wtf is wrong with these forums

T_R_E_O_S

Come on guys this is getting ridiculous I know I don't speak much hear and you guys probably don't care but I like coming to these forums and I have for a long time so it pains me to see it going so far downhill. First off you mods need to change some things up the ridiculous bans have been getting worse, the trolls that you have managed to ban aren't staying gone, and your coverage is terrible. We need more mods, you need to be more sensible, and you need to figure out a way to get this fixed. As far as the members go stop letting the trolls bother you so much shrug it off and wait for the ban. The fact that doc got banned today is ridiculous and shows that the trolls are winning out. We have lost some valued members in the last year and the way things are shaping up I see us losing more. I know this post will mean nothing to a lot of you and the mods probably won't even look but. Come on we need to fix something around here.

NO' date=' people need to stop breaking the rules.[/quote']

No you need to stop ratting on some of our more valid members I don't have a problem with you as a poster and I don't necessarily disagree with members doing their job to police but **** man for as much as you may help you are just kinda being a ****. I don't even really like shin but he is honestly one of the better people we have around here not saying you ratted this time but man lighten up and help us.

Doc flamed a member (a banned member, but a member nonetheless), Shinny did the same. There are rules on the front UFC page that say not to, I get that they were banned. I think there should be leniency with those guys as Shinny is the Forum's most active poster, and Doc has the most popular thread, both are well respected. The member they flamed is a perma banned member who posted pr0n on the forum, yet is allowed to have an alternate account. I think some leniency should be given in this case.

What I don't get at all, was the I (JJKid) was banned for no reason (broke no rules), it was a mistake, that the mod admitted to. My account has yet to be reinstated, it is absurd.

I must say I agree that there needs to more mods who are more efficient. I'm not saying the current mods are bad mods, not at all. What I am saying is, they need to be more active, and also respect public opinion, after all, the members are what makes the forum run, not the mods or rules.

For some reason, internet moderation has become a sort of pseudo-cop of the interwebs; when in reality, they are only a volunteer supervisor of an apartment building who is there to ensure the place doesn't burn down. I feel as though the mods of every site needs to realize their place, and their intended function, rather than their assumed role.

Why should something I enjoy doing be hindered by someone else's mistake?

I must say I agree that there needs to more mods who are more efficient. I'm not saying the current mods are bad mods' date=' not at all. What I am saying is, they need to be more active, and also respect public opinion, after all, the members are what makes the forum run, not the mods or rules.[/b']

I agree and would like to nominate myself.

Doc flamed a member (a banned member' date=' but a member nonetheless), Shinny did the same. There are rules on the front UFC page that say not to, I get that they were banned. I think there should be leniency with those guys as Shinny is the Forum's most active poster, and Doc has the most popular thread, both are well respected. The member they flamed is a perma banned member who posted pr0n on the forum, yet is allowed to have an alternate account. I think some leniency should be given in this case.

What I don't get at all, was the I (JJKid) was banned for no reason (broke no rules), it was a mistake, that the mod admitted to. My account has yet to be reinstated, it is absurd.

[b']

I must say I agree that there needs to more mods who are more efficient. I'm not saying the current mods are bad mods, not at all. What I am saying is, they need to be more active, and also respect public opinion, after all, the members are what makes the forum run, not the mods or rules.

For some reason, internet moderation has become a sort of pseudo-cop of the interwebs; when in reality, they are only a volunteer supervisor of an apartment building who is there to ensure the place doesn't burn down. I feel as though the mods of every site needs to realize their place, and their intended function, rather than their assumed role.

Why should something I enjoy doing be hindered by someone else's mistake?[/b]

I completely agree and I am aware of your case I think its crap and a shame it happened. Im not saying hey throw out special treatment left and right but man the bans are getting ridiculous and the mods have poor coverage at the moment, not saying that they are doing a bad job. But come on we have trolls coming on here working there way around bans and when a member speaks up they get tossed in the ban hamper its ridiculous and seems a poor way to handle things.

I feel like we repeat this cycle several times a year - a couple of "respected" posters go overboard and break the rules, the mods then ban them as they are required to do (this is a corporate website, they are obligated to uphold corporate standards). Then a few people go overboard about the outrage of the aforementioned banned posters, despite it usually being a case of only a few days or weeks they must serve their "sentence" for. IF we continue in the same single loop learning dilemma we've established for ourselves historically, the next step will be a few outraged posters going out of their way to prove a point as to the mildness of the original banned posters offenses...this will include them trying to try break rules in an attempt to "get back" at the mods, when all they are doing in effect is digging themselves into the same hole that their predecessors dug. This will culminate with a multitude of sock accounts being made for the sole purposes of "trolling" and a handful of IP bans will be doled out as a number of regular posters scream and cry about the injustice of the mod situation here.

