Whose a better wrestler: GSP or Sonnen?

waikru

Chael has been wrestling his whole life' date=' so he has that argument. Makes you wonder how insane GSP's wrestling would be if he had significant experience prior to training MMA.

Ill say Chael slightly, only because of the problems he gave Anderson.[/quote']

GSP's wrestling greatly improved after he lost to Serra, right around the time he started juicing.

Sonnen's wrestling level is on another planet compared to GSP. Sonnen is a WRESTLER GSP is not

The only thing GSP is good at is taking people down' date=' I dont remember anyone finishing a fight with a takedown[/quote']

GSP is only good at taking people down who have no ground game like Hardy and Alves

Wrestling isn't just about take downs, Chael has great take downs and control from the top, look how he handled Stann when Stann KNEW that's what Chael was going to do. As soon as the fight hit the ground it was all Chael. Jake Shields stuffed a few of GSP's take downs.

^Hardy' date=' Thiago Silva, Bj Penn....[/quote']

BJ Penn is notorious for having some of the best takedown defense in the sport, especially the times he fought George. Koscheck, Fitch and Hughes in their prime he dominated them terrible and those are some of the best wrestlers in the sport, he chucked Shields to the ground like it was nothing too just didn't want to keep it there.

Honestly, GSP has shown the best takedown game against the best wrestlers out of anyone in Mixed Martial Arts, just shut the hell up trying to discredit it. Thiago Alves doesn't have bad takedown defense at all, just because Fitch and GSP can put you on your back doesn't mean you have bad takedown defense, he stuffed Koscheck and Hughes takedowns quite well and is actually a lot more well rounded than idiots give him credit for just because they like be hateful.

Give me a break, Hardy was 4-0 when GSP fought him, Alves was on a 7 fight winstreak and beat some great competition, BJ Penn? Really...don't hate on BJ fool.

I have wrestled my entire life and if you are meaning WRESTLING not MMA wrestling Sonnen wins by a drastic mile. In MMA GSP is just fantastic, it's then only word for it, at timing his shots and mixing them with strikes.

The best pure wrestler to come into the UFC I'm gonna argue it to be Couture then Sonnen and Hendo. These three were able to excel to the highest level in scholastic and Greco.

Also adding I am a huge fan of amateur wrestling, just adding more for my fan-ship of Sonnen as well as mostly all of my favorite fighters are top level wrestlers. With Fedor being the only one I can think of that isn't.

Sonnen by far if were talking takedowns from shots and from the clinch game. He has a far more complete wrestling game and his double is pretty much flawless. He is awesome at getting great positioning before you can even react. He's the best finisher of takedowns countering opponents defenses the UFC has ever had. His technique really makes it look easy and he's explosive and strong as an ox to boot.

GSP is much better at mixing his striking to bait people in and it makes him a better wrestler than he actually is. He is also explosive and powerful with well excuted timing but the difference is Chael is more versitile in his wrestling game and has better positioning and uses perpetual motion to take his opponents down and they do most of the work for him. They almost take themselves down Chael just flows powerfully into what the opponent gives him based on thier defense/counter. He does powerhouse it to finish but his postioning and movement with the opponent is second to none.

GSP relies more on out muscling his opponents than Chael does and his clinch wrestling game is no where near as good.

GSP is much better on the ground with positioning mainly because he understands BJJ to a higher level.

BJ Penn is notorious for having some of the best takedown defense in the sport' date=' especially the times he fought George. Koscheck, Fitch and Hughes in their prime he dominated them terrible and those are some of the best wrestlers in the sport, he chucked Shields to the ground like it was nothing too just didn't want to keep it there.

Honestly, GSP has shown the best takedown game against the best wrestlers out of anyone in Mixed Martial Arts, just shut the hell up trying to discredit it. Thiago Alves doesn't have bad takedown defense at all, just because Fitch and GSP can put you on your back doesn't mean you have bad takedown defense, he stuffed Koscheck and Hughes takedowns quite well and is actually a lot more well rounded than idiots give him credit for just because they like be hateful.

Give me a break, Hardy was 4-0 when GSP fought him, Alves was on a 7 fight winstreak and beat some great competition, BJ Penn? Really...don't hate on BJ fool.[/quote']

And? Sonnen is just simply a better wrestler. I'm not saying GSP has no wrestling skills because that would be foolish. He has beat wrestlers but the fights with Fitch, Kos, Hughes, and Shields were mostly stand-up fights. Just because he dominated the fight standing up doesn't mean he has better wrestling than someone who uses it as a crutch to beat all opponents instead of just ones that pose a threat to him standing. There is no need to get upset about it; it is what it is.

Also, hardy (4-0) and Silva (7 fight win streak) adds up to 11. Silva is on a 14 fight win streak and 11 defenses, and he got dominated by Sonnen even though he eventually won with a fantastic triangle.

Wrestling its sonnen....yes he lack sub d but that not wrestling that bjj....if the op asked who is the better all around grappler then ok maybe its gsp

And gsp set up 90 precent of his takedowns with his striking...take that away and his wrestling is lowed a really good ammount....sonnen does not need to set up his wrestling

In Mixed Martial Arts' date=' Georges St. Pierre no doubt when you compare who they have outwrestled, and how easily they got their takedowns it's GSP hands down in my opinion.

Sonnen may have better amateur wrestling credentials but this isn't amateur wrestling, sorry to tell you folks.[/quote']

This^

MMA - GSP

Pure Wrestling - Sonnen

Question wasn't who is a better MMA fighter. It was who is a better wrestler. From a pure wrestling standpoint, Sonnen easily.

Unlike a lot of people in this forum, I like GSP, but if he was in just a wrestling match with Sonnen, he would lose in the first period.

I voted Sonnen under the idea that, if the two fought in a wrestling match, Sonnen would win... however, since GSP is far more well-rounded than Sonnen, GSP's application of wrestling in MMA is better and I might go as far to say that, if the two fought in a submission grappling competition (like ADCC), GSP would probably win since he is more actively training in BJJ...

I voted Sonnen under the idea that' date=' if the two fought in a wrestling match, Sonnen would win... however, since GSP is far more well-rounded than Sonnen, GSP's application of wrestling in MMA is better and I might go as far to say that, if the two fought in a submission grappling competition (like ADCC), GSP would probably win since he is more actively training in BJJ...[/quote']

The world has forgotten Gsp is a Gracie Black Belt under Renzo in Jiu Jitsu.

Sonnen is the better all around wrestler ' date=' but nobody has more explosive take downs than gsp. Sonnens division does not have much competition wrestling wise.where gsp defends against wrestlers constantly.can you imagine holding the welterweight strap without good wrestling, or tdd..[/quote']

matt serra ftw!!!!:P

Archived