My assessment of Nick Diaz

dfwGSP

I've been saying all along that Nick Diaz is garbage. His boxing is sloppy, his BJJ is overrated, and his chin is okay, but not as good as advertised. And tonight, he did earn some respect and proved me wrong in many ways:

* He took a beating, from Penn nonetheless, and still hung in there. He really is tough.

*He landed some good shots, and showed he really does have some power

However, I also feel:

* He takes too many punches, and he still is a little sloppy

* He is too slow to stop some of the better wrestlers at WW

* I was told he had insane cardio, yet he tired out after 3 rounds. That is not good for a WW contender.

And by the way, GSP finished Penn, Diaz could not....:eek:

I've been saying all along that Nick Diaz is garbage. His boxing is sloppy' date=' his BJJ is overrated, and his chin is okay, but not as good as advertised. And tonight, he did earn some respect and proved me wrong in many ways:

* He took a beating, from Penn nonetheless, and still hung in there. He really is tough.

However, I also feel:

* I was told he had insane cardio, yet he tired out after 3 rounds. That is not good for a WW contender.

And by the way, GSP finished Penn, Diaz could not....:eek:[/quote']

I agree. and GSP finished a Penn in his prime.

I've been saying all along that Nick Diaz is garbage. His boxing is sloppy' date=' his BJJ is overrated, and his chin is okay, but not as good as advertised. And tonight, he did earn some respect and proved me wrong in many ways:

However, I also feel:

And Penn was in his prime.

I agree, great post.

Penn quit' date=' there's a difference.

This is a classic GSP nutloving thread, and I expect better from you.[/quote']

Not really, I was trying to give him some props. I totally dogged him going into this fight, and he proved me wrong in many ways. Congrats to him. However, he wasn't as impressive as advertised.

I agree with everything other than he did have cardio in the third round.

He was slow and stopped moving around. he was also clinching alot. That made it seem to me that he was tired.

This' date=' all the GSP fans are trying to downplay this win, like its nothing. This fight was HUGE, he just beat bj mother****ing penn.[/quote']

of course it was a great victory, but GSP beat BJ mother****ing Penn back when he was a legit title contender, Diaz isn't doing anything new

However, I also feel:

freakin lol, of an assesment,

"sloppy boxing" from someone who has never boxed before

"overrated Bjj" - from someone who has never rolled before

"ok chin" - from someone who has never taken a punch to the face before.

without watching the fight i can pretty much guess Penn probably lost round one, found his timing and won round 2, and proceeded to gas out in round 3.

I like Penn and everything but unless you finish him all your proving is you were able to withstand a 2 round storm.

P.S. i would of made more of an attempt to watch this card but after seeing the results i cant say im not contempt with letting this one slide

Seemed to me that Penn's will got broken about halfway through the second round. He should have been shooting way more than he did. But the primary reason he got beat, imo, was the size and reach difference. Penn is a good welterweight, but he's a great lightweight. Instead of retiring he should return to 155 where he belongs.

without watching the fight i can pretty much guess Penn probably lost round one' date=' found his timing and won round 2, and proceeded to gas out in round 3.

I like Penn and everything but unless you finish him all your proving is you were able to withstand a 2 round storm.

P.S. i would of made more of an attempt to watch this card but after seeing the results i cant say im not contempt with letting this one slide[/quote']

actually, Penn won round 1, got picked apart in round 2 and 3

freakin lol' date=' of an assesment,

"ok chin" - from someone who has never taken a punch to the face before.[/quote']

"Judgements" from someone who has never met me before.

"ok chin" - from someone who has never taken a punch to the face before.[/quote']

1) It was sloppy boxing.

2) Good BJJ, but poor wrestling

3) He was hurt in the first round.

He would have showed up for the title fight if they didn't cancel it' date=' blame Dana.[/quote']

What makes you think he would have? If you had an employee that wasn't showing up to work, not answering your phone calls, and not accepting the flights you were booking him do you really think he'd show up when you need him most? Would you even know if he was alive if you didn't see him running out the back door when you visit to see if he's okay? He wasn't showing, not in my eyes.

What makes you think he would have? If you had an employee that wasn't showing up to work' date=' not answering your phone calls, and not accepting the flights you were booking him do you really think he'd show up when you need him most? Would you even know if he was alive if you didn't see him running out the back door when you visit to see if he's okay? He wasn't showing, not in my eyes.[/quote']

You can't prove any of that actually happened. The post said Diaz didn't show up for the title fight, which is a lie.

