Bj Penn Overrated

Gabri1985

IMO yes he was, i know lots of ppl love him and think he was amazing and that's fair enough i just think people go on about ohh he had all this potential he "could" be this and "could" be that.

Fact of the matter is he was never what ppl tried to make him out to be, his Cardio for most of his career for a professional athlete was woeful, i also think he wouldn't dominate this lightweight division as its way stronger then anytime he was in it.

Now flame on.

IMO yes he was' date=' i know lots of ppl love him and think he was amazing and that's fair enough i just think people go on about ohh he had all this potential he "could" be this and "could" be that.

Fact of the matter is he was never what ppl tried to make him out to be, his Cardio for most of his career for a professional athlete was woeful, i also think he wouldn't dominate this lightweight division as its way stronger then anytime he was in it.

Now flame on.[/quote']

im a BJ fan but i know where your coming from man he has alot of potential but he doesn't seem to deal with adversaty well. After the 1st edgar fight i thought BJ was gonna come back for the 2nd fight and destroy him but edgar outclassed him in the 2nd fight and BJs thinking screw this i cant beat this guy il jump up in weight. He destroys matt hughes draws with fitch then gets beat by diaz and he basically says if i can't be the best without minimal effort im not going to compete. I used to love BJ but i find it really hard to respect that attitude I hope he comes back and has another good try at LW

i agree BJ is somewhat overrated. I had always find him lacking in some aspect of his game. BJ call himself a scraper, but Diaz show BJ how bad of a scraper he really is. At the end of the fight, he feel sad, knowing he's got beaten in his own game. He was heartbroken, and said he wants to retire. I think it is the first tight BJ got beaten like this, i hope he realize how much more work he got to do, if he want to continue fighting. I'm sure he will not retired, he was just saying that cuz he was just too emotional about his loss.

I agree he is overrated and have been saying that for years. People shouldn't get offended, because that doesn't mean he isn't a great fighter. He's only overrated in the sense that so many of his fanboys try to present him as the greatest fighter ever, when statistically, he's barely a top 10 at best. If it wasn't for his win against Matt Hughes, his legacy wouldn't be any better than a guy like Rich Franklin. How many people do you see touting Rich Franklin as the greatest fighter ever? People would get laughed at if they made such an argument. The only difference is Franklin hasn't attained a belt at LHW. Perhaps he could've when he was the MW champ in his prime..?

I rank BJ somewhere closer to Tito and Franklin on the all time greatest list. He's not in the same league as Liddell or Couture, et al, though.

He was a prodigy who never lived up to his hype, but still managed to have a decent run.

the tragic thing about BJ is that he really could be the best in the world if he put his excuses aside, learned from his losses, and built up his cardio... its a damn shame too since it's not like Liddell who is a great fighter but keeps getting KO'ed... BJ has a lot more control over his situation and now he's quitting? I thought he was going to fight to the death?

I don't expect everyone to agree its just my opinion, he did win titles at two weight classes however he never defended the welterweight title and when he came back to the division (in the ufc) he only one won fight against a past it Matt Hughes.

He is a very good fighter but i wouldn't have him anywhere near the best of all time debate.

I agree he is overrated and have been saying that for years. People shouldn't get offended' date=' because that doesn't mean he isn't a great fighter. He's only overrated in the sense that so many of his fanboys try to present him as the greatest fighter ever, when statistically, he's barely a top 10 at best. If it wasn't for his win against Matt Hughes, his legacy wouldn't be any better than a guy like Rich Franklin. How many people do you see touting Rich Franklin as the greatest fighter ever? People would get laughed at if they made such an argument. The only difference is Franklin hasn't attained a belt at LHW. Perhaps he could've when he was the MW champ in his prime..?

I rank BJ somewhere closer to Tito and Franklin on the all time greatest list. He's not in the same league as Liddell or Couture, et al, though.

He was a prodigy who never lived up to his hype, but still managed to have a decent run.[/quote']

well put

the tragic thing about BJ is that he really could be the best in the world if he put his excuses aside' date=' learned from his losses, and built up his cardio... its a damn shame too since it's not like Liddell who is a great fighter but keeps getting KO'ed... BJ has a lot more control over his situation [b']and now he's quitting[/b]? I thought he was going to fight to the death?

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2011/10/31/b-j-penn%E2%80%99s-retirement-could-already-be-off-the-table-after-he-tells-coach-%E2%80%9Ci%E2%80%99ll-be-back%E2%80%9D/

Looks as if he may not retire after all :D War BJ!!

Not sure how people can call him overrated seeing as he's won titles in 2 weight classes

I do think Randy is overrated aswel' date=' not Hughes or Chuck though.

But like i said i don't expect everyone to agree.[/quote']

So, the only two who ever won titles on two different weight classes (One of whom over 40 years of age) are overrated. It sure takes quite a lot to make you appreciate someone...:rolleyes:

What would you have BJ (Or Randy) do to earn the amount of respect they (rightfully) get?

I think BJ really needs to be fighting at LW' date=' and no he is not overrated, if he did not gas out after the first round he would of beat Diaz! :eek:[/quote']

YES!

