Zuffa advertising GSP as the Great WW of all time?

King_Can

GSP has beaten Hughes twice, Has defended more time consecutively, they've tied for number of Championship match wins, and some of GSP's competition has arguably been better quality fighters. Trigg and Sherk for example aren't exactly known for being great WWs.

And Diaz doesn't come close to the "Greatest Welterweight of All Time" discussion.

GSP has beaten Hughes twice' date=' Has defended more time consecutively, they've tied for number of Championship match wins, and some of GSP's competition has arguably been better quality fighters. Trigg and Sherk for example aren't exactly known for being great WWs.

And Diaz doesn't come close to the "Greatest Welterweight of All Time" discussion.[/quote']

Lol!!!! GSP has fought Trigg and Sherk also

Trigg and Sherk were never in championship bouts against GSP for a reason, they weren't good enough as more quality WWs were becoming developed.

And yes, Hardy has been exposed as a hype train. Which is why I said SOME of GSP's competition has arguably been better quality fighters.

And no, Diaz is not anywhere near the greatest WW of all time. Maybe biggest punk of all time.

GSP has beaten Hughes twice' date=' Has defended more time consecutively, they've tied for number of Championship match wins, and some of GSP's competition has arguably been better quality fighters. Trigg and Sherk for example aren't exactly known for being great WWs.

And Diaz doesn't come close to the "Greatest Welterweight of All Time" discussion.[/quote']

Hughes has 9 championship wins, while GSP has 8. Hughes has 7 title defences as champion, including two wins that were supposed to be title defences but the fighter didn't make weight. GSP has a cool 6. GSP defended his title against:

Alves: 1-4 in his last 4 fights

Jon Fitch: Good record but mostly padded record. Best win is against Alves.

BJ Penn: 1-2-1 in last four fights.

Dan Hardy: 0-4 in his last four fights.

Jake Shields: 1-2 in the UFC

Josh Koscheck: Good record but mostly padded. Best win Paul Daley.

I don't know about better competition.

Hughes has 9 championship wins' date=' while GSP has 8. Hughes has 7 title defences as champion, including two wins that were supposed to be title defences but the fighter didn't make weight. GSP has a cool 6. GSP defended his title against:

I don't know about better competition.[/quote']

BOOM!

That pretty much sums it up

Flawless victory my friend

Don't get me wrong, I believe there are some really good fighters outside the UFC. Diaz has not been fighting great fighters.

Daley and Santos are decent but not great quality.

Noons and Sakurai are smaller fighters.

Zaromskis is fringe contender really. Same for Smith.

Frank Shamrock sadly is far from where he once was.

Hughes has 9 championship wins' date=' while GSP has 8. Hughes has 7 title defences as champion, including two wins that were supposed to be title defences but the fighter didn't make weight. GSP has a cool 6. GSP defended his title against:

Hughes' Championship Resume

Belt Defenses

Penn, Trigg 2, Trigg 1, Sherk, Castillo, Newton, Sakurai

Belt Wins

Newton, GSP 1

Belt Losses

GSP 3, GSP 2, Penn

Total Champ Wins - 9

GSP's Championship Resume

Belt Defenses

Shields, Koschek, Hardy, Alves, Penn, Fitch

Belt Wins

Serra 2, Hughes 3, Hughes 2

Belt Losses

Serra 1, Hughes 1

Total Champ Wins - 9

Hughes only had 1 fight that wasn't a defense from weight against Riggs. His match against Royce was never a belt fight.

I'm not going to say Hughes is inferior or wasn't one of the most dominant WW champs. I wouldn't even say GSP has been better because both of their accomplishments are about equal. I think down the road it'll be hard to say Hughes was greater than GSP because GSP probably has a few more years of champion fighting left in him to blow away Hughes' stats.

And yeah.....what has Diaz done to come close to these guys? Start fights in hospitals, brawls in a post-fight interview, routinely fight smaller guys and honorable mention talent that isn't breaking Top 10 WW rankings?

Also another reason they're hyping GSP as the greatest WW of all time...he has the belt now while Hughes is visibly declining. Most fans have too short a memory span to remember Hughes so they easily buy the hype for GSP as greatest ever, and that's what UFC wants to sell the fight. Hell, some fans probably have no idea that Hughes was so dominant.

I'm a much bigger Hughes fan than I ever have been of GSP - that said, I do believe George has earned his spot as greatest WW of all time. I'm not saying it's an open and shut case, and I wouldn't discredit anyone who still felt Hughes was the GOAT. For me personally however, I think GPS's career warrants the obviously subjective and unofficial title.

Hughes' Championship Resume

Belt Defenses

Penn' date=' Trigg 2, Trigg 1, Sherk, Castillo, Newton, Sakurai

Belt Wins

Newton, GSP 1

Belt Losses

GSP 3, GSP 2, Penn

Total Champ Wins - 9

GSP's Championship Resume

Belt Defenses

Shields, Koschek, Hardy, Alves, Penn, Fitch

Belt Wins

Serra 2, [b']Hughes 3,[/b] Hughes 2

Belt Losses

Serra 1, Hughes 1

Total Champ Wins - 9

Hughes only had 1 fight that wasn't a defense from weight against Riggs. His match against Royce was never a belt fight.

