How likely is this scenario, seriously... UFC 137

JonesyUK

Condit defeats GSP, Penn defeats Diaz, the next title fight booked is then Condit v Penn :eek:

This could happen, but how likely do you seriously see this happening?

I think Condit is a better challenger than many people seem to give him credit for and he can take the fight to GSP whether in the stand-up, on the ground or against the cage. He has proved this. Whether or not he can do enough to get W, that is hard to say...

BJ is BJ, he can win a fight against anyone in the WW division on his night, plus with Diaz being a boxer/BJJ artist, he does not have to worry about a wrestler bigger than him in size just trying hold him down. This is his kind of fight, it is just going to be a case of what BJ turns up on the night!

How likely do you see this scenario ACTUALLY happening?

Condit defeats GSP' date=' Penn defeats Diaz, the next title fight booked is then Condit v Penn :eek:

This could happen, but how likely do you seriously see this happening?

I think Condit is a better challenger than many people seem to give him credit for and he can take the fight to GSP whether in the stand-up, on the ground or against the cage. He has proved this. Whether or not he can do enough to get W, that is hard to say...

BJ is BJ, he can win a fight against anyone in the WW division on his night, plus with Diaz being a boxer/BJJ artist, he does not have to worry about a wrestler bigger than him in size just trying hold him down. This is his kind of fight, it is just going to be a case of what BJ turns up on the night!

How likely do you see this scenario ACTUALLY happening?[/quote']

well I have Condit and Diaz, both winning by tko, but I do think that regardless of what happens the only certainty as to the next title fight is that it won't be GSP vs Penn 3

I dont see how anyone can think that either of these fights are a foregone conclusion?

I have GSP as the favourite against Condit, but i am a Condit fan and believe he could always win this fight at anytime if GSP slips up.

I have Penn as the favourite against Diaz... Diaz has faced a much lower calibre of fighter in Strikeforce, that is a fact. I have no doubt the kid is skilled, but Penn seems highly motivated and in great condition. On his day, Penn is undoubtedly the no2 WW in the world (cue the Fitch ****s!).

Whatever happens, these two fights are going to be something special :cool:

It's probable but i honestly don't think it is all that likely.

There has been alot of pressure building up with George and his fighting style so it wouldn't surprize me if it's his time to lose. It will be interesting to see how he handles the added pressure and if he's trained with the right approach and can adapt to the challenge that Condit poses. People are already writing Condit off and in this sport the only people that do that are the fans and ignorant over confident fighters.

The thing about Georges style that presents a problem for himself against any opponent is because he doesn't put them away they always have that chance to pull that rabbit out of the hat so to speak and anyone that knows anything about mma is that all it takes is one little error and it's over. He gives his opponents time to learn him.

On the other hand knowing all this does GSP come out and fight a little wreckless trying to force a finish? There's danger in that too. I think it's a thin line he will have to walk against an opponent like Condit.

As for BJ when i look at that fight i see no feasable way for him to beat Diaz unless he can somehow not allow Diaz to dictate the pace, find his rhythem and put him away early.

BJ does have KO power but unless Diaz gets really wreckless which he's been known to do looking to turn up the preesure to get the finish i don't see BJ taking out Nick.

I also think BJ has too much pride in the just scrap mentality and he will get worn down, eventually hurt and tko'd.

However If he comes in as a mixed martial artist and controls the pace

and turns it up when need be picking his spots it could really be a war but even then i don't see him getting it done unless he can put Nick away early.

Diaz doesnt stand a chance' date=' he is far too overrated[/quote']

Diaz has a lot of skill I dont think hes overrated bt I think this match up favors Penn. GSP has said he thinks he can KO or sub Condit (which made me laugh) so clearly all the criticism is getting to him and he wants a finsh, but I dont see him taking any risk at all agianst Condit he will most likely do what he does best and thats just enough to keep the belt nothing more.

It's probable but i honestly don't think it is all that likely.

