How would Aoki fit into the UFC?

JP24

I think he'd get raped. lol He'd be able to take some of the lower dudes, but TBH, even Guillard would beat him.

Aoki is an ace jits user, but his standup is pathetic, and his takedowns are only good enough to get some of the lower guys with less TDD.

I think he'd get raped. lol He'd be able to take some of the lower dudes' date=' but TBH, even Guillard would beat him.

Aoki is an ace jits user, but his standup is pathetic, and his takedowns are only good enough to get some of the lower guys with less TDD.[/quote']

agreed I see a lot of light weights knocking him out

Just not well rounded enough...his jits is better then anyone he step in the cage with...but his striking is no where close to what it needs to be....and his judo/wrestling is not up to par with the other lw

He can get top 10 but no higher then 8...think g-sot

Then again' date=' G-Sot has good hands.. Good standup...

Aoki does not.

So we are tlking mass genocide in the name of god here

lol

I think he'd get raped. lol He'd be able to take some of the lower dudes' date=' but TBH, even Guillard would beat him.

[b']Aoki is an ace jits user, but his standup is pathetic, and his takedowns are only good enough to get some of the lower guys with less TDD[/b].

You pretty much said it perfect...He would definitely be the best jj guy at LW, but I think he would be the LW equivalent of Maia. But IMO the LW division is deeper than the MW so Aoki would probably rank in the 12-20 area.

I think most of his fights would go like him vs Melendez...

Aoki shouldn't be in the UFC.

I really like the guy, he has great skills. But, he just wouldn't cut it.

He should stay in Dream and those lower rate organizations. He can accumulate a great highlight reel vid (he already has a great one now). Maybe in a few years he can improve on his striking and TD's and become a well-rounded fighter.

Maia's stand up is light years ahead of Aoki's

Yeah thats true...but that was the most appropriate comparison I could think of.

Maybe 'hes like the LW version of Maia when Maia first entered the UFC' is better...Maia was able to win fights but only with his ground game...It wasnt until after the Marquardt fight that Maias striking started to noticably improve.

You pretty much said it perfect...He would definitely be the best jj guy at LW' date=' but I think he would be the LW equivalent of Maia. But IMO the LW division is deeper than the MW so Aoki would probably rank in the 12-20 area.

I think most of his fights would go like him vs Melendez...[/quote']

Melendez jumped right into his guard. I wouldn't say EVERYONE.

aoki would beat guillard for sure. people are still on the guillard hype train' date=' dude cant stop a sub if his life depended on it[/quote']

Id agree that if the fight made it to the ground that Aoki would win, but Guillards backround is in wrestling. I dont think Aoki's TDs are good enough to get Guillard to the ground, and if Aoki is forced to stand with him he will either get KOd or lose the same way he did to Melendez.

aoki would beat guillard for sure. people are still on the guillard hype train' date=' dude cant stop a sub if his life depended on it[/quote']

No, I am going to have to say hell no.

Guillard would KO Aoki. Lauzon wouldn't have been so fortunate had Guillard not went out and thrown wild punches and kicks. Guillard got ****y, got caught, and got choked out when he hit the ground.

Aoki wouldn't take Guillard down. Aoki wouldn't catch Guillard with a punch. Aoki's best chance would be to try for a standing submission (that he wouldn't get.)

Maia's stand up is light years ahead of Aoki's

I think Aoki has significantly better Jiu Jitsu than Maia outside of a Gi and especially just Mixed Martial Arts oriented grappling.

Everyone saying Aoki losing to everybody because he can't take anyone down is a little silly, he got more guys with sound wrestling/takedown offense and defense down than you'd think guys.

George Sotiropoulous

Tatsuya Kawajiri

Eddie Alvarez

Gesias Calvacante

Vitor Riberio

Lyle Beerbomb

I think he needs to put on muscle and do a lot of strength training alot with getting a wrestling coach like Munoz, Cormier and so on. I think that could do a lot for him. Sometimes you don't need to be the most well rounded to be the best, just need to be the best at imposing your will.

Aoki is an ace jits user, but his standup is pathetic, and his takedowns are only good enough to get some of the lower guys with less TDD.[/quote']

In all honesty IDK how hes ranked in some peoples top 10's.:confused:

Melendez jumped right into his guard. I wouldn't say EVERYONE.

Melendez sub d is really good though so that has to be added in...he trains at a bjj first gym

Id agree that if the fight made it to the ground that Aoki would win' date=' but Guillards backround is in wrestling. I dont think Aoki's TDs are good enough to get Guillard to the ground, and if Aoki is forced to stand with him he will either get KOd or lose the same way he did to Melendez.[/quote']

i agree but im goin to try and play devils advacate here

Melvin background is wrestling but his tdd is less then par....its his spraw that is really good...he got takendown easy by ronys torres and others

Not saying aoki can take him down at will but it can be done....maia got sonnen down with a judo trip if i remember right and sonnens wrestling is light years ahead of melvins but maia judo is better then aokis but not light years

Melendez sub d is really good though so that has to be added in...he trains at a bjj first gym

i agree but im goin to try and play devils advacate here

Melvin background is wrestling but his tdd is less then par....its his spraw that is really good...he got takendown easy by ronys torres and others

Not saying aoki can take him down at will but it can be done....maia got sonnen down with a judo trip if i remember right and sonnens wrestling is light years ahead of melvins but maia judo is better then aokis but not light years

Thats a good point. I will admit if the fight went to the ground that Aoki would most likely submit Guillard. But I just think that Guillards TDD is better than Aokis TDs/throws. He may be a little more technically sound with his grappling from the clinch, but I think that Guillard would be safe there because of his strength and wrestling background if it came to that, but to be honest I think Guillard would use his footwork to stay out of those situations.

If anything I think Guillards biggest downfall against Aoki would be his carelessness. He showed in the Lauzon fight that he may have a little too much confidence in his athleticism..

You guys are taking for granted that Aoki would go for takedowns. Aoki pulls guard all the ****ing time! No takedowns necessary.

But I do agree, he would get beat by alot of guys in the UFC.

Then again he HAS beaten:

Joachim Hansen

JZ Cavalcante

Caol Uno

Shaolin Riberio

Eddie Alvarez

Kawajiri

Pretty good

Archived