does nick diaz has good boxing?

button_man

Boxing in MMA is not the same as Boxing in the ring, so don't compare him to Mayweather to determine if he is a good boxer.

The best striker is the most effective striker not the most technical, doing what he did against Cyborg, Zaromskis, Daley, Lawler and BJ Penn is truly incredible. He has amazing hands despite how unorthodox they are.

Boxing in MMA is not the same as Boxing in the ring' date=' so don't compare him to Mayweather to determine if he is a good boxer.

The best striker is the most effective striker not the most technical, doing what he did against Cyborg, Zaromskis, Daley, Lawler and BJ Penn is truly incredible. He has amazing hands despite how unorthodox they are.[/quote']

^ perfectly stated.

And to add to that he is adding a lot more power behind his hands than he had been in the past without adding a long wind up or anything. He is getting very good Boxing one of the best at WW and his BJJ is really good and often makes up for his questionable wrestling.

^ perfectly stated.

And to add to that he is adding a lot more power behind his hands than he had been in the past without adding a long wind up or anything. He is getting very good Boxing one of the best at WW and his BJJ is really good and often makes up for his questionable wrestling.

Am I the only one remembering BJ take Diego and Fitch down quite a few times? Both amazing wrestlers in MMA, he could barely take Nick down once and when he did Nicks BJJ shined against BJ the Jiu Jitsu world champion.

Also I want to say, Diaz is a prime example of abusing his strong points. Amazing chin, amazing cardio, His striking compliments is great attributes beautifully.

Am I the only one remembering BJ take Diego and Fitch down quite a few times? Both amazing wrestlers in MMA' date=' he could barely take Nick down once and when he did Nicks BJJ shined against BJ the Jiu Jitsu world champion.

Also I want to say, Diaz is a prime example of abusing his strong points. Amazing chin, amazing cardio, His striking compliments is great attributes beautifully.[/quote']

Diaz is great at using what he does best.

But on the wrestling part from a pure wrestling stand point Diaz is questionable IMO because of the confidence that he has in his ground game. He can stuff a some takedowns and can create some of his own but he isn't afraid of being on his back which leaves him open to be taken down. After that it becomes a scramble.

Diaz is great at using what he does best.

But on the wrestling part from a pure wrestling stand point Diaz is questionable IMO because of the confidence that he has in his ground game. He can stuff a some takedowns and can create some of his own but he isn't afraid of being on his back which leaves him open to be taken down. After that it becomes a scramble.

Don't have much confidence he could make it much of a scramble if Fitch, Gsp or Rumble took him down and kept low to his chest and threw little pitter patters to buy time to a lay and pray decision. Lets be real.

Guys like Tyron Woodley, Johny Hendricks, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger I don't see being able to get him down effortlessly and he'd threaten with submissions, tire out, start to stuff and beat down.

Boxing in MMA is not the same as Boxing in the ring' date=' so don't compare him to Mayweather to determine if he is a good boxer.

The best striker is the most effective striker not the most technical, doing what he did against Cyborg, Zaromskis, Daley, Lawler and BJ Penn is truly incredible. He has amazing hands despite how unorthodox they are.[/quote']

basically i'm just more impressed with cain and jds boxing.can't compare him with pro-boxers.just having thoughts that if he fought a WW with also a good reach and head movements,would he still outstrike his opponent.

Don't have much confidence he could make it much of a scramble if Fitch' date=' Gsp or Rumble took him down and kept low to his chest and threw little pitter patters to buy time to a lay and pray decision. Lets be real.

Guys like Tyron Woodley, Johny Hendricks, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger I don't see being able to get him down effortlessly and he'd threaten with submissions, tire out, start to stuff and beat down.[/quote']

Nick is long enough that if he uses an open guard heels on hip or a knee inside and one heel on the other hip like Kenflo likes to use he might be able to prevent the stall and press the action.

if he plays closed guard he's gonna have a hard time dealing with that strategy but every round starts on the feet again.

Rumble imo is the most dangerous guy Nick could face atleast the first round or two until he gasses.

basically i'm just more impressed with cain and jds boxing.can't compare him with pro-boxers.just having thoughts that if he fought a WW with also a good reach and head movements' date='would he still outstrike his opponent.[/quote']

In a MMA fight, he's a way better striker than Sergio Martinez or Andre Ward, in a boxing ring they are way better strikers. It's worthless to compare I agree, but people think " good boxing in MMA, must compare to pro boxing" which is people who don't understand the sport terribly well.