Outside of JJKid, I have yet to hear of a mod banning someone for unjust cause. If rules are broken, they must enforce the punishments associated with them - a member calling for leniency due to a poster's popularity is in actuality asking for them to display favoritism. THAT would be an abuse of power. As it stands now, there is universal enforcement of the rules, I can not for the life of me understand how so many find that to be offensive.

I feel like we repeat this cycle several times a year - a couple of "respected" posters go overboard and break the rules' date=' the mods then ban them as they are required to do (this is a corporate website, they are obligated to uphold corporate standards). Then a few people go overboard about the outrage of the aforementioned banned posters, despite it usually being a case of only a few days or weeks they must serve their "sentence" for. [i']IF[/i] we continue in the same single loop learning dilemma we've established for ourselves historically, the next step will be a few outraged posters going out of their way to prove a point as to the mildness of the original banned posters offenses...this will include them trying to try break rules in an attempt to "get back" at the mods, when all they are doing in effect is digging themselves into the same hole that their predecessors dug. This will culminate with a multitude of sock accounts being made for the sole purposes of "trolling" and a handful of IP bans will be doled out as a number of regular posters scream and cry about the injustice of the mod situation here.

Outside of JJKid, I have yet to hear of a mod banning someone for unjust cause. If rules are broken, they must enforce the punishments associated with them - a member calling for leniency due to a poster's popularity is in actuality asking for them to display favoritism. THAT would be an abuse of power. As it stands now, there is universal enforcement of the rules, I can not for the life of me understand how so many find that to be offensive.

+1, however I think like a proper justice system, they will show leniency towards those who have proven to be contributions to the forum, and harsher on the repeat offenders. Hopefully they all recieved 10 day bans like the warning thread states and none are permanent.

More members need to use the report button and just ignore obvious trolls. Am I a rat for doing so? **** it' date=' I don't care, call me a rat. But what's the point of all this complaining about trolls then complaining people are reporting them?[/quote']

Reporting is anonymous and often times it is smart to do. I'd definitely say that it's smarter than going ahead and getting yourself banned along with a troll. A troll which then proceeds to make 2 dozen other alternate accounts. Just sayin'.

Reporting is anonymous and often times it is smart to do. I'd definitely say that it's smarter than going ahead and getting yourself banned along with a troll. A troll which then proceeds to make 2 dozen other alternate accounts. Just sayin'.

+1.......sometimes it's tough to ignore the trolls though, especially ones as dumb as bright

+1.......sometimes it's tough to ignore the trolls though' date=' especially ones as dumb as bright[/quote']

I figure most regulars should be used to it by now. If you feel that someone is breaking the rules though, just click the Report This button -> Fill out a little summary as to what's wrong with the post -> Wait for the "Banned" text to appear under the troll's forum account name provided they were actually breaking the rules.

Here's an example:

reportthis.png

Not a fan of snitching and the enviroment that creates.

Is everyone gonna go taddle now for hurt feelings over the internet.

Then the mods have 10,000 reports to look at 99.9 % no doubt over trivial stuff.

I've been a member of many forums and never been banned from any of them and from what i've seen it's best to just ignore it if it bothers you.

Not a fan of snitching and the enviroment that creates.

Is everyone gonna go taddle now for hurt feelings over the internet.

Then the mods have 10' date='000 reports to look at 99.9 % no doubt over trivial stuff.

I've been a member of many forums and never been banned from any of them and from what i've seen it's best to just ignore it if it bothers you.[/quote']

Ideally it's probably best to ignore it if it bothers you, but in reality, most members don't ignore it and they just ignite the flame bait. What happens when this flame bait gets ignited? It explodes and takes forum members with it along with the troll. Who wins? The troll does.

Easier solution? Just report the troll and ignore it temporarily. Since said troll is reported, at least you won't have to try and ignore it permanently. You can't tell me that it'd create a worse environment than what's already present. It's completely anonymous and I imagine that it helps the mods in certain situations. Like when there's massive spam of obscene images . . . <.< o.O ... >.>

Often times you'll have bad people telling you that snitching is bad and what not simply because they have nothing to gain when someone snitches and everything to lose. Not every situation warrants "snitching", so using your judgement and logic is advised. Generally it's smart to use those two anyways.

