Shane Carwin Has Been Told To Have Surgery Or Retire

Bodini91

?As a man of faith I know that you are never given more burden then you can carry. I feel that the last couple years have tested me in more ways then I have ever imagined. The challenges the being close to greatness and yet so far away has been nothing less then motivating.

I have spent my entire fighting career dealing with injuries from my football career. I have done my best to get through my training and I have been blessed to get through my fights with relatively little to no damage.

As I ramped up my training for UFC 141 my body locked up during training. It wasn?t like the Lesnar fight but my back just tightened up and I froze. I scheduled an MRI and the results showed that my disc in my lower back is into the nerves . My doctor gave me two options; retire and I could probably go on for a few years without surgery or I could undergo surgery and continue my career.

The decision was easy. I have unfinished business. The UFC had me lined up to face one of the best in the world and I am confident I have everything I need to be a Champion. I am scheduling surgery and I hope to return to the Octagon by spring or summer 2012.

I will be in Las Vegas for Halloween weekend for a UFC 137 viewing party. I look forward to a fast and speedy recovery.

Thanks to my sponsors and fans for all of your continued support.?

-Carwin

SOURCE : http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/10/15/shane-carwin-has-been-told-to-have-surgery-or-retire-6306.html

Given his age. i don't think he will be back at all. unfortunate really. but then again Couture came into his prime at 38.

what are your thoughts ?

Given his age. i don't think he will be back at all. unfortunate really. but then again Couture came into his prime at 38.

what are your thoughts ?

There is only one couture and Shane is not him, Shane had one chance to win the title and that was against Brock, i don't think Shane will ever touch Gold in the UFC

If surgery goes well i expect him to be back. It basically said retire or get surgery and since he's getting the surgery it makes me believe he's going to do everything in his power to get back.

Wonder who he was set to face at 141

I hope he gets back. so he can knock out a few cans like Rothwell , Big Nog , Browne.

but i agree with the OP. he will never touch gold again.

There is only one couture and Shane is not him' date=' Shane had one chance to win the title and that was against Brock, i don't think Shane will ever touch Gold in the UFC[/quote']

That's a little harsh don't you think?

He did amazing in the lesnar fight but blew his load due to inexperience...

and gave JDS (now challenger) a hell of a fight. This guys hands are still as dangerous as anybody. If he can recover fully he's definitely worthy of top 10. I mean look what he did to Mir.

and gave JDS (now challenger) a hell of a fight. This guys hands are still as dangerous as anybody. If he can recover fully he's definitely worthy of top 10. I mean look what he did to Mir.

I like Carwin alot but i don't think he can do much, he could definately earn himself a title shot but i don't think he will get past Cain, JDS or Overeem (whoever is champ)

If surgery goes well i expect him to be back. It basically said retire or get surgery and since he's getting the surgery it makes me believe he's going to do everything in his power to get back.

Wonder who he was set to face at 141

Maybe Werdum or Big Foot? A long shot, but I heard they were coming to the UFC, and Werdum was fighting in December - SF or UFC

I have 100% confidence Carwin would beat Brock in a rematch and beat everybody else too.

The exceptions are cain and jds' date=' however i'd still like to see him fight cain and imo with a better gameplan involving more relentless wrestling he could do a better job fighting jds in a rematch.[/quote']

i might agree with this after the Overeem fight. Im sure Lesnar has been working on his striking defense and if he improved in that aspect i could see Lesnar winning again.

Dude, not this at all^

Carwin was just a good punching bag for JDS during their fight, i.e., a good punching bag strong enough to withstand needless punches with his muscular neck.

Carwin should stick to engineering and bodybuilding to make $$$

Dude' date=' not this at all^

Carwin was just a good punching bag for JDS during their fight, i.e., a good punching bag strong enough to withstand needless punches with his muscular neck.

Carwin should stick to engineering and bodybuilding to make $$$[/quote']

so lets just say hypothetically he couldn't beat the top 5 HWs... Your telling me that that is not good enough to stay in the UFC and make money and put on some shows?

Say that about people like Rothwell but you cant about Carwin.

UFC 141 would have been a card full of gorillas. Too bad we can't have him on there. :(

Gotta admit, I was rooting against Shane in his last two fights, but the man is all class and no sass. The HW division needs him and I hope he comes back strong. Didn't he JUST have a back surgery, though? His body just may not be up for all the intense work that goes into this lifestyle.

Carwin is a great dude and I hope to see him back healthy. Yes, his age is a major issues, but it might not be as big of an issue if one believes in the "X number of active years" theory. Some fighters are burnt out and past their primes in their early 30's. Look at Wanderlei Silva for example. Basically, with few exceptions, the theory states that you have a finite amount of years in your MMA game, regardless if you start at 18, 25, 30, or 35. Wanderlei had been in brutal fights for years, so he was already a grizzled veteran with battle scars on his 30th birthday. His record doesn't even speak to all the non-sanctioned fights he probably participated in.

There are limitations of course, but I think the theory has at least some validity. Carwin may or may not have a viable career after he comes back from this surgery, but I wouldn't count him out on his age alone. Matyushenko does OK considering his age.

