Do you agree with stand ups?

UFC_311

We all have heard Rogan say numerous times how he does not agree with Stand ups under any circumstance. But did anybody else notice that he was happy about Phan/Garcia being stood up so they could keep slugging it out. Then one fight later during the Sonnen/Stann fight, he went back to his normal "They were working ref!" line when they were stood up.

Just wondering what the majority of people on here thought. There's good arguments for both sides.

Really depends on the situation, like it should. If a fighter is working all the time and attempting to gain a better position or to get a submission, than of course no. But if he is not working, or transitioning to positions for the fun of it with no obvious intention to attempt a sub or GnP, than defo.

I think they should also say if a fixed amount of time goes by that there is no attempt at advancement, say 10 seconds, they get auto stood-up, plus if say 30 seconds goes by and although attempted a better position they could not get it they are stood-up

Its depends really...i think the ref when he visits fighter in the locker room he should ask fighter what do they want

If lets say a bjj guy who is on the bottom and the top guys doing is tired he may want it to stay there

And a striker is on bottom and the top guy is tired and doing nothing he may want it stood up

But the top guy who is doing nothing gets no choice it is all up to the ref and the bottom guys choice...i think that would be best

It's not about "exciting" as put in by the poll, but yes, I like stand ups. I understand that one fighter worked to get his opponent down to the ground, but he has to stay busy, otherwise, that's a clear sign of stalling. Either way though, if you can't get up and won't be stood up, or can't defend the take down yet have the stand ups, you will lose.

Refs just don't pick the best times to stand a fight up

Really depends on the situation' date=' like it should. If a fighter is working all the time and attempting to gain a better position or to get a submission, than of course no. But if he is not working, or transitioning to positions for the fun of it with no obvious intention to attempt a sub or GnP, than defo.

[b']I think they should also say if a fixed amount of time goes by that there is no attempt at advancement, say 10 seconds, they get auto stood-up, plus if say 30 seconds goes by and although attempted a better position they could not get it they are stood-up[/b]

Yes, I was going to say there should be a more regulated rule so that fighters are better prepared on what to expect from the ref.

Not if they are working and clearly trying to improve position or trying to do damage or even if they are clearly trying to set-up things up in order to do big damage or improve position. You have to give them some leeway.

If they are haved worked to achieve a dominant postion such as side control, mount or backmount unless they both aren't doing anything they should not be stood up from those positions at all.

If it's only the bottom fighter who is looking to stall you have to give the top fighter a little more leeway to combat it and if they can't and the fight stalls once again for a fairly significant amount of time then stand them up but otherwise no it's not really fair to the top fighter who did all that work to get there then has to do it again because the bottom fighter just looked to stall.

Archived