Ideally it's probably best to ignore it if it bothers you' date=' but in reality, most members don't ignore it and they just ignite the flame bait. What happens when this flame bait gets ignited? It explodes and takes forum members with it along with the troll. Who wins? The troll does.

Easier solution? Just report the troll and ignore it temporarily. Since said troll is reported, at least you won't have to try and ignore it permanently. You can't tell me that it'd create a worse environment than what's already present. It's completely anonymous and I imagine that it helps the mods in certain situations. Like when there's massive spam of obscene images . . . <.< o.O ... >.>

Often times you'll have bad people telling you that snitching is bad and what not simply because they have nothing to gain when someone snitches and everything to lose. Not every situation warrants "snitching", so using your judgement and logic is advised. Generally it's smart to use those two anyways.[/quote']

Here's the problem though. Define troll.

What's the line that determines one and who's to judge someone's crossed it.

I don't always come here for serious discussion. Some of the shenanigans for lack of a better word are humourous and harmless. Other times your right it can turn into a flamewar but some of the best discussions started as a troll thread.

Another thing is i butt heads with a few posters here i disagree with from time to time and there's sort of a light hearted jabbing with them that's pretty funny sometimes even if it's at my own expense i can laugh at myself. It's nothing personal. People are taking things way way too seriously.

I agree with you on obscene images and the habitual spamming of trolling/flame threads. That gets old and tends to de-rail or kill good discussion but if this place becomes too serious at the expense of harmless humour then count me out.

If this forum becomes a butthurt snitcher's paradise well i don't think i could enjoy this place anymore.

Here's the problem though. Define troll.

What's the line that determines one and who's to judge someone's crossed it.

I don't always come here for serious discussion. Some of the shenanigans for lack of a better word are humourous and harmless. Other times your right it can turn into a flamewar but some of the best discussions started as a troll thread.

Another thing is i butt heads with a few posters here i disagree with from time to time and there's sort of a light hearted jabbing with them that's pretty funny sometimes even if it's at my own expense i can laugh at myself. It's nothing personal. People are taking things way way too seriously.

I agree with you on obscene images and the habitual spamming of trolling/flame threads. That gets old and tends to de-rail or kill good discussion but if this place becomes too serious at the expense of harmless humour then count me out.

If this forum becomes a butthurt snitcher's paradise well i don't think i could enjoy this place anymore.

Well' date=' since I'm not a moderator it really doesn't matter what I think in terms of how I define a troll. However, when one is to use the report button (Which they should in some cases), they should look out for the following: [i']"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."[/i]

I'm pretty sure most trolls fall into that category. I'm definitely not suggesting for everyone to forget their human side and become robots. Not at all. However, when someone like Bright comes around and creates problematic posts and threads, hit the report button instead of getting yourself banned. If you don't care to hit the report button, then just ignore it and hopefully the moderators will catch the perpetrators sooner rather than later.

If you rather do without rules, then you should probably try Camel Dog. Rules are in place for a reason. Definitely has nothing to do with "a butthurt snitcher's paradise". o.O ...

Click "report" , ignore the troll. No one but the mods and I know if you did, and we certainly don't tell who reports... in fact you'd all be pretty surprised at how many people do report, and how very often it's helpful for us to see there is a real situation to deal with (like the obscene pics overnight).

As for JJKid, the account isn't banned, according to the system. Which means, if he still can't log in, some technical glitch means he will just have to live with new account. No one is owed justice.

Click "report" ' date=' ignore the troll. No one but the mods and I know if you did, and we certainly don't tell who reports... in fact you'd all be pretty surprised at how many people do report, and how very often it's helpful for us to see there is a real situation to deal with (like the obscene pics overnight).

As for JJKid, the account isn't banned, according to the system. Which means, if he still can't log in, some technical glitch means he will just have to live with new account. No one is owed justice.[/quote']

So there you have it, an administrator encouraging the use of the report button. It's helpful and it's there for a reason. :)

JJKid's situation seems a little unfortunate, but not too much. He received a public apology from a Moderator (A super moderator at that o.o) and is allowed to use his alternate account. I'm hoping that it isn't a case of "I want my account back because I want my post count back". o.o ... *Shrugs*

Well' date=' since I'm not a moderator it really doesn't matter what I think in terms of how I define a troll. However, when one is to use the report button (Which they should in some cases), they should look out for the following: [i']"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."[/i]

I'm pretty sure most trolls fall into that category. I'm definitely not suggesting for everyone to forget their human side and become robots. Not at all. However, when someone like Bright comes around and creates problematic posts and threads, hit the report button instead of getting yourself banned. If you don't care to hit the report button, then just ignore it and hopefully the moderators will catch the perpetrators sooner rather than later.

