Uh oh, Anderson Silva is helping Lyoto Machida train for Jon Jones.

AfflictionRUSH

Maybe Steven Seagal is helping Jon Jones...

Nah, Jones got Chuck Norris. :P

In truth, I've grown weary of all the attention paid to who trains with who. It's like people think these fighters spend a few weeks with another fighter and magically absorb all their skills and abilities. At the level these guys compete at, bringing in a training parter for a while can have some benefit, but it's not going to overhaul their entire fight game...

Oh, and since when is Lyoto and Anderson training together note worthy anyway? They always train together, along with the Nogs and the rest of Black House. That's like me breaking the news that Forrest and Randy train together or Kos and Fitch are rolling on the mat these days...

(Wow, I don't know why that all came out so pessimistic and negative.)

Sig bet. Right now. You down?

Nah, I like you. I never liked sig bets.

Let's just say Machida who couldn't put away Shogun or Rampage, in fact got beaten by both, won't "destroy" the guy who made both of them tap.

Think about it. Machida is awesome, I'm a fan, but KOing Couture with a fancy kick doesn't compare to Jones, a guy who lives to destroy.

His submission defense is unknown

His prevent defense is quite good from what i've seen but escaping when he actually gets caught in something is yet to be seen.

Im sure he knows whats up but still you can't be sharp at everything and if someone brings a game he's not prepared and sets it up right anyone can get caught.

As for OP's topic.

It means nothing, he trains with Silva and blackhouse all the time. All that matters is when the cage door closes can he perform and adapt to the fighter in front of him.

Training with Silva doesn't make you Silva.

Machida is not going to get faster or more elusive at his age and weight. He may get some technique but his foundation is so different that I wonder how much more he can really retain.

Case in point:

Chael Sonnen gave Yushin Okami his bag of tricks........we all know how that fight ended.

It is going to be a good fight and everything changes after the first clean shot gets landed.

This fight is so unpredictable...Obviously more people are gonna say Jones is gonna win because hes doing work at the moment. But if anyone is going to beat Bones it will be Machida...I'm not saying Machida will win but he will give Jones the biggest fight of his career by far. Thank God Rashad is injured. That woulda been a waste of time. This is the real fight. This is a test for both fighters.

This fight is so unpredictable...Obviously more people are gonna say Jones is gonna win because hes doing work at the moment. But if anyone is going to beat Bones it will be Machida...I'm not saying Machida will win but he will give Jones the biggest fight of his career by far. Thank God Rashad is injured. That woulda been a waste of time. This is the real fight. This is a test for both fighters.

Not really

I think Jones already passed his greatest test in beating rampage.

Heavy puncher, hard to takedown and has a granite chin. Unfortunately for Rampage he couldn't get past Jones reach and put the pressure on him while nullifying the takedowns.

I think Machida is going to have to find an answer to Jones fast or get crushed.

Machida has great TDD defense but he's a different beast than Page and im not sure he will be able to stuff jones attempts so easily and if he gets taken down i think he'll get smashed on the ground.

Another thing is that runaway blitzing style plays right into Jones. Jones has an advantage on the outside and won't be baited to chase into Machida's counter blitz. I suspect Jones will pressure and bait him then clinch and waste no time taking him down.

If he gets the takedown i don't think it will last much longer unless Machida can do some serious scrambling and force Jones to get careless.

This. It will be a good one. I wanna see it.

I think the point is being missed here.

Fighters struggle with JBJ because of his unorthodox style, height and long limbs. Finding training partners to replicate this has got to be one of the hardest things in preparing to face him. You could see Rampage struggling with his offence in the fight, that is why he lost. His defensive game was actually very good and the best we have seen against JBJ. He just didnt attack enough and seemed afraid to do so, or out of ideas... It would seem to me that Kongo and his other training partners did not prepare him for what he ended up facing!

Training/sparring with Anderson Silva is the closest you can get to fighting the real JBJ, plus he is the P4P best fighter in the world to boot!

As for what gives Machida a better chance than Shogun/Rampage in addition to this, it is his Karate style. Shogun/Rampage with their Muai Thai/Boxing styles are very direct fighters with predictable heavy footwork. You cant attack a fighter with that much of a reach advantage head-on, you are just going to hit before you get in range. Machida and his style are all about movement on the balls of the feet and moving in angles, therefore cutting the distance in a better way that avoids a lot of attacks.

Look for Machida to hit JBJ a lot from the side angles, stepping out in a diagonal motion before stepping back in for the attack and then back out again.

I think the thing people should be looking at here is perhaps not how Machida will handle JBJ's style, but how JBJ will handle Machida's style...

Archived