Carwin was going to be facing Werdum at 141 :mad:

As for all this negative talk about Carwin, this is what really winds me up sometimes about this forum, fans can so fickle and jump on bandwagons when the going is good and then as soon as there is a loss they talk like the guy is a chump and was never any good :rolleyes:

Carwin was 12-0 and no fighter had made it out of the first round against him. He gave Brock an absolute beating in a round that 9/10 times the ref would have stopped the fight. Yes he lost the fight, but if you can show me a HW fighter who can throw 106 strikes in a round and not gas against a massive wrestler like Brock Lesnar...

Carwin survived a first round battering from JDS in a fight that, like most HW fights, was always going to be about who landed the first clean power combination. He then lasted the whole 3 rounds, that deserves respect!

Carwin is still the rank 5 HW in the UFC, period. He would give any of the top 4 a competative and close fight. I just cant wait until he returns so these noobs can be shut up :D

Dang' date=' that would have been a savage ground war. Werdum would pull guard and Shane would probably try to kill him with GNP. Don't know who would've won that won. A real pick 'em fight.[/quote']

The Carwin v Mir fight comes to my mind ;)

Would have been a great match to see though

Carwin was exposed in both the Lesnar and JDS fights. Carwin is a Vitor Belfort of the current HW scene. Just like Vitor, when an opponent is as at least equally as he is, Vitor loses due to cardio problems and lack of superior skills to beat his opponents.

Carwin is just a muscularly big small HW, Wikipedia lists him as 6'1.9" though I think he is more like 5'11" like Couture who is a small HW at 6'1" but is really 5'11".

Carwin should lose 55 pounds and fight at LHW. That way, Carwin will have cardio. However, JBJ will tool him and retire him immediately if Carwin is thrown to JBJ because Carwin is not as good a boxer as JDS.

Carwin just has size and power, and won 12 fights because of that and being a better boxer than Mir was at the time who had subpar boxing skills and was basically a great ground and submission fighter, but Mir has improved his boxing and MT, and I believe would tool Carwin in a second meeting.

Carwin was exposed in both the Lesnar and JDS fights. Carwin is a Vitor Belfort of the current HW scene. Just like Vitor' date=' when an opponent is as at least equally as he is, Vitor loses due to cardio problems and lack of superior skills to beat his opponents.

Carwin is just a muscularly big small HW, Wikipedia lists him as 6'1.9" though I think he is more like 5'11" like Couture who is a small HW at 6'1" but is really 5'11".

Carwin should lose 55 pounds and fight at LHW. That way, Carwin will have cardio. However, JBJ will tool him and retire him immediately if Carwin is thrown to JBJ because Carwin is not as good a boxer as JDS.

Carwin just has size and power, and won 12 fights because of that and being a better boxer than Mir was at the time who had subpar boxing skills and was basically a great ground and submission fighter, but Mir has improved his boxing and MT, and I believe would tool Carwin in a second meeting.[/quote']

:confused:

No, just no

?As a man of faith I know that you are never given more burden then you can carry. I feel that the last couple years have tested me in more ways then I have ever imagined. The challenges the being close to greatness and yet so far away has been nothing less then motivating.

I have spent my entire fighting career dealing with injuries from my football career. I have done my best to get through my training and I have been blessed to get through my fights with relatively little to no damage.

As I ramped up my training for UFC 141 my body locked up during training. It wasn?t like the Lesnar fight but my back just tightened up and I froze. I scheduled an MRI and the results showed that my disc in my lower back is into the nerves . My doctor gave me two options; retire and I could probably go on for a few years without surgery or I could undergo surgery and continue my career.

The decision was easy. I have unfinished business. The UFC had me lined up to face one of the best in the world and I am confident I have everything I need to be a Champion. I am scheduling surgery and I hope to return to the Octagon by spring or summer 2012.

I will be in Las Vegas for Halloween weekend for a UFC 137 viewing party. I look forward to a fast and speedy recovery.

Thanks to my sponsors and fans for all of your continued support.?

-Carwin

SOURCE : http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/10/15/shane-carwin-has-been-told-to-have-surgery-or-retire-6306.html

what are your thoughts ?

With modern medicine (steroids) he can easily come back.

Carwin can beat the lower half of the top ten' date=' but the top 5 elite HW's( JDS, Cain, Lesnar,

Overeem, and Kharitonov ) would tool him, and they would make Carwin choke on his

stand up fighting like JDS did to Carwin. :cool:[/quote']

Just because he lost to Brock and JDS, that does not immediately mean he cant beat the likes of Cain and Overeem... Why you include Kharitonov i dont know :confused: Carwin would go through him in round one.

The important thing with Carwin is to remember that he was beating Brock, convincingly, but gassed and lost. We all know 9/10 in any other fight the ref would have stopped the fight in R1.

Against JDS, he lasted the whole three rounds and JDS could not finish him.

To rule Carwin out is a big mistake for any MMA fan

Just because he lost to Brock and JDS' date=' that does not immediately mean he cant beat the likes of Cain and Overeem... Why you include Kharitonov i dont know :confused: Carwin would go through him in round one.

The important thing with Carwin is to remember that he was beating Brock, convincingly, but gassed and lost. We all know 9/10 in any other fight the ref would have stopped the fight in R1.

Against JDS, he lasted the whole three rounds and JDS could not finish him.

To rule Carwin out is a big mistake for any MMA fan[/quote']

Carwin is simply a great, small gas tank, overly muscular, exciting to watch, brawler.

Archived