Frankie shouldn't even be considered in P4P ranks

Mikmania

Well he did just KO an undefeated contender' date=' avenging his only loss, handled BJ Penn and Sean Sherk (without grease), and is a natural 155 pounder.

He is pretty easily top 3 P4P, and definitely ahead of Georges Safe Pierre.[/quote']

Anderson and GSP are EASILY ahead of him, don't believe the hype

And I'd say Jones is also easily ahead of Edgar

But p4p rankings really mean ****

Anderson and GSP are EASILY ahead of him' date=' don't believe the hype

And I'd say Jones is also easily ahead of Edgar

But p4p rankings really mean ****[/quote']

Well, he has more title defenses than Jones and shows how he handles adversity. That may be because nobody can get close enough to Jones to put him in danger. I wouldn't say Jones is in p4p either. A few more dominant performances and he'll most definitely be there. Same with Edgar. If Edgar can beat Guida/Bendo, Melendez and whoever else they throw at him, I'd put him in the top five easily.

P4P rankings are incredibly dumb. I mean, no disrespect to Frankie or anyone else on the list, but as soon as you win a UFC belt, you instantly shoot into about the 1-3 spots in the p4p ranking. I remember when there was talks that Brock Lesnar was 3rd p4p best with a 3-1 record...

If there is going to be p4p rankings though, Edgar is no surprise to be up there at number 2 or number 3. He is a lot more entertaining than that greasing canadian who either humps or pokes for a W.

P4P rankings are incredibly dumb. I mean' date=' no disrespect to Frankie or anyone else on the list, but as soon as you win a UFC belt, you instantly shoot into about the 1-3 spots in the p4p ranking. I remember when there was talks that Brock Lesnar was 3rd p4p best with a 3-1 record...

If there is going to be p4p rankings though, Edgar is no surprise to be up there at number 2 or number 3. He is a lot more entertaining than that greasing canadian who either humps or pokes for a W.[/quote']

I never look at pound for pound for what it is, just " the best fighters in the world " top 10 list. If Rumble had the belt at 170 and was like 19-3 with a 6 fight knockout streak he probably wouldn't deserve to be on the "pound for pound" list because he's larger than basically every Middleweight and a lot of Light Heavyweights, but I would and most would put him on their list.

I also agree, just because you are a champion doesn't make you pound for pound, or the greatest in the world. Guys like Gilbert Melendez, Carlos Condit, Junior Dos Santos, Jake Ellenberger, Rashad Evans, Jon Fitch and so on could really have an argument for being above guys like Dominick Cruz, Cain Velasquez, Jose Aldo. Just because they aren't UFC champions doesn't mean they are automatically lower than the others on the rankings.

Frankie deserves the spot by his sheer willingness to fight guys who are much bigger than him. And not only that, he dominates fights. Yea, Gray got the better of him in round 1 twice, but it's always ALL Edgar after that point. The dude is game, can take a licking and keep on ticking.

In an era where every single fighter outside the HW division feels like he needs to cut weight to be competitive, Frankie goes against the grain and just believes in his ability. You can't say the same for a guy like Georges who is obsessed with size advantage and won't even fight a guy with 10lbs on him, let alone close to 30.

Guys like Frankie are what P4P is all about.

How's does consistently fighting guys you're essentially stronger then get you in the pound for pound rankings? GSP (imo) does not belong at the #2 spot, or top 5 for that matter. He is only there cause of his title at the weight class he feels safe at. I don't think he'll fare well at 185 and 155 in virtually impossible for him.

Anderson Silva - i could see holding LHW gold

Edgar - could realistically be 145 champ

Velasquez - small for a HW champ

These things, IMO, make then better candidates for P4P talks....

Shouldn't be considered in the P4P rankings at all??? I'm sorry' date=' but you fail epicly.

I do agree with one thing, he's definitely not Number 2, Gay Safe Pierre is still Number 2, but Frankie is DEFINITELY Number 3.[/quote']

Nope Aldo is 3 has been for a while now. How does he lose his spot when he successfully defended his title too.

Everyone has their opinion and I respect that; but in my opinion it is a horrible assessment of true fighting skill to say Frankie Edgar is #2 p4p. With that said, I'm going to completely ignore this argument from now on and will probably comment again once Edgar faces someone whose adrenaline keeps pumping after round 1 and also whose boxing skill exceeds just one right uppercut. That's all Gray brought to the table. Edgar is not #2.

Frankie has only fought 2 guys in the last 2 years, realistically instant rematches are continuations of fights, so Frankie has after 2 years just won the title and made 1 defense.

He hasn't looked dominant in either performance (why does he need rematches?)

Now compare guys like Aldo, Cain etc, compare their faces after the fight with their opponents. They smash their opponents. How can you rank Frankie higher then those guys?

Aldo has wiped out two dominant champs and every top contender in his division.

Cain has wiped out the dominant champ, the living legend former champ and there's been no comparison in each fight.

Frankie took 10 rds to beat the champ, and then took 10 rds to beat a wrestler with slow strikes. He's still higher then gsp or Jon jones though.

and it's completely absurd to consider #2... gtfo.

BS. He's the only champion beating up people in a weightclass higher than he should be, and he now has 3 title defenses at that weight.

Cruz could be a Lightweight.

Aldo could be a Lightweight.

(Edgar is smaller than both of them)

GSP could be a Middleweight

Silva could be a LightHeavyweight

Jones could be a Heavyweight

People talk about Silva & GSP not having the balls to move up and compete regularly in their next division up.... Well, Edgar has been doing exactly that for years.

Edgar's accomplishments would be like GSP having multiple defenses at MW and Silva having multiple defenses at LHW... and the same goes for every other champion.

Since winning the title, Edgar has been one of the most underrated fighters in the UFC; It's about time he gets the respect he deserves.

P3

Frankie deserves the spot by his sheer willingness to fight guys who are much bigger than him. And not only that' date=' he dominates fights. Yea, Gray got the better of him in round 1 twice, but it's always ALL Edgar after that point. The dude is game, can take a licking and keep on ticking.

In an era where every single fighter outside the HW division feels like he needs to cut weight to be competitive, Frankie goes against the grain and just believes in his ability. You can't say the same for a guy like Georges who is obsessed with size advantage and won't even fight a guy with 10lbs on him, let alone close to 30.

Guys like Frankie are what P4P is all about.[/quote']

Poeple don't realize this. Very nicely written and I agree with you. I did not like Frankie before but his last two fights have made me a fan. He is like a real life Rocky.

Archived