5-4 - 1 Title shot, loss - 2x Fight of the Night

11-3 - 0 title shots - 3x Fight of the Night

9-3 - 1 title shot, loss - 4x Sub of the night

11-4 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the night, 1 Fight of the night

9-5 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the Night

8-4 - 0 title shots - 2x Sub of the night, 2x Fight of the night

10-3 - 1 title shot, loss - No awards

6-2 - 0 Title shots - 1 Fight of the night

Looking at this objectively. Without considering trash talk, or who has the best style to try and take the belt who really deserves the next shot. Title shots are earned, not given out for best trolling, or having the most controlling style.

Ill repost this after a little discussion with the names attached to the chart.

Or maybe the 6-2 with 1 FOTN if he beats Leben at 138. I'm not sure who the other one I picked (12-3) is though.

I believe you unwittingly endorsed Bisping for #1 contender.

Though if it is, OP messed up. Bisping's UFC record is 11-3 and total pro record is 21-3

:P it's cool...yup' date=' records aren't always what they show out to be...still can't figure out who the 11-4 is though :confused:[/quote']

I can't either. I just looked at the records of everyone that Anderson Silva has beaten for the title, and no one matches. I even went back to Franklin's title reign and couldn't figure it out. Maybe it's someone who isn't in the UFC anymore. I don't know.

I can't either. I just looked at the records of everyone that Anderson Silva has beaten for the title' date=' and no one matches. I even went back to Franklin's title reign and couldn't figure it out. [b']Maybe it's someone who isn't in the UFC anymore[/b]. I don't know.

I was right. It's Marquardt.

Top contenders UFC Records - Middleweight

Chael Sonnen 5-4 - 1 Title shot, loss - 2x Fight of the Night

Michael Bisping 11-3 - 0 title shots - 3x Fight of the Night

Demian Maia 9-3 - 1 title shot, loss - 4x Sub of the night

Nate Marquardt 11-4 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the night, 1 Fight of the night

Vitor Belfort 9-5 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the Night

Alan Belcher 8-4 - 0 title shots - 2x Sub of the night, 2x Fight of the night

Yushin Okami 10-3 - 1 title shot, loss - No awards

Mark Munoz 6-2 - 0 Title shots - 1 Fight of the night

Looking at this objectively. Without considering trash talk, or who has the best style to try and take the belt who really deserves the next shot. Title shots are earned, not given out for best trolling, or having the most controlling style.

Nate Marquardt was only included as a point of reference. Obviously he cant get a title shot, but he was a top contender, and I included him for a point of reference.

This does show Bisping as the msot deserving. But the main point of this was to show that chael does not deserve 2 title shots with a ufc record of 5-4.

Ill have to double check Bispings record, I counted 12-3. I will double check to see if I was wrong.

I believe simply looking at the numbers is misleading and only a partial depiction of the "title picture." One would need to know who those wins are, who the losses are, what the fights themselves looked like, what the finishes were. Simply going off of numbers is a discredit to the complexities of this sport, in my humble estimation. Otherwise what's to say Jeremy Horn, at 88 wins and a 77% victory percentage isn't the most deserving? Now I'm not attempting to downplay the validity of Gumby, as I am a great admirer of his career, but I certainly wouldn't suggest he face Silva for the Title.

MMA is not an "objective" sport. It's highly subjective, which is one of the unique elements that for me acts as such a draw.

realistically it should be Bisping vs Munoz (providing they win their respective fights) for the shytle tot.

I do agree. I feel like Bisping/Munoz should get a chance soon. But should Miller beat Bisping, I would like to see Miller vs Sonnen for the title shot.

I believe simply looking at the numbers is misleading and only a partial depiction of the "title picture." One would need to know who those wins are' date=' who the losses are, what the fights themselves looked like, what the finishes were. Simply going off of numbers is a discredit to the complexities of this sport, in my humble estimation. Otherwise what's to say Jeremy Horn, at 88 wins and a 77% victory percentage isn't the most deserving? Now I'm not attempting to downplay the validity of Gumby, as I am a great admirer of his career, but I certainly wouldn't suggest he face Silva for the Title.

MMA is not an "objective" sport. It's highly subjective, which is one of the unique elements that for me acts as such a draw.[/quote']

Well said sir.