So' date=' the only two who ever won titles on two different weight classes (One of whom over 40 years of age) are overrated. It sure takes quite a lot to make you appreciate someone...:rolleyes:

What would you have BJ (Or Randy) do to earn the amount of respect they (rightfully) get?

YES![/quote']they have my respect i never said they didn't i just think there over rated, Randy won the heavyweight title he beat a load of average heayweights (imo) he would get no where near the title now same at light heavy.

Well, let's see: titles in two weight classes, 11 title fights, 1x Fight of the Night, 2x Sub of the Night, 1x KO of the Night, only losses were to Pulver, Machida, GSP, Hughes, and Edgar, 26 fights without ever being knocked down, multiple BJJ competition gold medals, most successful LW title defenses, and most LW wins in UFC history. Yep, definitely overrated. :rolleyes:

I get what you're saying' date=' and I wouldn't say BJ or Randy are the greatest of all time...

They are both legends of the sport. I don't think that saying that is making them overrated though.[/quote']

Only 2 fighters to ever hold titles in 2 different UFC weight classes there both legends! only MMA noobs would debate otherwise

As much **** as I've spoke about Penn being a whinny baby, I have no issue saying hes not overrated. The guy is a warrior and I almost teared up when he said he was retiring. He'd fight anybody, anytime, anywhere, problem is that because he dealt well with bigger guys early in his career, he felt he could still hang with them. He's a Fearless warrior and I hope that he continues to fight, preferably at 155.

It's posts like this that remind me why I never log on here as much anymore.
if you don't like it you don't have to read it, hell the title kind of gave away what the post was about.

I didn't expect many ppl to agree but thats not why i posted, Cardio is quite a big part of being a fighter it's all well and good having the skill but if you ain't going to get yourself in shape then thats your problem. He said in the countdown show ppl flame his cardio but he just hadn't been doing it right and this time would be dif the he goes and gases half way into the second round.

For me Penn had the talent but he was lazy and couldn't be bothered putting the hours in the gym in the end that cost him.

If you believed this' date=' you wouldn't have Fedor as the GOAT![/quote']

Because his better days may be behind him too does not change they way I think about him.Are you one of those wagoneers that jump from sack to sack pending on their current streak?Fedor brings it to every fight regardless.How many fighters can we say that about?There is only a true handfull that are true fighters at heart,and the rest are pretenders.Funny thing is.....I believe Anderson is in that handfull and needs to let greatness find him rather than trying to steer his own diluted destiny.Get rid of Soars and become a legend.Four fights?Who is he kidding?Legends fight til they been ko'd four or five of their last fights,lol.

I see a lot of people don't understand what overrated means.

No one is saying he isn't great.

at least someone gets it, i know he is one of the all time greats i just don't think he is quite as amazing as ppl make him out to be, lots of ppl would say he is top 3-5 in the all time list and imo he just isn't.

i dont think penn is over rated....he was jsut from an era that was over rated....

Penn's spiral down started a few years back....and he same-is fighting style is what got hime where he is today...

go back a few years and hsi division was not as stacked...he he loked alot better than he really is...the main problem is ..is that fighters are having to get better and better..and evolve faster and and faster...and penn didnt...he stayed the same.and those hwo he beat years ago..evolved and he got left behind....

penn...and his type are slowly being left behind and icked to the curb by highly skilled..evoilving fighters....the facts are the facts..thats all....

Well' date=' let's see: titles in two weight classes, 11 title fights, 1x Fight of the Night, 2x Sub of the Night, 1x KO of the Night, only losses were to Pulver, Machida, GSP, Hughes, and Edgar, 26 fights without ever being knocked down, multiple BJJ competition gold medals, most successful LW title defenses, and most LW wins in UFC history. Yep, definitely overrated. :rolleyes:[/quote']

^ this i really dont see how you think hes overrated...

IMO yes he was' date=' i know lots of ppl love him and think he was amazing and that's fair enough i just think people go on about ohh he had all this potential he "could" be this and "could" be that.

Now flame on.[/quote']

BJ Penn is a LW who had some fights at different weight classes and lost in those weight classes

Only lost to 2 men via decision in LW (Pulver/Edgar)

1 out of 2 men to win 2 different belts in 2 different weight classes

Most UFC LW wins

Those stats tell me he isn't overrated just normal

Your just a WWE noob 100%

Well' date=' let's see: titles in two weight classes, 11 title fights, 1x Fight of the Night, 2x Sub of the Night, 1x KO of the Night, only losses were to Pulver, Machida, GSP, Hughes, and Edgar, 26 fights without ever being knocked down, multiple BJJ competition gold medals, most successful LW title defenses, and most LW wins in UFC history. Yep, definitely overrated. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Amen to this no way he's overrated. But you guys need to stop making excuses for Penn "if he did'nt gas he would have beat Diaz" boo ****ing hoo the reason why he gassed was because Diaz was ripping his body with shots in the second round, BJ did not gas in the first that's false and you know it's true.

Well put.

CLAPPING-GIF.gif

Archived