There has been alot of pressure building up with George and his fighting style so it wouldn't surprize me if it's his time to lose. It will be interesting to see how he handles the added pressure and if he's trained with the right approach and can adapt to the challenge that Condit poses. People are already writing Condit off and in this sport the only people that do that are the fans and ignorant over confident fighters.

The thing about Georges style that presents a problem for himself against any opponent is because he doesn't put them away they always have that chance to pull that rabbit out of the hat so to speak and anyone that knows anything about mma is that all it takes is one little error and it's over. He gives his opponents time to learn him.

On the other hand knowing all this does GSP come out and fight a little wreckless trying to force a finish? There's danger in that too. I think it's a thin line he will have to walk against an opponent like Condit.

As for BJ when i look at that fight i see no feasable way for him to beat Diaz unless he can somehow not allow Diaz to dictate the pace' date=' find his rhythem and put him away early.

BJ does have KO power but unless Diaz gets really wreckless which he's been known to do looking to turn up the preesure to get the finish i don't see BJ taking out Nick.

I also think BJ has too much pride in the just scrap mentality and he will get worn down, eventually hurt and tko'd.

However If he comes in as a mixed martial artist and controls the pace

and turns it up when need be picking his spots it could really be a war but even then i don't see him getting it done unless he can put Nick away early.[/quote']

Penn who has never even been knocked down in a fight getting tkoed by a guy coming out of strikeforce is as likely as Condit lay and praying GSP

Penn who has never even been knocked down in a fight getting tkoed by a guy coming out of strikeforce is as likely as Condit lay and praying GSP

Penn has never fought anyone like Nick, the pace, reach, conditioning and skillset Nick has presents alot of problems for BJ. You thought Frankie was bad.....

If he comes out to scrap and doesn't get it done early he will lose and lose badly.

If he comes out unpredictible mixing his grappling and striking game it will be a war.

Either way if he can't take him out early or control the pace Nick has a good chance of finishing when he gets tired and he will with the furious constant in your face pace that Nick has.

Accumulation of damage and fatigue can best even the most iron jaws.

Penn has never fought anyone like Nick' date=' the pace, reach, conditioning and skillset Nick has presents alot of problems for BJ. You thought Frankie was bad.....

If he comes out to scrap and doesn't get it done early he will lose and lose badly.

If he comes out unpredictible mixing his grappling and striking game it will be a war.

Either way if he can't take him out early or control the pace Nick has a good chance of finishing when he gets tired and he will with the furious constant in your face pace that Nick has.

Accumulation of damage and fatigue can best even the most iron jaws.[/quote']

The only top striker Diaz has ever fought is Daley and whos the best striker Daley fought outside of Diaz? Kampmann? People dont seem to nderstand Diaz doesnt use movement to avoid strikes he stands right in front of people throwing and we have all seen what happens when people stand in front od Penn. Diaz has a chance at a desecison thats his only hope Penn wont gas ina 3 round and him getting finished is as likely as gsp getting a finish.

I think the interesting aspect of Penn v Diaz, is that Penn is probably as good if not a better BJJ practitioner than Diaz, so that aura of invincibility Diaz has brought into Strikeforce on the ground won't faze BJ. BJ has never been submitted in his 30+ MMA fights.

BJ has usually come unstuck against wrestlers, which Diaz is not. It comes down to the stand-up game really and i dont think that with the level of competition Diaz has faced you can say that he holds the advantage over BJ in this department... He may well have, but we wont know this until that bell rings :cool:

As for GSP v Condit, Condit poses a threat because he is a pressure fighter, not afraid of the clinch or takedown, a not afraid to take a hit in order to gain an advantage position. This is the threat that Condit brings to GSP and also the reason why GSP will be forced to either try and finish Condit or get finished by Condit. I would be shocked if this went to a decision, shocked.

