its really time for some champ v champ matches

Duke101

Im really starting to feel that each division is becoming very weak. seems that each weight only has one REAL contender in it, with a few slim to none chances "contenders" behind them.

heavyweight: i think we can agree cain and jds are the heavyweight division. overeem is nothing and i thing brock will destroy him, only to lose to whover wins between these 2.

lightheavyweight: jones' only threat imo is rashad. thats its

middleweight: we all know sonnen is the only threat to silva's title. (or silva is the only threat to sonnen's title lol)

welterweight: Gsp can jab n pray anyone

lightweight: until GM gets here, i wouldnt mind seein edgar maynard 4. i mean whats guida really gunna go?

featherweight: who can beat aldo? maybe chad mendez?

bantamweight: maybe faber? he still has a slim chance.

i really feel these dominant champs need to challenge themselves and each other. before, the only fight talked about was gsp v silva. now, were talkin gsp vs silva, silva vs bones, bones vs cain, edgar vs aldo, aldo vs cruz. lets make 'em happin!

i wouldn't say that all the divisions are weak.

there is really no challenges for cruz at BW

Aldo will probably move up soon and then that division is wide open.

LW is stacked

WW and MW are locked down by silva and gsp

LHW and HW still have many top contenders left

i agree here actually, dos santos and overeem are the only interesting match ups for cain.

machida and evans for bones and then i dont think anyone else can do anything

sonnen for silva then its all done,

gsp doesnt really have anyone

henderson could have a good go and we saw how maynard did, loads of good guys down there.

featherwieght nobody really but he has to move up soon

someone will get cruz's number soon

Extremely disagree.

HW: Hunt, Struve seem to be revitalized and fighting properly

Russow, Herman, Browne & Mitrione seem to have bright futures.

Strikeforce HWs (Werdum, Bigfoot, Cormier, Barnett) are all bound to be in the UFC mid 2012

LHW: Machida, Evans, Rua/Hendo, Gustaffson, Davis, Thiago Silva

MW: Sonnen & maybe Mu?oz.

WW: Condit, Penn/Diaz, Ellenberger, MacDonald/Ebersole

LW: Guida/Bendo, Lauzon (seems to be back), Cerrone/Siver, Pettis

FW: Mendes, Hioki, Griffin

BW: Pickett/Barao, Bowles/Faber, Torres/Pace

LW is stacked

BW and FW actually have more contenders than people realise :confused:

Brad Picket for example (fighting at 138) was supposed to face Miguel Torres in a no1 contenders fight earlier this year, but dropped out injured. Prior to that, he beat the Mighty Mouse who stepped into that fight as replacement and beat Torres! Barao is now facing Pickett at 138 and Barao has a crazy record of 26-1 and the dude is only 24 years old!!! Brian Bowles is 10-1 and only lost to Cruz via doctors stoppage... You look at guys like Mike Easton too who is 11-1, Edwin Figueroa 9-1, Michael McDonald 13-1... There is plenty of competition here and this is before we even see what TUF produces this season!

LW is stacked

i wouldn't say that. I think mighty mouse at one hole in his game last time. If he works on his takedown defense he'll get that belt nice time round

I do agree with the op however. Aldo vs edgar would be really interesting. Silva vs GSP i would definetely watch but i dont see it being a great fight. Silva going to lhw is a no brainer to me. Him against jone would be amazing. As for Jones... going up to HW would be nonsense. I think the HW division still have lots of contender with brock and oveereem back in the mix. I do think LW is stacked also

Until you defend your belt as long as GSP and Silva, you really don't know whether the current champion is gonna be such a dominant champion to the point that you need to start putting on superfights to keep things interesting.

Everybody thought Machida was invincible at LHW. People were raving about Silva vs. Machida at one point because it was believed that they were so beyond everybody else in their divisions. Well... it turned out that it wasn't the case.

Once upon a time, nobody thought that anyone in the HW division could challenge Brock Lesnar. Brock vs. Fedor was the only matchup that people wanted because they were held to be the most formidable titans at that weight class. Not too many people saw Cain and JDS creeping up from the shadows.

The point is, the picture can change drastically within a year. For all we know, Jones and Edgar may not even be champions this time next year and bandwagoners could be talking about how ridiculous it was even to mention them alongside Georges and Anderson who've proven themselves over a long stretch of time.

The only superfight that actually makes sense is Silva vs. GSP because of their long, dominant reigns. They elevated themselves to their ranks side-by-side and the prospect of a fight between them has been brewing for a few years now. Dana has also continuously been putting it off because there has always been more challengers for them waiting on the wings. When the buildup to this potential war has taken this long, do you actually think it's logical to square off guys with 1 or 2 title defences and call that a superfight? lmao!

Archived