigger than him, but I don't think he is passed GSP yet.

GSP has dominated his weight class for much longer than Edgar, althought he is a big WW and Edgar is a small LW. This was Edgars best performance of his title run by far because he actually got the finish. I know everyone here seems to base all thoughts on a fighter on their last fight and nothing else, but Edgar just had a draw in his last fight.

People may see GSP as a big WW or a boring fighter and they are reasonable points, but he has not been in danger at all in 6 titles defenses, which is extremely impressive. Edgar almost got knocked out many times in his last two fights. Trust me I think Edgar is awesome, don't get me wrong, but almost getting finished twice in two fights has shown weaknesses guys like GSP and Anderson usually do not show.

I agree part of that is because he is so undersized, but he needs a few more wins before he is number 2 p4p. Keep in mind this is Edgars first finish in a title fight, if he starts finishing more top contenders then he is number 2 p4p. For now because of how long GSP has dominated and how little danger he has been against top competition he deserves the number 2 spot.

I do agree though that GSP should be finishing fights though, that is why I have him number 2 behind Anderson. Anderson and GSP have both had very long dominant runs, but Anderson finishes fights, which GSP has not done, which is why Anderson is number 1 and GSP is number 2.

As for other guys like Aldo, Jones and Cruz, I think Edgar is just a step ahead of them, because he is the only one so undersized for his weight class and has beaten guys like BJ Penn and Gray Maynard who are elite level competition. Aldo was my former number 3, but he seems a little off to his previous vicious standard in his last 2 fights and he is a big FW. Edgar and Aldo are probably the same weight inbetween fights and I could be wrong, but my belief is Edgar would win if those two fought at 155 or at 145.

In this post I discussed my opinions on the top 5 p4p list, but the nature of p4p is its very subjective, so of course a lot of people will disagree and present their own arguments, which are valid. I could be wrong about everything I said, but its just my opinion.

I do P4P rankings like this

Last fight performance is worth 50%

2nd last fight is 25%

3rd last fight is 15%

4th last fight is 10%

Any wins or losses beyond that 4 fight window are sort of useless unless they were a dominant loss or win.

Then i calculate performance by domination of the other fight. This is done by outclassing in all aspects. If theres a quick KO, its hard to gauge skill, but the win is a win. I think a 2nd round KO where your slowly turning it on and finally go in for the kill is much more impressive than a koscheck style swing anywhere and everywhere and hope it lands approach. Hence Silva being #1P4P. GSP goes high on the list because each fight, yah he may not get a finish, but its 100% clear who the better fighter is. Silva showcases that, but gets the finish as well.

And just as important as performance, is quality of opponent. A beating over a can is not nearly as important as a split decision over a top contender. Although you dont lose any points with the quick finish of the can, you dont gain much in my books. Consider Silva vs Irvin....great win....but hes so low on the rankings, that the win doesnt help, and doesnt hurt.

That is my criteria for P4P rankings

Last 4 fights

Penn

Penn

Maynard

Maynard

Not enough variety in opponents, and 1 draw. Top guys, but its almost like 2 10 round fights.

Lost many rounds, and a couple by 10-8. performances are mixed.

Edgar is put in a tough place, but doesnt pass with flying colours. More like a B on a tough exam. A guy like Silva used to get As on an easy exam, thats why i used to have him at #2. But recently GSP has gotten B on a fairly hard test.

Last 4 fight exam:

Edgar:

Opponent Quality = A- (2 tough guys, but only 2 of them)

Performance in Fight = C+

Overall = B

Silva

Opponent Quality = A-

Performance = A-

Overall= A-

GSP

Opponent Quality = B+

Performance = B+

Overall = B+

Jon Jones

Opponent Quality = A-

Performance = A

Overall = A

wait what?!

Evans

Opponent Quality = B-

Performance = C

Overall = C+

No way Frankie is #2. But he definitely got bumped up to 4 or 5 after that win. No way he is above Jones. Frankie has one finish as of lately, Jones finishes every fight almost effortlessly. P4P isn't only about the weight, its about how dominant and impressive you are!

1. Anderson Silva

2. Georges St-Pierre

3. Jose Aldo

4. Jon Jones

5. Frankie Edgar

6. Cain Velasquez

7. Nick Diaz

8. Dominick Cruz

9. Dan Henderson

10. BJ Penn

1. Anderson

2. Jose

3. Frankie

4. BJ

5. George

6. Cain

7. Cruz

8. Jones

For all the haters' date=' the reason I still have BJ in the top 5 is because

C. He's earned himself a no.1 contender fight in that division[/quote']

LOL!!!!! hahahahahahaha

nice list bro :rolleyes::confused:

Archived