BJ is going to do that really stupid thing where he stands in middle flat footed and tries to ko diaz in one shot, like he did against Frankie. He won't initiate a takedown, and I think he will have a hard time finding diaz, will gas and diaz will then take him out

The only top striker Diaz has ever fought is Daley and whos the best striker Daley fought outside of Diaz? Kampmann? People dont seem to nderstand Diaz doesnt use movement to avoid strikes he stands right in front of people throwing and we have all seen what happens when people stand in front od Penn. Diaz has a chance at a desecison thats his only hope Penn wont gas ina 3 round and him getting finished is as likely as gsp getting a finish.

People underestimate Nick's skills all the time. BJ is a midgit fighting other midgits. He is going to have a problem with Nick's reach.

On the gassing thing alot of fighters who thought they were conditioned for three rounds found out they couldn't handle the pace and were gassed after the first round from getting peppered constanty and everytime they rushed in to deal with the reach they get countered or missed in desperation which only accelerates them gassing and crushes thier confidence even more.

So what usually happens is they find themselves turtling in pure defensive mode looking for desperation shots and that's when Nicks starts ripping the body and puts people away.

Ofcourse thats were the danger lies because he gets over zealous sometimes.

We will see how it all plays out though. I don't like to predict fights cause anything can happen but i see far too many people underestimating Nick's abilities and his strategy and i think Penn is gonna have a hard time dealing with it if he just comes to scrap.

People underestimate Nick's skills all the time. BJ is a midgit fighting other midgits. He is going to have a problem with Nick's reach.

On the gassing thing alot of fighters who thought they were conditioned for three rounds found out they couldn't handle the pace and were gassed after the first round from getting peppered constanty and everytime they rushed in to deal with the reach they get countered or missed in desperation which only accelerates them gassing and crushes thier confidence even more.

So what usually happens is they find themselves turtling in pure defensive mode looking for desperation shots and that's when Nicks starts ripping the body and puts people away.

Ofcourse thats were the danger lies because he gets over zealous sometimes.

We will see how it all plays out though. I don't like to predict fights cause anything can happen but i see far too many people underestimating Nick's abilities and his strategy and i think Penn is gonna have a hard time dealing with it if he just comes to scrap.

So everything your saying is based on a small reach advantage and the fact that sometimes fighters gas. You really sound like you know what your talking about there chief. By the way Bj spent a couple weeks training with Floyd Mayweather Sr before his last fight figuring out how to se his striking against someone taller with a reach advantage, bt you sound like you have it all figured out so Im sure you knew that

So everything your saying is based on a small reach advantage and the fact that sometimes fighters gas. You really sound like you know what your talking about there chief. By the way Bj spent a couple weeks training with Floyd Mayweather Sr before his last fight figuring out how to se his striking against someone taller with a reach advantage' date=' bt you sound like you have it all figured out so Im sure you knew that[/quote']

NO It's not just about reach. Everyone tries to discredit his boxing and his strategy and how well he uses his attributes yet he's finished a ton of people with it who are good strikers that people claim are cans and if that's not enough he trains with world champion boxer Andre Ward all the time.

If it's true BJ has hired Floyd Sr. don't you think he's taking Nick's boxing seriously.

I can gaurantee you Penn is not taking Nick as lightly as you are.

I know what im talking about people just like to hate on Nick.

NO It's not just about reach. Everyone tries to discredit his boxing and his strategy and how well he uses his attributes yet he's finished a ton of people with it who are good strikers that people claim are cans and if that's not enough he trains with world champion boxer Andre Ward all the time.

If it's true BJ has hired Floyd Sr. don't you think he's taking Nick's boxing seriously.

I can gaurantee you Penn is not taking Nick as lightly as you are.

I know what im talking about people just like to hate on Nick.

