Question is the ankle lock banned in mma?

NCR_SOLIDER

This might be a really stupid question and before im berated for it' date=' im sorry but I was just wondering? Is it banned in Mma? It is a real submission and yet no one ever tries it. The closet thing Ive seen is when Frank Mir submitted Tank Abbott with a toe hold.[/quote']

No

Because leg locks of any kind are risky.

In grappling, if you go for a leg lock, all your opponent can do is try to outmaneuver it. In MMA, if you go for a leg/ankle lock and have to take a couple of moments to get it right and being applying pressure, if your opponent is smart, he'll start trying to smash your head in because both of your arms will be committing to the submission, leaving you defenseless.

That's what I think anyways. I too notice a lack of leg/ankle locks in MMA. I believe that is why. Too risky to attempt in anything but a last ditch situation (case in point: Mir/Lesnar I).

Because leg locks of any kind are risky.

In grappling' date=' if you go for a leg lock, all your opponent can do is try to outmaneuver it. In MMA, if you go for a leg/ankle lock and have to take a couple of moments to get it right and being applying pressure, if your opponent is smart, he'll start trying to smash your head in because both of your arms will be committing to the submission, leaving you defenseless.

That's what I think anyways. I too notice a lack of leg/ankle locks in MMA. I believe that is why. Too risky to attempt in anything but a last ditch situation (case in point: [b']Mir/Lesnar I[/b]).

That was actually a kneebar.

Archived