Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic appreciation thread.

Mirko4life

It's too bad he couldn't do more in the UFC so people would have more respect for him... Half the newbie MMA fans think he's a can, but they havn't witnessed what we did while he was in Pride.

A legend of the sport for sure, an inspiration for many, and the reason I got into, and started training MMA.

Personally, since the UFC bought Pride, I think he should be inducted into the HOF b/c of what he did over there, and to the sport in general. But his lack of wins in the Octagon might hold him back from that.

What do you guys think?

Either way, a sad day for true MMA fans everywhere.

It's too bad he couldn't do more in the UFC so people would have more respect for him... Half the newbie MMA fans think he's a can' date=' but they havn't witnessed what we did while he was in Pride.

A legend of the sport for sure, an inspiration for many, and the reason I got into, and started training MMA.

Personally, since the UFC bought Pride, I think he should be inducted into the HOF b/c of what he did over there, and to the sport in general. But his lack of wins in the Octagon might hold him back from that.

What do you guys think?

Either way, a sad day for true MMA fans everywhere.[/quote']

Zuffa should make some MMA hall of fame.

Mirko did a lot for MMA. Crocop was a mixed marital arts pioneer just like how guys like Randleman and Coleman showed the world how affective a world class wrestler could be, and how Gracie showed how effective a world class BBJ practitioner could be. Crocop showed how good an elite striker could be in MMA.

My all time favourite fighter, I only watched him fight once and that was against Gonzaga :(

Farewell from all true MMA fans.

P.S. Thanks for some of the best highlight reels ever made. These will NEVER be matched.

Zuffa should make some MMA hall of fame.

Mirko did a lot for MMA. Crocop was a mixed marital arts pioneer just like how guys like Randleman and Coleman showed the world how affective a world class wrestler could be' date=' and how Gracie showed how effective a world class BBJ practitioner could be. Crocop showed how good an elite striker could be in MMA.

My all time favourite fighter, I only watched him fight once and that was against Gonzaga :(

Farewell from all true MMA fans.

P.S. Thanks for some of the best highlight reels ever made. These will NEVER be matched.[/quote']

This is exactly what I was thinking. They really need to do this.

With all due respect to BJ Penn, there was 1 legend tonight who spoke of his career being over, and it wasn't him.

Mirko Filipovic has been a fighter in decline. He never adapted well to the rules and style of cage fighting in UFC. He has had a few wins, but more losses. The writing has been on the wall. The ferocious assaults, especially high kicks with that left leg of doom...simply haven't been there.

We've seen glimmers of his former greatness. Fights where he dominated middle talent HWs like Al-Turk and Perosh, and surprised us all with a RNC win over Pat Barry. Some losses were ugly, the KO loss to Gonzaga, a verbal submission to JDS when he couldn't see to fight. A few losses were disheartening for their potential. His fight with Kongo where he clearly suffered several groin hits, getting knocked out by Schaub after Cro Cop was rallying back from a bad first round toward winning a decision, and then his fight against Nelson.

After the second round, when he had Nelson cornered and was teeing off on "Big Country" but the fat man just wouldn't drop you could see the ferocity that had been building died. You saw a discouraged Cro Cop unsure what to do, who was then simply making Nelson chase him and not really committing to a discernible strategy to win.

It's sad to hear Cro Cop talk of retirement. It is pretty clear he cannot fight at all like he used to, as much as we wish he could. With all of his inspiring victories, highlights, and unswerving sporstmanship, he will be dearly missed.

People talk of some superstars of today as "the Michael Jordan of MMA," when the truth is nobody was a human MMA highlight reel before Mirko Filipovic. He is an all-time great fighter, a humble superstar, and (what I admire most) family man. I hope Cro Cop continues to train, because martial arts is a part of him. But I hope after a morning or afternoon session he goes home to his family, or to his coffee bar to be among his friends, and enjoys his well-deserved rest after so much combat.

It has been an honor and a privilege to watch a great man test himself against other men for our entertainment. Thank you, Mirko, thank you so very much.

Archived