I believe simply looking at the numbers is misleading and only a partial depiction of the "title picture." One would need to know who those wins are' date=' who the losses are, what the fights themselves looked like, what the finishes were. Simply going off of numbers is a discredit to the complexities of this sport, in my humble estimation. Otherwise what's to say Jeremy Horn, at 88 wins and a 77% victory percentage isn't the most deserving? Now I'm not attempting to downplay the validity of Gumby, as I am a great admirer of his career, but I certainly wouldn't suggest he face Silva for the Title.

MMA is not an "objective" sport. It's highly subjective, which is one of the unique elements that for me acts as such a draw.[/quote']

I'm going to lead the 'Jeremy Horn deserves a title shot' campaign now!

This is very true. And im not silly enough to think that, since the record is the best. Bisping should get an immediate shot. Im simply trying to counter the illogical spamming calling for Sonnens second title shot with a 5-4 record. Chael is an impressive fighter. But I really want to see Silva clear the division. While Chael actually earns his shot.

Its a known fact that wrestlers counter Silva's style. But just because of that fact, shouldnt mean we keep throwing wrestlers at him that havnt earned it just to challenge Silva the most.

So thats my purpose in posting pure numbers and trying to leave the names out for a discussion.

Who do you write for and how many times have you won MMAJUNKIE.com's Sunday Junkie contest?:confused:

This is very true. And im not silly enough to think that' date=' since the record is the best. Bisping should get an immediate shot. Im simply trying to counter the illogical spamming calling for Sonnens second title shot with a 5-4 record. Chael is an impressive fighter. But I really want to see Silva clear the division. While Chael actually earns his shot.

Its a known fact that wrestlers counter Silva's style. But just because of that fact, shouldnt mean we keep throwing wrestlers at him that havnt earned it just to challenge Silva the most.

So thats my purpose in posting pure numbers and trying to leave the names out for a discussion.[/quote']

His record is 5-4 in the ufc but your holding on to 2 loses that date all the way back to 05, 06 like those 2 fights mean something.

From 2009 to now Sonnen has faced Maia, Miller, Okami,Marquartd, Silva and Stann. In that span he went 4-2 only losing to Maia and Silva while dominating very tough competition.

Guess who shares the same record as Sonnen since 2009? 4-2 Bisping against lesser competition.

Sonnen no doubt about it has faced tougher competition than anyone in the MW division.:cool:

From 2009 to now Sonnen has faced Maia' date=' Miller, Okami,Marquartd, Silva and Stann. In that span he went 4-2 only losing to Maia and Silva while dominating very tough competition.

[/quote']

So from 2009 a Win over Marquardt miller okami and Stann warrants 2 title shots?

Sonnen has faced the tougher compitition indeed. But 4-2 should not grant him 2 title shots. Take sonnens trolling out of the picture and these discussions wouldnt even be happening.

I disagree.

I could care less about Sonnen's words. I think he is trying to promote a fight he wants, and it's a fight a lot of fans want.

Realistically, can you see anyone that has been on a streak that has "earned" a shot that can legitimately threaten Silva?

Bisping? Maia? Belfort? Palhares?

Two of those have already lost in such a HUGE way that people don't want to see the rematch because Maia hasn't improved dramatically enough to be a threat and Belfort clearly hasn't been trying to improve because he talks about Silva's kick as a lucky shot.

Bisping has never managed to beat contender level opponents, is he worth putting against one of the best champs in the game?

Palhares is somewhere between Belfort and Maia in terms of skills he possesses, but hasn't really built a run that makes him look like a worthwhile match.

Sonnen, while he lost to Silva and then didn't fight for a year, did have a dominating win over Stann, and possesses skills that pushed Silva to the furthest we've ever seen in his UFC run. People want to see the rematch to see what would happen the second time. It's compelling because of the "what ifs?" and because people just plain want to see good fights that test the best in the sport, and nobody aside from Chael Sonnen has really stuck out as being able to test Silva.

That is why a rematch should and will happen.

I find myself agreeing with carnages. (Not often that happens!)

Looking just a records doesn't help at all. Chael's overall UFC record looks bad from his initial stint in the UFC that got him cut. He seemed to have improved and was brought back, and has been fighting very well. Bisping has a longer UFC record, and has been run down out of the LHW division only to lose a decision to an aging Wandy and get smashed by Hendo.

And also, Fight of the Night bonuses aren't much to hang your hat on. Sexyama has as many FOTN bonuses as Bisping and two of them were for losses.

I find myself agreeing with carnages. (Not often that happens!)

Looking just a records doesn't help at all. Chael's overall UFC record looks bad from his initial stint in the UFC that got him cut. He seemed to have improved and was brought back' date=' and has been fighting very well. Bisping has a longer UFC record, and has been run down out of the LHW division only to lose a decision to an aging Wandy and get smashed by Hendo.

