+1000

JJKIID

Does anyone else find this concept a tad narcissistic?

I mean, the general idea of "+1" is that you yourself are the numeric value, and the addition is merely to add yourself to the quoted post, rather than typing out a duplicate of the same opinion.

However, I see people do this all the time, they post "+1000" or "+1,000,000" or some variation, with multiple digits. Is this to say that your own opinion being the same as another's is equal to that of 1000 people? Or is it an assumption that at least that many would agree, and you are answering on their behalf?

Perhaps I am putting forth far too much though on the matter, but these things dig at me. :)

+ 100 means that they would agree with the statement if asked a 100 times

Under what circumstance would anyone ask the same question 100 times?

Is this like first grade where another child would try to irritate you by repeating various phrases over and over? I can't imagine any modern situation where that would be of use.

Secondly, why would your opinion change, and would it change after the 99th answer, if you hadn't said "+100"? If I say "+1", to agree with another poster's statement, does that suggest that if I were asked a second time I would now disagree?

+1000 doesn't mean they represent 1'000 people' date=' it means that the more digits follow the first numeral, the more they agree with the post they reference.[/quote']

+1 is enough for me. I never do more than a +1, and sometimes I do a -1.

Under what circumstance would anyone ask the same question 100 times?

Is this like first grade where another child would try to irritate you by repeating various phrases over and over? I can't imagine any modern situation where that would be of use.

Secondly' date=' why would your opinion change, and would it change after the 99th answer, if you hadn't said "+100"? If I say "+1", to agree with another poster's statement, does that suggest that if I were asked a second time I would now disagree?[/quote']

Ok your right my theory sucks :P

Enigma's is the most accurate i would say

Does anyone else find this concept a tad narcissistic?

I mean' date=' the general idea of "+1" is that you yourself are the numeric value, and the addition is merely to add yourself to the quoted post, rather than typing out a duplicate of the same opinion.

However, I see people do this all the time, they post "+1000" or "+1,000,000" or some variation, with multiple digits. Is this to say that your own opinion being the same as another's is equal to that of 1000 people? Or is it an assumption that at least that many would agree, and you are answering on their behalf?

Perhaps I am putting forth far too much though on the matter, but these things dig at me. :)[/quote']

~Todd Solondz~

Narcissism and self-deception are survival mechanisms without which many of us might just jump off a bridge.

~Sigmund Freud~

Whoever loves becomes humble. Those who love have, so to speak, pawned a part of their narcissism.

I believe the second quote adds an insight to your point regarding narcissism. Yes there is an element of vanity, but it is tempered in the sharing of the opinion. A social narcissism, if you will, that ultimately leads one to the realization that it is possible to love another as much as yourself.

Also you are over thinking this.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 What!

+ 100 means that they would agree with the statement if asked a 100 times

+1 is a good thing. It pretty much means props' date=' but people go overboard and lessen the meaning by posting "+9999999999999999999999"

+1 is just props. I like it.[/quote']

+1000 doesn't mean they represent 1'000 people' date=' it means that the more digits follow the first numeral, the more they agree with the post they reference.[/quote']

I have three different people saying three different things, based on the same concept.

JP24 seems to be on the same page as me, where the "+1" is a literal "+1" to the opinion, like "Add one more to this, I agree."

Carnages says that it has to do with the amount of times asked, which I am not going to lie, it seems ridiculous, Why would an opinion on a matter change after being merely asked the same question a bunch of times. I could understand if there were counter-arguments to the claim that could sway and opinion in between the interrogatory segments, but this isn't what was said.

Enigma says it has to do with a scale of agreement. This seems fallacious to me because there is no limit to the agreement scale, where does one's capacity for agreement end? I there a minimum level of agreement I can attain? Because that would be the numeric value I place to this concept. Do disrespect intended, Enigma is my Homeboy.

I have three different people saying three different things' date=' based on the same concept.

JP24 seems to be on the same page as me, where the "+1" is a literal "+1" to the opinion, like "Add one more to this, I agree."

Carnages says that it has to do with the amount of times asked, which I am not going to lie, it seems ridiculous, Why would an opinion on a matter change after being merely asked the same question a bunch of times. I could understand if there were counter-arguments to the claim that could sway and opinion in between the interrogatory segments, but this isn't what was said.

Enigma says it has to do with a scale of agreement. This seems fallacious to me because there is no limit to the agreement scale, where does one's capacity for agreement end? I there a minimum level of agreement I can attain? Because that would be the numeric value I place to this concept. Do disrespect intended, Enigma is my Homeboy.[/quote']

a combination of the first and third... I also consider "+1" is a literal "+1" to the opinion, like "Add one more to this, I agree." however, if some people need to express their agreement more then a simple +1 they will chuck a couple of naughts behind it. There's not really an accurate scale to represent how many naughts represent how much the guy agrees.

the second one... I doubt the 101st time someone is asked the same question he will all of a sudden change his mind.

a combination of the first and third... I also consider "+1" is a literal "+1" to the opinion' date=' like "Add one more to this, I agree." however, if some people need to express their agreement more then a simple +1 they will chuck a couple of naughts behind it. There's not really an accurate scale to represent how many naughts represent how much the guy agrees.

the second one... I doubt the 101st time someone is asked the same question he will all of a sudden change his mind.[/quote']

to me when someone does that +1000 its because they really strongly agree with it. Doesn't have to be taken literally.

Depends on whom make the thread wether I give them a +1 or a -1.

Generally nowadays I simply give them stars from the rate the thread option.

See what I gave this thread ?

Word homie, thanks.

Most people seem to disagree with me. I think the term "narcissist" angered a few people, oops.

Well the term "narcissist" can be viewed in many ways.

I like the term personally. Don't know why peeps would get angered - :confused:

Meh, no one really could provide a feasible definition or formula for the term "+1," so my question is still generally unanswered.

I think my explanation of the term was spot on. I think confusion of the term's meaning is what causes the multiple digits, not narcissism. I am not implying ignorance, as it doesn't have a strict meaning, the "+1" seems to mean different things to different people.

"+1" is a subjective notion, it has a varying definition or formula, thus I cannot get an definite answer to my original question, as one does not exist.

Was that redundant?

Meh' date=' no one really could provide a feasible definition or formula for the term "+1," so my question is still generally unanswered.

I think my explanation of the term was spot on. I think confusion of the term's meaning is what causes the multiple digits, not narcissism. I am not implying ignorance, as it doesn't have a strict meaning, the "+1" seems to mean different things to different people.

"+1" is a subjective notion, it has a varying definition or formula, thus I cannot get an definite answer to my original question, as one does not exist.

Was that redundant?[/quote']

Redundant ? No way Jose' -

I think the general feeling for the +1 is the person is agreeing

with the other person in regards to their post.

They like what was typed & in short the post +1 as they agree.

That's what I make of it anyhow.

Archived