You can't prove any of that actually happened. The post said Diaz didn't show up for the title fight' date=' which is a lie.[/quote']

I did word that wrong, I apologize, but I can only go by what Dana said in that Sherdog article that was posted on here. And since no one in Diaz's camp denied it, and since they tried to explain why it happened, I tend to believe it really did happen.

I did word that wrong' date=' I apologize, but I can only go by what Dana said in that Sherdog article that was posted on here. And since no one in Diaz's camp denied it, and since they tried to explain why it happened, I tend to believe it really did happen.[/quote']

I agree with what you are saying. When Diaz was pulled from the main event, I made about 100 posts arguing, I won't argue with you. I appreciate your respectful answer, as well.

I agree with what you are saying. When Diaz was pulled from the main event' date=' I made about 100 posts arguing, I won't argue with you. I appreciate your respectful answer, as well.[/quote']

No prob, thank you as well. If you don't believe it's true, that's fine. It's not set in stone, and Dana isn't exactly an honest guy. All of this is based on an assumption that I chose to make, nothing more.

well what are your credintials? playing ufc undisputed?

I've been doing bjj for 3 months now

Muay thai for a year

I've been doing Muy Thai for only a year, but I've done BJJ for the past 4. Regardless, I don't need credentials to judge, no one does. I didn't say his BJJ sucked, but it was a popular belief that he would sub GSP, and if you watch GSP's top game, it's easy to see why I have a valid argument.

If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. I wasn't being belligerent about it, just stating how I felt.

I've been doing Muy Thai for only a year' date=' but I've done BJJ for the past 4. Regardless, I don't need credentials to judge, no one does. I didn't say his BJJ sucked, but it was a popular belief that he would sub GSP, and if you watch GSP's top game, it's easy to see why I have a valid argument.

If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. I was being belligerent about it, just stating how I felt.[/quote']

duly noted, i like the common courtesy

+1 Diaz's boxing is top notch best western pugilist since Tyson.

Diaz blocks too many punches with his face. If Penn wasn't gassed' date=' [b']he would have cut Diaz badly, and Diaz risked losing by TKO[/b].

And if I was the President of China, the point is you can't play the "if" game Penn gassed and Diaz took advantage, you had no control what would, could, should have happened in the fight it's rediculous to say "oh this would have happened if this,this,this, and this hadn't occured". Are you Nostrodamus?

* He took a beating, from Penn nonetheless, and still hung in there. H[b']e really is tough.[/b] Well durr, - he's a bad ***

*He landed some good shots, and showed he really does have some power - Huh? errone knows he does not have that much power, put he keeps coming at you..

However, I also feel:

* He takes too many punches, and he still is a little sloppy - Its called his style (unorthodox)

* He is too slow to stop some of the better wrestlers at WW - lol, WAR Cesar Jiu Jitsu

* I was told he had insane cardio, yet he tired out after 3 rounds. That is not good for a WW contender. - this made me lol

And by the way, GSP finished Penn, Diaz could not....:eek: - LOL, how long ago? If it was a 5 round fight it would have been over, so point invalid

Lets break down this troll post....

/

GSP is Skurd...

And if I was the President of China' date=' the point is you can't play the "if" game Penn gassed and Diaz took advantage, you had no control what would, could, should have happened in the fight it's rediculous to say "oh this would have happened if this,this,this, and this hadn't occured". Are you Nostrodamus?[/quote']

You are right, but Penn is known to gas after one round, GSP or Condit won't gas.

And if I was the President of China' date=' the point is you can't play the "if" game Penn gassed and Diaz took advantage, you had no control what would, could, should have happened in the fight it's rediculous to say "oh this would have happened if this,this,this, and this hadn't occured". Are you Nostrodamus?[/quote']

You can play the "if" game. In fact, you almost have to. The end result alone is never enough to evaluate a fighter's performance or talent. "If's" are how you learn, how you judge, and how you prepare in the future.

However, I also feel:

diaz definetly didnt gas

And Penn was in his prime.

I agree' date=' great post.[/quote']

Yup, that chubby, out of shape Penn was definitely "in his prime"...

How do you people not understand that if Penn isn't at LW, no matter what the point in his career it is, then that's not a "prime" Penn. Penn is just too small for WW, and it really shows in his cardio.

Penn gasses after 1 round, but GSP fans still hang their hat on the whole "GSP made Penn quit" argument, even though Penn was just too tired to go into the 5th round.

Hell, even if Penn was winning a championship fight at WW, he would still probably be unable to walk after 4 rounds. But you GSP fans can keep smiling back at that one "great" moment 3 years ago.

However, leave that tub of vaseline out of it :)

Archived