And also, Fight of the Night bonuses aren't much to hang your hat on. Sexyama has as many FOTN bonuses as Bisping and two of them were for losses.[/quote']

yes, this was pointed out already, and i said earlier in this thread; Im not stupid, i know Bisping doesnt deserve his shot yet. But im trying to counter the irrational logic of Sonnens immediate title shot just because he is a wrestler and wrestlers give Silva the most difficulty.

I for one want to see Sonnen fight more then once a year. Get this man a fight while he waits for Silva to recover. Silvas next fight should be Sonnen, but Sonnens next fight should not be SIlva.

yes' date=' this was pointed out already, and i said earlier in this thread; Im not stupid, i know Bisping doesnt deserve his shot yet. But im trying to counter the irrational logic of Sonnens immediate title shot just because he is a wrestler and wrestlers give Silva the most difficulty.

I for one want to see Sonnen fight more then once a year. Get this man a fight while he waits for Silva to recover. [b']Silvas next fight should be Sonnen, but Sonnens next fight should not be SIlva.[/b]

The only issue that would arise with Silva's next fight being Sonnen could be Sonnen losing, then a raging firestorm of Anderson fans angry when Sonnen then challenges their hero, especially if in that fight Chael won. It'd be like the crazy rage people had when Lesnar beat Couture for the belt.

Chael Sonnen dealt with tough competition which is why his record isn't attractive...which makes Anderson Silva that much amazing as a fighter. Michael Bisping needs to fight tough competition before he faces Silva. From what we've seen from Bisping do you think he presents a challenge to Anderson Silva? Does he stand a chance? I think you have to ask yourself that question before you want Bisping to fight the number 1 fighter in the world

5-4 - 1 Title shot' date=' loss - 2x Fight of the Night

[b']11-3[/b] - 0 title shots - 3x Fight of the Night

9-3 - 1 title shot, loss - 4x Sub of the night

11-4 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the night, 1 Fight of the night

9-5 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the Night

8-4 - 0 title shots - 2x Sub of the night, 2x Fight of the night

10-3 - 1 title shot, loss - No awards

Trash talk has nothing to do with it. The fact of the matter is that Sonnen took Silva right to the limit and was minutes away from a dominating win.

That is why he deserves the rematch.

That was one sad line-up. It's funny to see the fame of this overrated cash cow running out. It's pathetic that no one is talented enough at MW to contest him, because the MW is weak. Which is how he got his stature.

Ko of the night and Sub of the night should have no place in your argument for who is top contender. Those two fake awards are for entertainment purposes only, they have no say on who is the best until the rules change.

Horrible evaluation of fighters..

Munoz got rocked by Maia who is trying to learn stand-up. Munoz would get wobbled going in for a takedown and get finished in my opinion.

Bisping would stand absolutely no chance. He probably won't even make it past Miller this fall. I would love to see him get KO'd though. It's amazing that he brags on the show that he is the champion of a TUF season and Miller is beneath him. :rolleyes: Please make this match-up if they don't give Sonnen the shot, so we can see a different version of the Hendo finish.

Hendo seems like a logical choice. I don't see why he has to come from Strikeforce with the LHW belt and has to fight Shogun. It really doesn't make sense because we all know Hendo comes to fight and he said he would fight at 185 if the Silva fight was made. I'm not saying he would win but he stands a better chance than 99% of the middleweight division.

The best option is still Sonnen. Every fight fan should be scrambling for this fight because the possible outcomes are staggering- fight of the night, ko of the night, submission of the night, biggest upset in UFC history, possible retirement (for you Sonnen haters), immediate rematch (for you Silva lovers), Silva retires (Silva haters), and finally Ed Soares losses his biggest client, can't get anymore fighters, and leaves the business (Everyone wins!).

5-4 - 1 Title shot' date=' loss - 2x Fight of the Night - [b']Sonnen[/b]

11-3 - 0 title shots - 3x Fight of the Night - Bisping

9-3 - 1 title shot, loss - 4x Sub of the night Maia

11-4 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the night, 1 Fight of the night Hendo?

9-5 - 1 Title shot, loss - 1 Knock out of the Night Belfort

8-4 - 0 title shots - 2x Sub of the night, 2x Fight of the night Munoz

10-3 - 1 title shot, loss - No awards Okami

IMO it should be Munoz or Bisping next for the title shot, but the marketability though...

Archived