MMA couldn't succeed without WWE.

JP24

It's the absolute truth. Anyone who says otherwise are kidding themselves.

Try to read this with an open mind, because WWE did more for this sport than Dana White could ever do in his life. So let me start on this idea. First thing's first, the WWE (or F, depends on what era we're talking about) pulled in a crapload of fans to their "wrestling events" but showed the world how wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and standup fighting can all go together. All of these fans thought that was cool.

MMA evolved in the WWE, the mere inception of this ideal came straight from the man... McMahon... UFC got a jumpstart because they had an example to follow, except they wanted to take out all the scripts and all the acting, and just go with bloodyfisted fighting, winner wins, loser loses, no middleman, no BS. But without the WWE, and it's contributions to MMA, UFC couldn't exist, and if it did, it wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is today.

The WWE raised up one good fighter we can all use as proof that WWE is legit. One of the greatest prospects of all time, Brock Lesnar, came to the UFC and took the championship in the Heavyweight division, and even managed to get one defense in. He only lost because he was sick and losing some of that spring in his step.

The truth is, without McMahon, and the MMA Organization "World Wrestling Entertainment", true Mixed Martial Arts could never be looked at as a true sport, and would most likely be frowned upon in many more places where it's now acceptable.

Try to read this with an open mind' date=' because WWE did more for this sport than Dana White could ever do in his life. So let me start on this idea. First thing's first, the WWE (or F, depends on what era we're talking about) pulled in a crapload of fans to their "wrestling events" but showed the world how wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and standup fighting can all go together. All of these fans thought that was cool.

MMA evolved in the WWE, the mere inception of this ideal came straight from the man... McMahon... UFC got a jumpstart because they had an example to follow, except they wanted to take out all the scripts and all the acting, and just go with bloodyfisted fighting, winner wins, loser loses, no middleman, no BS. But without the WWE, and it's contributions to MMA, UFC couldn't exist, and if it did, it wouldn't be nearly as successful as it is today.

The WWE raised up one good fighter we can all use as proof that WWE is legit. One of the greatest prospects of all time, Brock Lesnar, came to the UFC and took the championship in the Heavyweight division, and even managed to get one defense in. He only lost because he was sick and losing some of that spring in his step.

The truth is, without McMahon, and the MMA Organization "World Wrestling Entertainment", true Mixed Martial Arts could never be looked at as a true sport, and would most likely be frowned upon in many more places where it's now acceptable.[/quote']

JP.. remember when trolling meant something... :P jk

Try to read this with an open mind' date=' because WWE did more for this sport than Dana White could ever do in his life. So let me start on this idea. First thing's first, the WWE (or F, depends on what era we're talking about) pulled in a crapload of fans to their "wrestling events" but showed the world how wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and standup fighting can all go together. All of these fans thought that was cool.

The truth is, without McMahon, and the MMA Organization "World Wrestling Entertainment", true Mixed Martial Arts could never be looked at as a true sport, and would most likely be frowned upon in many more places where it's now acceptable.[/quote']

lolololooooooolll!!! hahahahahaahha... lmfao! I actually lol'd at your post.

nope. wait. no i didn't

He defended it twice. (Lesnar)

I doubt the WWF/WWE had anything to do with the popularity of the sport.

Some people like watching male soap operas and others enjoy watching straight violence and others enjoy watching something that they do themselves... martial arts.

Don't get me wrong though, there are many UFC/MMA fighters who love to hype up a card and they'd fit perfect in WWE and that entertainment lifestyle.

UFC can let Tito Ortiz go and I'll continue to watch Lesnar fight. At least he doesn't spit out a hundred excuses in defeat. He needed that surgery for a while and they said he was only like 60% against Mir but you never heard him say that it held him back until he pulled out of the actual fight.

Could he have taken the fight and lost, made $$$ and piled up the excuses? Sure. he didn't and I respect that.

Point being; they are two different sports, worlds, it's hard to call WWE a sport when it's a script but I understand the toll it takes on the body.

The WWE had exactly zero to do with the popularity of the UFC and modern mixed martial arts in general. The only reason there's a coorelation is because athletes from one will occassionally try the other.

From wikipedia:

The history of modern MMA competition can be traced to mixed style contests throughout Europe, Japan, and the Pacific Rim during the early 1900s; In Japan these contests were known as merikan, from the Japanese slang for "American [fighting]". Merikan contests were fought under a variety of rules including points decision, best of three throws or knockdowns, and victory via knockout or submission.

As the popularity of professional wrestling waned after World War I it split into two genres: "shoot", in which the fighters actually competed, and "show", which evolved into modern professional wrestling.

In order to make "bouts" more entertaining for the rubes in the audiences, the guys would sometimes script the ending. Eventually the fake fights became pro wrestling, while the real competitions largely went underground until recent decades. In a weird way, professional wrestling evolved out of MMA (or devolved, if you will).

MMA and sports entertainment is sold. There has to be something interesting there to make you want to buy something. Whether it be the antics of WWE or the promotions of a UFC event.

It's all about marketing. If WWE hadn't set an example' date=' where would MMA be in the media today?[/quote']

Exactly!!!

trollface_RE_My_4_20_shopping_list_lol-s469x428-166755-580.jpg

I think you're incredibly wrong. They had fighting in the first Olympic games. It was only a matter of time before it came back. The world just got pu**iffied for a little while. MMA didn't need men in tights pretend fighting for them to become successfull.

You got trolled hard mate

i read the title.... then read the Author name' date=' and was like WTF?[/quote']

lol Yep, I think it should have been rather obvious that it was a troll attempt. I got some people to believe it.

I didn't read any of the posts before mine until later. Plus I've seen the name and assumed legitimacy. Never again.

lol Whatever, bro.

Archived