Did Iran really sanction bomb plot in the US?

LegoPig

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/did-iran-really-sanction-bumbling-160627336.html

The Iranian plot to blow up the Saudi ambassador in Washington reads like a Hollywood script, said FBI head Robert Mueller. It does, but not a very good one.

The plot probably would not get past first pitch in an LA script meeting.

And that is America's problem as they try to gather international support for greater sanctions on Iran.

What the US government is not making clear is how high up the plot was approved by Iranians. Did it have the backing of the Khamenei regime or was it the work of a rogue element?

Mansoor Arbabsiar may have been an agent of the Qods special operations unit of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard. But not a very good one by all accounts.

He has a record for petty and more serious offences going back to 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001 and 2004. Not exactly off the law enforcement radar then.

"He's no mastermind", in the words of someone who knows him in Texas. He was a second-hand car salesman well known to the Sheriff's department of his home town, it seems.

So imagine the meeting in Tehran. Senior members of the Qods Force and officials of the Khamenei regime are discussing blowing up the Saudi ambassador in a restaurant in Washington DC.

They know a terrorist outrage on those proportions in the US capital would have enormous repercussions if traced back to Iran.

Would they choose someone like Arbabsiar with a law enforcement record as long as the sleeves of his second-hand car salesman coat with countless police mug shots circulating?

Probably not. More likely this was maverick opportunism by a rogue element of the Qods Force.

Its involvement seems established by the \$100,000 (about ?63,400) down payment made from one of its bank accounts to what it believed was a member of a Mexican drug cartel.

That makes the plot chilling, if bizarre. Someone in Iran financed a plan that could have killed many innocent civilians in a restaurant in Washington and sparked hostilities between Saudi Arabia and Iran and drawn in America as well.

But did the order come from higher up? It is far from clear but it is important because it affects the way America responds to the plot.

Arbabsiar was not only not very good but also unlucky. Of all the members of all the drug cartels in all of Mexico, he happened to choose an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Agency. His plans were exposed.

You wonder whether the Iranians are more annoyed by the fact the plot was exposed or that the world is being led to believe one of its elite special operations forces could operate in such a bumbling, cack-handed way.

So, is America just looking for public approval to invade or are Iran genuinely stupid enough to attack America after what happened to Iraq? I tend to believe the former.

Kevin need not answer.

iran isnt gonna attack because they would lose in the first 30minutes after the war "officially" starts. people are giving them too much credit whenin reality they pose as much a threat to the u.s as an ant poses to a person

Not in conventional warfare but from an under the table terrorism standpoint they can be a big threat.

Scenario: If they start developing nuclear weapons and some of these weapons suddenly dissapear and wind up as dirty nukes in the hands of a would be terrorist cell whose destination is a major US city then yeah i'd say that's a big threat. Might not kill many people but the economy would be wrecked. There's also biological threats.

Are they crazy enough to openly declare outright war? No, they're crazy but not stupid.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/did-iran-really-sanction-bumbling-160627336.html

So' date=' is America just looking for public approval to invade or are Iran genuinely stupid enough to attack America after what happened to Iraq? I tend to believe the former.

Kevin need not answer.[/quote']

According to a US diplomate in the obama admin it is an 'act of war' perhaps invading iran might increase obama approval ratings, in any case if america ever dares to invade iran it will be far worse than iraq for sure :D they are superior in guerilla warfare

ya but then the u.s could hold them hostage' date=' if one sets off they blow off their homeland, i dont think terrorists wanna live in a pool of radiation[/quote']

....and If they recruited saudi's to do it and no link back to them then what?

According to a US diplomate in the obama admin it is an 'act of war' perhaps invading iran might increase obama approval ratings' date=' in any case if america ever dares to invade iran it will be far worse than iraq for sure :D [b']they are superior in guerilla warfare[/b]

and much crazier.

If a fight breaks out i doubt we would invade. We could just bomb them back to the stone age and there is little they could do about it.

and much crazier.

If a fight breaks out i doubt we would invade. We could just bomb them back to the stone age and there is little they could do about it.

The united states has military bases all over the middle east smart *** :D and secondly you would have to send ground troops, if that was the case why didn't they apply that formula to iraq ? So the united states air force will fly direct flights from United states to iran lol ;)

You are incredibly ignorant it is just unbelievable :D

really? irans military has a small fraction of everything the u.s military has, plus its allies, who the hell is gonna ally themselves with iran? the u.s will have its usual band of wacky countries that can just rape iran at any given moment

....and If they recruited saudi's to do it and no link back to them then what?

and much crazier.

exactly there is no reason to invade, if they attacked the u.s they would be repelled easily.. and then the u.s would just bomb them for good measure

really? irans military has a small fraction of everything the u.s military has' date=' plus its allies, who the hell is gonna ally themselves with iran? the u.s will have its usual band of wacky countries that can just rape iran at any given moment[/quote']

Didn't they say the same thing about iraq ? and look at iraq now..no country in the middle east can take on iran, they were behind all the resistance & the insurgency in iraq and have their hands in afghanistan..I mean you can be a patriot man but just not a dumb one.. i mean look at afghanistan super power and cant even defeat a small resistance group