If you rather do without rules, then you should probably try Camel Dog. Rules are in place for a reason. Definitely has nothing to do with "a butthurt snitcher's paradise". o.O ...

I follow the rules just fine all im saying is no big deal. I don't need to use the report button to be a "good" poster and contribute here.

So there you have it' date=' an administrator encouraging the use of the report button. It's helpful and it's there for a reason. :)

JJKid's situation seems a little unfortunate, but not too much. He received a public apology from a Moderator (A super moderator at that o.o) and [b']is allowed to use his alternate account. [/b]I'm hoping that it isn't a case of "I want my account back because I want my post count back". o.o ... *Shrugs*

he's lucky he wasn't perma banned right of the bat for that lol.

I follow the rules just fine all im saying is no big deal. I don't need to use the report button to be a "good" poster and contribute here.

I'm not saying that you have to use the report button to be a good poster and contribute here. Not at all.

All I've been saying is that it's a better alternative to the following: A) complaining about trolling and then pretending that the report button is beneath you while proceeding to complain about people who do report trolls. B) Getting yourself banned in the process of inappropriately interacting with a troll. That's all I'm saying.

Click "report" ' date=' ignore the troll. No one but the mods and I know if you did, and we certainly don't tell who reports... in fact you'd all be pretty surprised at how many people do report, and how very often it's helpful for us to see there is a real situation to deal with (like the obscene pics overnight).

As for JJKid, the account isn't banned, according to the system. Which means, if he still can't log in, some technical glitch means he will just have to live with new account. No one is owed justice.[/quote']

Thanks Leonie.

It is awesome that you can still find time to help out around here with everything else you do!!!!

Much respect!

That seriously sucks. A glitch in the system was what got me banned in the first place... :confused:

You have been banned for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

So there you have it' date=' an administrator encouraging the use of the report button. It's helpful and it's there for a reason. :)

JJKid's situation seems a little unfortunate, but not too much. He received a public apology from a Moderator (A super moderator at that o.o) and is allowed to use his alternate account. I'm hoping that it isn't a case of "I want my account back because I want my post count back". o.o ... *Shrugs*[/quote']

I assure you it has nothing to do with number of posts. More the posts made, I have breakdowns that took me hours bound to that account, I had a friend make me custom Avatar for that account, and it was banned for no reason.

I assure you it has nothing to do with number of posts. More the posts made' date=' I have breakdowns that took me hours bound to that account, I had a friend make me custom Avatar for that account, and it was banned for no reason.[/quote']

I imagine that the people that matter to you would know that you're JJKid and those posts which are "bound" to that account are still there. As for the custom avatar, you could probably ask your friend to give it to you again as he or she probably has a copy of it stored in their computer. That is if you don't already have a copy of it stored in your computer. o.o

Just sayin'.

I imagine that the people that matter to you would know that you're JJKid and those posts which are "bound" to that account are still there. As for the custom avatar' date=' you could probably ask your friend to give it to you again as he or she probably has a copy of it stored in their computer. That is if you don't already have a copy of it stored in your computer. o.o

Just sayin'.[/quote']

No, it isn't stored on my computer, I have had two new computers since receiving the AV. The other problem, is my email is no longer linked with the account. I do have access to the AV though, through CD. I am just making JJKIID.

No' date=' it isn't stored on my computer, I have had two new computers since receiving the AV. The other problem, is my email is no longer linked with the account. I do have access to the AV though, through CD. I am just making JJKIID.[/quote']

You can Ban this now G__Row, if you feel the need. I have no use.:D

I imagine that the people that matter to you would know that you're JJKid and those posts which are "bound" to that account are still there. As for the custom avatar' date=' you could probably ask your friend to give it to you again as he or she probably has a copy of it stored in their computer. That is if you don't already have a copy of it stored in your computer. o.o

Just sayin'.[/quote']

A voice of reason, thanks!

And JJKid, thanks as well.

Archived