A post against immediate rematches...

RussReign

Is it just me?

Personally I feel that when someone beats a title holder, there should be no immediate rematch. I think we are getting a little too "rematch happy" in general.

I mean look at it this way - say GSP loses to Condit. GSP fights TWICE A YEAR. If he is given an immediate rematch, what we are effectively saying is that Condit has to beat GSP twice to become the champion.

This is also bogging down the entire division for at least a year.

Is anyone with me on this?

I agree, depending on the circumstances. if the champ loses fairly he should NOT get an immediate rematch. Obviously for edgar/maynard 2 or shogun machida 1 they were controversial and warrented a rematch imo, but no of this "well he was the champ for so long lets give him another chance" bull crap. Let them fight their way back up like everyone else.

If GSP loses, then Condit faces the winner of Diaz vs Penn. Unless it's like a draw or something in which case an immediate rematch is acceptable.

If GSP loses I predict the title fights will be:

Condit vs Penn (Penn's gonna beat Diaz)

Condit/Penn vs Ellenberger

Condit/Penn vs GSP

GSP vs Macdonald (Jackson's rivalry, again)

For the most part I agree that immediate rematches are bull. It's acceptable in the case of a draw or a clear cut bad decision but otherwise let the new champion move on & let the old champ fight thier way back to a title. Edgar vs Penn is a good example of an immediate rematch that shouldn't have happened. Edgar clearly won on points & BJ probably would have put in a better performance if he had fought a couple of times before getting Edgar again. Instead all we got is a BJ that probably thought Edgar got lucky & didn't put in the effort he would have otherwise.

Is it just me?

Personally I feel that when someone beats a title holder' date=' there should be no immediate rematch. I think we are getting a little too "rematch happy" in general.

I mean look at it this way - say GSP loses to Condit. GSP fights TWICE A YEAR. If he is given an immediate rematch, what we are effectively saying is that Condit has to beat GSP twice to become the champion.

This is also bogging down the entire division for at least a year.

Is anyone with me on this?[/quote']

I think in the case of GSP and silva they have warranted enough time as champion to deserve an immediate rematch.

Archived