If Mexicans class Cain Velasquez as mexican...

Bodini91

I have often been confused by his nationality myself.

I am sure that the EA MMA video game demo I played had Overeem on it, represented by an English flag.

However all other references I have ever seen of his point to Netherlands.

Yet he speaks with a London accent.

I mean, it is not for anybody to "claim" him as being their own. He is what he says he is. I just don't know what it is he himself claims to be.

He may have been born in the England but neither of his parents are English & never once in his fights has he been announced from England it's ways been from the Netherlands but if i am wrong on that somebody correct me.

His father is a Jamaican immigrant who has fully emigrated to England and holds a UK passport. His mother is dutch and lived in the UK for 8 years, but never applied for UK citizenship. Alistair was born in England and lived there for the first 6 years of his life. On the English birth register his ethnicity is classed as Black - British.

From a bringing up point of view and culture, his upbringing was dutch.

It is all symatics really, his birth certificate has him as being British, his passport says he is a dutch national. He can actually claim to be either British or Dutch, it is his choice.

You get the same with international football (or soccer if you a yank!), players can represent a country that were either raised in or born in, it is their choice

I am sure that the EA MMA video game demo I played had Overeem on it' date=' represented by an English flag.

Yet he speaks with a London accent.

I mean, it is not for anybody to "claim" him as being their own. He is what he says he is. I just don't know what it is he himself claims to be.[/quote']

He speaks with a heavy Dutch accent, I do not know who you are listening to. Cains both parents come from Mexico and trace to latin descent for as long as recorded i heard. Overeem is of many ethnicities.

It works like this.

Lets take Jon Jones (I dont like him but ill use him as an example). The americans will claim he is american. Yet his bloodline stretches back to Africa.. (hence the term african american.). But the americans still call him american instead of african. He isn't a pure native of america (Who is, to be fair aside from the indians).

So the way I see it with reem is like this.

Yes, his father is Jamaican however... only his bloodline is. His father wasn't born in Jamaica, he was born in England.. as was Alistair. So it all comes down to how you define a nationality.

Do you have to be born there, or braught up there?

Slash from guns and roses for example, born and raised in England until he was 5 or 6 yet speaks with an american accent and went to school in both countries... yet he's also half black. So what do you class his nationality?

IMO Overeem is half english half dutch. Purely on the basis of 1) he was born in england, his father was born in england and his mother was dutch and he was raised in Holland. thats all there is to it.

I am sure that the EA MMA video game demo I played had Overeem on it' date=' represented by an English flag.

[b']Yet he speaks with a London accent.[/b]

I mean, it is not for anybody to "claim" him as being their own. He is what he says he is. I just don't know what it is he himself claims to be.

LOL thats one weird London accent then ^^

Its simple. There are two ways that people are given their nationalities according to country laws. I will use America and Germany as expamples:

America uses the law of the land, so anyone born in America is American.

Germany uses the law of blood, so anyone with a certain percentage of German in their bloodlines (which has to be a high percentage and provable...like your mom or did is german) can get a German passport regardless of where they are from.

Im not sure what the law in England is like. Im pretty sure its the same as the States, but dont quote me. But if Overeem was born in England but moved before he was old enough to remember I would personally consider him dutch.

Tito and Cain(regardless of his Brown Pride tattoo) are Americans. They may have Mexican heritage, but they arent mexican. But theres no problem with being proud of your heritage...

I just hate it when people feel that they are strongly connected to a culture just because their great grandparents where from that culture, but havent actually visited or lived that culture.

I can't wait for this thread to evolve (or devolve, if you will) into a semi-informed debate about nationality, ethnicity, and race. I think we should have a "Is Cain Velasquez Mexican?" thread every month just to keep our chops up!

Cain identifies himself as an American with strong Latino (more specifically Mexican) roots. He has the little USA flag next to his name, and I'm sure the UFC didn't just put it there without his input. Part of the whole "first Mexican HW champion" is pure marketing by the UFC in an effort to expand its audience and get more $$$$.

Anyway, if that's how Cain identifies himself then that's good enough for me. I generally don't watch MMA in order to investigate the self-identifying behavior of the fighters.

Archived