Jones in Pride ?

MIRKO_CRO_GOD

NO!

reason 1: his G&P would be seriously lacking with the elbows being illegal.

reason 2: the yellow card system would force him to be more agressive with his punches while G&P. With his long arms he would have to posture up a long way which would lead to his opponent getting submissions or getting back to their feet.

reason 3: the crazy japanese would force him to fight in "freak show" events against much larger opponents where he wouldn't hold an advantage

reason 4: shogun can use stomps and soccer kicks :D :D

reason 5: Jones has shown to fall to the mystique of hype, in the Rampage fight he had a very specific style and gameplan, it has been revealed that in japan the fighters would be given 2 weeks notice on who they are fighting, so Jones would not have a specific gameplan formulated in that time, and crumble in the fights setup for the champs to build their status of his name.

reason 6: Pride died :(

NO!

reason 2: the yellow card system would force him to be more agressive with his punches while G&P. With his long arms he would have to posture up a long way which would lead to his opponent getting submissions or getting back to their feet.

reason 3: the crazy japanese would force him to fight in "freak show" events against much larger opponents where he wouldn't hold an advantage

reason 5: Jones has shown to fall to the mystique of hype' date=' in the Rampage fight he had a very specific style and gameplan, it has been revealed that in japan the fighters would be given 2 weeks notice on who they are fighting, so Jones would not have a specific gameplan formulated in that time, and crumble in the fights setup for the champs to build their status of his name.

reason 6: Pride died :([/quote']

Fanboi loser actually brought up Shogun in the same sentence as Bones?? lololol

Shogun vs Jones was like Matt serra vs GSP' date=' it was a fluke win, Shogun will win the rematch[/quote']

+1 who expected Jones to throw that flying knee in the opening moments?!? That rocked shogun for the rest of the fight, believe me when I say Shogun will be ready for Jones next time, especially considering the info he will get from Jones fight with Rampage and the upcoming fight with Machida.

+1 who expected Jones to throw that flying knee in the opening moments?!? That rocked shogun for the rest of the fight' date=' believe me when I say Shogun will be ready for Jones next time, especially considering the info he will get from [b']Jones fight with Rampage[/b] and the upcoming fight with Machida.

Imagine if Shogun trains TDD with Rampage, he would be unstoppable :eek:

But that wont happen because Rampage wants a rematch with him

+1 who expected Jones to throw that flying knee in the opening moments?!? That rocked shogun for the rest of the fight' date=' believe me when I say Shogun will be ready for Jones next time, especially considering the info he will get from Jones fight with Rampage and the upcoming fight with Machida.[/quote']

lool

i kinda like the 2 week notice thing on fights (if its true). because that way the fighters would regularily train and they would probably be told they have a fight, just not knowing against who. that way they wouldnt be able to study the opponents and the fight would really show whos better

Imagine Jon Jones if he had been his age and had his same attributes....but under Pride rules. How do you think he would've done?

Discuss. :cool:

Well his delicious elbows wouldn't have come into play, but Jones' long legs kicking grounded opponents in the head, I can certainly see some KOs there.

Being the athlete that he is, I'm sure he would have worked on knees and kicks much more and I'm sure he would have been successful.

• 2 weeks later...
NO!

reason 5: Jones has shown to fall to the mystique of hype' date=' in the Rampage fight he had a very specific style and gameplan, it has been revealed that in japan the fighters would be given 2 weeks notice on who they are fighting, so Jones would not have a specific gameplan formulated in that time, and crumble in the fights setup for the champs to build their status of his name.

lol nice!

• 1 month later...

As has been mentioned, Jones wouldn't be able to use his elbows and that pretty much eliminates all of Jones' current KO/TKO wins.

The ring isn't very conducive to long clinches against the ropes, which is how Jones tends to set up a lot of his throws by pressing guys against the cage and taking his time. Shooting would be risky, as stuffed takedowns in Pride FC resulted in soccer kicks and knees in the head.

Flipside, he could use his long legs to good advantage when stuffing other people's takedowns or if he could toss them and stay standing.

So he'd have some success. Facing the top guys at 205 in Pride? Well...Chute Boxe ruled that division. I can't imagine a Jones without a cage or elbows surviving Wandy's Thai Plum, or Shogun's blitzing hands and ruthless ground punishment. He would've been a star, just likely not a champ.

NO!

I understand stomps and soccer kicks are a very big part of Shogun's game, but I don't think he would have an opportunity to use them

Instead of throwing elbows when he got guys down he would of just gone for side control and smashed knees in there faces, none of the top names in pride would have come close to getting him down so footstomps and soccer kicks wouldn't of made any dif.

It's one thing being a hater of someone but it's another thing being a blind hater.

NO!

/agree

I've seen a few Jones fans quick to say he'd adapt.

Sure, it's possible. I just see three big problems if Jones had fought in Pride versus UFC.

1) Elbows. Let's be realistic that Jones' best strikes are his elbows. Sure, he has long reach with his hands and feet, but he uses them more to keep people at range until he can trap them against the fence. He hasn't shown much improvement with his hands or kicks as threatening weapons in and of themselves, and considering the power he could get into them with as long as they are, that's kinda sad.

2) Ring. Jones is a great Greco-Roman wrestler that can use leverage and pressure from the cage to get his takedowns in dramatic fashion. Take away the cage and put him in a ring, he will have to rely a lot more on shooting to get takedowns. (Which is where soccer kicks and stomps come into play if a striker can sprawl and get to his feet fast enough to punish a would-be takedown) Without the cage Jones would have to work much harder for his takedowns.

3) Cardio. Nobody seems to talk about how Jones tires past two rounds. Look at his fights against Bonnar, Rua, and Jackson. Bonnar seriously won Round 3 against Jones because he was pretty much gassed. Jones wasn't in much better shape against Rua in the third there. He wasn't as gassed, but he was definately tiring. Against Rampage Jones was clearly fighting at a slower pace and biding his time to cause damage. Imagine if Jones fought a 10minute first round. Without that break after 5 minutes to refocus on gameplan, to recover some energy....he would waste his energy very quickly. Jones is dynamic and inefficient and must improve on this or rematches against some fighters will go very poorly for him.

Jones would definately still be a good fighter, but like I said before, I have a hard time seeing him be able to dominate Wandy or Shogun in the Pride ring.

Yes soccer kicks and knees to the head of grounded opponents, but no on elbows to the grounded opponent, which is like one of his top finishing moves.

He would do great, but he wouldn't stop fights as quickly... Then again, he might be a killer with his soccer kicks and knees to the head.

Archived