Didn't they say the same thing about iraqi ? and look at iraq now..no country in the middle east can take on iran' date=' they were doing all the damage in iraq and have their hands in afghanistan..I mean you can be a patriot man but just not a dumb one[/quote']

i dont even live in the u.s...

and what about iraq? its not as bad as you may think, the terrorists are poor as hell now and no one wants to recruit to blow themselves up anymore. and if ur just refering to the iraq war against saddams army...the u,s won that! in 2003!! middle eastern countries arent powerful iran is just larger than the others, u look at the u.s and u see that texas itself is just a little smaller than the entire country. u.s is more technologically advanced, they could rpetty much fight the war with robots if they wanted to. just send in air drones to shoot **** down

The united states has military bases all over the middle east smart *** :D and secondly you would have to send ground troops' date=' if that was the case why didn't they apply that formula to iraq ? [b']So the united states air force will fly direct flights from United states to iran lol [/b];)

They can actually if necessary, They can fly from the states and be refueled in the air.

We have bases all over europe as well.

The mission in Iraq wasn't to wreck the country but to remove Saddam so you do have a point there.

Im not arguing with you that the US should mind it's own business. It should not meddle in other countries affairs and that's the main reason we get ourselves into trouble in the first place. However we can't just ignore threats abroad and regimes that support terrorism either.

i dont even live in the u.s...

and what about iraq? its not as bad as you may think' date=' the terrorists are poor as hell now and no one wants to recruit to blow themselves up anymore. and if ur just refering to the iraq war against saddams army...the u,s won that! in 2003!! middle eastern countries arent powerful iran is just larger than the others, u look at the u.s and u see that texas itself is just a little smaller than the entire country. u.s is more technologically advanced, they could rpetty much fight the war with robots if they wanted to. just send in air drones to shoot **** down[/quote']

You are talking out of your fking *** man, i am from the middle east and i know my history Iraq was a huge disaster. Saddam army was disbanded so you won nothing. Your logic is completely flawed.. I am not talking about iran geography in the region,i am talking about its capabilities and its warfare, what they accomplished in iraq. What has the size of the country got 2 do with anything?? Yea the us army is advanced no doubt..hows afghanistan going for you ? GTFO man you watch too much power rangers lol

They can actually if necessary' date=' They can fly from the states and be refueled in the air.

The mission in Iraq wasn't to wreck the country but to remove Saddam so you do have a point there.[/quote']

GTFO man they cant sustain an entire war like that..yea and hopefully we will kick the americans out of our region and close all their bases, problem is we got fking dictators here but at least a couple are gone, american influence in the region is waning , your economy is in a ditch..go 2 sleep

They can actually if necessary' date=' They can fly from the states and be refueled in the air.

The mission in Iraq wasn't to wreck the country but to remove Saddam so you do have a point there.

Im not arguing with you that the US should mind it's own business. That's the main reason we get ourselves into trouble in the first place. However we can't just ignore threats abroad and regimes that support terrorism either.[/quote']

what about US Terrorism ? The united states is the biggest terrorist on the planet and your gov has supported dictators and oppressive regimes throughout the world and iran would welcome a war it is just another nail in the coffin of a falling super power :)

what about US Terrorism ? The united states is the biggest terrorist on the planet and your gov has supported dictators and oppressive regimes throughout the world and iran would welcome a war it is just another nail in the coffin of a falling super power :)

This post goes to show just how irrational your are.

I don't want any country to fail. I would just like to live peacefully without all the drama and clash of cultures.

The US doesnt even have to go to war. All they have to do is give Israel the green light. Israel is ready to take them out right now. They just arent because the US is sayin no. So really if the US doesnt want to shed American blood then leave it up to the Israelies. They would mess Iran up in about 2 days.

He is from Palestine actually.

Oh. I guess my Israel comment will anger him. Well Since he is from palastine it makes sence that he hates America even though we gave his country millions if not billions in dollars in funding. If not for the US his home i wont even say his country because it doesnt exist would be called Israel. So he should really stop with all the anti America mumbo jumbo monkey business. LOL

He sure is. Freedom of speech. American ingenuity at its best. Rock throwing and flag burning. Palistinian ingenuity at its best.

Hahaha, I see what you are doing. ^^^

He is actually a very noble & knowledgable poster once you get to know him.

Pity he rarely posts much anymore.

Anyhow. I'm staying out of this debate now. I'm from neither country. lol

Just another Jew conspiracy theory.

I think it is a consiracy to get attention away from fast and furious. Since Eric Holder was supposed to be investigated for the gun running project with mexico that left many innocent people dead. Divert attention from Government screw ups with a more news worthy story.

Oh sweet. You work for an international firm or there a-like ?

I work for a tourism company that contacts business for hotel chains and rental car companys in the Japan, hawaii and southern california. But some times I work with the Australian travel agencys. And they are very good to us.