I think Cain is more of a kickboxer than boxer, he has great kicks trust me. I actually think Cain is faster than Junior, but I also think Junior is crisper and more technical, and puts his hands together better. That fight is going to be amazing.

Boxing in MMA is very subjective because people don't understand the vast difference, it should almost be said " who has the best hands in mma " not the best boxing.

It's hard to say there's a lot of people to mention.

Junior Dos Santos, Gegard Mousasi, Vitor Belfort, Nick Diaz, Frankie Edgar, Eddie Alvarez, Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustaffson. Some that come to mind honestly.

Don't have much confidence he could make it much of a scramble if Fitch' date=' Gsp or Rumble took him down and kept low to his chest and threw little pitter patters to buy time to a lay and pray decision. Lets be real.

Guys like Tyron Woodley, Johny Hendricks, Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger I don't see being able to get him down effortlessly and he'd threaten with submissions, tire out, start to stuff and beat down.[/quote']

I think Rumble's wrestling is a little over hyped offensively and is better at using it in a Chuck Liddell sort of way.

Fitch is much more of a grinding wrestler than GSP (imo) and I think that would actually make it easier for Diaz to be effective. He is much more predictable with his TDs and they aren't as explosive.

I think guys like Kos or GSP would be much more effective against Diaz since they are more explosive than Fitch or Rumble and set things up much better. BJ got him down because he did it when Diaz wasn't really expecting it. GSP and Kos are much stronger so they could control Diaz.

But even then I think Diaz is good enough to give them all issues on the ground if it went there and they all could end up preferring (except for Fitch) to try and stand with Diaz.

or he just have a good reach advantage and good chin?he looks sloppy when he throws his right.

Take a MMA Stand up class or even try boxxing and find out yourself!

In short answer yes! He drops his hands on purpose to bait people but when he actually boxes its a great display of combinations.

Freddie Roache has said in the past he thinks Diaz is the best boxxer in MMA.

In a MMA fight' date=' he's a way better striker than Sergio Martinez or Andre Ward, in a boxing ring they are way better strikers. It's worthless to compare I agree, but people think " good boxing in MMA, must compare to pro boxing" which is people who don't understand the sport terribly well.

I think Cain is more of a kickboxer than boxer, he has great kicks trust me. I actually think Cain is faster than Junior, but I also think Junior is crisper and more technical, and puts his hands together better. That fight is going to be amazing.

Boxing in MMA is very subjective because people don't understand the vast difference, it should almost be said " who has the best hands in mma " not the best boxing.

It's hard to say there's a lot of people to mention.

Junior Dos Santos, Gegard Mousasi, Vitor Belfort, Nick Diaz, Frankie Edgar, Eddie Alvarez, Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustaffson. Some that come to mind honestly.[/quote']

comparing with cain's movement especially when he glides from left to right and his head movement.i have to agree with jds is more technical.frankie has some good movements also with his hands.most likely i just see that nick is not that too technical when he trades punches.

In short answer yes! He drops his hands on purpose to bait people but when he actually boxes its a great display of combinations.

I keep hearing people say this but i've never seen it. I've heard him say that about Penn though a few times.

This^^^

Great Post

i'm training in boxing and muay thai.my main argument is that does nick diaz will ever out strike his opponent if his opponent has better reach than him?

i'm training in boxing and muay thai.my main argument is that does nick diaz will ever out strike his opponent if his opponent has better reach than him?

This is not really a fair argument puttting his attributes or skillset in it's own little bubble.

Would jones be as effective without his reach?

Would Cain be the terror he is without his cardio?

Would GSP be able to take people down at will if he wasn't so explosive with his shot?

I imagine they would be totally different fighters if they had different attributes.

The fact is they use what they have well and they all have skill to complement those attributes

This is not really a fair argument puttting his attributes or skillset in it's own little bubble.

Would jones be as effective without his reach?

Would Cain be the terror he is without his cardio?

Would GSP be able to take people down at will if he wasn't so explosive with his shot?

I imagine they would be totally different fighters if they had different attributes.

The fact is they use what they have well and they all have skill to complement those attributes

i understand that its a part of them already.but what i'm just thinking that if his boxing would be that effective to somebody who has a good reach also?

i understand that its a part of them already.but what i'm just thinking that if his boxing would be that effective to somebody who has a good reach also?

Hard to say really but i think he'd do fine.

You will be hard pressed to find an opponent that has his reach, durabilty and skill level.

Condit is about the only person right now i can think of that comes close to fitting that bill and even he wouldn't have a reach advantage.

Archived