I'm not going to say Hughes is inferior or wasn't one of the most dominant WW champs. I wouldn't even say GSP has been better because both of their accomplishments are about equal. I think down the road it'll be hard to say Hughes was greater than GSP because GSP probably has a few more years of champion fighting left in him to blow away Hughes' stats.

And yeah.....what has Diaz done to come close to these guys? Start fights in hospitals, brawls in a post-fight interview, routinely fight smaller guys and honorable mention talent that isn't breaking Top 10 WW rankings?

He only won the title from Hughes once. The other was for an interm belt, not the title belt. So GSP has 8 title wins. Royce Gracie was the other fighter that didn't make weight if I remember correctly.

GSP is the best of all-time at WW and as time goes by it will just get more and more obvious.

And honestly, if GSP wasn't a WW then Jon Fitch might be the best ever over Hughes because he probably would be the long-reigning UFC champion.

Nick Diaz is not even close to top 10 all-time let alone number one, he crushed a lot of cans, so ****ing what.

GSP is the best of all-time at WW and as time goes by it will just get more and more obvious.

And honestly' date=' if GSP wasn't a WW then Jon Fitch might be the best ever over Hughes because he probably would be the long-reigning UFC champion.

Nick Diaz is not even close to top 10 all-time let alone number one, he crushed a lot of cans, so ****ing what.[/quote']

Fitch is overhyped. He has a great record because hes fought cans. The best fighter that he beat was Alves. :rolleyes:

Fitch is overhyped. He has a great record because hes fought cans. The best fighter that he beat was Alves. :rolleyes:

He's fought some cans but he's also fought and beat some pretty good fighters, he's 15-1-1 at welterweight including 13-1-1 in the UFC, which is impossible for most fighters to achieve no matter who they fight.

And honestly' date=' if GSP wasn't a WW then Jon Fitch might be the best ever over Hughes because he probably would be the long-reigning UFC champion.

Nick Diaz is not even close to top 10 all-time let alone number one, he crushed a lot of cans, so ****ing what.[/quote']

Jon Fitch isn't close to Hughes and only a couple steps over Diaz.

Clearly goes GSP > Hughes

Well what about Hughes? If he was the greatest WW of all time, he wouldnt be finished by Decision George twice, He's been on a losing streak and doesnt avenge his losses. When he was in his prime, he was fighting mediocre fighters that are cans today, because this was many years before MMA really evolved into as technical as it has today. These days everybody has a belt in jiujistu and an extensive wrestling base. If you were to stick todays fighters against hughes way back then, he would have never been anywhere near as successful. This is apparent considering the competition has evolved, and hughes is still the same old grappler as always. He hasnt stepped up, which is why he continues to lose, and why he is not the greatest WW of all time. Maybe AT HIS TIME, but he will never be as big as he was before the sport exploded

And what about Nick Diaz? All he ever does is run his mouth and fight average fighters. That homie was too scared to even bother making it to the presser. He had no interest in fighting somebody that he knows would beat him

He only won the title from Hughes once. The other was for an interm belt' date=' not the title belt. So GSP has 8 title wins. Royce Gracie was the other fighter that didn't make weight if I remember correctly.[/quote']

Naw royce was a catchweight bout that was notbfor the title...never was and never was planned to be

Really? Fitch and Koscheck have padded records? O.K. sure. Also most guys didn't start losing streaks until GSP beat them silly.

You're also missing Hughes twice (While Hughes was at the top of his top game),

He only won the title from Hughes once. The other was for an interm belt' date=' not the title belt. So GSP has 8 title wins. Royce Gracie was the other fighter that didn't make weight if I remember correctly.[/quote']

Interim Championship = the "current" champ while the one that had been holding the belt is out indefinately due to injury or contract. It's why they call Big Nog the only Pride and UFC champ, because he won an interim championship.

And I told you right in that post you quoted Royce vs. Hughes was never a belt fight, just a hype match of an old BJJ master against the newbreed wrestler.

Either way, both men have good credentials, but history will find GSP the greater one.

Interim Championship = the "current" champ while the one that had been holding the belt is out indefinately due to injury or contract. It's why they call Big Nog the only Pride and UFC champ' date=' because he won an interim championship.

And I told you right in that post you quoted Royce vs. Hughes was never a belt fight, just a hype match of an old BJJ master against the newbreed wrestler.

Either way, both men have good credentials, but history will find GSP the greater one.[/quote']

The interim title is not considered to be the same as winning the actual title. I looked at a records list and GSP is at 8 title wins. I do agree that GSP wil probably go down as the greatest WW of all time. Right now I think its a draw.

Greatest WW of all time

1) GSP

2) Hughes

IMO Hughes is a very close second to GSP.

Diaz isn't worth talking about yet. Yes he is a great fighter and is a top 5 WW, but he hasn't beaten anyone yet that would make me consider him for GWWOAT. I think he will decision Penn in a FOTN, and I would love for him to hold the belt one day, but so far he isn't worth mentioning.

To be fair waik, 3 of those guys beat Hughes....

If he beats Condit' date=' he'll tie Hughes for title defenses (7) and for the most wins in UFC history (18). I think GSP will be surpassing him soon, if not already.[/quote']

I agree. Right now I would say they were tied. If he beats Condit, I don't think theres a question.

Archived