Ive never hated on Nick been a Diaz fan since day one, but youve said the same thing everyone says before Bj's fights. Its always Bj will gas he wont be able to handle the pace or size disadvantage, he will get finished same thing every fight. If you look at this fight realisticly then Bj is the better pick boxing wise they are both skilled you cant say either is better ntill they actually fight, Bjj they are both good bt only one is the prodigy and a world champ, and wrestling wouldnt be a contest Diaz couldnt take Bj down to save his life and Bj has always been good at taking people down he jst doesnt show it much. Diaz has a good chin but he not impossible to hit and has been down before Bj has neverr been down and can you name anyone hes ever knocked down and didnt finish? I think you jst have the opinion of someone that wants Bj to lose.

Ive never hated on Nick been a Diaz fan since day one' date=' but youve said the same thing everyone says before Bj's fights. Its always Bj will gas he wont be able to handle the pace or size disadvantage, he will get finished same thing every fight. If you look at this fight realisticly then Bj is the better pick boxing wise they are both skilled you cant say either is better ntill they actually fight, Bjj they are both good bt only one is the prodigy and a world champ, and wrestling wouldnt be a contest Diaz couldnt take Bj down to save his life and Bj has always been good at taking people down he jst doesnt show it much. Diaz has a good chin but he not impossible to hit and has been down before Bj has neverr been down and can you name anyone hes ever knocked down and didnt finish? I think you jst have the opinion of someone that wants Bj to lose.[/quote']

I like both of them as fighters and i have no favorite. I would actually rather neither lose if that makes any sense.

That's just my opinion on what i think "might" happen based on thier skill sets, attributes, where they are in thier careers and how they matchup stylistically.

BJ may do great against Nick that's certainly possible. I just think he won't because of the reasons i've already explained.

Penn has never fought anyone like Nick' date=' the pace, reach, conditioning and skillset Nick has presents alot of problems for BJ. You thought Frankie was bad.....

Accumulation of damage and fatigue can best even the most iron jaws.[/quote']

You looks like delusional, Diaz absolutely sucks, he stands no chance. If you want to make Penn in trouble, you must be a superior wrestler, other than that, no way. Even Machida couldnot outstrike Penn. I foresee a brutal KO by Penn.

I have BJ Penn beating Diaz in extremely convincing fashion, it's the championship fight I have doubts about.

I agree that Condit is a much better challenge for GSP's title than people think - He's well-rounded enough to do damage on the feet and at least not get mauled on the ground, and he has the kind of style where he's more than willing to put himself in danger to get the win. He stood with, and knocked out, Dan Hardy back when people still thought he was a BAMF in the stand-up, and he clearly has the kind of drive to go out there and go for broke considering what we saw in the MacDonald fight. Despite all that though, I think GSP's grappling is going to prove better, and one way or another, Condit loses that fight on the ground.

I can see it being very likely.

BJ I think will be able to cause enough damage on Diaz due to a stoppage (most likely due to cuts since Diaz has alot of scar tissue) and maybe a semi controversial ref stoppage (semi because Diaz has a great chin and I think he won't be put completely out)

Condit I think is ready for his shot and unlike many of the people on the board who think GSP will answer his critics with a good performance I think he'll revert to Safe Pierre after Condit lands a few shots (which he will) and that he'll put too much pressure on GSP to survive.

Penn has never fought anyone like Nick' date=' the pace, reach, conditioning and skillset Nick has presents alot of problems for BJ. You thought Frankie was bad.[/quote']

Wrong, Bj has fought and destroyed Diego Sanchez who has a frantic pace, and has already beaten Diaz before.

People like Diaz fit BJs style very well. Wild, and wreckless with a frantic pace, leaving openings left and right. BJ will bust his chops, and expose him yet again.

Diaz is a top fighter at any other organization, but he would be beaten by Penn, Condit, Fitch, GPS (obviously), Thiago and Kos..

ooooh, he beat Daley, a man who's biggest win was Martin Kampmann. Hey Tyrone Woodley beat Daley too! Does that mean he can beat every top WW in the UFC just like Diaz can? Man I must not have gotten the memo that beating Daley was a ticket to the UFC championship.

If you are trying to jump on the next big thing badwagon, get ready for a derailing, because that train isn't gonna get to the station.

Archived