I work for a tourism company that contacts business for hotel chains and rental car companys in the Japan' date=' hawaii and southern california. But some times I work with the Australian travel agencys. And they are very good to us.[/quote']

Nice. Yeah us Aussies are mostly laid back.

Sounds like you have a good job.

Oh. I guess my Israel comment will anger him. Well Since he is from palastine it makes sence that he hates America even though we gave his country millions if not billions in dollars in funding. If not for the US his home i wont even say his country because it doesnt exist would be called Israel. So he should really stop with all the anti America mumbo jumbo monkey business. LOL

Actually if you go back far enough, if not for Anglo-American elites, Palestine might still be under an Islamic Caliphate with Jews & Muslim still living together in peace (for the most part). His displeasure with America's foreign policy is certainly justified.

Actually if you go back far enough' date=' if not for Anglo-American elites, Palestine might still be under an Islamic Caliphate with Jews & Muslim still living together in peace (for the most part). His displeasure with America's foreign policy is certainly justified.[/quote']

If you look farther back you would see that Israel was there before Palastine or even Islam was thought of. Of course he has a good reason to be displeased with America. He is on the side of Americas enemys. I am displeased with Irans attempt to terrorize and murder someone on our soil. He feels that America is the terrorist. I get it. I like the Idea of no caliphate. Much like America or Israel and other free countrys.

Sweet' date=' so you get commission ?[/quote']

Yeah. 12% of all accounts that pass the quarterly goal. I also get a salary. But most of the money I make is comission so I cant take long vacations. Its cool you know I always make comission sometimes I hit it really big sometimes I dont. Its all on how much you put into it. The craziest thing is I shouldnt have this job I got really lucky. I got layed off of my job as union member with a rental car company. I was at church I was all down some dude noticed my depression and asked me what had me down. I told him and he said if I prayed about it I said yes. Then the guy said I know and gave me the job. No college. no experients. Boom 6 months later im buying a house in Hawaii 30 yards from a beach.

How about you. What is your craft.

Yeah. 12% of all accounts that pass the quarterly goal. I also get a salary. But most of the money I make is comission so I cant take long vacations. Its cool you know I always make comission sometimes I hit it really big sometimes I dont. Its all on how much you put into it. The craziest thing is I shouldnt have this job I got really lucky. I got layed off of my job as union member with a rental car company. I was at church I was all down some dude noticed my depression and asked me what had me down. I told him and he said if I prayed about it I said yes. Then the guy said I know and gave me the job. No college. no experients. Boom 6 months later im buying a house in Hawaii 30 yards from a beach.

How about you. What is your craft.

Bloody hell you lucky bugger... On your way out after losing your job & you got saved...

Guess good things happen to good people... Hawai close to the beach sounds grand. I'm jelly.

Let me know when you ae having a house warming...

& my job is good.... kind of... I'm not a smart guy. Just got brawn.

I'm an interstate removalist.. away for long periods... It's good as I get to drink & post on here while the other guy drives...

He gets paid more then me though - :mad:

Bloody hell you lucky bugger... On your way out after losing your job & you got saved...

Guess good things happen to good people... Hawai close to the beach sounds grand. I'm jelly.

Let me know when you ae having a house warming...

& my job is good.... kind of... I'm not a smart guy. Just got brawn.

I'm an interstate removalist.. away for long periods... It's good as I get to drink & post on here while the other guy drives...

He gets paid more then me though - :mad:

Haha. Yeah well like I said I got lucky. Im no brains or brawn. Just lucky. You use what God gave you and let the chips fall then see what you get right. In the end we are all happy say we have jobs. cus man it sucks when you lose it and got bills to pay. Hawaii is nice but man Australia is a beauty on her own. I fear the snakes though.

Haha. Yeah well like I said I got lucky. Im no brains or brawn. Just lucky. You use what God gave you and let the chips fall then see what you get right. In the end we are all happy say we have jobs. cus man it sucks when you lose it and got bills to pay. Hawaii is nice but man Australia is a beauty on her own. I fear the snakes though.

Yeah true.

I play to my strength... Basically my only strength...

& snakes I loathe also...

Why dont you like them ?

If you look farther back you would see that Israel was there before Palastine or even Islam was thought of. Of course he has a good reason to be displeased with America. He is on the side of Americas enemys. I am displeased with Irans attempt to terrorize and murder someone on our soil. He feels that America is the terrorist. I get it. I like the Idea of no caliphate. Much like America or Israel and other free countrys.

You want to go thousands of years back? At least in my scenario' date=' the take over of Palestine is relevant to what's [i']currently[/i] going on. :P

In regards to Israel being booted out back in the day. You might want to take that up with the Roman & Byzantine Empires; Muslims took in the Jews when they got there. ;)

As for the assassination attempt, I don't like it going on on our soil either. But here's the thing: Saudi Arabia is the biggest covert exporter of terrorism in the world, and Saudi Arabia is only capable because of aid & alliance with the West. Their monarchy was created by the British, ffs, and their Wahhabist ideology was as well. Considering how Iran is surrounded by Sunni terrorists ultimately supported by the West, it wasn't an unwarranted attack on their part.

Archived